Trouble Brewing On Score & Rogers Deal?

By TSM

There are rumblings this morning on twitter that Greg Sansone could be reading the axe to drop on folks at The Score. I’ve been unable to verify those rumblings, at least as of right now.

I can tell you that multiple reliable sources are telling me that the deal may not close as expected and that perhaps the CRTC isn’t giving the deal the easy approval both parties had hoped for.

This doesn’t mean the deal is dead.

It does sound like it’s going to be a little bit rockier and therefore the terms could change.

Stay tuned….

BTW- anyone notice that those who give fans crap about freaking out about the Blue Jays start are the same ones who stir the pot on twitter when the team struggles during a game???

Darrell
Darrell
April 11, 2013 4:03 pm

Renee Paquette was the sexiest woman on at the station and she knew her sports. Who else is there really at the Score that knew their sports knowledge and present themselves great?

Not all that surprised. I don’t watch the Score for any sports coverage at all. It is a WWE Wrestling station and that isn’t sports.

MattK
MattK
April 11, 2013 4:33 pm

The Score used to be my favourite of the 3, too bad it didn’t work out. Nothing gets me to change the channel quicker then those clips of the employees talking about sports in the office.

PTIFan
PTIFan
April 11, 2013 5:06 pm

The Score was great back in the day, Both incarnations of Score Tonight was better than anything from the giants sports channels combos.

I wonder if Score gets bought out they will just put a bunch of Fan radio shows on the channel, like they do with PTS on Sportsnet. It would bring a whole new experience of being able to see WIlner polishing turds instead of just hearing it lol.

Speaking of, not sure exactly what you saying for your last part, would like to hear more detail. What I have notice is the people who give fans crap of being negative about a loss, they becomes really sarcastic and mocking when the team wins a game (like Wed game) which of course brings even more venom against them and the team after the team gets destroyed again (like today)

Neal
Neal
April 12, 2013 3:23 am

I worked at The Score for seven years. I only have great memories of my time there particularly with all of my co-workers as we grew up there along with it taking it from infancy to a more mature stage competing with the other two networks hour by hour, day by day. It has been very painful to watch it slowly wind up its life becoming a shadow of its former self and set upon a new course. I am sure that its new life will be just as exciting as when the network first began. Change is always tough.

Sam in Scarb
Sam in Scarb
April 12, 2013 3:49 am

The Score employes Cam Stewart nothing more needs to be said!!!

Mullah_Kintyre
Mullah_Kintyre
April 12, 2013 11:14 am

What is the problem the CRTC has with the purchase of The Score by Rogers? If it is the decreasing amount of competition with Rogers and Bell owning all the sports channels, wouldn’t they just reject the deal (as with the first Bell attempt to buy Astral) instead of imposing more conditions?

The major problem with The Score in recent years is that its licensing requirements originating from its Headline Sports beginnings make it an anachronism today. I had forgotten this channel existed before we heard the story of Rogers trying to buy it last year. I can’t remember the last time I watched it — maybe it was for NFL highlights on a Sunday night about 8-10 years ago before we had the NFL Network. But then I don’t understand why anyone today would watch SportsCentre or Connected, when there’s been more immediate and specific sources of information and video clips for many years now.

On another CRTC related note, what’s going to happen in Canada with the Speed TV channel’s August 17 transition in the U.S. to Fox Sports 1?
Speed has been available in Canada since 1997 as an allowed “non-Canadian” channel, but can be removed from availability if a format change makes it directly competitive with existing Canadian channels, which this certainly appears to be. If the Fox Sports channel is allowed to stay, it could then potentially outbid TSN and Sportsnet for Canadian rights to major events. It’s difficult to imagine Rogers and Bell would not complain to cause Speed/FS1 to be removed from Canada, and if they don’t then presumably NBC Sports Network and ESPN could then conceivably also argue they should be allowed into Canada. Yet a precedent may have already been set with the CBS Sports Network still being available in Canada when it similarly changed its format from a college sports channel. It’s been more than a month after the Fox announcement, and Rogers and Bell have so far appeared afraid to say anything.