Toronto Sports Media Sports Radio Lineups

by Rob G

Here’s your drive home lineups

On Sportsnet 590 The FAN from 4-7pm, Prime Time Sports with Bob McCown. Damien Cox co-hosts from 5pm:

400 – Phones for the full hour

Kate Beirness, TSN Sportscenter
Bob McKenzie, TSN hockey insider

On TSN (5pm) & TSN2 (6:30pm), Off the Record with Michael Landsberg:

Bruce Arthur and Steve Simmons, Columnists
Gary Payton, NBA Legend

Today on Sportsline:

Have the Maple Leafs ‘really’ gotten the monkey or gorilla off their back after beating Boston on Saturday night? After winning for the 3rd time this year and regaining the number 1 ranking is Tiger Woods all the way back? Are Blue Jays concerned about the long term health of 3rd baseman Brett Lawrie? This plus the Hebsys today at 5, on CHCH!

Nan Young Lee
Nan Young Lee
March 25, 2013 7:09 pm

Damien Cox tweets:
“Trick for many reporting NHL deals over next 9 days will be to stroke both GMs for future scoops. Not easy to do.”

Is he lowering expectations for Sportsnet and the trade deadline coverage?

Meanwhile on TSN today, Aaron Ward broke the Alexander Semin news and Darren Dreger broke the Jon Cooper hiring in Tampa Bay.

March 25, 2013 7:42 pm

I find the whole Sporstnet/TSN scoop thing to be incredibly lame. I mean really, so Nick Kypreos has the Colton Orr signing 90 seconds before TSN, who cares?

Alex
Alex
March 25, 2013 8:12 pm

Funny to see Becker and Munson on the same day on their respective regular shows.

Derrick
Derrick
March 25, 2013 8:21 pm

, agreed. I don’t understand why that type of reporting now passes for quality journalism.

Reel E
Reel E
March 25, 2013 8:38 pm

Both TSN and Sportsnet have been promoting trade deadline specials for months, pretty much since the season started. The numbers that day are enormous, lots of money on the line, and you two mental giants can’t figure out why they brag about breaking a story. Really? It’s comments like those that really hurt this website. The word is credibility.

Derrick
Derrick
March 25, 2013 10:32 pm

@Reel E, it’s called an “opinion”, or “point of view”, of which I have a different one than you.

But please, educate me as to why breaking a story by Mr. Kypreos or Mr. Mckenzie makes one more credible over another.

In my opinion, normally what happens is both will announce some type of trade, usually within minutes of each other, and then proceed to determine the effect of said trade on both of the teams involved., 5 minutes after finding out about it. How can they provide a thorough analysis of the trade and its effects on the teams involved so soon after it happened?!

As the consumer of the information I am then left to determine whether or not I agree with the analysis. Whether or not the person giving the analysis was the first to break the story should have little to do with the quality of the discussion.

If anything, if the person is so “inside” with parties able to provide them the confidential information as to break a story, then that person may be biased or lack independence to properly analyze the trade. They are beholden to the party providing them with the inside information and are therefore unlikely to provide an opinion which may endanger their “insider” status.

Don Mandrie
Don Mandrie
March 25, 2013 11:05 pm

Poor Damien lost his main source. Maybe he should just stroke off.

March 25, 2013 11:12 pm

Yes, what Derrick said.

Dave-o
Dave-o
March 26, 2013 1:03 am

You know what really hurts this website? Those terrible changing images on the home page. I’ve often found myself second guessing visiting because I know it’s going to be awful.

March 26, 2013 1:10 am

We just finished up three straight weeks of McCown & Brunt as host and co-host of PTS…………..normally those weeks would be great radio………….however the last two weeks involved interviewing everyone in the city of Dunedin (well everyone except Wilner, of course) so that definitely detracted from my enjoyment

Sam in Scarb
Sam in Scarb
March 26, 2013 2:53 am

@ Mike S…agree with you about the 2 week infomercial PTS did on the Blue Jays the past 2 weeks.
Sadly I missed the the gripping 1 on 1 interviews with the part-time ground keeper and the weekend only 3 base line usher.
Must just be me but,a guy like Wilner whom sees 81 home games live 162 in total,hosts a pre game show,post game show and takes at least 162 hours of phone calls from fans is not worthy of being a guest.
I must be wrong!

itchy butt
itchy butt
March 26, 2013 6:22 am

“The numbers that day are enormous”
Yes, because a bunch of puckheads sit by their TV waiting for the “Wayne Gretzky trade”, which in this day and age will never happen again.

