Toronto Sports Media Sports Radio Lineups

by Rob G

Here’s your drive home lineups

On Sportsnet 590 The FAN from 4-7pm, Prime Time Sports with guest host Elliotte Friedman. Damien Cox co-hosts from 5pm:

400 – Tim Micallef and Sid Seixeiro
420 – Ben Rothenberg, New York Times
440 – Open segment with Friedman
500 – Open segment with Friedman & Cox
520 – Nick Kypreos, Sportsnet
540 – Sherry Bassin, Owner/GM, Erie Otters
600 – Ed Olczyk, NBC Sports hockey analyst & Dan Murphy, Vancouver Canucks reporter
620 – Tim McGraw, country music star
640 – Paul Quantrill, former Blue Jays pitcher, just hired as a consultant

On TSN Radio 1050 from 4-7pm, TSN Drive with Dave Naylor. Brian Williams and Dave Feschuk are co-hosting today:

TBD

On TSN (5pm) & TSN2 (6:30pm), Off the Record with Michael Landsberg:

Zach Parise, Minnesota Wild forward
Alexander Medvedev, KHL president

Today on Sportsline:

TBD

Darren Johnston (@AFRAUDHATER)
Darren Johnston (@AFRAUDHATER)
February 19, 2013 5:45 pm

Just watched about 5 minutes of PTS and had to turn the channel, Cox was as usual being a real Prick tonight, it was during the opening segment between 5:00-5:20. He must wake up everyday and wonder how many people he can try and belittle and or humiliate in 24 hours, what a pathetic man.

Kamlesh
Kamlesh
February 19, 2013 5:53 pm

Matt Cauz’s interview with Adam Proteau today to begin the second hour of his show was classic Cauz, with all the funny digressions. His comic skills can leave even Tim and Sid looking flat footed and pedestrian. When Mackowycz joins him, if they have any chemistry at all, this may well be the most entertaining show on either station – as long as Cauz isn’t reigned in from his late night self. Looking forward to listening to his show this Reading Week.

Mike Richards can also be funny but he has the bad luck to go up against Greg Brady, who can riff on NHL drafts from 10 years ago, the competence of EPL managers, and moneyball with ease and humour. I listen to Brady live, but when I’ve listened to Richards podcasts lately, the show is much improved from a year ago. His comedy is “dumb” on purpose, the droppings of a giant id. Maybe the philosopher Justin Smith would like Richards’ show.

Alex
Alex
February 19, 2013 6:07 pm

Listening to mondays segment about the world cup and cox pulled his “why do we need more hockey,” i wish elliott or arash would have exposed him as the bitter sportswriter who now hates what he has covered for 20+ years.

Darren Johnston (@AFRAUDHATER)
Darren Johnston (@AFRAUDHATER)
February 19, 2013 6:09 pm

Good luck with that Alex, Friedman seems to have the spine of a Jelly Fish.

Bingo Bango Bongo
Bingo Bango Bongo
February 19, 2013 6:10 pm

I’m pretty sure Kamlesh IS Matt Cauz. There is no way ANYBODY can say Cauz has comic skills. Annoying? Absolutely. Funny? Not a chance.

February 19, 2013 6:23 pm

Haha Kamlesh I really don’t get your Matt Cauz-love, but I’m glad you enjoy it!

February 19, 2013 6:26 pm

Naylor just said that Kate Beirness will be his co-host tomorrow

Another Steve
Another Steve
February 19, 2013 6:33 pm

I think the interview of the week was the one on PTS tonight with Ben Rothenberg of the NY Times regarding Canada’s Rebecca Marino and the use of social media. Granted, I am a huge tennis fan so I would find this story especially interesting, but it was a very humanizing – and solid – story all the same.

Alex
Alex
February 19, 2013 7:21 pm

Tsn review prob not up until tom orrow. Won’tget to hear whole show tonight.

Julian
Julian
February 19, 2013 8:11 pm

Mike Toth is better than Kate Beirness at sports trivia.

Kamlesh
Kamlesh
February 19, 2013 9:23 pm

Cathal Kelly has an interesting article on why he thinks Oscar Pistorius might not be convicted, even with all the holes in his story. Apparently South Africans are paralysed with fear of a home invasion, but OP left the door to the patio open until 3AM. And apparently his voice doesn’t carry through a bathroom door.

Kelly will be Naylor’s co-host on Thursday. Should be an interesting show.

Raptors Devotee
Raptors Devotee
February 19, 2013 11:43 pm

I caught for the first time Naylor’s show, and it happened to be perfect timing, as he and Brian Williams were interviewing my neighbour, Milos Raonic, from Memphis. Some really smart questions that really offered some insight into what drives Milos and his ambitions, which are not to be the top Canadian ever to play. He is proud of that, but really, it is no big deal for him, as he has loftier goals, to be the best in the world, which given the golden age of tennis we are in, will not be happening for a while, if ever. It is a progression, as Milos said, and right now he is playing the best tennis of his career.

