Toronto Sports Media Sports Radio Lineups

by Rob Gregg

Today’s jackpot winner is Josh Hamilton, new Anaheim Angel, signing a 5 year, $125 million deal. Here’s your drive home lineups:

On Sportsnet 590 The FAN from 4-7pm, Prime Time Sports with Bob McCown. Damien Cox co-hosts from 5pm:

400 – Jim Hughson, HNIC
420 – Mike Zeisberger, Toronto Sun
500 – Open segment with McCown & Cox
520 – Christine Sinclair, Lou Marsh winner
540 – Gene Orza, former MLBPA COO
600 – Jonah Keri, Grantland
620 – Mike Clemons, Toronto Argonauts Vice Chairman
640 – Paul Jones & Eric Smith, Raptors pbp team on Sportsnet 590 The FAN

On TSN Radio 1050 from 4-7pm, Cybulski & Co., with James Cybulski. Bob Mackowycz co-hosts:

TBD

On TSN (5pm) & TSN2 (6:30pm), Off the Record with Michael Landsberg:

Darren Dutchyshen and Jennifer Hedger
Rob Ray and Gary Payton.

Today on Sportsline:

Now that the LA Angels have signed Josh Hamilton are they the favorites to win the AL? Is Ticats President Scott Mitchell to blame for their lack of winning? Who will win a major championship/grand slam first, Sergio Garcia or Caroline Wozniacki? Join Hebsy & Bubbs for ‘NO NHL LOCKOUT’ talk, today at 5 on CHCH.

COMMENTS

WORDPRESS: 23
  • comment-avatar

Bob says he doesnt care about the raptors anymore. So, can the producers please stop booking all the basketball guests? 🙂

• comment-avatar
    (Another) Andrew 7 years ago

There’s not much else to talk about. With the NHL lockout, no CFL or MLB, and Bob not caring about soccer that leaves the NBA and NFL as the only sports left.

And right on cue! As I typed the above here’s Pinball Clemons on again to talk about schools in Africa again!

• comment-avatar

It really is a joke, as Bob would normally say in this situation “Buy some time” It’s not that it is a bad idea or me being against the Christmas Spirit but this is a sports show, not a telethon Take out as much advertising time on your million networks through Rodgers and have at it!

• comment-avatar

And what is with all the squinting with Bob, I guess he needs a darker pair of shades!!

• comment-avatar

So, since it looks like TSN Radio hasn’t gained any traction at all in its first year in a half, do they make some major changes at this point? Or just accept that they’re a bottom feeder for now and use it as a promo tool for TSN TV?

Mike S 7 years ago

This is a good question by Rance…………….uh, I mean Daniel
    TSN 1050 has been on the air for 20 months now and haven’t had much success in the ratings at all…………….however they have made very few changes so far………….the only changes I can think of were moving Hayes from mid-morning to afternoon and flip flopping between Dan Patrick and Scott MacArthur
    I can’t remember how long TEAM 1050 lasted 10 years ago but I’m pretty sure it wasn’t longer than two years………………I don’t see TSN pulling the plug on 1050 but you’ve got to think they are at least thinking about doing something to shake things up a bit

• comment-avatar

i guess this all depends on whether you think the suits at TSN care about the ratings.

I’ve groused on this board that the relative ratings (i.e shows against other shows) are kind of useless in light of how few PPMs there are. You’d need a few thousand PPMs in each category for the numbers to have statistical significance.

Comparing a show to its own ratings is much more useful, since there is good reason to think this tracks the actual listening habits of individual listeners. Are they sticking with their old habits or not?

all that said, i think TSN should be in it for the long haul. They have a well established base on the TV side, and the radio numbers are not going to threaten their business model. Further, once the Leafs games start airing next year they will make inroads on the radio side.

But the ratings are none of my concern as a listener. Even Watters’ show eventually built a base, so just being on the air for a while will get you listeners. To my ears, TSN needs to raise the quality of their drivetime programming. PTS won’t last more than another few years, and then the market is wide open since there is no obvious successor.

