By Ami Angelwings
4pm hour – Bob McCown hosting
First segment: Replay of interview with Tim Leiweke, President and CEO of MLSE, from yesterday
- Leiweke talks about removing Bryan Colangelo as General Manager of the Toronto Raptors and keeping him as President
- Leiweke stresses that this is his decision, not pushed on him by the board, and that Colangelo will focus on business side things, like expanding basketball’s footprint in Canada or getting Toronto an NBA All-Star game, does not want GM to worry about these things
- Leiweke is looking for a GM who has a plan for the Raptors and to create a consistent style for the team
Second segment: Interview with Ian Leggat, former PGA player
- Bob and Leggat talk about Sergio Garcia’s “fried chicken” comment about Tiger Woods
- Bob complains about the PGA, R&A and USGA banning belly putters, Leggat thinks it’s about the integrity of the game
5pm hour – Bob McCown hosting, Stephen Brunt co-hosting
First segment: Interview with Martin Brodeur, New Jersey Devils goalie
- Brodeur talks about being on CBC as a hockey analyst tonight
- Brodeur talks about the Pittsburgh Penguins and Ottawa Senators series
- Brodeur talks about the idea proposed by Jon Paul Morosi to put a MLB team back into Montreal
Second segment: Interview with John Oreovicz, ESPN
- Oreovicz talks about the Indy 500 and the declining interest in open wheel racing
- Oreovicz suggests that increasing the speeds might boost interest and that modern technology will mitigate the safety concerns
- Oreovicz also suggests starting the season earlier
Third segment: Talk segment
- Bob and Brunt discuss the Blue Jays and J.P. Arencibia, suggest bringing up Thole to platoon and give him a shot to take the job from J.P.
6pm hour – Bob McCown hosting, Stephen Brunt co-hosting
First segment: Interview with Jon Paul Morosi, FOX Sports baseball reporter
- Morosi talks about how he thinks Montreal or Vancouver would make a better place for a baseball team than Oakland or some other current MLB cities
- Brunt thinks if a team is in Montreal, it might be Bell who buys it because they have a french sports network and it would give them content in two languages
Second segment: Live coverage of the Vancouver Canucks press conference where GM Mike Gillis announces the firing of Alain Vigneault as head coach
- Afterwards, Bob and Brunt discuss, think this is the wrong decision and Gillis is the one who should be fired because he’s the one who kept the team together instead of changing it and screwed up the Luongo trade situation
The interviews with Oreovicz and Morosi were quite in depth and really interesting because both had a lot of ideas about what they were talking about, and seemed to have a lot of knowledge on the subjects.
Bob is really upset about this ban on belly putters, more so than when it was first proposed, and we found out why today: he tried one recently and found it improved his putting.
Between “Jarry Park”, “Patrick Roy”, and “Alain Vigneault”, Bob had plenty of chances to do that pronunciation thing he does with some non-English names (like with “Jose Calderon” and “Centre Bell”), and he took them all today.
I don’t really have that much else to say about this show. The Brodeur segment wasn’t that interesting to me, and 2 segments were cancelled for the Gillis press conference, and another was a repeat from yesterday.
Photo available here