I tweeted to Naylor a mistake he made when he introduced Milos, that he was the only 3-time winner of the tournament. I am not sure how he missed that, as it was mentioned at least 10 times (I am not exaggerating) during his matches that I watched. Tony Trabert won it from 1953-55. I have to wonder if Naylor even watched any of the matches i.e. the semi final and/or final, because if he did, he would have known that. Regardless, his fact checkers should have not written that down for him, as they should have known better themselves. Milos was classy enough not to correct him though, he just carried on.

Besides this hiccup, I was impressed and will continue to check it out. I could not stand Cyculski for one second, but Naylor is all business, none of the PTS banter i.e. wasting of time that can get a bit annoying at times, so he has my attention.

Ami Angelwings
February 20, 2013 12:06 am

Has anybody seen this? o: It’s the adventures of Adam Lind to defeat the evil John Farrell, NES Final Fantasy style. Also, Gregg Zaun shows up as an enemy with an attack called “ignorant tweet”. xD

Ami Angelwings
February 20, 2013 2:03 am

@Alex as much as I was amused by Cox’s statement there (and in a way I agree that for hockey people the solution to everything in hockey is more hockey), it really does sound as if he’s completely burned out about covering hockey. He seems to hate talking about hockey, talking to hockey players, talking to hockey media people, talking to hockey fans. That roundtable was also a giant insult fest between Cox, Friedman and Madani. Only Kirke just kinda twiddled his fingers and went with him (one of the things I like about Kirke is that he always takes being made fun of with good humor.)

Ami Angelwings
February 20, 2013 2:03 am

*went with it

Mose
February 20, 2013 7:35 am

Your entire blog, “Toronto Sports Media Sports Radio Lineups” was worth commenting on!

Merely needed to admit you really did a fantastic job. Thanks for your effort ,Dwight

Cam
Cam
February 20, 2013 7:59 am

Julian that is way too funny on so many levels!

Ami, not so sure that Cox isn’t also tired of being on PTS based on his recent performance. Perhaps he thinks he should fill in for McCown, who knows, but, he is brutal with Friedman. I find his perpetual, arrogant, obnoxious, contrarian behviour tedious and tiresome. (Like that sentence) So, yesterday, I flipped on Naylor’s show and was pleasantly surprised. In the past when Cox or Shannon would get to me, there wasn’t a credible alternative so I would go on to some other source of entertainment. Now, if this small sampling holds, there is a very credible alternative.

The Achilles heel for PTS lays in the quality of the co-hosts Cox and Shannon. It is purely anecdotal, but in my circle what was once tolerance has changed to derision for both. I doubt whether Naylor will ever be sizzling entertainment, but from what I have heard on the weekends he is intelligent and listenable.

Holding an audience over the long haul is tough and I genuinely believe there is fatigue in the PTS listenership. It is exacerbated by those two. Will this new TSN vehicle seriously dent PTS ratings, don’t know as there are still the signal and reach issues. While I am only one individual, I also believe I will not be alone in switching to Naylor when Cox or Shannon inevitably do what they do. What I am questioning now is will I even give them a chance?

February 20, 2013 10:57 am

Haha Daniel I really don’t get your Mike Wilner-love, but I’m glad you enjoy it! 🙂

kyle
kyle
February 20, 2013 12:08 pm

I caught a little of Naylor’s show on Tuesday, really only long enough to hear Williams voice on the show (on my train ride west, it cuts out around Oakville). My first thought was, okay, following the same old, pack the first week or so with known names. What’s it going to be like in 6 months.

My other thought is, and wondering what others think, if Naylor’s co-host chair is going to be rotating, should there be a set rotation (Arthur – Monday, Feschuk – Tuesday, etc), the same people on the same day, or is it okay to have whoever show up that day? Does it matter?

Nan Young Lee
Nan Young Lee
February 20, 2013 12:59 pm

Arash Madani tweets about Rebecca Marino:

“Hate to be a buzz kill, but if you can’t handle criticism on Twitter, do you have the mental make-up for the rigours of the pro tennis tour?”

Damien Cox responds:

“re Rebecca Marino, ppl need to differentiate btwn being tough mentally on the court and having to deal with vicious crap off. Not the same.”

I think Arash is right on this one.

@afraudhater
@afraudhater
February 20, 2013 1:03 pm

Cox is right. NOBODY should have to put up with that crap period. Just another forum of bullying!

February 20, 2013 3:43 pm

KYLE — having listened to lots of shows in different markets, my opinion is that a rotating cast works well if the co-hosts are of a sufficient quality. Regularity is less important, and in some sense, lack of regularity helps prevent staleness.

I guess at the end of the day as long as the priority is putting on a quality intelligent show then both regular or irregular co-hosts can work.

The main complaint here against PTS has been how quality has taken a back seat to cronyism. The FOB moniker didn’t come about by accident — it basically just means you wouldn’t be a regular guest or co-host if you weren’t a friend of Bob.

Kamlesh
Kamlesh
February 20, 2013 4:21 pm

Speaking of that tennis player and twitter hate, Naylor just said on his show that in the second hour he will be talking to Gurdeep Ahluwalia and Nabil Karim about the racist tweets occurring when they subbed for Jay and Dan last night.