Toronto Sports Media Sports Radio Lineups

by Rob Gregg

Our friend above was a little embarrassed by the proceedings last night at the Westin Hotel in New York City. Let’s hope sanity prevails at some point. Here’s your drive home lineups

On Sportsnet 590 The FAN from 4-7pm, Prime Time Sports with Bob McCown:

400 – Michael Grange, Sportsnet
420 – Charley Casserly, former NFL GM, NFL Network
500 – Roundtable with McCown, Stephen Brunt, Sid Seixeiro, and John Shannon

On TSN Radio 1050 from 4-7pm, Cybulski & Co., with James Cybulski. Bob Mackowycz co-hosts:

Herm Edwards
Bob McKenzie
Scott Hartnell
James Van Riemsdyk

On TSN (5pm) & TSN2 (6:30pm), Off the Record with Michael Landsberg:

Sam Mitchell, Former Raptors Coach

Panel featuring:

Bryan Muir, Former NHL Player
James Dawick, Toronto Rock owner
Morgan Campbell, Toronto Star
Steve Buffery, Toronto Sun

Today on Sportsline:

Is Carlos Delgado the best Blue Jay player of all time? Are the NY Knicks peaking too early and are they the best team in the Eastern Conference? Has Peyton Manning clinched the NFL MVP award and who would you rather get an autograph from, Kobe Bryant or Lionel Messi? Join Hebsy & Bubbs for ‘NO NHL LOCKOUT’ talk, today at 5 on CHCH.

Alex
Alex
December 7, 2012 6:09 pm

When was last time bob left mid show?

Chris Doyle
December 7, 2012 6:23 pm

Huh, Like left Sick, or Sick and tired of talking of Hockey?

Darren Johnston
December 7, 2012 6:26 pm

So now Bob is arguing (make no sense at all except for sake of any kind of argument) that Joe Carter doesn’t belong on the Blue Jays ‘wall of fame’ What a friggin’ moron, he should leave early MORE OFTEN!!

Brian Gerstein
December 7, 2012 6:45 pm
Reply to  Alex

He saw the ratings and also has his long term contract signed, so with all the leverage, said WTF, I want to party this year! Good for him, as Sid is capably manning the show.

Darren Johnston
December 7, 2012 6:48 pm

IMO Sid (if he toned down the try and be funny Sid) would be a great replacement for McCown as host of PTS. He is way more into sports as far as knowledge and the here and now aspect of social media which I think now a days you have to be to maintain relevance. I think Bob would be well suited to host a weekly or maybe even monthly show of his choosing. Whether it be Business of Sport or whatever I just think the days of hosting 5 days a week for 3 hours has come and gone, for him.

Itchy Butt
Itchy Butt
December 7, 2012 8:07 pm

Agree 100%. When he’s not goofing around he’s one of the most well rounded sports talk hosts. Smart cookie.

Bob was beyond annoying tonight with his talk about the Level of Excellence. If Carter doesn’t belong there, no one does.

Darren Johnston
December 7, 2012 8:42 pm
Reply to  Itchy Butt

Exactly, I have been a longtime fan of the Bobcat but that doesn’t mean he gets a free pass when he isn’t doing his job. If you’re judging him on the Bob scale from years past he is a shell of his former self. And you’re right on about Carter, the argument was just stupid, it’s like he is constantly reaching as far as filling airtime, mailing it in is an understatement with most of his shows now a days. The really sad part I am finding myself thinking lately is he is reminding me of Skip Bayless from ESPN’s 1st Take.

December 7, 2012 9:14 pm

Congratulations to the co-host of 1050’s Blue Lunch (Jamie McLennan) and the producer of 1050’s Blue Lunch (Stephanie Apoloito) on the birth of their baby girl this morning

kyle
kyle
December 7, 2012 10:05 pm

I turned it off just as the discussion was warming up (got home, moved on with my day).
So his argument was basically only Hall of Famers should honoured? It’d be pretty bare, then. I can kind of understand that argument, as it’s “Excellence” and not “Goodness”.
I’d lean more towards retire HOF jerseys (Alomar), honour players like Bell, Carter and Delgado like they do, as building blocks of the franchise (and that’s how you include Beaston, Gillick and Cheek).

mike in boston
mike in boston
December 7, 2012 11:25 pm
Reply to  Mike S

no one listens to TSN …

Brian Gerstein
December 8, 2012 10:22 am

I love Sid’s humour, must be a reflection on my immaturity, but it is what it is. combined with his extensive sports knowledge, and as you alluded to Darren, his ease of working with social media, and his ability to ask probing questions of his guests, but in a non-confrontational way to elicit a response, he would make an excellent PTS host down the road. For now, I enjoy him in the afternoon’s either on his own, or with Tim. I can’t listen to Tim on his own, just doesn’t work for me.

