Changes To Fan 590 Morning Show

By TSM

The Fan 590 is facing a shuffle in their morning lineup as update guy/cohost and fill in host Mike Farwell is returing to a Rogers station in Waterloo.

I’m told that this happened today and that the station will start a search for a replacement immediately.

With the apparent numbers the fan has had of late, it’s probably a good thing as it gives Don Kollins something to do.

Best of luck to Mike in his gig

July 26, 2013 4:14 pm

Mike was fine, but I don’t think he was integral to the show. Neither is Jim Lang to be frank.

It really is the Greg Brady show.

Mike C
Mike C
July 26, 2013 5:39 pm

Todd Shapiro is looking for work after Corus released him from Dean Blundell Show on The Edge. He and Brady and Lang would be awesome together. Maybe have him and Brady co host and have Lang use anchoring background to fill Farwell role?

Neal
Neal
July 26, 2013 10:13 pm

That’s too bad. I liked hearing Mike in the mornings as part of that team. Also, on another note, I was listening here and there to TSN 1050’s drive home show. Mitch Melnick from TSN690 was filling in for Naylor (show was simulcast with Steve Simmons co-hosting). He was terrific. If TSN1050 wants to compete head to head with PTS (although I personally love PTS and am a loyal listener), then why not bring Melnick in full-time? What would it take for him to leave Montreal and come to Toronto?

Dave in Bolton
Dave in Bolton
July 27, 2013 11:20 am

Agree with Nelson Melnick would be stiff competion to McCown. I’m sure Nailor wouden’t mind going back to being just a TV personality and do occasional radio guest hosts gigs

Knott Knelson
Knott Knelson
July 27, 2013 12:34 pm

Dave, you’re sure Naylor wouldn’t mind going back to just being a television personality and occasional radio guest host gigs? And you know this how? It’s a stupid comment. Naylor is making some inroads, working hard at it, but you’re sure he’d forget about the last year because, in your opinion, Melnick is better? I personally thought Melnick sounded very good, but he also sounded very Montreal. How would he handle being more Toronto-centric? He’s a fine broadcaster and my guess is he’d do very well, but it’s no guarantee. I’d also guess Melnick wouldn’t be interested in coming to Toronto. Montreal is his home, and they’re lucky to have him.

Raptors Devotee
July 27, 2013 5:31 pm

For an ex-Montrealer, having spent half my life there, and with Mitch being about 5 years older than me, I thoroughly enjoyed the “sounding Montreal” that you alluded to Knott, but I can see how Torontonians with only a passing knowledge and interest in Montreal sports goings on would lose some interest, even with as good a broadcaster as I think is out there, period, in Melnick.

With the ease of clicking on TSN 690 from my pc, I can catch Melnick doing his Montreal thing at my leisure, plus as you alluded to, all indications are he has no interest in heading down the 401 other than on a guest-host basis.

Naylor is a huge step up from Cybulski, who was unlistenable, and I find myself listening more and more to TSN 1050 drive show, where there is almost no kibbutzing and the time is filled with thoughtful, intelligent sports talk, and not the usual FAN 590 FOB’s talking over each other.

McCown/Brunt will always get my attention, but where in the past I had no local alternatives, I have two good ones on TSN radio, and will use them both.

The real winners are the sports fans, who like a la carte dining, can pick and choose what and when they want to listen to via podcasts as well.

Darrell
Darrell
July 29, 2013 4:22 pm

Idiot Kollins, will probably rehire Andrew Krystal. LOL! Don’t trust that guy to take my garbage to the curb, if I gave it to him. Don Kollins has made a mess of a station I used to love listening to faithfully + regularly.

Outside of Tim + Sid + Jeff Sammut – there isn’t a whole lot worth listening to at the FAN and that’s a shame.

steve
steve
August 13, 2013 1:45 pm

Looks like Andrew Walker from Fan960 in Calgary is heading east. Young guy but grew a lot here. Very well rounded knowledge of sports, great baseball and golf knowledge and the requisite hockey.

Leaves a void here as the rest of idiots here only know hockey

Tim
Tim
August 15, 2013 10:20 am

Couldn’t disagree more with the above – I’m a very regular listener to Brady/Lang via podcast format (I live in the states). I actually prefer them over Tim & Sid, although both are great.

Neal
Neal
August 24, 2013 12:12 am

Andrew Walker was introduced today (Friday morning) as the replacement for Mike Farwell. I am going to tune in via the web to Country 106.7 (Kitchener-Waterloo station) to see how Mike does at his new morning gig.

alex
alex
September 11, 2013 7:48 pm

to me Greg Brady is no different than his predecessor, Don Landry. Arrogant, outspoken and hogs air time. To me a show called Brady and Lang should have been more even. Mike Farwell sounded like Brady’s parrot too often. I personally liked Lang as he seemed more of a regular guy. Sad to see him bumped. He also had his own opinions and wasn’t Brady’s parrot.

brian
brian
September 21, 2013 9:01 am

The Brady and Lang show was painful to listen to. Personally ,I’m glad Lang and Farewell are gone . Greg Brady is full of himself , enough about your time in Michigan, we DONT CARE ! As for Tim an Sid……. all I can say is get rid of them too !!!!!!!!

Richard
Richard
October 16, 2013 1:21 pm

GET RID OF TIM AND SID! Worst radio ever.

gary
gary
May 22, 2014 11:49 am

Dean Blundel was on the show this morning and as usual did an incredable job , very knowledgeable and was a lot of fun to listen too. They should have him on 590 as the replacement ( he’s a very popular radio voice!) I miss him on the edge ” he was truly the best”! I never listen to the edge morning show anymore now that he is no longer there