Happy Thanksgiving Canada!

Only one question for you today, Monday CFL or Monday Night NFL Football?

Alex
Alex
October 8, 2012 4:10 pm

neither. Using a free Redbox rental I got sent today. If I was watching sports, my order would go:

1. baseball
2. RAW
3. MNF
4. CFL

Another Steve
Another Steve
October 8, 2012 4:26 pm

Just listening to Friedman’s defence. He is really titling his stats to suit his argument. He says that someone like Brian Cashman of the Yankees wouldn’t count because he played college baseball. However, Cashman played division III baseball at The Catholic University of America, which is like playing on a rec team.

I did some stats myself a few weeks ago when I heard that roundtable, and, since the theme of the discussion was baseball, I noticed that only about half of the current major-league GMs played ball at a high level. History doesn’t suggest that it is necessary; rather, it only suggests that the people who hired the GMs thought it was necessary to be a former player. [For example, it’s silly to argue that women can’t be good at higher positions in academia merely because they were excluded from those jobs for decades. It only shows that people were historically biased.]

What makes this argument so silly is that Friedman is simply saying that he doesn’t feel that he could do the job. That’s fine – he’s a journalist. Political reporters shouldn’t feel that they themselves should be politicians. But just because he can’t do it himself is not the sign that everyone else should be excluded.

October 8, 2012 4:27 pm

1) MLB playoffs
2) MNF

And I had no idea there was a CFL game tonight. Are people watching the CFL here? I’ve tried to get into it here and there over the last few years, but just can’t get into it.

Ami_Angelwings
Ami_Angelwings
October 8, 2012 4:45 pm
Reply to  Another Steve

It’d be interesting to see if Wilner gets into it with Friedman about this topic on the roundtable if the topic comes up.

(Another) Andrew
(Another) Andrew
October 8, 2012 5:57 pm
Reply to  Daniel

I just overheard on TV that Winnipeg were 3 and 10 (I think) and they can still make the playoffs! Surely not. That encapsulates right there why I can’t be bothered with the CFL. For me the NHL has too many teams making the playoffs therefore rendering much of the regular season action a waste of time. The CFL though takes it to a whole new level.

October 9, 2012 1:54 pm

Yeah. With 6 of 8 teams making the playoffs, it really does feel bush league.