TSN Radio Changes Offical

by TSM

Here is the official release from TSN:

” TSN Radio 1050 Toronto today reveals its revamped broadcast schedule including the launch of its new drive-home show TSN DRIVE WITH DAVE NAYLOR debuting Monday, Feb. 18.

The station also confirmed plans to televise its two key drive shows – MIKE RICHARDS IN THE MORNING and TSN DRIVE WITH DAVE NAYLOR on TSN2 beginning Monday, Feb 18.

TSN DRIVE WITH DAVE NAYLOR on TSN Radio 1050 and TSN2
One of the country’s most accomplished and respected sports journalists, TSN Insider Dave Naylor will anchor the all-important drive-home slot weekdays from 4 p.m. to 7 p.m. ET on TSN Radio 1050 beginning Monday, Feb. 18. TSN DRIVE WITH DAVE NAYLOR can also be seen on TSN2 weekdays at 6 p.m. ET. Joined by the biggest newsmakers and Insiders in the business, Naylor will break down the latest issues and headlines in the sports world.

“From locker rooms to team boardrooms and everything in between, I’ve pretty much seen it all while covering sports for more than two decades – the good, the bad, and the nasty,” said Dave Naylor, host, TSN DRIVE WITH DAVE NAYLOR. “I’ve always loved how radio gives me the chance to have my say and let fans know what I really think. The GTA has some of the most passionate and sharpest sports fans in the world. I can’t wait to discuss, debate, and dissect the sports scene in Toronto and beyond.”

In addition to his radio work, Naylor will continue as TSN’s Football Insider with regular contributions to SPORTSCENTRE and CFL ON TSN.

MIKE RICHARDS IN THE MORNING on TSN Radio 1050 and TSN2
Broadcasting live from TSN Radio 1050’s state-of-the-art studio, Mike Richards takes his morning drive show to the next level, with the live one-hour television production of THE MIKE RICHARDS SHOW debuting Monday, Feb. 18 at 7 a.m. ET on TSN2. Known for his no-holds-barred comedic style, the uncensored and unfiltered Richards brings fans his unique take on the world of sports including a slew of impersonations of the who’s who in the pro sports world.

THE BOB MACKOWYCZ SHOW on TSN Radio 1050
Bob Mackowycz takes over as new host of the 9 a.m. to 12 noon ET slot debuting Monday, Feb. 18. Toronto sports fans can expect Mackowycz to inject his sharp wit into his passion for the city’s local sports scene, with a focus on the Leafs. The Toronto-native is a long-time veteran of the sports broadcasting industry.

Scott MacArthur – Toronto Blue Jays Reporter on TSN and TSN Radio
Scott MacArthur takes over as TSN and TSN Radio’s full-time baseball reporter covering the Toronto Blue Jays on a daily basis. His reports will air across all TSN platforms.”

Justorbs
Justorbs
February 8, 2013 1:39 pm

The only time I ever listened to TSN 1050 was the Bryan Hayes show. Now with Mackowycz taking over the late morning time-slot I’d much rather listen to him than the crusty Jeff Blair. Good changes all around.

sam in oshawa
sam in oshawa
February 8, 2013 1:52 pm

Naylor co-wrote Mccown’s book, interesting…

February 8, 2013 2:06 pm

I don’t see Naylor or Mackowycz really moving the needle much more than what was there previously. They probably are small upgrades though. Cybulski was pretty brutal, in my opinion.

I kind of agree with what Julian said last post. Almost seems more like TSN Radio is just trying to keep it’s head above water at this point.

mario
mario
February 8, 2013 2:37 pm

Mike Richards in the morning on TV… give me a brake.. he could hardly draw flies on radio…But I guess desperate times calls for desperate measures.. now thinking if the Fan will put its morning show back on TV? But do not think so, there was a reason they took it off in the first place.. But at least they are trying something and that has to be a positive..

steve
steve
February 8, 2013 3:18 pm

These changes are okay. Naylor is great. I stopped listening to Cybulski and Company because of Mackowitz. Bring back Dan Patrick, who cares if he doesnt talk hockey.

Lance D.
Lance D.
February 8, 2013 6:13 pm

It’s about time!!! I’ve been waiting for what seemed like forever for some changes at TSNR. Cybulski was a certified clown. He should not be in any job that requires him to display his personality.

Although far more intellectual than entertaining, Naylor is pretty solid on providing analysis and has plenty of experience covering sports. If he is paired with the right co-host(s), it could be a solid show. I will definitely listen.

I found Mackowycz a bright spot on the very rare occasions I listened to the Cybulski disaster show so I have some optimism he may do well…

But what’s the deal with Richards & Hayes (Jim Rome impersonator) still on the air??? As irritating as Hayes’ phony shtick is, Richards is an even bigger clown than Cybulski!!! Oh well, guess I can’t expect everything to go my way.

Although long overdo I have to give TSN credit for making some significant changes. Now the TSNR 9-12 & 4-7 timeslots are viable options – finally.

Thanks.

Lance D.
Lance D.
February 8, 2013 7:23 pm

Tatti is still the best overall personality on TSNR!

