Thanks to Ami for allowing use of her review format and to TSM for the opportunity. These will hopefully continue as long as TSN 1050 keeps up their hour-long podcasts of the show.
4:00 Hour – James Cybulski, Bob Mackowycz hosting
Monday Co-Host: Bruce Arthur of the National Post
First Hour Guest: Dave Feschuk of the Toronto Star
Segment One: Weather and Argos
- Show begins with talk about weather and raccoons in Toronto.
- Talk about Argos playoff chances and will the team be embraced by fans
Segment Two: Raptors
- Discussion about Raptors’ first win
- Pros and Cons of DeMar DeRozan contract
Segment Three: Terry Bradshaw’s “bucket of chicken” comment
- Did Bradshaw make racial statement or just clueless one?
- Arthur brings up Bradshaw’s history of head injuries
- Conversation swings back to Tyler Bozak Hallowe’en costume
- Mackowycz asks if there is a double standard for “likable” celebrities
Segment Four: Sean Payton contract status
- Will Sean Payton become a free agent if his contract is voided?
- Discussion of possible destinations (Dallas, Philly, …)
- “Redskins Rule” vis-a-vis team’s win/lose before US elections
5:00 Hour — Cybulski, Mackowycz, Arthur
Segment One: Bob McKenzie – TSN HockeyAnalyst
- McKenzie is in Quebec for QMJHL vs Russians All-Star game
- Discussion of series vs Russians
- Update on NHL negotiations between Bill Daly and Steve Fehr
- Discussion of importance sports as live programming to TV networks
Segment Two: Baseball Free Agency
- Discussion of Josh Hamilton and where he might sign
- Would Hamilton’s injury history and substance abuse problems limit offers?
Segment Three: Herman Edwards, ESPN Football Analyst
- Play tape of Indianapolis coach Chuck Pagano’s locker room speech
- Weekend NFL Talk
- Herm would still take Andrew Luck over Robert Griffin III with first pick
- Discussion of Bradshaw and Payton stories
Segment Four: Fab Five
- Easier or Harder to fill NHL void than in 2004-2005?
- Is Toronto ready to jump on Argonauts bandwagon if they win in playoffs?
- Should Bradshaw have given an on-air apology?
- In hindsight, would you have drafted Eli Manning or Ben Roethlisberger in 2004?
- Does Wayne Gretzky rank in pantheon of athletes with Michael Jordan and Muhammad Ali?
6:00 Hour — Cybulski, Mackowycz, Arthur
Segment One: Eric Tillman Firing
- Discussion of Edmonton Eskimos firing Eric Tillman
- Was Tillman angling for other jobs?
- Discussion of Don Matthews illness
Segment Two: Dave Naylor, TSN Analyst
- More CFL Talk, including Tillman firing
- Brief mention of CHLPA story
Segment Three: Blue Jays Free Agency
- Targets for Blue Jays in Free Agency
- Discussion of short-lived Mike Aviles era
- What’s relationship now between Blue Jays and fan base?
Segment Four: Wrap-Up Talk
- Replay and discussion of Chuck Pagano speak
I like the recent addition to Cybulski’s show on Monday’s of an extra guest in the Monday 4:00 hour, to give the show a mini-Roundtable format. I think today may have been the first time Feschuk has done it. It seems like Simmons and Naylor have also done it recently. I don’t know this for a fact, but it might be related to those writers being in the building for taping Off The Record. (I can’t see the show in the states, so I am only going by what is listed in the TSM Daily Line-ups.)
I hadn’t taken note before when I listened, but there does seem to be a good amount of topic repetition on the show. The Terry Bradshaw comments from Sunday came up in three segments and the Chuck Pagano came up twice. A certain amount of duplication can be expected on sports talk radio, where the average listener only hears a small segment of the show, so repeating points makes sense. But it can be a detriment to the small (vocal?) minority who listen to shows in their entirety.
Note: Can’t always promise quick turnaround on recaps. Between work, sleep and when podcast show up on itunes, could be delay. I was off work today, so got to listen in real time.
Photo available here