By Ami Angelwings
4pm hour – Bob McCown hosting
First segment: Interview with Jack Armstrong, Raptors colour commentator
- Jack talks about how he likes Dwayne Casey as a coach
- Bob thinks that the Raptors have a lot of depth and competition at positions, Jack agrees
Second segment: Interview with Gregg Zaun, Sportsnet baseball analyst
- Zaun and Bob talk about Ichiro dodging around Matt Wieters to score, Zaun says it’s perfectly legal as long as Ichiro doesn’t go outside the dirt
- Zaun blames Wieters for not camping at the plate and trying to chase Ichiro
- Zaun likes Chen, says that he’s different than other “Asian” pitchers and throws fastballs rather than trying to trick opponents
5pm hour – Bob McCown hosting, Stephen Brunt co-hosting
First segment: Talk segment
- Bob talks about his trip to Ottawa
- Brunt and Bob discuss the skydiver who is jumping from the edge of the atmosphere
Second segment: Interview with Nick Kypreos, Sportsnet hockey analyst
- Kypreos talks about the lockout, Bob thinks that nothing will get done unless there’s a hard deadline to force the sides to deal
Third segment: Interview with Scott Diamond, starting pitcher for the Minnesota Twins
- Diamond talks about the surprising Chicago White Sox who kept it close with the Tigers
- Diamond talks about Team Canada and the upcoming World Baseball Classic
6pm hour – Bob McCown hosting, Stephen Brunt co-hosting
First segment: Interview with Don Banks, Sports Illustrated football analyst
- Banks talks about his suggestion that Cam Newton may be the next Vince Young, compares the two
- Banks talks about how the Buffalo Bills may need to overhaul their team and management
- Banks thinks the Packers will struggle to make the playoffs, but notes that the last time they started off poorly, they got hot down the stretch and won the Super Bowl
- Banks doesn’t think the Saints can come back and make the playoffs
- Banks thinks that Michael Vick’s problem is that he’s no longer good enough to overcome his sloppiness
Second segment: Interview with Michael McCann, Sports Illustrated legal analyst
- McCann talks about the Sandusky sentence, that victim groups are outraged over the relatively short sentence
- Brunt asks how likely his appeal will be successful, McCann says it’s very unlikely
- Brunt asks if Sandusky will be segregated from the general prison population, McCann says that in Philadelphia, they do not segregate sex offenders from the general population
- McCann says that Sandusky can be tried if additional allegations come out
Third segment: Interview with Jonah Keri, Grantland.com baseball writer
- Keri talks about the Montreal Expos and how their fans aren’t cheering for the Nationals
- Brunt thinks the natural direction for their anger should be the Marlins and Jeffery Loria, Keri says that a lot of fans do not focus all their hatred on Loria because there were many other factors at play
- Bob asks if a new stadium would have helped, Keri said it would have extended a lifeline to the Expos, but a new rich owner would still have to be found and that could have taken a decade
I’m impressed with the MLB playoffs coming up, Bob managed to not talk about them today, while having 3 baseball guests. The closest was when he and Zaun talked about Ichiro, but that was about a specific play. There wasn’t a segment about what happened in the various games or any analysis about how the teams are playing. I’m amazed that they had Keri on during the playoffs and just talked about the Expos.
It’s not necessarily a complaint, but I find it strange that on their big radio show (called “Prime Time” no less), with the baseball playoffs being the biggest sporting event on the radar currently, Sportsnet somehow doesn’t have anybody on to actually talk about them.
Is Kypreos scheduled to be on every week even if there’s a lockout? I can’t imagine what they’re going to be talking about if this lockout continues.
I know I sound like a broken record, but Banks was informative as usual. There really isn’t anything more I can say because he’s there to give us his analysis of the previous week of NFL football and I think he did a good job, as he usually does.
The Sandusky interview was well done, I thought, and they managed to get quite a lot of information about the subject while showing the right amount of anger that I think most listeners wanted to hear.
I’m unsure why Scott Diamond was on. Does Sportsnet have the Baseball Classic this year?
I’m glad Zaun clarified what the rules were about a player trying to avoid a tag at home, because I honestly was a little confused by some of the things I’d been hearing (like from Blair this morning).
That’s 4 of the last 5 weeks that Brunt’s been the co-host. I wonder if this means that they’ve decide Brunt is the “main” co-host now, and he’ll be on the most, or if that means we’re due for 4 straight weeks of Cox soon.
Photo available here