The Ever Changing Landscape Of Print Media In Canada

By TSM

A happy Derby Day to you all!

When I started this blog way back in June of 2008 the field covering sports media in Toronto and more so in Canada was crowded. Chris Zelkovich covered the beat for the Toronto Star, William Houston did the same for the Globe and Mail with Bruce Dowbiggin filling in and taking over when Houston left.

Zelkovich left the Star, with occasional coverage from various writers. The National Post doesn’t have a dedicated sports media writer and neither does the Toronto Sun.

Well, neither now does the Globe and Mail.

Multiple sources tell me that The Globe and Mail has not renewed the contract of Bruce Dowbiggin. Originally I was told that it was a labor formality in that Dowbiggin was an independent contractor and due to legal issues the Globe wasn’t signing any new contractor agreements. However, over the last couple of days sources have told me that’s not the case, and rather his contract just wasn’t renewed.

Calls to the Globe and Mail weren’t returned.

I am told however that the Globe will be asking other writers to cover sports media stories as they occur.

So, some 5 years later the all the major print outlets no longer cover those who cover the games.

Don’t fret, I’m still here!!!

Happy Saturday and may your horse win, place or show!!!

BlueJaysDevotee
BlueJaysDevotee
May 4, 2013 3:14 pm

Like anything that Bruce Dowbiggin covered matters. He is so irrelevant that it won’t change my life in any way with his contract not being renewed.

TSM, we are in good hands with you running the show here, and you certainly have been able to quickly turn a profit running it and it continues to grow.

Congrats on taking the bull by the horns when we were desperately looking for content that you supply on a regular basis.

What makes this site special are the guest commentators who critique the shows and the comments associated with them.

My first posting with my Q10 while at my Open House and it is so easy to do.

Nan Young Lee
Nan Young Lee
May 4, 2013 4:55 pm

Dave Feschuk has won this year’s National Newspaper Award for sportswriting for this column:

Also, according to Richard Peddie’s twitter account, he has a book about MLSE coming out in October. To be titled “Dream Job”. Should be very interesting if he doesn’t hold back.

dsscpu
dsscpu
May 4, 2013 11:32 pm

Don’t like to see people lose their job, but Dowbiggin was a far cry from William Houston’s quality work. TSM, do you know where Houston wound up landing at the end of the day? It’s pretty disappointing “the big four” are going to choose to have a dedicated writer to this topic…

Nan Young Lee
Nan Young Lee
May 5, 2013 11:19 am

Long before Tim Leiweke, Richard Peddie came up with Maple Leaf Square:

I was surprised TSN didn’t telecast from the Square yesterday, as Sportsnet did. For once, Sportsnet was better. They even had Tim and Sid there. Where are Jay and Dan? TSN should hire Tim and Sid, and pay them TV money, to replace Onrait and O’Toole, instead of a series of Ken dolls. If they fail on TV put them back on radio against Brady or Bob. Only the BBC is a better than TSN, but I fear they could be slipping.

And I see Bill Watters tweeting that he was on TSN 1250 in Winnipeg and AM640 with Oakley, why he is not doing something with 1050? I don’t know why he was not on Sportsnet after they apparently signed him. The word of Rogers’ suits is apparently worth nothing. They are truly horrible people.

Sam
Sam
May 5, 2013 11:47 am

Given all the convergence, for what print entity would it make the most sense to have a full (or even part-time) writer dedicated to sports media?

May 5, 2013 1:42 pm

@Nan

I don’t think it was ever said that Rogers signed Watters, or gave him their word about anything. He was just on a roundtable.

Rob in Aurora
Rob in Aurora
May 6, 2013 2:34 pm

No surprise here. I assumed he was gassed – He hadn’t appeared on G&M.com in a long while – I followed Dowbiggin in the Globe and read the comments under his columns, it was very surprising to me just how long he lasted with them. He was roasted by his readers all the time, with almost no complimentary comments or observations on his work from anyone. I am sure his bosses noticed he wasn’t very popular and his work was very inconsistent and the journalism was shoddy at best – It was often cringe inducing it was so bad. He was quite often very judgmental of other columnists though. My guess is they are all having a chuckle at his expense now. Although, admittedly no one likes to see anyone lose their job. To me this was the “Peter Principal” at work – He should never have been hired in the first place…

Steve in Waterloo
Steve in Waterloo
May 6, 2013 2:52 pm

Dowbiggin got to be like Strachan – cynical and degrading to most everyone in the TSM.

I used to read every column, but over time his prose began to be from some Westerly pulpit in Calgary, looking down on all those out East who were trying, but somehow, not meeting his standard.

Hate to see anyone lose their job, but on the other hand, like to see someone else do it a little better, and with less of an agenda.

Victor the Crab
Victor the Crab
July 16, 2013 9:58 pm

Good! Bruce Dowbiggin has become an insufferable right wing douchebag who was always injecting his politics into his columns. And to think he was once a respected journalist. Couldn’t have happened to a nicer a-hole.

Cynic
Cynic
October 6, 2013 5:24 am

When was BD ever a respected journalist?