Just What Is Going On With The Blue Jays?

By TSM

“But here’s the thing: Only Anthopoulos knows the depth of the rot left behind, and only he knows the back-story”

The rot left behind??

Yikes!!

Where did that come from?

“Are there things that need to be undone after a year under a manager who would be guilty only of human nature if he weren’t at least slightly distracted by the pretty young thing across The Fens? If so, who could do it? Another bright young thing who would be on the same page as Anthopoulos? A wiser, old hand? How much managerial experience does he need? Is winter ball and minor-league experience enough? How about major-league playing time – and how recent does it have to be?”

Guys like Blair spend a lot of time around the teams they cover.

They see things they don’t often report on and you have to wonder given this take by Blair, just what the hell is really going on with the Blue Jays.

More importantly, if things are indeed rotten, should Alex Anthopoulos be allowed to be the one to fix the rot???

Blair is the only writer I’ve seen who suggest there may be rot, let’s see what happens.

Still with the Blue Jays, I like this take by Stephen Brunt:

“spending money for the sake of spending money isn’t normally a sound operating philosophy. But the cynicism that crept into the conversation in the latter stages of this season, the rumblings about ownership being “cheap,” could quickly become corrosive, and erase all of those happy thoughts about the Jays’ bright future.”

All good will this version of the the franchise had is now gone. They need to hit home runs this offseason. The fan base is pissed.

Falling apart? 2 things. The CHLPA and the Markham NHL arena. Anyone surprised?

Kudos to Hockey Central guys for going Kiss for Halloween. Their show is doing strong despite absolutely nothing to talk about.

I know, you are all in a betting mood. Which outlet is going to nail the Jays skipper announcement? More importantly, will it be local or south of the border.

cam
cam
November 2, 2012 8:00 am

My bet is Rosenthal breaks the manager news. I would be willing to place TSM’s paycheck on the fact it won’t be local media. When is the last time a personnel move was broken by local media? I think a better bet is does it happen before the winter meetings.

Heard a clip from Romero on Tim & Sid in which he basically said he was surprised at the timing of 11:30 on a Saturday night not that Farell went to Boston. I suspect you bring someone in who wants to do this job and the focus for the players is reset pretty damn fast.

I also think that Brunt is right on the mark; there has to be some show of good faith towards the fans. The hardcore will remain engaged but in my opinion they need a splash to get those back who were just beginning to invest/reinvest in the team. Problem is, if reports are right, this may be a very tough off season to make it happen.

mike in boston
mike in boston
November 2, 2012 9:27 am

there can be no question that there was a cultural problem on the the 2012 Jays. The combination of the Lawrie meltdowns/gaffes, the Yunel fiasco, and the parting shots by Vizquel are too hard to collectively ignore. There might be more problems that we have not heard about yet.

the reason this is worrisome is that this team is built on the promise of young talent + a couple of guys who are in their prime. If you have to clean house to get rid of the rot, then you’re not left with much. So, the manager has to be someone who can control the culture without exacerbating the existing problems. That’s a mighty task for a new manager. It’s going to take someone with a lot of confidence and gravitas.

I have no idea who that person is right now.

mike in boston
mike in boston
November 2, 2012 9:29 am

unrelated: just listened to the TSN1050 Reporters roundtable. Very good radio. Solid opinions, very little time wasted on inside yuks, petty insults, or talking about one’s golf game.

If I’m TSN RADIO i put this on every friday for 2 hours from 4-6 or 5-7.

cam
cam
November 2, 2012 10:43 am

Really unrelated but a truly unfortunate characterization of the Toronto Fan in article by Cam Cole in the Post “Torontonians return to the ticket windows like trained pigs every year, no matter how terrible the Maple Leafs are”.

I thought I was immune to the Rest Of Canada insults and slamming of Leaf fans by MSMers like Cox but “trained pigs” is a new low. I’m pissed at this and I am not even a Leaf fan.

Steve in Waterloo
Steve in Waterloo
November 2, 2012 1:21 pm

The Kiss dress up by HockeyCentral guys was pretty good, but did Kypreos have to keep playing with the curls in his hair??? It was disturbing…

Derrick
Derrick
November 2, 2012 1:25 pm
Reply to  mike in boston

Was it played this morning or a podcast? If a podcast where can I find it? I find the TSN podasts difficult to navigate on their website.

mike in boston
mike in boston
November 2, 2012 3:24 pm
Reply to  Derrick

i’ll try to post a link to it, but in the past this has tended to obliterate my post into moderation oblivion. if you go to iTunes and look up TSN you’ll see a general podcast link (not a link to a specific show), and it shows up there.

Alex
Alex
November 2, 2012 5:37 pm
Reply to  Derrick

There is an itunes feed for the regular sunday morning reporters show that is podcasted. Thats where mondays show showed up in my tunes.