Brief Toronto Sports Radio Ratings

By TSM

I will get you more later, but here is some brief numbers for March.

mornings

m25-54 fan 6.8 (down from 8.1)
tsn 2.5 (down from 2.9)
m 18-34 Tsn 1.9 (down from 2.5)
tsn 4.9 (up from 4.3)

afternoon drive:

m 25-54 fan 8.8 (down from 11.3)
tsn 2.4 (flat from 2.4)

m 18-34 fan 1.9 (down from 2.9)
tsn 4.7 (up from 3.9)

Strange to see such a big drop for Mccown. I wonder why he dropped from an 11.3 to an 8.8.

I will get more info and put into the chart

I was going to do a Raptors end of season rant but there wasn’t enough material out there!

cdlawrence
cdlawrence
April 18, 2013 7:35 am

Could it have been because it was nothing but Baseball for like a month and some people just don’t give a damn who the 3rd string Shortstop in Vegas is going to be? I know that’s the reason I don’t search out the podcasts anymore.

Ami Angelwings
April 18, 2013 9:26 am

I was wondering all March if PTS being all Jays all the time would affect them and maybe it did. Though, if it did, it appears people weren’t tuning into TSN as an alternative, at least as far as these ratings go.

Roger
Roger
April 18, 2013 9:40 am

Two reasons for the drop in ratings:

1. Naylor is a HUGE improvement over the unfunny frat boy he replaced.
2. Not as many listeners are in love with the jays as Rogers thought.

Steve in Waterloo
Steve in Waterloo
April 18, 2013 10:39 am

I have been bored with PTS of late. It seems more about the co-host(s) and McCowan’s banter than it is about sports.

Based on years of listening/ reading experience and having a bit of knowledge of personalities, I can find some mild interest in listening to Bob and Cox’s banter, but my son, not so much.

“What are you listening to two old guys talk about stupid things for?”

I think PTS needs to re focus Bob a little…

Jonathan Giggs
April 18, 2013 1:29 pm

I agree with Roger about Naylor. How refreshing it is to hear interesting conversations, without constant and mindless interruptions, about sports!

Nan Young Lee
Nan Young Lee
April 18, 2013 1:43 pm

So, no Bob in Florida next year?

Shouldn’t the mornings “m 18-34 Tsn 1.9 (down from 2.5)” be for the Fan?

Have been enjoying Jeff O’Neill on 1050. He has improved greatly from a nervous start. Sometimes his irony is positively English:

(Another) Andrew
(Another) Andrew
April 18, 2013 2:27 pm

I think the above commenters are correct about too much baseball. That was the reason I tuned out for most of March and found that I didn’t miss it that much. It actually spurred me on to finally do what a friend suggested a while ago: “Download podcasts from around the world instead of accepting, then griping about what you are being force fed by local media”. There are some good ones on soccer and F1 – sports never discussed seriously on PTS – and there appears to be plenty of American radio stuff widely available too. Right now I’m trying out Tennis Connected from iTunes.

I see Naylor is on TV now – I can’t get it on radio – so I’ll give that a try in the 6 to 7pm hour. I suspect TSN radio might be better during the NHL playoffs than PTS given that Bob doesn’t seem to watch hockey.

Rob
Rob
April 18, 2013 5:14 pm

I’ve been a Prime Time Sports guy forever and growing tired of Bobs rants,” Idiot this and idiot producer that”. I realize this is the act in some way but when the serious and best co-host Stephen Brunt is constantly interrupted by Bob, I’m slowly tuning out! Naylor on TSN looks pretty good

Alex
Alex
April 18, 2013 5:30 pm

I would recommend podcasting all sports talk radio, so you can skip segments easily.

kyle
kyle
April 18, 2013 9:12 pm

I’ll agree that McCown lost some ground (a) because of the baseball focus, and (b) due to Naylor’s refreshing show; but, the numbers can’t be a direct if-then; they don’t add up (esp if TSN’s 25-54 rating is flat)

April 18, 2013 10:48 pm

Despite the fact that many found there was too much baseball talk in March (myself not among them) radio ratings are inexact enough, that I’m not sure you can really tell much from a 2.5 point drop one period to another.

I think stations are more concerned with the trends over a period of time. I think McCown’s been sitting around 10 or 11 for a while now. If he has a few books around 8, we’ll get an idea that he’s slipped a bit. Same with Naylor (who right now is doing about the same as Cybulski did).

Too Much
Too Much
April 18, 2013 11:17 pm

Daniel is correct – 2.5 drop could probably fall within “standard error”. It is the long term trend that is important. Likewise with Naylor – this is a longer term project – you have to allow for people noticing, changing, etc etc. That doesn’t happen in the space of two, three, four weeks.

Ami Angelwings
April 19, 2013 5:01 am

So what you’re saying is… “it’s a long season”? xD

Pudge72
Pudge72
April 25, 2013 1:24 am

I’m just getting tired of the McCown schtick (all the pet phrases, especially, coupled with the constant (and frankly, unprofessional) references to his contract and the negotiations), combined with the mediocre co-hosting of Cox and Shannon. I only will stay tuned in if Brunt is co-hosting and/or the topic/guest is interesting. The call in segments and the pointless banter that seems to fill the 5-5:10 period on some/many days are irritating.

Anthony
Anthony
May 1, 2013 10:37 pm

What ever happened to the chart…