By Ami Angelwings
4pm hour – Bob McCown hosting
First segment: Interview with Chris Tessaro, The Poker Show host, Sportsnet590 The FAN
- Bob and Tessaro talk about the possibility of a casino in Toronto, Tessaro agrees with Bob this is a bad idea
Second segment: Interview with Bob Elliott, Toronto Sun baseball reporter
- Bob talks about going to spring training, says that it’s fun but it’s also a big hassle for him
- Bob and Elliott share stories from past spring trainings
5pm hour – Bob McCown hosting, Stephen Brunt co-hosting
First segment: Talk segment
- Bob and Brunt talk about the IOC taking wrestling out of the 2020 Olympics, are very critical of the move
- Bob and Brunt discuss the Toronto Maple Leafs good start to the season
Second segment: Interview with Nick Kypreos, Sportsnet hockey analyst
- Kypreos talks about how well the Leafs have been playing
- Bob asks Kypreos is Tyler Bozak has become a better player, Kypreos says he might not be better but he’s older and wiser
Third segment: Interview with Jonah Keri, Grantland.com baseball columnist
- Keri talks about the worst contracts in baseball, names A-Rod’s current contract as the worst one
- Keri has Vernon Wells in the top 10
6pm hour – Bob McCown hosting, Stephen Brunt co-hosting
First segment: Interview with Bob Ryan, The Boston Globe
- Ryan talks about how ridiculous it is that the IOC are removing wrestling from the Olympics
- Ryan thinks the Yankees are on the decline and the Jays will be a disappointment if they don’t make the playoffs
- Ryan is sick of the steroid debate, is thinking of just giving in and not caring
Second segment: Interview with Leigh Steinberg, sports player agent
- Steinberg talks about a piece he wrote about how athletes are being bad role models
- Steinberg believes that athletes have a responsibility to be good role models while Brunt doesn’t think so
Third segment: Interview with Clive Llewellyn, former president of Wrestling Canada
- Llewellyn thinks the IOC decision to remove wrestling from the Olympics is a bad decision
- Llewellyn says that within the wrestling community, there was no knowledge that this was coming or even a possibility
- Llewellyn doesn’t know where Canada stood in the IOC vote, but that he thinks Canada supports wrestling because Canada has done well in it
So is Bob going down to spring training to do Prime Time Sports? A week ago, Scott Moore said that they weren’t sending them down and that Keith Pelley hadn’t thought through how much it would cost when he told Bob they were, but today Bob told Bob Elliott that they are sending him and Cox down to join Brunt.
If they are going, I wonder if they’re going to have Cox and Brunt alternate as co-hosts as usual, or if every day is going to be similar to what they’ve done in the last few years with the Jays opening day, where all three are together and interviewing players and coaches. I hope it’s not that. That could get old after a few days, much less a couple of weeks (or however long this is going to be).
Everybody on the show today seemed to think taking wrestling out of the Olympics is a bad idea. It was one of those stories that every single guest wanted to comment on, even if that’s not what they were on for, and the opinion was unanimous.
It was interesting to hear Steinberg debate Brunt about athletes being role models, because Brunt’s made his opinion pretty clear in the past: he doesn’t think athletes have any responsibility to be role models.
As much as I tried, I just couldn’t get into Tessaro and Bob talk about gambling for 15 minutes, so that’s why that segment had only one bullet point.
What’s Bob Ryan’s role on the show now? He’s a regular guest at this point and seems to show up every week. Is he their new US national baseball reporter, or is he just there to talk about the view from Boston? It just seems weird to me because generally their US guests all have a specific role (national baseball analyst, legal analyst, NFL analyst, etc, etc) but I’m not sure what Ryan’s specialty is. He’s semi-retired and just seems to generally talk about sports and how things look in Boston.
Photo available here