Who cares if you hear it a nanosecond before or an hour later? If a trade happens, it will not matter one ass hair until the guys involved get on the ice. It is the OFF season that has more compelling transactions, not “hoser deadline day”.

sam in oshawa
sam in oshawa
March 26, 2013 8:16 am

Is Gretz. on the block? shit what channel?

Reel E
Reel E
March 26, 2013 10:13 am

Derrick and Daniel, the reason why it’s so important to break a story may seem trivial to you, but it does translate in to more viewers or more listeners, whatever the case may be. Perhaps you two gentlemen are more discerning than most. Maybe you feel the opinion and analysis following a trade is more important, and I might agree with you, but the fact remains there is a lot on the line here. Both networks want to “win” because it means more money. It’s pretty simple. Look, we all have access to rumours, statistics and opinions, and they impact how we see things. Everyone’s an expert. The fact remains, you can’t comment on a trade until it’s announced, and you instinctively go to the outlet you believe will get you that information first. That’s why they both promote their scoops.

Derrick
Derrick
March 26, 2013 11:57 am

@Reel E, I need to see hard numbers first before I’ll believe there is any monetary value to “breaking” the story.

Most websites will push breaking stories to subscribers via e-mails, or a source will push a breaking trade via twitter. That means I don’t have to sit in front of a television or have the radio on one station. I can subscribe to multiple feeds or follow multiple people via twitter.

My gut tells me that the “value” of having a trade deadline day can’t be that high.

March 26, 2013 12:54 pm

good discussion here.

I think if there is a value to breaking trades it’s in building one’s brand as “the place to go” or “the market leader”. Basically, McKenzie’s credibility as an insider motivates people to favour TSN over SN, or so the story goes. So, if Kypreos could break a bunch of trades then people might instinctually tune in to the FAN or SN rather than TSN.

in the current online era it’s hard to believe that this means all that much. Most of us are online most of the day. But the number of people who consume their news/entertainment via conventional media is astonishing. Most people still follow trade deadline day by tuning in to some radio or TV station at the end of the day, or checking some MSM website.

How they make the decision which channel to tune in is a bit of a mystery, but it’s not implausible to think they go based on who they believe has more of the inside scoop. So, while i find the “breaking” scoreboard to be annoying, it’s not unreasonable for the networks to care about it.

March 26, 2013 12:57 pm

DanielMaybe one exception was when Brunt had the Thrashers moving to Winnipeg, because he was going with that long before anyone else would confirm it.

LOL. Not sure if you’re being sarcastic, since that was one instance where trying to be first to confirm a story went risibly wrong.

March 26, 2013 3:06 pm

It did? I must have misremembered it!

I thought he said ‘the Thrashers are moving to Winnipeg’ and then TSN wouldn’t confirm it for weeks.

Maybe I’m forgetting something.

March 26, 2013 3:13 pm

“There are plenty of people who think that extended radio interviews with Leaf 3rd and 4th line wingers are absurd…………hopefully those people feel the same way about extended radio interviews with Blue Jay long relievers and minor leaguers in spring training”

Not sure if you’re referring to me here. I definitely thought it was ridiculous when the Watters show would interview random Florida Panters in mid July.

I’d say PTS is much more justified here because it’s a Toronto team that had an insane offseason, and we’re a week from opening day. There’d be the same hype if the Raptors or (especially) the Leafs had a similar offseason.

PTS definitely might have gone a bit overboard baseball wise the last two weeks (particularly if you have no interest in baseball), but after years of sports radio in Toronto seeming like 98% hockey, I’ll happily take it.

March 26, 2013 3:34 pm

Daniel you are a die hard Blue Jays fan so I’m not surprised you enjoyed the last two weeks of PTS and feel that it was justified………….but I’d be surprised if non-die hard fans feel the same way………….one week would have been more than ehough time to talk to all of the key people

I am not a baseball fan but I understand the need for heavy coverage after the offseason the Jays had……………however I just think two full weeks of Blue Jays interviews before the season has even started was definitely overkill

March 26, 2013 3:59 pm

S

That’s fair, yeah. They probably could have stuck to one week.

March 26, 2013 4:51 pm

Here is something for Blue Jays fans……………this is what Brady posted on Twitter earlier today:

“Our show has a huge Blue Jays-oriented announcement tomorrow morning at 730am. No matter how big a fan, it’ll be worth it”

Lance D.
Lance D.
March 26, 2013 8:10 pm

I agree with Dave-O.

What’s with the moving images on this home page. When I try to click on a thread it bounces so I have to re-adjust my pointer and click again. Seems like a pretty minor inconvenience but it annoys me greatly and has in fact discouraged me from clicking on threads more often.

Surely this irritating problem can be repaired?