Toronto Sports Media Sports Radio Lineups

by Rob G

Here’s your drive home lineups

On Sportsnet 590 The FAN from 4-7pm, Prime Time Sports with Bob McCown:

400 – 500 – Phones
500 – 700 – Roundtable with McCown, John Shannon, Sid Seixeiro, and Elliotte Friedman

On TSN Radio 1050 from 4-7pm, TSN Drive with Dave Naylor. co-hosts:

Dave Hodge, host of TSN’s The Reporters
Gino Reda, host of TSN’s That’s Hockey
Chris Stevenson, Toronto Sun
Claude Loiselle, Leafs Asst. GM
Darren Dreger, TSN hockey insider

On TSN (5pm) & TSN2 (6:30pm), Off the Record with Michael Landsberg:

TBD

Today on Sportsline:

TBD

Ami Angelwings
April 20, 2013 2:55 am

Another reason I can’t stand Shannon is how many hockey people are his “friends”. Not about him being biased, but that he keeps using “hey now! that’s my friend you’re talking about! Stop being mean to my friend!” as an argument against criticizing a person, when that’s not an argument at all, and it’s really annoying. He did this with Don Cherry and Ron MacLean too when defending them after some controversy, just the “hey I know them! Leave them alone!”

Blue Jays Devotee
Blue Jays Devotee
April 20, 2013 8:56 am

I am not sure when, but at some point, Keith Pelley is going to have to man up and take on McCown with his FOB, and #1 on the list is without a doubt Shannon. I avoid him like the plague, on PTS, and even flipping on tv when he is there. He is the kind of guy that as a kid got picked on and bullied as a “know it all”, and that hasn’t changed as he’s gone through life.

With Naylor now formidable competition for McCown, and the ratings will be reflecting that, I do have hope that this will be the impetus for the end of Shannon, or at least the banishment outside of hockey production segments, where he actually can speak with a certain degree of knowledge, but even with that, his whiney voice is more than enough to turn me off regardless.

April 21, 2013 2:26 pm

That’s a good example of part of what makes Shannon awful on the show, Ami.

It’s almost crazy how negative the feedback is of him on here. Doesn’t anyone from The Fan read this board?

I’m sure he’s a good guy, but please, no more of him as a PTS cohost!

Alex
Alex
April 21, 2013 5:14 pm

I think i’ve said this before, but i started listening to PTS when Shannon was the co-host most of the time (during the summer when Brunt was out fishing), so my tolerance for him may be higher than most.

I would still take Shannon over Damien.

Lee (Oakville)
Lee (Oakville)
April 21, 2013 6:28 pm

No matter how annoying Shannon is he’s still superior to Damien Cox.

Blue Jays Devotee
Blue Jays Devotee
April 21, 2013 6:48 pm

Damien Cox is pretty much in the same category as John Shannon for me, although I am able to at least tolerate him to still tune in given the guests on.

Having said that, with Naylor as an excellent alternative, it really gives me listening options, although TSN is still, and always be too hockey-centric for me.

When Brunt is on I can have my guard down and freely tune in. Outside of that, it is a minefield tuning in.

I do find of late my schedule is such that I am tuning in less than I used to, but now instead of ignoring TSN when Cybulski was there, I check both stations out to see who is on and who’s the guest.

The afternoon updates are helpful and appreciated btw as I rarely catch podcasts unless it is a subject/guest that I really wanted to listen to.