Toronto Sports Media Sports Radio Lineups

by Rob Gregg

Here’s your drive home lineups

On Sportsnet 590 The FAN from 4-7pm, Prime Time Sports with guest host Jeff Blair:

400 – Phones for the full hour
500 – Roundtable with Blair, John Shannon, Tim Micallef, and Dave Perkins

On TSN Radio 1050 from 4-7pm, Cybulski & Co., with James Cybulski. Bob Mackowycz co-hosts:

Warren Moon, Seahawks analyst
Bob McKenzie. TSN
Herm Edwards, ESPN
Oliver Luck, father of Colts QB Andrew Luck
Adam Lind, Blue Jays 1st baseman

On TSN (5pm) & TSN2 (6:30pm), Off the Record with Michael Landsberg:

Best of Off the Record

Today on Sportsline:

TBD

Nan Young Lee
Nan Young Lee
January 4, 2013 8:25 pm

With the Raptors recent success you think they would be getting larger tv numbers than this:

Nan Young Lee
Nan Young Lee
January 4, 2013 8:47 pm

Baseball’s ratings also tanked this year, even with Shulman.

Lance D.
Lance D.
January 4, 2013 8:49 pm

Is Pierre LeBrun one of the most boring people in sports media? I almost fell asleep listening to this guy reporting on the ridiculous NHL lockout. Yikes!

Alex
Alex
January 4, 2013 9:09 pm
Reply to  Nan Young Lee

Well, 590 is certainly cramming them down listener’s throats. I think raptors talk is half of tim and sid’s show (and driven me to bbc radio during their show).

kyle
kyle
January 4, 2013 11:08 pm
Reply to  Nan Young Lee

unfortunately, I think they the early season dive killed any hope of that. I think they’ll have to keep it up for another month or so to swing it around. I guess it will depend on what happens with the NHL too.

kyle
kyle
January 4, 2013 11:13 pm
Reply to  Alex

well, at least raptors talk is current news from a league that is playing. what are they supposed to talk about?

January 5, 2013 1:32 pm
Reply to  Nan Young Lee

National baseball ratings in the U.S. are in decline but MLB just got an enormous increase in their TV rights……………that’s an interesting combination

January 5, 2013 1:35 pm
Reply to  Lance D.

LeBrun is not very entertaining but he is usually quite informative so I enjoy hearing him on 1050…………….he is only on a few times a week for 10 minutes or so at a time……………..if he had his own show I would probably feel differently

Itchy Butt
Itchy Butt
January 5, 2013 2:46 pm
Reply to  Alex

Thank the baby Jesus! At least it’s sports and not lockout crap.

(Another) Andrew
(Another) Andrew
January 5, 2013 3:37 pm

Why do so many at The Fan run down the World Junior tournament each year? Is it only because they don’t have the broadcast rights and it’s more popular than anything on Sportsnet? Every year is the same with the same nonsense about how they’re just kids and nobody else cares (actually one million Swedes watched the 2008 final out of a population of only nine million – that’s better, relatively speaking, than what the World Series gets on US and Canadian television, also each year Eurosport 2 shows the games throughout continental Europe). I get the impression Micallef doesn’t like anything that is not big in the US of A. At least last year McCown said that when he switched from a World Juniors game to the NHL he was struck by how slow and lacking in intensity the NHL game was.

Nan Young Lee
Nan Young Lee
January 5, 2013 4:20 pm

Sportsnet cannot compete with TSN, so they always slag whatever TSN is showing, whether its the World Juniors, Bowl games, the Majors in golf or tennis, etc. You notice they always mention the Fan590’s ratings but not the TV ratings for their host driven shows. In December, Toronto Life did a story on Jay Onrait and Dan O’Toole. In the article it was revealed the weekly fall ratings for TSN’s Sportscentre vs. Sportnet Connected. The numbers were:

TSN Sportscentre:…….2 million viewers

Sportsnet Connected: 101 thousand viewers

The Score:………………29 thousand viewers

That is a greater domination than 590 has over 1050, and TV generates much more money.

