Toronto Sports Media Sports Radio Lineups

by Rob G

Here’s your drive home lineups

On Sportsnet 590 The FAN from 4-7pm, Prime Time Sports with Bob McCown. Damien Cox co-hosts from 5pm:

400 – Tim Micallef, Sportsnet 590 The Fan

Bruce Arthur and Dave Feschuk, Columnists

Today on Sportsline:

TBD

Another Steve
Another Steve
June 10, 2013 7:06 pm

Why on earth is Wilner hosting tonight? He’s obviously lost his voice, so you’d think someone would step up and point out how ridiculous it is to have someone host a radio show who can’t speak.

I remember in the winter when I heard Gord Stellick hosting while his voice was gone. I kept wondering why they couldn’t get someone to replace him for those nights.

It boggles the mind.

Alex
Alex
June 10, 2013 7:37 pm

640 – Jeff Hunt, Ottawa Red Blacks owner

6:00 – Jeff Hunt, Ottawa REDBLACKS President

one station didn’t get the memo

robg
robg
June 10, 2013 8:11 pm

Paste job on my part Alex. I get the lineup from TSN, and pasted what was sent, while I typed the FAN lineup on my own. My understanding is he is an owner of the team, however, I also see him referred to as president in other articles online.

daver
daver
June 10, 2013 8:39 pm

I think Alex is referring to the REDBLACKS vs Red Blacks.

All caps bro.

Jamally
Jamally
June 10, 2013 9:07 pm

Let me preface this by saying I love Tim and Sid. They are rarely apart on the air, but when they are it is very clear Sid is the far superior of the two.

Tim can’t carry the show and he needs Sid to be there or else the show quite frankly sucks. Sid will be the one with the bright future and sadly, Tim will be left behind when that time comes.

Tim just isn’t as entertaining or smooth when Sid is away, whereas when Tim is away, Sid absolutely nails it with the guests. Anyone agree?

Nan Young Lee
Nan Young Lee
June 10, 2013 10:04 pm

Sid talks faster, so he can keep the show moving along better, but there is a humanity Tim has that Sid lacks. You can hear it when Tim talks about his regrets about inflicting concussions when he played hockey. Or his worries about his kids growing up in a rough neighbourhood, as he expressed today in his chat with Bob. Too often Sid falls into being a machine of one liners, funny but with little resonance. Which is different from his tweets, where he displays true wit and is consistently the most entertaining of all the TO sports media.

I don’t think Tim will or should be left behind as I don’t know why they would split up, the sum being much greater than the parts. Sid might be more ambitious though and will only be satisfied in Brady’s chair, or going against Brady or Bob.

Nan Young Lee
Nan Young Lee
June 10, 2013 10:25 pm

I thought only the NHL had owners without money:

June 11, 2013 2:11 am

poll question: who has been the most disappointing acquisition (free agent or trade) in the last 10 years in Toronto sports?

Dickey has to be on that list, in my opinion.

Alex
Alex
June 11, 2013 5:32 am

Yeah, i meant the ALL CAPS for the wordmark, which he discussed w naylor.

I also prefer Tim to Sid. Sid’s schtick became so unbearable for me i stopped listening to the show.

Julian
Julian
June 11, 2013 11:22 am

It might be advancing years but I’m a lot more picky than I used to be about sports radio. FAR prefer Tim over Sid. It’s gotten to where if you told me it was Tim by himself I’d be more inclined to listen. Sid gets in Tim’s way, and Sid talks a big game about this and that, and then it’s nothing but softballs should that guest ever come on. Mark Buehrle’s interview with them was a great example of that.

It’s gotten to where I won’t listen to Brady and Lang when Brady’s not there. He’s the meal ticket, as if there was ever a doubt. I won’t listen to “The Rog” filling in for Blair, won’t listen to Sid solo, and though I listen to PTS far less than ever now that Naylor provides an alternative, I certainly won’t listen if he’s not hosting.

None of this is the fault of program directors though, you simply can’t have good depth in the marketplace with two stations, instead of one. There just aren’t the options there used to be. Guys like Micallef and Brady and Bryan Hayes even at 1050 are holding the hammer. I actually believe the stations need them more than they need the stations because the threat is there to go across the street and make life hell for the previous employer.

McCown must have gotten exactly what he wanted in his “last” deal because he certainly isn’t getting any younger or working any harder.