Kamlesh
Kamlesh
December 8, 2012 12:09 pm

Watching Arsenal on Sportsnet reminded me of this interview with Nick Hornby on the “Men in Blazers” (maybe my favourite football podcast). Hornby’s book Fever Pitch is one of the best books I’ve read, sports or non sports and Hornby has interesting things to say about how the EPL has changed. The interview starts 38 minutes into the podcast:

December 8, 2012 2:31 pm

Here’s my suggestion for a weekend poll question (if we ever have one of those again):
Tim & Sid have now been at 590 for a full year……………what are the things you like about their show the most?………………and what are the things you like about their show the least?

December 8, 2012 6:19 pm
Reply to  kyle

That was a bad segment. I think Bob was just looking to create an argument. Brunt is the only voice of reason on that show for baseball.

The most asinine part was Shannon’s comment in this interchange:

Shannon: “I was told there were times Delgado hit the ball during games when it didn’t matter.”

Brunt: There’s no such thing

*pause*

I mean, my God, look at Delgado’s stats:

1998:.292/.385/.592 38HRs
1999: .272/.377/.571 44 HRs
2000: .344/.470/.664 41 HRs
2003:.302/.426/.593 42 HRs

Borderline Hall of Fame player if his career didn’t get cut short with injuries. Based purely on stats as a Blue Jay, he might be the most deserving guy up there. Just wasn’t on any great teams.

December 8, 2012 6:32 pm
Reply to  Alex

Last time I remember, was I think 4 years ago (it could have been 3), when Bob left midway through because he was sick and Mike Toth (who was on the roundtable) filled in as host. Toth then proceeded to get into a really heated argument with Brunt about steroids in baseball for about an hour.

December 8, 2012 6:34 pm
Reply to  Daniel

I just assumed the “level of excellence” or whatever it’s called was kinda like raising/retiring Jersey numbers. They don’t have to be the greatest players EVER, just the greatest players for your particular team. I understand a team like the Yankees or the Canadiens having a higher standard than say the Tampa Bay Rays or the Blue Jackets, and i don’t think the Jays are in Yankees territory. I think the people they’ve honoured, deserve to be honoured.

December 8, 2012 6:35 pm
Reply to  Mike S

Congratulations to them!

December 8, 2012 6:38 pm
Reply to  Mike S

I like the interaction the two have with each other. I like their interest in various sports. I like that they have opinions on a variety of sports, and knowledge (even if it’s basic knowledge) about a lot of sports.

What i don’t like is the sophomoric humor stuff (especially Sid’s) and I find a lot of the music and sound effects annoying (that intro music makes my ears bleed).

I was going to say that I like that they don’t take calls, but thinking about it, I’m a little mixed. Sometimes, I like to know what the fanbase feels like, and it’s fun after like, a big trade, or a disheartening loss, to hear people call in.

December 8, 2012 6:55 pm
Reply to  mike in boston

They would have more listeners if they had Steph and her sultry voice on more often

I actually do listen to 1050 to some extent………….it’s nice to have an alternative now, just like it was nice to have an alternative when Brady & Wilbur had their show on 640…………..I listen to 1050 on weeknights/weekends and to Dan Patrick and sometimes Hayes……………I don’t listen to the morning show at all and I only listen to Cybulski because I catch to PTS on podcast

December 8, 2012 7:01 pm
Reply to  Daniel

If he was putting those stats up while playing now, in the post-steroid era, he’d be looked upon as more amazing as well. 44 home runs would make you a superstar right now, while back then, it just doesn’t look as good at 60+ home runs.

December 8, 2012 7:02 pm
Reply to  Daniel

If Damien Cox thought “the question should be asked” about Bautista and steroids I wonder what he thinks about Delgado ??

Nan Young Lee
Nan Young Lee
December 8, 2012 7:38 pm
Reply to  Ami_Angelwings

Yes get rid of the intro music or at least shorten it. It seems to go twice a long as it should. When the show was new they may have needed all that info about twitter accounts and whatever in the intro – not any more.
Sure the match game is fun, but remember they stole it from “The V Show with Bob Valvano” who has been doing it for about 10 years now on ESPN radio.
I was hoping when Rogers bought The Score, Sid’s old Footy Show colleague,James Sharman would be a regular guest on Tim and Sid.

