Tuesday Sports Night Wrap-up

By TSM

Do you remember the day when Jeff Blair was only a really good baseball writer? He wrote an awesome, Blair of old like article in the Globe that you should really check out. On John Farrell he writes, and I’ve trimmed it down a bit for ease of reading

“General manager Alex Anthopoulos explained again that if the Blue Jays did not get “proper value back” for Farrell he wouldn’t have been traded to the Red Sox. Proper value, in this case, was a journeyman infielder; a 25th man who was in turn dealt to the Cleveland Indians for a bullpen arm. John Farrell was traded for ‘Meh …’

He then finished his article by writing:

“Anthopoulos essentially said Tuesday that Farrell was not approached about an extension as a means of smoking out his true intentions because, well, because he had other things on his plate.

He would never say it was because he realized Farrell wasn’t the right guy for this team, but if he truly believes Mike Aviles was good value in return, it’s all anybody needs to know.”

Ouch!

Blair is down in Nashville at the Winter Meetings. One has to believe that the Toronto scribes are starting to learn more about what happened in the Toronto front offices this past season. I love Blair’s assessment. Brilliant.

Don’t look now Blue Jays fans, but optimism is running rampant. This can’t be good can it?

Two interesting things I heard this morning.

The first was Doug MacLean who said the players keep saying we’ve gone down to 50-50 aren’t telling the truth, that really they aren’t going to 50-50 until year 4 out of a 5 year deal and that’s not going to fly. Few are picking up on the subtlety.

Then Kypreos kept saying how the fifth year of any new deal would be the leagues 100th anniversary, implying that there is no way that the league will allow the anniversary year to be another locked out one. I don’t know about you, but were there all kinds of people saying that there was no way the league would allow the Maple Leafs/ Red Wings winter classic to be cancelled either?

So the owner of Detroit Red Wings wants the city of Detroit and state of Michigan to help build him a new arena. Lousy timing many would think given how things are in that part of the world these days. However, one blogger disagrees:

“First and foremost, it’s much easier to enter into a legally binding agreement with the City of Detroit before the in-fighting between Mayor Bing, the City Council and the State officially puts the city into bankruptcy sooner than later, and if Ilitch Holdings plans on entering into said agreement, time is of the essence, because the reality show that is Detroit politics makes those nut-jobs in Washington look downright competent.”

That’s one of the greatest, most amusing theories I’ve ever read.

So, it sounds like it’s put up or shut up town in the NHL. We’ll see what tomorrow brings.

Until then:

Have you seen this clip from Hockey Central at Noon?

Mario
Mario
December 5, 2012 6:56 am

Hockey Central,got to love.. Agree or disagree with either side raw emotion,let them speak there mind, none of this prim and proper TV, just like two guys sitting down having a beer and let the true passion come out..

mike in boston
mike in boston
December 5, 2012 8:54 am

I love Blair’s assessment. Brilliant.

i understand why you and Blair want to take shots at Farrell by saying that his true worth was a marginal baseball player, but that was not his value to the Red Sox. They were desperate to get Farrell, and the compensation does not reflect that fact, nor the fact that the Jays traded with a divisional rival.

Lastly, the deal was done by Beeston not AA.

Roger
Roger
December 5, 2012 9:52 am

I really can’t stand Blair. He and the other Jays’ cheerleaders in the media loved Farrell and all believed he was the guy the steer this ship into the future. Even when the team started losing left, right and centre, they put it down to injuries.

Then suddenly the big Escobar prank happened. Because Farrell didn’t have a hissy fit like Blair did (he was close to tears on air the day it hit the fan), Farrell became
expendable. Coupled with the Red Sox interest in him, Blair and the other
cheerleaders quickly jumped off the Farrell bandwagon, and the hate campaign
began.

We still don’t know if Farrell is a good manager or not, but one thing is certain, he doesn’t share the outrage that Blair, McCown and the other wusses in the media felt at
Escobar’s harmless joke. Maybe Blair is hiding something from us.

