Time For Coverage Of Lockout To End

By TSM

When tomorrow’s farcical owners/players meeting, where league and union reps will also be attending, fails, can we all agree to tone out the coverage of the lockout entirely?

Did anyone hear the first segment on Hockey Central at noon today?

As I was driving into work listening, I kid you not I was looking for some gasoline and a match.

The debates everywhere on what every little thing means has just gotten silly.

Someone sneezes and we get play by play from 50 different outlets.

Seriously, I think the list of owners attending this session was source tweeted by 150 different people that I follow alone.

Larry Brooks wrote an entire column about how his Rangers exec wanted to be included in the meetings and agents and insiders alike write things like, “I hear Dolan wanted to be at meetings”. Ya hear? Come on, we have to be better than this.

Someone quips how nice it is that the Sunday Star has no mention of the CBA talks and the next day it’s all CBA all the time.

Ask the average Canadian hockey fan how much they care about CBA coverage. The numbers are tiny.

Worse than that, those who cover the game now fancy themselves as business and legal experts.

You want to know how bad things are? Bill Watters isn’t taking pot shots at Maple Leafs Owner Larry Tannenbaum:

““I’m not sure what impact he will have at the meeting,” said former Leafs executive, player agent and hockey commentator Bill Watters. “But he’ll be representing the richest team in the league, one that is losing a lot of money the longer the lockout goes on. But Larry has been through the NBA lockout, too, and that’s in his favour.”

What no daddy’s money jokes Bill?????

The harsh reality is, the only two people who know what the @[email protected]#[email protected]#[email protected] is going on aren’t going to be at the meetings tomorrow. The only chance I gave these meetings of having went out the door when each side was allowed to have one staffer each attend and we get Steve Fehr and Bill Daly.

I also love this crap from union experts about how they wouldn’t have let the players go to this meeting. Honestly? Was Donald Fehr born yesterday? What’s the absolute worst thing that could happen as a result of the players attending this meeting? The 6 players walk out and say, we need to get a deal done at the owners terms?? As unlikely as that seems to be, doesn’t Fehr work for the players, so how is that such a horrible thing? It’s all irrelevant. Nothing is going to happen.

So the scribes are all down in Nashville awaiting confirmation of the Blue Jays next move. They aren’t going to report on rumors as the Toronto press corp don’t seem to find those. More importantly, the Blue Jays have clearly demonstrated that the closer something is to a rumor the more unlikely it is to be in the works.

I’m thinking of driving down to Portland to see the Raptors play on the 10th. Anyone else going to be there?

Ami_Angelwings
Ami_Angelwings
December 4, 2012 1:56 am

I don’t even know what’s the point in having breathless day to day, hour to hour coverage of the lockout. Generally, nothing is going to get done until it gets done, and with that I mean, all of the little things, the various “concessions”, etc ultimately aren’t going to mean anything until one side caves and gives what the other side wanted from the beginning. We don’t cover other lockouts or strikes like this, and it’d be incredibly boring if we did. I’m amazed hockey central still exists, honestly. >_>

Torontosportsmedia
Torontosportsmedia
December 4, 2012 2:07 am
Reply to  Ami_Angelwings

Focus on raptors. Focus on Marlies. Focus on nfl. Anything but endless cba banter please

Itchy Butt
Itchy Butt
December 4, 2012 5:22 am

“Did anyone hear the first segment on Hockey Central at noon today?”

I’d rather have a sulfuric acid enema than listen to ONE MINUTE of Hockey Central, never mind one hour!

mario1
mario1
December 4, 2012 7:24 am

Could not agree more.. until hockey is settled bring back baseball at noon..

Brian Gerstein
December 4, 2012 8:46 am

The ratings for Hockey Central if I recall have either not moved at all during the lock-out, or at worst, would be better than any alternative programming. While I agree with TSM and all the posters here, there obviously is an audience who follow the blow-by-blow analysis. My thinking is they are too embarrassed to admit watching it, kind of like a guilty pleasure, as they know they will be ostracized by rational people for admitting it.

Derrick
Derrick
December 4, 2012 8:48 am

Did TSN1050 send anyone down to Nashville? It seems 590 sent 1/2 the station to the winter meetings.

