Jack Morris Joins Blue Jays Radio Broadcasts

By TSM

As we told you when Alan Ashby left, the Jays were going to go outside the market and land a big name to join the Blue Jays radio broadcasts. They have landed a big name in terms of baseball players. Jack Morris.

I am sure he will be making the rounds on the Fan today, but here is a good clip of him on his career, calling the Blue Jays the most talented team he ever played on.

I hadn’t heard from Morris in a long time and this is just one interview, but he sounds like he should be entertaining.

Welcome back Jack!

Raptors Devotee
Raptors Devotee
February 5, 2013 4:27 pm

Morris has always been pretty outspoken, which bodes well for the broadcasts. Nothing worse than a vanilla colour guy, and with his insights into the game I have to say, thumbs up for me.

mario
mario
February 5, 2013 4:29 pm

Excellent pick up….But what does that say for Greg Zaun? Have not heard him on in a while with the negative comments he made about women in Toronto. Should would hate to loose him…

February 5, 2013 4:44 pm

Interesting hire … glad they went outside of guys already on the roster. Wilner is distractingly condescending, Zaun is too categorical in his judgments, and Campbell is insipid (in my opinion, of course …)

Ashby was a virtual unknown and turned out to be awesome. I hope Morris is able to be critical when needed, and not just rabidly pro player. It will also be interesting to have a pitcher’s insight after so much catcher-centric analysis these last few years. This is what i most looking forward to, given the stellar and varied make-up of the starting rotation.

Raptors Devotee — i have been waiting for your analysis of the Gay trade. Forgive me if you’ve written it up and i missed it.

Darren Johnston (@AFRAUDHATER)
Darren Johnston (@AFRAUDHATER)
February 5, 2013 4:53 pm

I wish Morris was hired to replace Tabler on the TV side and they put Hayhurst with Gerry, pipe dream but Shulman and Morris would be my broadcast team for sure, can’t see Danny Boy giving up all the fame and fortune he has garnered with ESPN in both MLB and CBK.

Derrick
Derrick
February 5, 2013 4:59 pm

Jack’s arrival here is being celebrated in Minnesota.

February 5, 2013 5:45 pm

Tweets from Dirk Hayhurst

“I was officially in the running, but I’m very happy for Jack, who has oodles more experience than I do and has more than earned this.

If you want me back for Baseball Central, or anything else at Rogers, Tweet this man feverishly — @DonKollins21”

I hope they bring him back for BC at noon. It was refreshing to hear them actually attempt to put on a real baseball show. I know HC at Noon goes until July, but maybe they could bring Hayhurst in for April and put him on with Blair for an hour until then.

Ami Angelwings
February 5, 2013 6:46 pm

I’ll miss Ashby. :\

With Wilner as the third man in the booth, I wonder how Jack will feel about Wilner’s strongly held belief (and often stated) that he shouldn’t be in the hall of fame.

Also, I wonder if Wilner feels slighted that he wasn’t chosen to replace Ashby? Just because he started to do games last year when Ashby was away and then they go outside to replace him…

February 5, 2013 9:09 pm

totally agree with Daniel. Rogers would be crazy to let Hayhurst (and baseball central) go given how much they have invested in the Jays. They need to find a way to devote even more air-time to MLB/Jays talk than they did last year.

I believe prior to Tim&Sid the afternoon slot was 2-4. I’d say go back to that, and stick Baseball Central either 1-2 or 3-4 starting April 1. Baseball mad Boston does a one-hour pre game show, so that’s an option as well, but PTS would need to be shifted back to 3-6.

Raptors Devotee
Raptors Devotee
February 5, 2013 10:31 pm

Mike, I actually have not commented much on the trade, taking more of a wait and see attitude on how Gay fits onto the roster. Obviously, strictly from a salary situation, we are paying Maxed out money to a player who doesn’t deserve it, and also gave up our huge trading chip in Calderon, and Davis too, but I am not too worried about losing Davis with Amir on board, plus Davis is a limited player, given his shooting range. We also could lose Gay in two years once his contract expires, so this is a trial period for him and how he fits in and more importantly, will he want to re-up with us.

Strictly from a talent perspective, we got the best player, no doubt. He is also the most talented player on our team, and an answer at the small forward position, one where we have been forever lacking. He may be asked to play the 4 as well, so I will reserve judgement until I see how Gay performs there.

With Bargnani coming back, there just isn’t enough room for him as a volume shooter, especially one who can’t play D. He will be moved very soon, as Gay is the Alpha-Male on this team now. I was concerned with how DeMar, who plays a similar type game, will co-exist with Gay, but so far so good, and they seem to have good chemistry together. Overall though our defensive efficiency has dropped significantly from last year, and this will be the biggest issue, can we get stops with this roster.

Looking ahead, I don’t see us catching the #8 spot, and that is fine, as we will then give Oklahoma City a pretty bad pick, and we get ours back next year. We really need Jonas back soon so at least we will see what we have to work with. There is enough talent next year and the following year with a few more moves to contend for a playoff spot. I do like the athleticism we have and with Calderon gone, and if Lowry gets his shit together, we should be able to play a faster paced game and get points in transition.

Mike, I hate to sit on the fence on this one, but that is where I am at.

February 6, 2013 2:31 am

“Rogers would be crazy to let Hayhurst (and baseball central) go given how much they have invested in the Jays”

For sure. Must be more interest in the Jays right now than there has been in 20 years. Beeston said tonight that they have a chance to crack 3 million in attendance this year if things go well. That’s pretty good. They should definitely keep Hayhurst around.

February 6, 2013 2:41 pm

thanks RD for the reply.

prior to the trade the team seemed like it was going nowhere. like you, i’m not sure if this trade actually changes anything that, other than making it less likely that Colangelo gets fired.