Toronto Sports Media Sports Radio Lineups

by Rob Gregg

Here’s your drive home lineups

On Sportsnet 590 The FAN from 4-7pm, Prime Time Sports with Bob McCown:

400 – Glenn Healy, HNIC
420 – Rob Becker, legal analyst
500 – Roundtable with McCown, Damien Cox, John Shannon, and Bill Watters

On TSN Radio 1050 from 4-7pm, Cybulski & Co., with James Cybulski. Bob Mackowycz co-hosts:

TBA

On TSN (5pm) & TSN2 (6:30pm), Off the Record with Michael Landsberg:

Ryan Nugent-Hopkins
Sam Mitchell
Eric Dickerson

Today on Sportsline:

TBA

COMMENTS

WORDPRESS: 16
  • comment-avatar
    Another Steve 7 years ago

Two minutes into the roundtable and I am already tired of Watters.

Come on! Abe Simpson will warm your heart

Nan Young Lee 7 years ago

Great PTS today Watters and Shannon bringing new energy to the show. They really have great chemistry together. Although Wilbur didn’t use any phrases of his immortal phrases like, “Coat tails in a wide shot”, “Deep Pucky”, and “Adios Caballero”. I think those are Wilburisms that Bob uses, but it may be vice versa. Keep Watters and Shannon on Cox on the roundtables when hockey starts, with less Brunt, Tim or Sid.
    There was a funny moment in the 6pm hour, when Bob wanted to talk about NFL expanded playoffs and Shannon tried to hijack the discussion to discuss narrower goal posts. Said Bob to Shannon, “…do you prefer shoes with Velcro or laces?”

Mike C. 7 years ago

awesome PTS roundtable….great stories… Wilbur and Bob even dropped some “Business of Sports” references and shout outs to Former Fan Morning man the late Pat Marsden… great roundtable tonight!!!
    Shannon and Wilbur do have good chemistry. I am shocked Shannon was actually funny tonight!

Nan Young Lee 7 years ago

It was on PTS today that Larry Tanenbaum retains his stranglehold on MLSE, but in an article in the Globe and Mail on June 18, David Shoalts wrote:

“The only holdovers on the new board will be MLSE chairman Larry Tanenbaum, who owns the other 25 per cent of the company, and his long-time associate Dale Lastman. The other four directors’ seats will be split equally between Rogers and BCE. A source said Rogers chief executive officer Nadir Mohamed and BCE CEO George Cope will be on the board but it isn’t known who the other BCE and Rogers representatives will be.”
    “There will be an interesting twist in how power is shared on the new board of directors. Bell and Rogers agreed that their four votes on the six-person board will always vote as one, which will prevent any deadlocks. It would also prevent Tanenbaum from aligning himself with one company against another if they disagree on an issue. Apparently, Bell and Rogers will hash it out in private how they will vote before any vote is taken.”

I wonder why Tanenbaum can’t be out voted by the Bell/Rogers on any issue.

• comment-avatar

I think the over/under on Watters use of “the donald” to describe Fehr was probably 15.

BTW, I was listening off and on to 590 from 3-7, but I don’t know if I ever heard anyone, on a show or in a news update, mention what happened in CT.

Contrast that with ESPN putting a moratorium of sports tweets from their staff and they even held Bill Simmons this afternoon. Is it too cynical to wonder if they would be showing such restraint if it happened anywhere but Connecticut?

Ami_Angelwings 7 years ago

I was waiting for Bob to mention it given that he’s stopped sports talk to talk about serious events before, and he’s always talking about the duty that sports reporters have to stop talking about sports and become actual news reporters during tragic events (he points out 9/11 and the SF earthquake).

When he started the show with “breaking news”, I expected him to talk about the school shooting, but instead he did a mocking news thing about the CBA. In the 6pm hour, he started it with breaking news again and it was about RA Dickey.

That’s either really really terrible timing, or it’s just disrespectful. : I’m guessing PTS is going to get people writing in, and Bob is going to be defensive about it on Monday.

The roundtable talked about Hurricane Sandy for 2 segments back when that was the big story of the day, so it’s not unprecedented for them to stop talking about sports and talk about serious current events.

I wonder if they were ordered not to talk about it or something, given that it’s not just Bob who didn’t mention it but Tim & Sid as well.

• comment-avatar

I know they talked about it on the marek v wyshynski podcast at the beginning of their show, but that was not long after the news broke. But i dont know if that counts as official rogers programming.

• comment-avatar

You are exactly right as far as Bob being defensive come Monday, no doubt in my mind. Shame on them (PTS) and more specifically Bob for not talking about this because ultimately it’s HIS show as he has pointed out god knows how many times, like what they talked about instead was so not interesting on a day like today!

• comment-avatar

And I wonder who exactly gives a shit on a day like today!

Another Steve 7 years ago

I was just getting in my car at around 1:45pm and Tim and Sid addressed it for 5-10 minutes. At that time it was still unclear what had happened and they said that they were very cognizant of the events but that they knew that people turned to sports as an escape from horrors such as those, so that was the reason that the rest of the show would be about sports.

Anyway, they probably said it a bit better than I just wrote, but they did address it quite clearly at the end of the first hour of the show today. [Strangely, their reference was the first I’d heard of it, since I was giving exams all morning, and I was really frustrated to discover that the so-called “news-radio” stations in the GTA gave very little time to the shooting. I kept flipping to them on the drive and was rather disappointed with the news-stations.]

As for Bob, at the end of the segment with Becker, Becker brings it up and then Bob says something. I want to go back and listen myself, because I am not sure at all what Bob said to Becker. The impression I had was that McCown wanted to change the subject in a hurry, although I may have mis-heard.

Another Steve 7 years ago

What really bugged me about Watters is that his animus toward Fehr is so obvious and juvenile.

I don’t mind a certain level of biting sarcasm, but it seems that Watters believes that Fehr is responsible for most of what is wrong with sports, which just makes me regard Watters himself as a joke.

Abe Simpson, as TSM calls Watters, can be funny, but only when his opinions aren’t treated seriously.

Ami_Angelwings 7 years ago

Okay. I didn’t listen to Tim and Sid, I was going by what Alex said. I haven’t listened to the 4pm hour of PTS yet. Thanks for correcting. 🙂

Ami_Angelwings 7 years ago

I noticed that. Even during the baseball stuff, Watters was taking non stop shots at Fehr, even when it wasn’t relevant. (i.e. “UNLESS THE DONALD PROTECTED HIM”)

Ami_Angelwings 7 years ago

Oh, also during the boxing talk, Bob joked about Mayweather suddenly breaking out guns and shooting people during a boxing match. Which was, again, really bad timing for a day to joke about that.

Nan Young Lee 7 years ago

If you care so much, why were you listening to PTS in the first place. Why not listen to CBC or NPR or a Connecticut station. Is Bob and Co. some sort of moral authority for you? Was his opinions going to be so much more profound than James Fallows at The Atlantic or the New York Times editorial that went up this afternoon. And what about the millions of children that die of starvation every year mostly in the Third World, does your circle of empathy include them? Basically everyday is a day like today. Too bad Bob didn’t talk about the killings for a few minutes before moving to RA Dickey, apparently that’s all it would have taken to soothe the trite sensibilities of some of his listeners. I can understand being affected by a tragedy so as to not want to listen to any entertainment. But to listen to PTS and expect a few minutes on the shootings before moving on to sports to salve the sense of emptiness everyone feels when they hear today’s news, says more about fandom for PTS than a proper response to the tragedy itself.