January 5, 2013 8:26 pm
Reply to  Nan Young Lee

I don’t have a link, but there was a story approx a year ago, that said TSN and Sportsnet were essentially in a dead heat in terms of profits (even though TSN had better ratings). I guess that tells you Sportsnet had less money invested.

Nan Young Lee
Nan Young Lee
January 5, 2013 10:52 pm
Reply to  Daniel

Not according to this article. Sportsnet has more money invested and less ratings and less profit.

mike in boston
mike in boston
January 6, 2013 8:58 am

switched on the iPod to hear what the Toronto radio stations were playing at 7:30 this am. TSN had some Euro show on; the FAN had Stormin’ Norman’ who it seemed had been on for 10 straight hours. I’m surprised TSNR wasn’t live. WGR was taking calls.

But, according to this article, the reverse was true on the TV sidem with Sportsnet looping a taped show while TSN was live.

It’s really sad Zelkovich and Houston are not around any more. I would really love to read some intelligent analysis of how the media covered this story.

mike in boston
mike in boston
January 6, 2013 9:00 am
Reply to  Nan Young Lee

thanks for these links. Nice to have some facts.

I’ll say the same thing I say every time: both networks are making fistfuls of money regardless of the ratings. The raw numbers are essentially a pissing match by the executives, and listeners and viewers would be better off ignoring the ratings.

January 7, 2013 1:36 am
Reply to  Nan Young Lee

This was the article I was thinking of just so you don’t think I’m pulling that out of my ass:

From 2010, so obviously not really relevant, since things have evidently changed.

January 7, 2013 1:42 am
Reply to  Nan Young Lee

It’s funny… I guess I do feel a sense of ‘loyalty’ to 590, as I’ve been listening for so long. It’s sort of my default station, unless it’s a show I dislike.

But I feel nothing of that on the TV side. I’ll just watch whichever has the sporting event I want to see. Don’t really think about which network it is.

Itchy Butt
Itchy Butt
January 7, 2013 6:50 am
Reply to  Nan Young Lee

I don’t care either way, but Sportsnet gets much more viewing in my house because of baseball. TSN is hockeyhockeyhockeyhockey so I rarely have it on.

mike in boston
mike in boston
January 7, 2013 9:11 am
Reply to  Daniel

listened to both stations this morning again … you wouldn’t have liked what was going on over at TSN.

Dreger gave a moving tribute to his employers for devoting the resources they did to the coverage of the end of the lockout, referring to TSN as the best in the business. (side note: This was after he was introduced by Mike Richards signing a Metallica (?) song about Dreger. I can’t believe someone hasn’t put a stop to that.)

TSNR is also referring to itself as the new home of the Leafs, which strikes me as a little disingenuous.

mike in boston
mike in boston
January 7, 2013 11:09 am

in unrelated matters, the Star has changed how they format their headlines. It used to be “Cox: Brian Burke deserves a contract extension” but now they put “Cox” at the end, which means it gets cut off if you’re scanning headlines in Google News or if your font size is set to large.

Why mention this? I came *this* close to clicking on a DiManno article for the 1st time in years. Nice try Toronto Star …

Mullah_Kintyre
Mullah_Kintyre
January 7, 2013 12:26 pm
Reply to  mike in boston

I think TSN Radio had the International Sports Report on for only half an hour instead its presumably longer usual time slot, before they went back to live lockout talk all morning. It’s not often that there’s something unexpected and important enough to prompt the sports TV and radio stations to interrupt what they have scheduled early on a Sunday morning.

Dowbiggin writes about it a little today, regardless of whether you consider that “intelligent analysis”. Something I don’t find intelligent, and could do without, is any serious mention of the notion of fans being angry, and “Will they come back?” Apathy I can understand, but anger? How would that work? The people who are such ardent NHL fans that are enraged by a three month lockout are the ones who are now suddenly never going to watch again? I was happy to hear others on the TSN Reporters panel mock the idea when Steve Simmons brought it up.