December 8, 2012 8:14 pm
Reply to  Nan Young Lee

Oh, I didn’t know that (about the Match Game coming from the V show)

December 8, 2012 8:22 pm
Reply to  Brian Gerstein

Personally, I wondered if Bob was told he should go to the party because one of the Things wanted him there. Like, maybe there were sponsors or somebody they wanted him to talk to or shake hands with.

bobthetrapper
bobthetrapper
December 8, 2012 9:24 pm
Reply to  Chris Doyle

Good to know that even Bob is sick of Shannon.

daver
daver
December 9, 2012 1:42 am
Reply to  Ami_Angelwings

The V show did it totally different……. What the V show was…was have a caller on the line. They would ask the “Blank” question to the caller. Then the “studio audience” which was Bobvy V, the sports anchor, the producer, and someone else would write down their answers, and the caller would try to match what they wrote…. in essence the true form of “the match game”

as opposed to what T&S do… w hich is just a free for all, nothing serious way of “playing”

Alex
Alex
December 9, 2012 2:30 am
Reply to  Nan Young Lee

I would say the way they do Match Game borrows more from how Lebatard Show does it and/or Family Feud, especially be using text/twitter answers from the audience.

I agree the schtick now (paticularly the sound effects and all the hashtag stuff) has gotten old quicky.

I also dislike how they constant tease stories and then don’t do them for hours. It’s one thing to tease something before a break, but not to tease a story throughout the day and then do it at 3:45/

December 9, 2012 3:56 am
Reply to  Alex

That frustrates me a lot. Sammut does it too on his night show and it’s just jaded me to the point where I just expect they won’t talk about it until an hour or more later, and tune out all together. Especially for Tim & Sid where I have the option to get it on podcast and listen to the segments that seem interesting (based on the podcast listing about what topics are addressed), I tend to just wait for the podcast.

Itchy Butt
Itchy Butt
December 9, 2012 6:31 am
Reply to  Ami_Angelwings

Yeah, it’s just a way to honour guys from that particular team. Bob’s argument was beyond mental. No Carter, no ’93 WS! Simple as that. Fernandez was a treat to watch at SS for 8 years in a row. Delgado’s numbers speak for themselves.

I have no issue with any of the players up there right now. Not sure who else I would add though. Halladay? Sure. Jerry Howarth, sure. Bautista for sure.

Another Steve
Another Steve
December 9, 2012 7:13 am
Reply to  Ami_Angelwings

I think the more interesting subject – I really like Tim and Sid, by the way – is something that Ami just brought up. That is, how many people listen to podcasts. As for me, the only thing on 590 that I would ever listen to as a podcast is the Friday PTS roundtable, and that’s just for a long drive. Other than that, I only listen to 590 when I drive or when I need background noise at home (or the office).

Very little of this sports-radio stuff is worthy of podcasting, in my opinion anyway. That’s maybe one of the reasons why I enjoy Tim and Sid so much – it’s silly fun and provides good entertainment for the drive home. It’s ephemeral – not meant to be preserved on podcast, as far as I am concerned at any rate.

Itchy Butt
Itchy Butt
December 9, 2012 11:55 am
Reply to  Another Steve

As a borderline insomniac, the podcasts help me at night on my iPad. Something to listen to when I’m trying to nod off.

Alex
Alex
December 9, 2012 12:17 pm
Reply to  Another Steve

I podcast everything except the morning show, but have more picky about which segments to which i listen. Basketball is an immediate skip, as is most NFL unless its a good guest. Same with lockout talk. Generally, i like open segments, again depending on hosts (on PTS, brunt good. Cox shannon, less so).

Of course, i have long stretches of inactivity at work, so pods help the day/night go by quicker.

mike in boston
mike in boston
December 9, 2012 1:38 pm
Reply to  Mike S

i feel the same way … none of their shows have really stepped out ahead of what the FAN is doing, but it is great to have some options.

My hope is that they look to improve the 4-7 slot. Hayes had Simmons on for an hour recently and it was delightful. Simmons is really articulate on radio, regardless of what you think of his opinions or his Twitter persona. In an ideal world they would pair Hayes with Macko and then rotate Naylor, Simmons and Arthur in as 3rd men.

Cybulski continues to flounder … most of his contributions involve shouting “Really?” or “That’s so true” or “Come on!!”. He’s like the back-up singer in a rap group who just wanders around the stage repeating random words.

I do all my listening to both stations on podcast and mercifully TSN doesn’t add adverts (yet). At this point the Bodog ads on the PTS podcasts are doing more harm than good. The fact that Bob had them on as a guest without warning the audience that Bodog are sponsors was also pretty low.