Kamlesh
Kamlesh
December 5, 2012 10:21 am

Maybe if Farrell had Jose Reyes, Josh Johonson, Mark Buerhle, Melky Cabrera and Kyle Drabek, Morrow, Bautistia and Santos weren’t on the disabled list he would have won more and been more valued by AA. If this is a ‘good’ Blair article I’d hate to see a bad one. Lucky for me I never read him.

Derrick
Derrick
December 5, 2012 10:56 am
Reply to  Kamlesh

Instead, Farrell doesn’t have Reyes, Johnson, Buerhle, Cabrera, and Drabek, Morrow, Bautista and Santos are on the disabled list, and he doesn’t win more. Farrell sees that the going is tough and decides he doesn’t want to be here.

I still don’t think anyone knows if he is a good manager, but we have a pretty good idea of his character.

Darren Johnston
December 5, 2012 4:06 pm
Reply to  mike in boston

Aviles (when healthy) was the Red Sox everyday SS, and always hit at or near the top of the order, so where this 25th man on their roster comes from I have no idea. I’d challenge Blair about his article via Twitter but he blocked me for asking a question (politely) in regards to something he wrote about a month ago, he is an always will be a douche bag!!

Darren Johnston
December 5, 2012 4:08 pm
Reply to  Roger

Well said Roger!

December 5, 2012 4:46 pm
Reply to  mike in boston

“They were desperate to get Farrell, and the compensation does not
reflect that fact, nor the fact that the Jays traded with a divisional
rival.”

Not sure I agree with that. We’re talking about trading a manager for a player here, so it’s kind of apples and oranges in terms of compensation. Not like the Red Sox were desperate to get Arencibia, and the Jays traded him and only got Aviles back. I mean, giving up a player of any value for a manager is a bit insane.

December 5, 2012 4:53 pm
Reply to  mike in boston

I honestly think if the Jays highly valued Farrell, then they wouldn’t have let Farrell walk.

Riccardi’s ‘dream job’ was rumoured to be the Red Sox as well, and the Red Sox had a GM opening after JP’s first year in Toronto (quite similar situation), but the Jays gave JP a big fat extension that offseason. Who knows what went on behind the scenes… maybe JP said ‘I’d like to leave’ and the Jays said ‘would a big fat extension make you stay?’

So, the fact that the Jays allowed Farrell to leave at all leads me to believe they didn’t value him highly. I would have been fine with giving Farrell more time to see how he evolved, but based on the moves I saw on the field, and on the rumours of clubhouse problems, I get why they were OK with him walking.

December 5, 2012 5:00 pm
Reply to  Roger

Mmm.. there was some criticism of Farrell during the season.

I don’t know if Zaun explicitly blamed Farrell, but he was constantly going off about stuff you’d think a manager should be doing. Ex: ‘why doesn’t Sierra have sunglasses out there’, ‘there’s no accountability on this team’, ‘they’re running wild on the bases’. I think the general opinion of him gradually deteriorated among the fanbase and media as the season wore on. That’s why nobody really seemed to care all that much when he left.

mike in boston
mike in boston
December 5, 2012 5:26 pm
Reply to  Daniel

Until I hear AA say “we were;t planning to offer John an extension” then i can’tt accept the argument that if he had been worth more to the Jays they would have got more for him.

the main reason i disagree with this is that many baseball experts said that if a manager wants out to take another job then you let him. that’s the unwritten rule — you don’t want a guy who doesn’t want to be there. So the Jays were under pressure to let him go, and the only thing left to settle was the price. Alex has said the return had to be fair.

given this informal rule, and given the hysterical state of the Red Sox after the chicken & beer fiasco followed by the Valentine year of comedic terror, i thought the Jays could have extracted more than Aviles from the Red Sox. That’s just my opinion though. Others think Aviles was fair value. Bard would have been fairer value, or so i think.

The fact that the deal was done by Beeston rather than AA is still extremely mysterious to me. It’s almost as if they wanted t shield AA from having to defend the deal as a baseball move. But it is a baseball move.

Lloyd_Davis
Lloyd_Davis
December 7, 2012 7:57 pm

“It’s about getting the money from the last lockout that [Bettman] screwed up on.” Kypper drives me up the wall sometimes, but he hit the nail on the head right there. MacLean’s so pissy because he doesn’t get any chances to remind everyone how he drafted Rick Nash these days.