Toronto Sports Media Sports Radio Lineups

by Rob Gregg

Here’s your drive home lineups

On Sportsnet 590 The FAN from 4-7pm, Prime Time Sports with Bob McCown:

400 – Tim & Sid, Sportsnet 590 The FAN
420 – Brian Williams, TSN
500 – Roundtable – joining McCown are Damien Cox, John Shannon, Dave Perkins, and Bob Elliott

On TSN Radio 1050 from 4-7pm, Cybulski & Co., with James Cybulski. Bob Mackowycz co-hosts:

On TSN (5pm) & TSN2 (6:30pm), Off the Record with Michael Landsberg:

Dwane Casey, Toronto Raptors Coach
Eric Dickerson, NFL Hall of Famer

Today on Sportsline:

Darren Johnston
December 21, 2012 5:11 pm

Nice opening by Dave Perkins, Bob was sayin that in 25 years tonight is the first time there has been a 5 person table, Perkins replies “Well we can shoot someone”

Dave Arlotto
December 21, 2012 5:15 pm

why is Bob Elliot on the round table? puts me to sleep

Brian Gerstein
December 21, 2012 5:31 pm

I missed it. Perkins saying that in light of the last week was obviously inappropriate, but it is Perkins, so not a surprise he would say that. What was the reaction from the rest of the roundtable when he said it, as did they just move on and ignore it, or did someone, who should have been Bob, point out that Perkins timing could have been better to say it.

Darren Johnston
December 21, 2012 5:45 pm
Reply to  Brian Gerstein

The camera was just on Perkins and Cox, Damien gave a look as if to say, “wow, did he just say that”, couldn’t see Bob or Elliotte’s (Bob Elliotte) reaction right away but there was about 4 seconds of very awkword silence. They definitely knew it was a very iffy thing to say, then moved on, nothing was mentioned about it.

Alex
Alex
December 21, 2012 5:56 pm

Its easy to use cliches without stopping to think about it, esp on live radio. Admittedlty, print is different, but i ended up rewriting things this week that could be insensitive because i first used usual tropes/metaphors. To wit, all the sports/war metaphors people had to stop using after 9/11. Eventually,most of them came back, but were off limits forna little while.

That said, perkins said something stupid.

Darren Johnston
December 21, 2012 7:57 pm

I guess Greg Zaun got into some hot water late last night on twitter.

mike in boston
mike in boston
December 21, 2012 8:13 pm

lighten up … it’s not like he accused anyone of handing out smallpox blankets.

Mullah_Kintyre
Mullah_Kintyre
December 21, 2012 8:18 pm

McCown refuses to give up his lie claiming his friends Cynamon and Sokolowski
were somehow cheated out of getting a new Argos stadium by some kind of
mysterious back room deal. Bob — repeating a lie again and again does not make
it any more true, even if you can get naive dullard Perkins to go along with
you, as happened in the 5 pm hour today. There’s no mystery to be solved, other
than why you keep trying to get away with propagating this ridiculous lie.
Cynamon and Sokolowski had agreed to pay $20 million towards building a new
stadium with York University, the Canadian Soccer Association, and the different
levels of government in October 2005.

Then six months later, in April 2006, just before they had to put their
money on the table, Cynamon and Sokolowski simply walked away from their
commitment — in the absence of any other realistic explanation, presumably
because they didn’t have the money.

With
time running out to get the stadium built for the 2007 FIFA U20 World Cup and no
private partner, York U then pulled out of the deal, and the whole project
nearly did not happen.

It was only a few months later that the stadium was revived when MLSE
accepted the same deal that Cynamon and Sokolowski had walked away from, and
with Exhibition Place replacing York U in the deal.

Cynamon, Sokolowski, the Argos and CFL had absolutely no involvement in
building BMO Field because they had walked out on their commitment several
months before, and thus it was built solely for soccer concerns. There was no
mysterious, devious, backroom scheme that squeezed Cynamon and Sokolowski out of
the project. They left on their own and nearly killed the project.

Another Steve
Another Steve
December 21, 2012 8:28 pm
Reply to  mike in boston

Yes, and before people start getting upset by Perkins’ comment, which I missed, take a look at TSM’s twitter feed from today (about wanting to kill people at a mall).

People say that kind of thing all the time; it’s probably not so good to say that stuff these days, but let’s keep things in perspective.

Another Steve
Another Steve
December 21, 2012 8:30 pm

What did he write? I just tried to bring up his twitter page, but it is now blocked.

December 21, 2012 9:40 pm

Enjoyed hearing Cox take Shannon to task for interrupting him. Shannon was frustrating to listen to there.

By the way – anyone hear Sid do a Shannon impression a few days ago? Pretty funny.

December 21, 2012 9:42 pm
Reply to  Another Steve

Yes. The Perkins thing is not worth getting your back up about in my opinion. Clearly no harm intended.

December 21, 2012 9:45 pm
Reply to  Dave Arlotto

One thing ill give Elliot credit for is that he doesn’t seem to offer opinions about subjects he isn’t well versed on. He was asking questions about hockey rather than try to BS his way through it. We see way too many hockey guys do that with other sports, I find.

ticky13
ticky13
December 21, 2012 11:22 pm
Reply to  Another Steve

Basically, he called a bunch of girls at Hemmingway’s fat and ugly.