December 9, 2012 2:53 pm
Reply to  mike in boston

Simmons is on 1050 with Hayes for a full hour most weeks, usually on Wednesdays at 3 PM

If you dislike Cybulski then you should listen to the end of his show on Thursday…………….he was positively giddy after the first Don Fehr news conference and he basically said that the NHL lockout was all but over……………meanwhile McCown & Brunt were correct when they said that Fehr having a news conference on his own was probably not a good sign……………….I don’t mind Cybulski being heavily pro-player (which he has been for this entire work stoppage) but he embarrassed himself on Thursday

December 9, 2012 4:11 pm
Reply to  Another Steve

I get most of The Fan shows on podcast.

A lot of days I walk or take transit rather than drive so I’m not necessarily near a radio that much, and I prefer not having commercials and being able to skip to segments I want to hear.

Darren Johnston
December 9, 2012 6:16 pm
Reply to  Ami_Angelwings

Since when has Bob ever done what was asked of him, especially by his bosses?

Smack
Smack
December 9, 2012 8:38 pm

Wish I could say the same. I find Sid to be totally out of his depth on the round table. And that’s saying something when the round table is populated by jocksniffing one trick ponies like John Shannon.

Smack
Smack
December 9, 2012 8:41 pm
Reply to  Mike S

Not a fan of Tim and Sid.

December 9, 2012 10:08 pm

Presumably he does. I think the “rebel” thing is just for radio. I’m sure he has more leeway than other radio hosts because of his experience, place in the company, how much money he makes & how popular he is, but I’m pretty sure when his bosses tell him to do something, he still does it. His “I don’t care what they say, I’m going to do it my way!” is just his radio persona, like a Stone Cold Steve Austin thing.

December 9, 2012 10:11 pm
Reply to  Daniel

That’s also why I do it. Also, when I exercise or do regular household chores, or when I shop, I like having something to listen to that makes me think but isn’t life or death important (especially since my job is in social work, I like sports talk radio precisely because it’s something I can be opinionated about and people get passionate about but ultimately doesn’t matter). Plus, no commercials, and I can skip anything that seems boring (like an interview with a player).

December 9, 2012 10:16 pm
Reply to  Smack

I agree with this in terms of this roundtable. I don’t think Sid is always out of his depth, but listening to him try to keep up with Shannon and Brunt about the hockey CBA stuff on Friday made me think he was being a bit naive.

mike in boston
mike in boston
December 10, 2012 9:18 am
Reply to  Daniel

do you recommend the Jeff Blair show? Is the baseball talk at a sufficiently high level to sustain your interest?

I listened for a little while at the beginning but there were too many call-in segments and too many RSN local experts, so I quickly became bored. I can hear all these same insiders on Tim&Sid and PTS (except for Wilner obviously).

Jeff also drove me crazy with his inability to finish …. a sentence …. without adding … some … er, um, um, … LET ME FINISH …. um, pauses everywhere. Has he improved?

Darren Johnston
December 10, 2012 5:07 pm
Reply to  Ami_Angelwings

Well he stated tonight that Brunt told him he looked like crap so he went home to bed, never stepped foot in the party.

December 10, 2012 6:04 pm

Then that’s an even better excuse. xD He was sick.

December 10, 2012 6:06 pm
Reply to  mike in boston

I generally only download the Blair show podcast if he’s talking baseball with Morosi, Wilner, Keri, etc… or if he’s taking phone calls because I’m always amused by how he interacts with Jays fans. But like you, sometimes his voice and how he stumbles to finish a sentence grates on me.

cam
cam
December 10, 2012 7:06 pm
Reply to  mike in boston

Normally that is my impression of Blair as well. However, last week doing the show from the winter meetings he was in his element with a wide range of baseball people from which to choose. As someone else noted, the chemistry was really quite strong with Hayhurst and could be a strong pairing for baseball central.

kyle
kyle
December 10, 2012 10:09 pm
Reply to  cam

My listening time is on the train (live), and at my desk at work (podcast) – surrounded by steel and concrete, the AM signal is zero (internet radio is blocked). I generally download PTS by the hour, skipping call-in hours and hours that I’m pretty sure aren’t interesting (I usually listen to most of 5 o’clock hour live, but will re-listen for stuff I miss). I will also check the rest of the day for anything of interest.

Itchy Butt
Itchy Butt
December 11, 2012 5:50 am
Reply to  Alex

NFL, poker, golf and any boring FOB (Nicholson, “Leggo”) are skips for me.