Toronto Sports Fans Are Screwed

By TSM

Q: How do you know when a liar is lying?
A: When he moves his lips.

Q: What do sports teams do when they can’t win?
A: They sell the sizzle, not the steak.

“There are only four types of fans,” he said. “But the group which I think is most important are the people who just come because it’s fashionable. And social media can make something fashionable or not. As well as winning.”

That from Keith Pelley, Rogers media President. You know Rogers, the group that just MLSE, Raptors, Leafs and TFC also the owners of the Toronto Blue Jays.

The most important fans are the people who just come because it’s fashionable?

Take that seasons ticket holders!

Social media can make something fashionable????

“Honey, I read on facebook tonight that the Blue Jays are playing, you know we should really take the kids.”

Yeah, that’s something I can see happening.

When the Blue Jays moved to the Dome, it was the place to be seen. Remember the media types grumbling about how quiet the dome was despite being full? The dome stayed full simply because the Jays were winning.

When the Blue Jays bubble burst, there Zuckerberg himself couldn’t have made that team “fashionable”

No amount of social media will make the dome the place to be.

You can tweet, poke, instagram, tumble, stumble, digg until you are Blue in the face and Jays games won’t be “fashionable”.

Win and the dome will fill up.

Win and you will attract those “most important fans”

If this is what Kelly is focused on, we are doomed.

Speaking of doomed. Timing does not appear to be on the Raptors good side. With the entire market to themselves they fall out of the gate to a numbing 1-6. Tank nation Raptors style? Let me guess, the 2013 draft class is shaping up to the worst one on record….

Blue Jays fans, are you bothered by the fact that nearly all major news stories about our team originate south of the border? I polled a few bloggers, MSMers and die hards and they were all hard pressed to find the last time a member of the Blue Jays MSM press core broke a major news story.

With Gores internet and Pelleys social media, it’s easy to find content irrespective of it’s point of origin, but do you care that all the big stories originate elsewhere?

I feel badly for Mats Sundin. He goes in to the hall in a year when there’s no game to honor those being honored. Yeah, yeah, yeah, when they play again they will do the tribute. It still sucks.

November 13, 2012 3:52 am

I think Pelley is right.

You know what its like for the Jays when there are no ‘fashionable fans’ interested? 2010, when they drew only 1.5 mil fans (about 20k a game). The ones going then were the hardcores, like me.

Since then, absolutely with the help of social media (check out how many followers Bautista, Romero, JP and Lawrie have), new uniforms, and a young team people have some hope for, theyve attracted a new crowd quickly.

Fashionable fans is really just another way to say casual fans i think. Theyre important because theyll stop coming if they think the team sucks/isnt fashionable, whereas fans like me will go no matter what.

Itchy Butt
Itchy Butt
November 13, 2012 8:13 am

Fashionable fans are more important than corporate lackies. At least the FFs will cheer and get their nose out of the business section.

And while I am here, can you not make some kind of template so the slideshow pictures are all the same size and the god damn site doesn’t bounce around like a frikkin pogo stick???

Derrick
Derrick
November 13, 2012 9:04 am

I don’t see a problem with what Kelley said, and I’m a Blue Jays fan. If the fans who only come because it’s fashionable come, then the game must be fashionable, and they’re spending money on the team. Doesn’t affect my support of the team.

Why can’t someone focus on winning AND attract the fashionable fan? I don’t believe they are mutually exclusive.

No, I’m not bothered by the fact most “major” news stories about the team originate from the U.S. Define a “major” news story? Most rumours from the U.S. about the team are wrong anyways.

I don’t feel sorry for Mats Sundin. He’s in the Hockey Hall of Fame and was a well paid professional athlete? What’s there to feel sorry about?

mike in boston
mike in boston
November 13, 2012 10:56 am
Reply to  Itchy Butt

agreed. it’s annoying to try to click a link only to have it shift slightly and then you end up clicking on an old Bikini OTD by mistake. I suppose there are worse things … it depends if Blair was the one who picked the pic.

mike in boston
mike in boston
November 13, 2012 11:01 am

Pelley is turning into Godfrey right before our very eyes.

Winning is fashionable. Trying to fill a 55,000 seat stadium in a city of this size (with so many other option from which to choose) any other way than fielding a winning team is fool’s gold.

The Jays’ budget is a “rounding error” for Rogers, yet they have not consistently committed to a competitive payroll. Start there, then worry about attracting casual fans.

Itchy Butt
Itchy Butt
November 13, 2012 2:03 pm
Reply to  Derrick

Yeah, boohoo, poor Mats. I feel more sorry for him having to endure that joke of a tribute the Leafs did for him.

ticky13
ticky13
November 13, 2012 3:46 pm
Reply to  Itchy Butt

It’s not the pictures that are causing the sizing difference, it’s the title/text/tag length that is causing them to bounce.

Itchy Butt