Julian
Julian
June 11, 2013 11:26 am

And I thought I was going crazy about Sid’s endless attempts at one-liners and his inability to let Micallef tell a story. Clearly it’s not just me. Sid’s not as strong a broadcaster and his NHL knowledge is a real struggle and sounds desperately like he’s faking it. That’s cool, not everyone’s as strong in each sport, but we listeners can tell when you’re faking it.

Curt
Curt
June 11, 2013 3:39 pm

Sid’s frat boy schtick has played. At first it was funny, but eventually, it’s become an annoyance. Not much substance there, I’m afraid. Plus, the fact that he’s admitted to voting for Rob Ford says to me that he’s also a bit of an idiot. I relate to Tim a lot more and prefer listening to him.

Curt
Curt
June 11, 2013 3:41 pm

@Mike in B. I’d have to say Brett Lawrie. I’m a long-time Jays fan, but I CANNOT cheer for this guy. He reminds me of the jock bully in high school that everyone hated.

Kamlesh
Kamlesh
June 11, 2013 3:57 pm

@MIB: I was surprised to hear Hayhurst today say Dickey was bad but not terrible. Since when is a 5.11 ERA not terrible? I thought he was being an apologist, but he spent the next few minutes ripping Morrow for being soft. The thing with Dickey is that the personal history and personality maybe also built up expectations to make his fall seem greater. (Travis D’arnaud is hitting .250 with 1 HR at AAA, but does have a .429 OBP.)

Kristian Jack has moved to TSN from The Score. Now that TSN has BPL games this season it will be interesting to see their pre-game and half-time shows. I never liked Gerry Dobson. Maybe TSN can build a soccer panel as good as their hockey one.

Curt
Curt
June 11, 2013 4:18 pm

Wow. I expected KJ to come to Sportsnet – their loss. He’s one of the best analysts around. What I was hoping for was for Gerry Dobson (who’s always been terrible) to be replaced with James Sharman and KJ (sorry, I like Craig Forrest, but he’s not as good). Well, that’s a win for TSN.

(Another) Andrew
(Another) Andrew
June 11, 2013 6:18 pm

Agreed about Kristian Jack. He’s been good the two times I’ve seen him on TSN’s coverage of the U21. Maybe after letting Rogers overtake them in soccer coverage they’re starting to make an effort again at TSN.

Sleepy I
Sleepy I
June 11, 2013 6:58 pm

Re: the Tim and Sid discussion, while I can agree with those who posted above that Sid can be annoying and over the top, he can also bring some credible discussion and good arguments to the table. When Tim isn’t around, he does step his game up on the show and tends to be more serious, while still keeping it funny when it needs to be.

And while I think overall Tim does a good job, has a lot of knowledge and, as someone above said, has a “humanity” that Sid may not, there are times when I find him just as or more annoying than Sid. He seems to have these catchphrases, as I call them, that he uses kinda repeatedly. As an example from the show today, he repeatedly called the White Sox the Pale Hose over and over and over again, which got old real fast. I know that it’s a nickname for the team, but that many times is excessive. Add to that anything he says about “jam-packed show”, “bingo has been called” and “juicy.”

Bobby G
Bobby G
June 11, 2013 9:34 pm

I don’t think any media organization is obliged to use the all-caps REDBLACKS. It’s a logo, not an acronym. Redblacks is proper spelling, proper English and the only think independents journalists and organizations are obliged to follow. Anyone using REDBLACKS is strictly pandering to the CFL and the Ottawa Redblacks.

June 12, 2013 2:12 am

Count me in the camp who thinks both a) the sum of Tim&Sid is way greater than the parts, and b) Tim is doing way more of the heavy lifting than Sid #.

Two things I like about their show though. First it is well produced. They always have clips and sound bytes ready, and they usually move seamlessly between them.

Second, I can reliably count on them to provide strong opinions backed by arguments. The back and forth is good, especially when you compare it to the old-man-bitching-brigade on PTS.

June 12, 2013 2:15 am

p.s. – add me also to the camp who thinks that this site should get rid of some of the line-ups posts. the amount of discussion here is small and there’s no need to disrupt the continuity.

maybe get rid of the morning line-ups?

Roger
Roger
June 13, 2013 9:54 am

Jack is awesome. Good on TSN getting him. He’s way better than anyone at Sportsnet.