• comment-avatar

You guys are forgetting, TSN radio will eventually have 1/2 leafs games. TSN is definitely waiting for this. Also, I don’t think they care that much about the ratings given the way the system works.

Ami_Angelwings 7 years ago

I’m currently sick. There’s probably no point in me reviewing all the shows I’ve missed (I only have an incomplete Tuesday review so far), so I’ll just do the Friday roundtable.

Ami_Angelwings 7 years ago

I don’t think he usually says “buy some time” to people who have charities though, just people who have their own shows or books to promote.

Ami_Angelwings 7 years ago

Won’t they eventually have 1/2 the Raptors games too?

Ami_Angelwings 7 years ago

It’s such a different world when Josh Hamilton can sign for a 5 year deal and Jays fans aren’t freaking out that the Jays didn’t sign him because he accepted a deal that isn’t a super long term deal.

• comment-avatar

But, regardless of the flaws we know the ratings system has, isn’t that what stations sell advertising on? So, wouldn’t they care about that?

• comment-avatar

I think TSN problems shoves TSN radio ads down their tv advertisers throats As the leafs did raptors tickets-

• comment-avatar

I think you’re right Mike, that the ratings system in flawed. But, that’s what they sell advertising on, no? So, whether stupid or not, it matters to them, I assume.

I just think that if they the lowest rated station in Toronto after a year and a half, with plenty of promotion from highly rated TSN TV, then there is definitely a problem.

I guess they could keep bottom feeding until the Leafs come back … but you’d think they’d try to shake it up a bit.

• comment-avatar

Well, if they can put out a station that is struggling and feel fine about it that’s fine by me. At the worst it’s made The Fan FAR better. So, I hope they keep going. Just seems like there’s not much progress being made on their front.

Marioi 7 years ago

We all know Bell/ Rogers have very deep pockets. but to me I am sure Bell dose not like the fact that the Fan are blowing them away in listeners if we are to believe the numbers.Even when 1050 get half the games the Fan will get the other half as I believe it will be a wash.
    Surely TSN 1050 will have to do something attract listeners, or else why pay advertising dollars when they can not draw flies?

• comment-avatar

you know, this is the first time i’ve actually considered this. Of course that’s what we all assume, but i wonder if in 2012 the PPM ratings are still used in that way. In an age of convergence I would assume things like web-traffic and app traffic matter too.

but, more specifically, suppose Tim&Sid have 5 times the rating that Hayes does. Does that mean the FAN can charge 5 times what TSN can for ads from 1 to 4? I doubt it. My suspicion is that there is PTS and then everyone else when it comes to ad rates. my other suspicion is that the FAN gets a bonus for winning the ratings battles, but i doubt TSN is struggling to sell ads.

anyway, it’s a good question and i wonder if TSM or any other readers have insight into the relationship between sports radio ratings and ad rates. i would also be curious to know how many individual pairs of ears listen to the FAN and TSN on a daily basis.

• comment-avatar

radio habits are about comfort and laziness. if the voice that comes on when you get in the car is familiar then you’re less likely to change the station. that works to TSN’s advantage here. People who are now familiar with the hosts on 590 and 640 will soon become familiar with TSN’s gaggle of personalities.

So i don’t think that this benefit will be canceled out by the fact that the games are split. Listener inertia will help TSN the day after they air a Leafs game on radio.

• comment-avatar

my guess is that TSN is just riding things out until hockey starts. that’s their claimed area of expertise, and no one ever lost money selling hockey to Canadians.

i’m not thrilled about this, since i have some hope that TSN will seriously invest in baseball coverage for next season.

Mario 7 years ago

Well I hope your wright… Just seems to me there are only so many game nights, at some point they have to give listeners a reason to stick around.

I maintain they TSN 1050 relies to much on hockey.