Pot, kettle, etc.

ticky13
ticky13
December 21, 2012 11:23 pm
Reply to  Daniel

Like Cox, with every sport?

Bobby G
Bobby G
December 22, 2012 12:51 am

Actually, what he said was, “We can shoot for it and someone can go home.” And what followed was hardly an awkward pause. Someone chuckled (sounded like Cox) and they moved on. Hardly a reference to anything in the news recently.

Darren Johnston
December 22, 2012 1:37 am
Reply to  Another Steve

Ticky got it right. Just a stupid question, why would somebody thumb down your question here Another Steve? LOL, UNREAL.

Darren Johnston
December 22, 2012 1:39 am
Reply to  mike in boston

u lighten up hero!! Ya don’t like what I have to say then don’t read it. That light enough for ya?

Darren Johnston
December 22, 2012 1:40 am
Reply to  Bobby G

sky is black

mike in boston
mike in boston
December 22, 2012 9:04 am

lighten up … it’s a reference to this. (scroll to the bottom)

cam
cam
December 22, 2012 11:31 am
Reply to  Bobby G

Just heard the podcast and not sure why you got a thumb down when you are just accurately quoting what Perkins said ” we can shoot for it and someone can go home”. Hardly offensive…

Itchy Butt
Itchy Butt
December 22, 2012 2:44 pm
Reply to  Dave Arlotto

Elliott owes us nothing. He’s not a broadcaster. He’s a writer. A Hall Of Fame writer. I’d take him over Cox any day

Darren Johnston
December 22, 2012 4:41 pm
Reply to  mike in boston

how many people employed by mainstream sports outlets (print, radio, tv, online) would be hired on the basis of their current work? Was this what you wanted me to look at? My answer would be very few.

Bobby G
Bobby G
December 22, 2012 5:35 pm

What?

You gave an entirely inaccurate account of how the show opened.
“We can shoot someone” and “Let’s shoot for it” are not the same thing at all. “Let’s shoot for it” is a common phrase in sports and it was entirely appropriate in the context in which Perkins said it. Perkins didn’t say what you said he said. It’s not even an accurate paraphrase. The meaning you conveyed is entirely disconnected from reality. Look, I couldn’t care less whether you like Perkins or not but if you’re going to convey that he’s a thoughtless SOB a week after a mass shooting of little children, it shouldn’t be based on a lie.

Itchy Butt
Itchy Butt
December 22, 2012 5:59 pm
Reply to  Bobby G

The one element of reading/listening that is sorely lacking these days is comprehension. All people heard was “shoot” and they hit the panic button.

Not Trembling
Not Trembling
December 22, 2012 9:17 pm

Well you saying that Darren will have many trembling…and yes, I will have Fries with that, you twit

Kamlesh
Kamlesh
December 23, 2012 12:41 pm

Probably failed all my exams and will have to cut Bob’s grass for the rest of my life. Looking for some Christmas music that isn’t terrible to cheer me up. Leave it to the Brits to come through:

Darren Johnston
December 23, 2012 7:43 pm
Reply to  Not Trembling

Another troller I see. Must be nice to not have any life what so ever. Just live in Mommy’s basement, make up about 10 different accounts for this site, twiiter and as many other websites you can think of and simply troll. You, Sir.Douche, need a life in a serious way.

Not Trembling
Not Trembling
December 24, 2012 3:44 pm

Perhaps so. You, sir, are insignificant.

Ami_Angelwings
Ami_Angelwings
December 25, 2012 1:39 am
Reply to  Bobby G

I agree, and I was somebody who thought Bob’s joke about Mayweather pulling out a gun and shooting people on the day of the massacre was ill-timed. I don’t see any problem with what Perkins said. “Let’s shoot for it” is a sports phrase. I don’t think every NBA announcer stopped saying the word “shoot” in the wake of the Newtown shootings.

Guest
Guest
December 25, 2012 1:41 am
Reply to  Kamlesh

I guess there’s no point in me putting up the Friday review since everybody’s already commented here. I got caught up in things and I had it written up but forgot to post it. xD

Ami_Angelwings
Ami_Angelwings
December 25, 2012 1:42 am

I guess there’s no point in me putting up the Friday review since
everybody’s already commented here. I got caught up in things and I had
it written up but forgot to post it. xD (I originally posted this as a reply to somebody by accident, so this is why you may see 2 posts or something)

Ami_Angelwings
Ami_Angelwings
December 25, 2012 1:44 am
Reply to  Daniel

I heard that. Shannon was being really really annoying, including when Cox called him on it, Shannon tried to turn it around on him that he deserved to be interrupted.

December 25, 2012 9:55 pm
Reply to  Ami_Angelwings

I think you should post the review anyway………….I would enjoy reading it and I’m probably not alone

Ami_Angelwings
Ami_Angelwings
December 26, 2012 1:42 am
Reply to  Mike S

Ok I will 🙂

Ami_Angelwings
Ami_Angelwings
December 27, 2012 10:53 pm
Reply to  Mike S

My computer crashed and I forgot to save the text file I was writing it in (usually I just write them on notepad them c/p them onto wordpress). So I’ll just write tomorrow’s roundtable. 🙂