Brian Gerstein
December 4, 2012 9:06 am
Reply to  Derrick

Considering that there is a chance that there is no NHL hockey this year, combined with the expectation of the Jays now being serious playoff and even World Series contenders, combined with Rogers owning the team and having all their games on all mediums, is this really a surprise? Attendance will go through the roof even in the Spring, if the Jays get off to a good start. Rogers knows it has a monster winner this year from ratings to attendance to merchandising, and on and on. It is just a question of maximizing it to its full potential, and part of that is covering Nashville with blanket coverage, if anything, to overwhelm the NHL lock-out talks, which is an easy thing to do at this point.

I am not sure who TSN sent down, likely a token gesture, as they will cover the Jays in the same way that 590 covered the Argos, if you get my drift.

Roger
Roger
December 4, 2012 9:13 am

To all of you delusional Jays’ fans:

Don’t be surprised if the Marlins finish with a better record than the Jays in 2013.

Derrick
Derrick
December 4, 2012 10:30 am
Reply to  Roger

Okay, will do. In the mean time I think I’ll continue to enjoy the Kool Aid. It is quite delicious.
Does that mean you’ll be surprised if the Blue Jays have a better record than the Marlins?

mike in boston
mike in boston
December 4, 2012 10:45 am
Reply to  Brian Gerstein

they will cover the Jays in the same way that 590 covered the Argos, if you get my drift and

and that would be a huge mistake in my opinion. Baseball is an every day sport for 6-7 months of the year. That is a lot of content to talk about on their airwaves. Further, the Jays have a better chance than any other team in the city to perform at a high level over the next few years.

They should be competing with RSN, not conceding the audience just because Rogers owns the team.

mike in boston
mike in boston
December 4, 2012 10:47 am
Reply to  Brian Gerstein

it’s also possible that the handful of people with PPMs are hardcore hockey fans who would tune in to listen to Kypreos read from the phone book.

December 4, 2012 11:27 am
Reply to  mike in boston

Mikes right. The Fan can get away with not covering the Argos because they’re really a fringe team at this point in the city.

If TSN ignores the Jays all summer, especially if they’re good (and if the NHL season is wiped) they’ll be seriously shooting themselves in the foot.

mike in boston
mike in boston
December 4, 2012 11:36 am
Reply to  Daniel

hey Daniel – is there anyone not currently locked in to RSN who you would like to see become TSN’s baseball guy?

I like John Lott but he’s too established to be a beat reporter, though TSN could still hire him in some capacity. Shi Davidi was a good pick-up by RSN, and I wish TSN would target someone like that and give him a prominent role for the coming season. They have good league-wide people in Shulman, Law, and Keri but they need some local talent to compete with Blair, Wilner and Davidi.

Roger
Roger
December 4, 2012 1:16 pm
Reply to  mike in boston

Speaking of Blair,
someone tell him the Flock of Seagulls called and they want their hair back.
What a wank!

December 4, 2012 2:04 pm
Reply to  Roger

Hahaa. Uh-huh…

Anything can happen (O’s, A’s), but there’s really no solid, logical reason to anticipate that.

December 4, 2012 2:10 pm
Reply to  mike in boston

Yeah, Shulman and Law are great.

Hm, good one! Hard to think who else they could use locally. John Lott is a great call. They’re not everyone’s cup of tea, but I think the Drunk Jays Fans bloggers (who now work for The Score) could graduate to MSM. Richard Griffin is out there..

What do you think?

kyle
kyle
December 4, 2012 4:15 pm
Reply to  Brian Gerstein

I saw that TSN on the TV side sent their designated baseball travel guy, Paul Hollingsworth (the Winter meetings, the World Series).
I like the guy, and all, but they couldn’t send someone from Toronto, where, you know, there’s an actual baseball team?? Or do the only flights from Canada to Nashville originate in Halifax?

Don Collins
Don Collins
December 4, 2012 5:32 pm

Can I just add that Jeff Marek is a far better host than Millard… I found todays [email protected] didn’t dissolve into a shouting match, which tends to happen daily with Millard being the host.

Marek knows his hockey stats and details better than both McLean and Kypreos and it seemed neither wanted to get caught with a foolish remark with Marek moderating.

awguy
awguy
December 5, 2012 11:12 am

And later in the show, they had Greg Zaun on. Baseball commentators on a hockey show now? They somehow squeezed 10 minutes of hockey talk out of him.