Blue Jays Apologist?

By TSM

With the Blue Jays off to a rough start, several members of the media are in rare apologist form. My question for you is…..

Mirror Mirror On The Wall, Who’s The Biggest Blue Jays Media Apologist Of Them All?

Darrell
Darrell
April 9, 2013 6:54 pm

Do you even have to ask? It HAS TO BE Mike Wilner, of the FAN 590. Nobody’s allowed to praise the team or cut down the team’s woes – you just need to read the book according to Mike Wilner and the Messiah will have spoken and it is written gospel.

April 9, 2013 7:44 pm

Wilner was by far the chief apologist during the mediocre Ricciardi era so there’s no way he was going to change his stance now that the team is better (well, on paper anyway)…………..therefore he gets my vote

Honourable mention goes to Scott Ferguson (1050) and Buck Martinez (Sportsnet)

Curt
Curt
April 9, 2013 9:41 pm

Don’t listen to Wilner anymore, but I can imagine…

I watched the game today and I was actually surprised that Buck had toned down the sell job somewhat. Maybe even he realizes that folks don’t want to hear it right now. There’s still a lot of time to turn things around but maybe, just maybe, it wasn’t such a good idea turning the hype machine into overdrive before a pitch was thrown. All it did was put a big target on the backs of the players and create wild expectations for fans. Btw, are we going to see those Metric promos all year?

Mike V
Mike V
April 9, 2013 10:35 pm

So anyone who doesn’t tell you to go light your hair on fire and jump off a bridge after 7 f’n games is an apologist now? Give me a break.

Chris
Chris
April 9, 2013 10:44 pm

Which members are in “Apologetic form”? It’s not even 10 games in, so no one is apologizing for anything right now. However, TSM says several are, so I’m sure he’s willing to name perhaps one or two.

Seriously. Have something to back up your post/opinion when you’re going to throw things like this out there.

Ami Angelwings
April 10, 2013 12:06 am

I don’t think it’s fair to say that reminding people that it’s still early is being an apologist. They aren’t saying you can’t be critical of the performances so far, and many media people have noted what’s going on (batters aren’t hitting, fielding errors, starting pitchers not able to get good starts), but you can’t extrapolate that out this early in the season.

April 10, 2013 12:58 am

“I don’t understand………….don’t you guys realize that it’s a “small sample size” and that you aren’t allowed to form any opinions on baseball until June ???”

7 games out of 162 IS small sample size. Jonah Keri wrote yesterday that every single team in baseball had at least one 1-5 stretch and at least one 5-1 stretch last year.

So yeah… the first 7 games have been crap. But when fans lose all perspective, and act like the season is over in the first week they deserve some ridicule.

The truth is, it IS really early. If the Jays suck in June/July and some are spinning it as the team doing well, THEN we’ll know who the apologists are. Absurd to pull this out now.

April 10, 2013 1:47 am

That said, of course there’s nothing wrong with acknowledging it’s been a crap start. But I think some media are reacting to the ‘sky is falling’ types. Baseball is such an incredibly long haul.

April 10, 2013 2:24 am

Yes I am aware that 7 games out of 162 is a very small sample size………..I am just getting a bit tired of hearing that phrase used when it comes to all sports (not just baseball)

If you really think about it, much of sports is a small sample size……………the NFL regular season is only 16 games, Wimbledon is only 7 matches, the Masters is only 4 rounds, you only need to win 6 games to win March Madness…………and the Olympics is the very definition of small sample size (many athletes train for four years and their event only lasts a couple of minutes or less)

If a quarterback has a bad game in the Super Bowl does the fact that it is a small sample size mean he should not be criticized at all?…………….I don’t think so………………and yes I realize baseball is somewhat unique because it is the only sport that has the luxury of being able to play 162 games

Ami Angelwings
April 10, 2013 3:05 am

But I don’t think the media, even Wilner is saying the Jays haven’t played poorly. Wilner admits the Jays have played poorly. But it’s the difference between “the team has played like crap” and “the team is crap”. I think the response has been that it’s too early to determine if the team is bad, but that right now they ARE playing terribly, and yes they can be criticized for how badly they’re playing. Wilner hasn’t ignored the fact that they’re playing badly. He (and Blair is with him on this too) just believes that the players have too much of a track record to decide that this is the new normal after a few games.

(And I’m not saying this out of a pro-Jays bias, or defensiveness, or even criticizing critical fans. I’m just trying to explain that from my reading, the media response is not that black and white. 🙂 )

Mike V
Mike V
April 10, 2013 6:19 am

“The Blue Jays couldn’t have picked a worse way to close out their first homestand of the season, following up a dominating shutout win on Saturday by getting utterly thrashed on Sunday – down by five runs before an out was even recorded.”

“There was a lot of hype about this Blue Jays team in the off-season, and so far none of the highly-touted additions to the team have performed to expectations, with the exception of Jose Reyes.”

“Things don’t get any easier for the Blue Jays as they hit the road for the first time this season. Their first stop is Detroit, home of the defending American League Champions.”

Those quotes were from Wilner’s post after Sunday’s game. What was wrong with that?

JW
JW
April 10, 2013 8:18 am

While I loved them both when they played Buck and Tabler are by far the worst. I actually don’t mind the ‘homer’ stuff from a rights holder (White Sox ,,, Yeessssss) but these two do it with a very uninteresting style. Virtually every baseball comment is slanted in the Jays favour.
I guess it’s really a part if what has become a Blue Jays infomercial brought to you by Rogers.

Roger
Roger
April 10, 2013 8:46 am

I agree its only 7 games but from what I hear if the Jays are sitting in 4th place or worse in June, Gibbons will be gassed. There is no patience for failure at Rogers (at least for this season).

PTIFan
PTIFan
April 10, 2013 6:45 pm

Wilner has an annoying habit of putting words in people who disagree with him mouths. (example this summer, fans who wanted Happ to get the fifth starter role over Romero, Wilner continued to say Happ supperts overrate him and think he’s going to be an award winning pitcher, nobody said that, we/they know his limitations but it looks likeRomero can’t get past the second inning and Happ is more of a stable choice for now., and the team agreed. Wilner went quiet)

Same thing with this situation, I don’t hear too many people thinking the seasons over, What they are saying is concern that I/they had BEFORE the season and it’s looking (for now) not much is done to ease those concerns. If you loved this team and think nobody could compete with them in the AL East (which BTW Wilner said a week before the season when interviewed by a legit smart baseball guy in Jeff Blair) of course you probably won’t have much concern. But if you had concerns before the season, you are just repeating those concerns.

Sunday is actually perfect Wilner, he talked how nobody can form an opinion after a week of games, but in the same breath says the bullpen looks great and Cecil as been great and thinks the bullpen with Cecil will be a strength. He picks and chooses which short term stats to talk about. It’s funny that he talked about the fans panicikng, today on the rain delay Jays talk a fan mentioned the AL east looks stronger than expected, Wilner reply “Nobody said it was going to be easy”. Actually Wilner did, a week before the season on Blair show, he said he said he “Can’t see any team competiting with the Jays in the East”.