Dave in Bolton
Dave in Bolton
February 8, 2013 11:00 pm

Should of given Hayes the 4 to 7 timeslot and Jay and Dan the 2 to 4. Cybulski was ok and in the leafs lunch could of done well. I would have him host leafs lunch then a new show called Insider Trading with the TSN Insiders from 1 to 2.

Murph
Murph
February 9, 2013 1:40 am

A dog with a speech impediment would be any improvement over Dan Patrick. Gawd what a dorky drip. Scott MacArthur just too critical and raring to rant. Lets see what happens. Macko does not give as easy a pass as Cybulski on the interviews. Have not heard enough of Naylor to really judge but seems to be best all round talent tat TSN to go up against McCown at 590.

Murph
Murph
February 9, 2013 1:42 am

Hogan and or Tatti would be better in prime time too, given some of the alternatives.

Don Mandrie
Don Mandrie
February 9, 2013 3:41 am

The best drive host in the country not named McCown is Mitch Melnick. He works for TSN – in Montreal. Is Montreal more important to them than Toronto?
Certified goofballs.

Ami Angelwings
February 9, 2013 4:18 am

What’s happening to Arthur if Cybulski and Company is gone? I feel like putting Naylor on against Bob is a reaction to Cybulski’s antics failing and deciding to go more “serious”. I hope Arthur is his co-host. I still think Arthur is an excellent co-host and if I could regularly know when he’s on, I’d listen to TSN more. But it seems like he was almost never on Cybulski.

Dave in Bolton
Dave in Bolton
February 9, 2013 4:23 am

Don’t think Mitch wants to move to Toronto and they know that.

February 9, 2013 8:31 am

Daniel: I don’t see Naylor or Mackowycz really moving the needle much more than what was there previously. They probably are small upgrades though.

a quick thought on “moving the needle”. I think we’ve seen that moving the needle is an incredibly hard thing to do in radio. The main (only?) way to do this is to acquire someone with a built-in LOCAL audience. Brady moved the needle when he went to the FAN because he had credibility from 640. Tim & Sid moved the needle when they went to the FAN because they had credibility from the SCORE. Who else could TSNR get that fits the bill? There is no one out there who isn’t already working for the FAN.

As we’ve also seen, you can’t just bring in people who have a high profile outside of Toronto. Krystal and Richards have been huge failures.

So TSN’s strategy has to be to build an audience, the way 640 did with Watters & Brady. I’m glad to see that TSN is willing to change things up if a host is not going to help them build an audience.

Alex
Alex
February 9, 2013 9:49 am

As of yesterday afternoon, Arthur said “as far as i know” he still has Monday gig on 1050

Rick in Niagara
February 9, 2013 12:42 pm

I have been boycotting 1050 since they pulled Dan Patrick. I understand the logic behind having local talent, but 1 show dedicated to a North American perspective with guests the local shows could never hope to get is a good thing. Hell, DP won the Marconi last year!

A 3 hour break from the redundant and repetitive discussion of the minutiae of Leaf land is doctor recommended!

No 1050 for me until DP is back.

dave in bolton
dave in bolton
February 9, 2013 1:39 pm

if your gonna give Jay and Dan a timeslot on the radio then it should be up against tim and sid. I think thier the only two have the same demo and them and might just give them a run for their money. as for the drive at home timeslot id move hayes up against Bobcat and see what he can do. the lunch timeslot i think Cybulski would of been a good fit for that hour and maybe rename it Insider Trading with the TSN Insiders. also Mike Richards would be better suited for the late night gig rather then the mournings.

here’s how id have the new TSN radio schedule
630 – 9am – The Dave Nailer Show
9 to 12 – THE Bob Mackowycz show
12 – 1 – Insider Trading with James Cybulski and the Insiders
1- 4 – the Jay and Dan show
4-7 – the Drive home with Bryan Hayes
7 – 11 – Game Day and Jim Tatti and Mike Hogan
11 – 2am – Late Nights with Mike Richards

February 9, 2013 4:12 pm

I dunno Mike… I think TSN hasn’t done well more because they don’t have high quality hosts during the day (whether they came with a built in audience or not). They promote the station a fair bit on TSN TV, so I think if there was something really compelling on there people would find it.

February 10, 2013 12:19 am

I agree with Sam in Oshawa…………..the fact that Naylor teamed with McCown on his book makes this 1050 move extremely interesting…………I assume they are pretty good friends………………this brings back memories of when Brunt was up against McCown on the TEAM 1050 drive show a decade ago

February 10, 2013 9:24 am

my point is that in the absence of context it is hard to know how well or poorly TSNR is doing. where should they be in terms of ratings at this point in time? who knows? how long has it taken 2nd all-sports radio stations in other markets to move the needle? i don’t have any clue. all i do know is that the incumbent has a huge inertial advantage. in fact, i wonder if any 2nd to market all-sports radio station has ever overtaken the incumbent.

if someone wanted to do the work, here’s somewhere to start: what were Brady’s numbers on 640 when that show ended. Where was he at the 1 year mark, the 2 year mark, etc.

the FAN had awesome (relatively speaking) numbers for many terrible shows, for many years. i don’t think numbers are a good indicator of what’s compelling.

