Toronto Sports Media Sports Radio Lineups

by Rob G

Here’s your drive home lineups

On Sportsnet 590 The FAN from 4-7pm, Prime Time Sports with Bob McCown:

400 – Phones for the full hour
500 – Roundtable of McCown, Damien Cox, Arash Madani, and Elliotte Friedman

On TSN Radio 1050 from 4-7pm, TSN Drive with Dave Naylor. co-hosts:

TBD

On TSN (5pm) & TSN2 (6:30pm), Off the Record with Michael Landsberg:

Dana White, UFC President
Ronda Rousey, UFC fighter
Dan Byelsma, Penguins coach

Today on Sportsline:

TBD

sam in oshawa
sam in oshawa
February 22, 2013 7:14 pm

Very good job this week Dave Naylor, Landsberg and Simmons from 4 to 5 was stellar. I got what i was hoping for, an alternative from the wind-bags way down the dial. Thank-you…

February 22, 2013 7:26 pm

best/smartest segment i’ve heard so far this week:

TSN Drive’s 4pm hour on Feb 21st. Naylor, Cathal Kelly, and B. Arthur discussing Twitter. This is usually an instantly boring topic for me but the 3 of them did a great job of covering the nuances of how the boundaries of professional respect between media and athletes are broken by Twitter.

I’ve found Kelly pretty insipid when he has appeared as a guest on both the Fan and TSNr but he was very good as a co-host. I look forward to reading how Alex and others found him.

Overall impression of Naylor’s show is really good … no dumb jokes, no endless put downs, no interruptions, no making car noises in the background, no sarcastic snickering while someone is making a point. Just solid analysis by well-spoken and well-informed individuals. The change in Arthur is frankly amazing … he came across as really self-absorbed and lame during the Cybulski era. This is much better.

Another Steve
Another Steve
February 22, 2013 8:58 pm

I just listened to the 1050 Drive conversation indicated above, and it was quite a good listen.

It’s great that there’s two reasonable options in the 4 to 7pm slot now, although I suspect that, out of habit, I will still lean toward 590.

However, I’d like to repeat a criticism of 1050 that I think has been offered in the past day or so: it was really difficult for me to find the podcast of Thursday’s 4pm hour. I don’t often listen to podcasts of sports radio, and it looks like TSN is guessing that not many other people do this as well, since they clearly haven’t put much effort into making things easy to use/locate.

Alex
Alex
February 23, 2013 2:52 am

was Cox really serious today when he suggested American hockey fans think fights are works like pro wrestling?

February 23, 2013 9:22 am

Here is occasional Rogers employee and special media critic to the Globe Bruce Dowbiggin on the 1st week of Naylor

“It was an unobstructed launch for new afternoon drive host Dave Naylor in his first week on TSN 1050 Radio. With ratings king Bob McCown away until Thursday from his host position at Sportsnet Radio The Fan 590, listeners had a chance to sample the new format on both radio and TSN2.

It’s hard to judge any program after a week of shows but a few observations: As we said before, Naylor is a laid-back journalist, probably better suited in the reporting mode. So the program we saw is interview- and panel-driven, removing the onus on Naylor to carry the momentum.

TSN has a full bench to supply guests for Naylor, and so Bob McKenzie, Brian Williams, Kate Beirness and others were featured in week one. Leading one to assume that the program will be a collaborative effort with Naylor orchestrating voices. That, of course, flies in the face of most radio wisdom which says that listeners tune in for the host. McCown’s popularity being the best example.

With McCown away this week, FAN 590 has been using substitute hosts and plenty of guests. Both TSN 1050 and The Fan 590 tend to let interviews with athletes and coaches go on far too long. Five minutes is more than enough for an interview unless you’re getting exclusive material. For instance, an interview with former Blue Jays pitcher Paul Quantrill on FAN 590 Wednesday seemed to go on forever.

Again, listeners want the host, not the guest, unless there is an exceptional circumstance. That’s been a strength for McCown who steers clear of many rote interviews with cliche-wielding athletes.

A final note to TSN for its TV simulcast on both Naylor’s show and Mike Richards’s morning program. Either raise the chairs of the hosts or lower the monitors in front of them. Right now the studio shot is like peeking over a fence.

Former TSN afternoon host James Cybulski tells Usual Suspects he’s leaving the network. Cybulski indicated a desire to return to Vancouver with his family. Don’t be surprised to see him show up on rival Sportsnet on the Left Coast.

As Naylor will discover, going against McCown is the radio equivalent of The Forlorn Hope brigade. Given another time slot, Cybulski’s show might well have been a success, but with the male 25-54 demographic in McCown’s hip pocket, only an extreme counter-programming concept has any chance of getting ears. It was a gallant effort, but doomed almost from day one.”

February 23, 2013 2:41 pm

Caught a little bit of Naylor.

My first impression is that it’s far, far better than Cybulski.

I think the show will continue to play little brother to McCown, as Naylor is not a huge personality, while McCown is a huge one. I doubt it will have much of a wide spread appeal beyond hardcore sports fans.

But, at least it seems like there’s a good alternative now. If they do some decent baseball talk I’ll tune in. Still find the rest of the TSN day very boring though. No interest in listening to Richards or Hayes.

February 23, 2013 3:14 pm

While Naylor’s roundtable segment with Simmons and Landsberg was great, I will say he was pretty dry on his own. Smart and well spoken, just not a ton of personality.

Lance D.
Lance D.
February 23, 2013 3:33 pm

I’m very pleased with Dave Naylor’s first week on TSN Drive.

I don’t buy into the theory from some that because he doesn’t have a big personality he may not be successful or challenge PTS. His personality is just fine if you like strong, intelligent analysis and discussion on a wide variety of sports. He and his co-hosts will likely add enough personality and entertainment without going overboard or being silly. I suspect his show will exceed expectations and there has been enough positive feedback to suggest I may be correct.

Bob McCown who?

Thanks.

Mullah_Kintyre
Mullah_Kintyre
February 23, 2013 3:46 pm

Will the hour of Naylor on TV (TSN2 at 6 pm) remain as a one hour delay of the 5 pm radio hour? It’s a strange thing to do, particularly when the TSN morning show hour that’s on TV is live (or more accurately delayed by a few seconds), much like PTS on Sportsnet.

And both of the nationally televised TSN Radio hours make little or no attempt to be focused on topics of more national interest, instead of local Toronto ones.

I don’t expect the boring Naylor to make much of a dent in the PTS ratings, although it is good to have an alternative. I immediately switched away from PTS on Friday for the first hour at 4 pm when McCown said he would be taking listener phone calls.

Alex
Alex
February 23, 2013 5:13 pm

Since Bob and Naylor had some kind of relationship in the past, has Bob made any snide comments about the other station’s new shows this week?

I know Cox made some smart ass comment I think on Monday.

Mildly surprised the PTS Roundtable didn’t touch on the racial abuse given to the TSN anchors. I know Friedman had tweeted about it and figured condemning what happened might cross party lines.

Curt
Curt
February 24, 2013 12:49 pm

I enjoyed Naylor’s show. I understand that some may think he’s not dynamic enough, but personally, I prefer a host who explores issues and conducts a proper discussion over someone who always makes it about himself and has nothing new to say…

Still too much hockey talk for me, but what are you gonna do? I know it was the first week, but the co-hosts were very good and didn’t leave me with a headache. Hopefully, they can get up the dial a bit. I remember when the FAN was at 1430 – it really helped when they landed the stronger 590 spot. This has always been an advantage for Bob over any competition.