By Ami Angelwings
4pm hour – Listener calls with Bob McCown
- Most calls are about who to hire for the next Jays manager, a couple are about the NHL lockout
- Bob thinks that the Jays should get Ozzie Guillen to be the Jays manager, not just because it would be fun for the media, but because he thinks Guillen would have a strong hand on the players
5pm hour – Bob McCown hosting, John Shannon co-hosting
First segment: Interview with Gregg Zaun, Sportsnet baseball analyst
- Zaun talks about the Giants and how impressed with them he’s been, especially with their pitching
- Zaun agrees with Bob that the Jays should hire Ozzie Guillen, thinks that Guillen would shape up that clubhouse
- Zaun blames Alex Anthopolous, not John Farrell, for the clubhouse & on the field discipline issues, says that it sounds as if Farrell wasn’t allowed to go after certain players
Second segment: Interview with Bob Nicholson, president of Hockey Canada, vice president of the IIHF
- Nicholson is on to tout Hockey Canada’s new app that promotes concussion awareness
Third segment: Talk segment
- Bob and Shannon talk about the NHL lockout, Bob again suggests his plan that the owners would lockout the players for a year, and then open the doors up to scab players on the owner’s terms
- Bob and Shannon talk about David Stern stepping down in 2014 as NBA Commissioner and how much they respect him
6pm hour – Bob McCown hosting, John Shannon co-hosting
First segment: Interview with Doug MacLean, Sportsnet hockey analyst
- MacLean talks about the NHL lockout and that the NHL should contract 6 franchises
- Bob and MacLean discusses the possibility of moving teams to better locations
Second segment: Interview with Michael McCann, Sports Illustrated
- McCann discusses Cantor Gaming manager, Michael Colbert being arrested for illegal bookmaking and money laundering
- Bob and McCann have a discussion about sports gambling, and the issues with legalizing it
Third segment: Interview with Charles Grantham, former NBPA executive director
- Grantham shares his thoughts and memories on dealing with David Stern back when Grantham was executive director of the NBPA
Um. Is Bob SURE that he wants Ozzie Guillen to be manager of the Blue Jays? The same Ozzie Guillen who once used the English version of the homophobic slur that Bob had an issue with Escobar writing on his face? Both Bob and Zaun seem to think that Guillen would be a strong hand on the players and not let all the things they didn’t like this year happen. But, my reading of Guillen is that he would probably have defended Escobar and said that what Escobar did and wrote is fine. I think Bob would have been even angrier about that than Farrell’s weak defense of Escobar. I find Bob’s romanticizing of Guillen as Jays manager to be kind of weird, given how much Bob cares about professionalism and players behaving a certain way. Would he really want a manager who has a history of behaving that way himself?
So, Zaun is now 100% on the “everything is Alex’s fault” train. It’s not that I know whether or not Alex or John is to blame for the issues the Jays faced discipline wise last year, but the only person who is saying that it was Jays management protecting players is John Farrell. He’s not exactly an unbiased source, especially since his press conference was about why he wasn’t to blame for the Jays issues and why Boston fans shouldn’t be concerned that he’s a manager who will have players making bad baserunning decisions. Zaun’s quick to believe it though, because it fits into the puzzle he’s been building for the last month, that poor Jays management is the core issue of the Jays woes.
The hockey lockout talk is always the same on PTS. When Bob’s not interviewing anybody, he rips Gary Bettman, and proposes his plan that the owners will break the union using scabs. When Kypreos is on, it’s about how Bettman’s ego is to blame, when MacLean is on, they talk about how 6 NHL teams should be folded or moved. And on and on and on. Oh yeah, also MacLean implies that if HE were still a general manager, he’d be doing things much better.
I do agree with MacLean that Shannon should stop interrupting people when they talk though, especially with his ear-splitting interjections like “COME ON!” and “SHAZAM!” and “WHAT ABOUT XYZ! DON’T FORGET ABOUT XYZ!” He’s become a cartoon version of himself.
Obviously, the Hockey Canada app isn’t going to magically fix concussions, but it does seem to be a useful tool for players or parents of players who are concerned about these things. http://www.hockeycanada.ca/index.php/ci_id/186078/la_id/1/ I’ll give it a plug here, just in case anybody missed the articles or radio shows about it. 🙂
Somebody should do some stats on just how many segments on PTS have ben about the hockey lockout or anything about John Farrell in the last 2 months. I suspect, quite a lot.
Photo available here