By Ami Angelwings
4pm hour – Listener phone calls with Jeff Blair
- Calls are about the Leafs, Blair talks about how much he prefers Carlyle over Ron Wilson becuase Carlyle doesn’t create drama every day
5pm hour – Roundtable discussion with Jeff Blair, Dave Perkins, John Shannon and Michael Grange
First segment: Discussion about the Maple Leafs’ start
- Blair and Shannon are impressed by Randy Carlyle as the coach
- Perkins thinks it’s way too early to start evaluating the Leafs or the coach
- Grange thinks the Leafs need to tank and get a high draft pick
Second segment: Discussion about the Raptors’ season
- Blair thinks it’s not a good sign that Calderon is your best point guard
- Perkins points out that the Raptors would be in the basement in the Western conference
- Grange thinks the Raptors need to tank and get a high draft pick
Third segment: Thoughts on the Te’o situation
- Perkins thinks it’s just some kid who got punk’d and everybody should just stop caring
- Perkins lambasts the US football culture and Notre Dame’s handling of the situation
- Blair and Perkins complain about how everybody holds baseball reporters to a high standard in terms of reporting steroids, but nobody cares about how football reporters don’t report football players committing crimes, lying or taking steroids
6pm hour – Roundtable continues
First segment: Did Yakupov’s celebration go too far?
- Shannon and Blair thinks it’s great to see emotion and fun
- Perkins has no problem with it but thinks people celebrate too much in sports over little things in general
- Grange thinks it’s bad form for Yakupov to be running past his teammates to celebrate, relates a story of Yakupov walking away from the press at the WJHC
- General discussion about the NHL season and players attempting to get into form without a long training camp
Second segment: Will the hall of fame voting be changed after nobody was voted in in the last vote?
- Perkins tells the story of Punch Imlach making up a Sabres Draft Pick named Taro Tsujimoto in the 1974 NHL draft
- Perkins is fine if the hall of fame takes the vote away from the BBWAA, but he wants to know who they’re giving it to that’s more qualified
- Shannon thinks it’s stupid to take the vote away because of one result people don’t like
- Grange asks about Pete Rose, Perkins says Rose can’t be voted in by the writers, but that he’ll eventually get in after he dies
- Perkins is against steroid use, but thinks that you can’t hold it against the players who used during the steroid era
Third segment: Prime Time Bullets
- First bullet is about Mike Weir making a cut, Perkins says good for him
- Second bullet is about Alex Rodriguez being possibly injured all year, Perkins finds it unlikely now that Rodriguez will be able to break the all time home run record
- Third bullet is about the Miracle on Ice winning goal stick being auctioned, Shannon tells a story about people asking Herb Brooks’ autograph during a promotion of 1989’s Batman and ignoring Michael Keaton
Nobody seems to have remembered that the Raptors first round draft pick this year (traded away to the Rockets who traded it to the Thunder in the Harden trade) is top 3 protected only, and therefore the Raptors moving up or down a few spots probably will do nothing for the Raptors. Grange was complaining that the Raptors doing well has moved them down a few draft slots, but it’s unlikely the Raptors will finish bottom 3 this year, so the pick will most likely be going to the Thunder regardless. Also, if Grange wants to pick high in the 2014 draft like he said, then the Raptors should give the Thunder the pick this year rather than in 2014 (when it’s only top 2 protected).
I find it funny how Grange was clearly unhappy with Yakupov’s celebration and with his attitude to reporters at the WJHC, but was trying at the beginning to couch it as possible reasons people might have an issue with it because of how strongly Blair and Shannon were positive about it. He kept bringing up these reasons though, and to me, it really seemed like Grange himself was the one who found it problematic. Later on he made it more clear by saying he hates all showy in-game celebrations in general.
Perkins’ reaction to the Te’o situation was refreshing because it was nice to have somebody finally say “who cares?” on PTS rather than the constant detectiving and misunderstanding of what’s possible on the internet that’s been going on. Perkins thought it’s perfectly possible that Te’o was hoaxed, and doesn’t think it’s a big deal. I also think it was interesting to talk about the Notre Dame involvement in this because Bob’s only briefly touched on it, and I think that’s a more interesting story in this than Te’o at this point.
Amazingly, I’ve never heard of the Taro Tsujimoto story before, and I thought it was amusing.
I hope that Blair will stop complaining about Ron Wilson at some point. He complained about him all season last year, and even though he’s been fired, he’s still being put down by Blair this season.
In general, I liked this roundtable, and thought there was a lot of good discussion and had good flow. Shannon didn’t derail any topics (at least to a degree that I remember strongly), and Perkins told some interesting stories, and I thought everybody had pretty good chemistry with each other.
Photo available here