Toronto Sports Media Sports Radio Lineups

by Rob Gregg

Here’s your drive home lineups

On Sportsnet 590 The FAN from 4-7pm, Prime Time Sports with Bob McCown. Stephen Brunt co-hosts from 5pm:

400 – Elliotte Friedman, HNIC
420 – Paul Jones, Raptors pbp radio voice
440 – Open segment with McCown
500 – Open segment with McCown & Brunt
520 – Eugene Melnyk, Ottawa Senators owner
540 – Nick Kypreos, Sportsnet
600 – Reed Albergotti, Wall Street Journal
620 – Bob Ryan, Boston Globe

On TSN Radio 1050 from 4-7pm, Cybulski & Co., with James Cybulski. Bob Mackowycz co-hosts:

TBD

On TSN (5pm) & TSN2 (6:30pm), Off the Record with Michael Landsberg:

Mike Cammalleri, Calgary Flames
Panel featuring:
Kelly Chase, NHL Network Analyst
Barry Melrose, ESPN NHL Analyst
Steve Buffery, Toronto Sun
Jeremy Taggart, Our Lady Peace Drummer

Today on Sportsline:

NHL Owners are going out of their way to apologize to fans, why haven’t the players done the same thing? Is Patriots pivot Tom Brady the best playoff quarterback in NFL history? Who is the ‘face’ of golf? Tiger Woods or Rory McIlroy? Join Hebsy & Bubbs, today at 5 on CHCH

January 16, 2013 1:13 am

I am not a big Blair fan but I guess I have to give him credit for being honest, even if it makes him look somewhat foolish ……………here is what he said on his 590 show earlier today:
“I definitely didn’t criticize JP Ricciardi as much as I should have. But I did it on purpose because he was a great source of information for me and I didn’t want to jeopardize that”

mike in boston
mike in boston
January 16, 2013 7:00 am
Reply to  Mike S

obvious follow up for Blair: other than Ricciardi, who else?

If you’ve done it for one guy then you’d probably do it for others.

Alex
Alex
January 16, 2013 7:31 am
Reply to  Mike S

Id file this under “water is wet.”

You can prob bet, generally, the less a columnist buries someone, the more likely they are to be a source. The inverse is probay true too.

Burke: cox (source), simmons (not)

Roger
Roger
January 16, 2013 9:39 am

Still lots of talk
about why Burke was canned (i.e. some juicy rumors). And no, it had nothing to
do with the team’s crappy on-ice performance or his belligerent manner – it was
something else.

January 16, 2013 4:12 pm
Reply to  Mike S

Interesting. Blair being brutally honest there.

It makes sense of course, though. I mean, look at how guys like Shannon, Maclean, and the TSN hockey people all kiss up to Bettman and the NHL.

I’m sure that kind of thing exists with virtually every sports reporter to some degree or another.

Mike C.
Mike C.
January 16, 2013 8:11 pm

True. Especially those so called “Insiders” like Darren Dreger and Bob McKenzie at TSN. Those two guys are the biggest ass kissing douchebags on that network. I don’t get why TSN keeps them ESP Dreger on the payroll. If Dreger doesn’t report something first he discredits it. Remember when Stephen Brunt broke the Jets re location story. Dreger was discrediting it within minutes. Anyone else hear the allegation Burke was having a affair with Hazel Mae!?

Nan Young Lee
Nan Young Lee
January 16, 2013 11:42 pm
Reply to  Mike C.

If you’re referring to the story on Burke and Mae on littlepeach.ca, it was so vicious towards Mae I find it hard to know how serious the writer is.
Also, you’ve got to be kidding about Dreger and McKenzie being fired. I’m sure Rogers wishes it would happen so they could scoop them up. No one has broken more stories than those two, especially McKenzie. His tweets since the end of the lockout have been outstanding. That’s the reason why Dreger and Mckenzie each have more Twitter followers than all Sportsnet personnel put together.

Another terrific TSN talent is James Mirtle of the Globe and Mail. I only wish the Leaf podcast on 1050 was a better vehicle for him. He does it with Jonas Siegel but its a very awkward podcast mainly because Jonas seems so hesitant and even scared during the show. Those two were fine on Cybulski last week. I think their Leaf podcast needs a third member to do lead the discussion with Mirtle and Siegel instead of letting Jonas take the lead(maybe the underused Matt Cauz?). Or just let them appear on Cybul’s show once a week instead of the podcast.

Here’s today’s article by Mirtle which TSM called ‘brilliant’ on his twitter account:

January 17, 2013 12:38 am
Reply to  Alex

I’m not saying I am surprised to hear that a media member would avoid criticizing someone in order to keep that person as a source………….I just don’t remember anyone blatantly admitting it like Blair did
People like Cox and Blair are columnists now and not beat writers or “insiders”………….they are paid to give their opinions so I’m not sure they should be intentionally soft on someone just because they might get the odd scoop

mike in boston
mike in boston
January 17, 2013 8:14 am
Reply to  Nan Young Lee

what in the everlovingfuck was that? That might be the worst thing I have read this year.

agreed with you that Mirtle has raised the bar. I wish there was someone of his calibre working for one of the papers on the baseball side.

Kamlesh
Kamlesh
January 17, 2013 2:02 pm
Reply to  Nan Young Lee

That Burke/Hazel Mae story has been removed from littlepeach. Must have been bogus.

mike in boston
mike in boston
January 17, 2013 2:08 pm
Reply to  Kamlesh

thanks for the update. Wasn’t there something similar a while back on some site (Toro?) about Burke and divorce or something.