Alex
Alex
February 10, 2013 10:11 am

The one place I think it’s happened is in Miami. WQAM was longtime sports station and The Ticket, which is Lebatard’s station, overtook them.

I haven’t listened to 790 in a while, but I’d guess it’s still true.

We_Miss_Sundin
We_Miss_Sundin
February 10, 2013 10:17 am

Keeping Maco and getting rid of Cybulski?

Wow… Just wow horrible decision.

T-Roy
T-Roy
February 10, 2013 12:55 pm

Glad they didn’t move the Bryan Hayes show. I listen every day and really enjoy it! James Cybulski show would have been better without Mackowycz. He always sounds like a smartass. Creepy.

February 10, 2013 4:05 pm

” how long has it taken 2nd all-sports radio stations in other markets to move the needle? i don’t have any clue.”

I don’t know either. But the ratings I saw a few months ago put TSN Radio as the lowest rated station in the city. After nearly two years, that seems to be poorly performing to me.

“i don’t think numbers are a good indicator of what’s compelling.”

That’s true! I guess I just find that TSN Radio has been pretty bad so far (in my opinion), so assuming there’s some accuracy to the low ratings, I can understand why.

But again, just my opinion. I’m glad others have an alternative to The Fan, and I hope it gets better.

Hunter
Hunter
February 10, 2013 5:08 pm

Good riddence Cylbolski you suck!

Naylor can take the crappy CFL and shove it!

Tatti is the only good host TSN radio has!

TSNR really should fix their god awful signal i know for a fact a lot of people litteraly can’t listen to that station outside downtown Toronto because the signal is so bad.

Next best news to come for Toronto sports radio listeners would be news that annoying motor mouth Greg Brady has gone back to Detroit and Tim & Sid have taken jobs at a high school radio station in Moncton where their irritating level of childish humor and annoying horns would go over a lot better with teenagers.

Dan
Dan
February 10, 2013 8:51 pm

Can we stop with the Jay & Dan recommendations? Just stop!

There is no way these guys would give up their national Sportscentre gig (the highest rated of any sport highlight show on TV), to go to a couple shitty hours on local radio every day. Sure, their podcast does solid numbers, but its not the same material that features on a drive show.

And before someone else mentions it, no, there is no way they would do both, especially if it was a 1pm show.

Drumanchor
Drumanchor
February 11, 2013 11:18 am

The reason why TSN 1050 has done so poorly is because, for the most part, the shows and the hosts are boring.

Listeners aren’t dumb.

February 11, 2013 12:48 pm

Dowbiggin has some comments:

“Faced with disappointing ratings, TSN Radio 1050 has blown up its schedule. The station announced Friday that former Globe & Mail writer Dave Naylor is taking over the afternoon drive from James Cybulski. Cybulski’s show was lively, but doomed against the juggernaut of Bob McCown on Sportsnet Radio The Fan 590.

Why TSN thinks Naylor’s journalistic approach will find a niche where Cybulski did not is unclear. Naylor’s traditional approach doesn’t sound like counter-programming (Jay Onrait anyone?). Naylor doesn’t bring a ready-made audience outside of his CFL following. Curious.

In other moves, Cybulski’s co-host Bob Mackowycz takes over the 9 A.M.-noon slot formerly occupied by The Dan Patrick Show. Scott MacArthur becomes the Blue Jays correspondent for TSN and TSN Radio.

The other news is that both Mike Richards’ and Naylor’s shows are bring televised as of February 18 on TSN2. Richards tell The Grind that they have been taping for a month already on his 6-9 A.M. . “I’m at times not easy to impress,” he told us. “But it has blown me away. The biggest delay is how to shoot my ‘weird’ show. The way they have done the ‘phone calls’ is nothing short of brilliant!”

Perhaps the TV addition will give Richards a chance at closing the lucrative 25-54 male demographic gap at the FAN 590. Greg Brady and Jim Lang, who have a decisive lead on Richards, do not have their show televised as yet.”

Chris
Chris
February 12, 2013 11:23 am

Was I the only one who found The Dan Patrick show incredibly entertaining? Of all the things TSNR has done, bringing that on was a great move. Getting rid of it, in my opinion, was not the best thing to do. In this market where we are saturated with Leafs talk all day every day during the week, the DP show was actually a breath of fresh air. I don’t see why they could not use that for the 9-12 show and move Bob along side someone else. Adding Bob was the only thing that kept Cymbulski rolling as long as it did, and he would only help to add talent and credibility to another show to go up against the Fan.

Rick in Niagara
February 13, 2013 6:51 am

I’m with you Chris. Dan Patrick was a staple in my entertainment schedule. His show sounds like the conversation my friends and I have when hanging out. The fact that it’s not entirely sports related is what makes it so great. Some tea its downright silly.

Add in the fact that Dan gets top notch guests and he can have the same varying conversation with them…. Its a beautiful thing.

Variety is the spice of life.

The main reason Dan isn’t on is because of the “Be Leafers”. They can’t handle 5 minutes that isn’t discussing whether Tyler Bozak is a first line Centre or not.