Toronto Sports Media Morning Drive Lineups

By TSM

Here’s your drive lineup for your listening enjoyment this am:

On 590 with Greg Brady and Jim Lang:

720 Scott Morrison
800 Dave Poulin
820 Jerry Howarth
840 Brad May

On TSN radio with Mike Richards

Claude Loiselle
Bruins Radio voice Dave Goucher
Leafs Breakfast Darren Dreger & Jim_Ralph

Roger
Roger
May 6, 2013 8:44 am

So is it still “too early” to write off the Jays?

May 6, 2013 12:53 pm

I realize you’re just trying to be a troll and you don’t want a genuine answer, but…

I asked Jonah Keri this on twitter, and he said ‘will be very hard, but not impossible’.

Sounds right to me.

I still think their best chance is to hit .500 by sometime in June, and hope for a 2nd half run.

That said, they’ve been shockingly bad to this point. It’s bizarre to see so many players with good track records suddenly all suck at the same time. I imagine they’ll get it together eventually, but if they don’t do it very soon it will be too big a hole to climb out of.

Nan Young Lee
Nan Young Lee
May 6, 2013 1:10 pm

1050’s Bryan Hayes has aligned himself with the Leafs. His nervous tweets on Saturday night spoke for millions. Perhaps influenced by Janet Malcolm, he has eschewed any pretence of journalistic objectivity.

Bryan Hayes ‏@HayesTSN 4 May
Get the freaking puck deep, Leafs. Infuriating watching them get cute at the blue lines.

Bryan Hayes ‏@HayesTSN 4 May
Haven’t felt these types of nerves in 9 years.

Nan Young Lee
Nan Young Lee
May 6, 2013 1:43 pm

Wow, the legendary Hollywood Reporter gives Toronto Sports Media a tip of the hat.

Roger
Roger
May 6, 2013 2:24 pm

Daniel,

I’m not being a troll. I know its an easy insult to use but in my case I’m really asking the cheerleaders at The Jays590 the question. Since the winter they’ve pimped this team constantly. They even flew that lispy pant load McCown down to Florida to cover spring training.

I actually dislike Rogers more than I dislike the Jays and I must admit, I’m enjoying seeing them waste millions on a rather bad team.

I ask you, does a troll respnd like that?

Many
Many
May 6, 2013 2:43 pm

Darrell
Darrell
May 6, 2013 2:50 pm

@ Roger – I thought Jeff Blair was the king pimp of the Blue Jays?

May 6, 2013 2:50 pm

“I’m not being a troll. I know its an easy insult to use but in my case I’m really asking the cheerleaders at The Jays590 the question”

Sure, but do you honestly expect anyone would say anything other than ‘this has been horrible, it’s going to be very hard to come back from’?

I don’t like Rogers either, and the promotion was over the top. From my perspective though, I just want a fun, good team to watch – and they actually invested in the club this offseason (even though it hasn’t worked yet, of course). If dealing with the constant pimping of the club is the price I have to pay for a financial investment from Rogers, then I’m OK with it.

Chef Mike in Burlington
May 6, 2013 4:08 pm

I heard a sports guy from CBC on Saturday morning say that they had done a mathematical analysis based solely on their record and the wins required from this point on, and according to him, there was only a 2.4% chance they would make the post season.

I’ve not seen their math, so I don’t know their methodology, but it seems to be very early in the year to toss in the towel, even for me, but 10 games back in May does seem like a big hill…bummer…I had hopes they would be better…

Darrell
Darrell
May 6, 2013 4:10 pm

The Jays current record is 11-21 after 32 games. That leaves them with 130 games left to go.

Just to get to 81 wins and finish with a .500 record – they have to go 70-60. That’s ten games over .500 just to finish the season at .500.

Chef Mike in Burlington
May 6, 2013 4:57 pm

… and I think we can all agree that 87-88-89 wins are more likely needed to wildcard…

May 6, 2013 5:09 pm

At this stage of the year, any substantial winning or losing streak will affect the playoff percentage thing wildly, so people don’t tend to take it too seriously until deeper in the year.

If the Jays can do something like win 9 or 11, they’re at 20 – 23, and all of the sudden the idea that they could be in the mix in September doesn’t seem so hard to imagine. Or even if they could play in the range of 20 – 14 (good, but not insanely good) that would put them at the same start the Tigers were at last year (30-34). Not good, but a lot closer to the playoff mix.

It’s still early enough that if they go on a run they can get back in it. But they’re really running out of time. I don’t think they can realistically expect to get back in this if they fall much further back.

Overall though, it’s been incredibly disappointing so far. You know the Jays have only won 2 in a row ONCE all year?? Only one series win! They’ve really been atrocious.

Chef Mike in Burlington
May 6, 2013 7:21 pm

@Daniel…its true, a good run taking 10 of 12 or something like that would close the gap significantly, but I don’t know who sees that happening as the roster/management is now. Most of you here know 10X more about baseball then me, and if you guys can see something different than what we’ve seen in the first 30 or so games, I’m all ears…

On a selfish note, one of my chef buddies works downtown and they are very busy on games nights, more than 25% over last year, even if they’re losing…not all bad I guess…

May 6, 2013 8:08 pm

@Chef Mike

The fans have definitely held up their end of the bargain! Been good crowds.

Ami Angelwings
May 7, 2013 12:50 am

The restaurants and bars are probably making a lot on alcohol too after Jays’ games the way they’ve been playing. xD

The Jays have looked so bad this year, that it’s really hard to see how they could win 30% of their games going forward, much less 60%, but that’s sorta the thing, the track record of the players say that they can play better. And if they do play as good as all the pundits expected, maybe they can get back into it, but right now, I totally understand why people are dispirited because it’s just impossible to see how the team, playing the way it is right now, can fire off any sort of winning streak. But they may not play like this the entire season. We’ll see what happens. As Daniel said, this early on, a run of bad play or good play can heavily skew the stats and predictions.