PTS, Summer Swoon or Trend?

PTS, Summer Swoon or Trend?

By TSM

Happy Friday all. It’s been a relatively quiet summer and I’ve been enjoying the weather. More tweeting of news than blogs. That will change when the weather does!

So, I don’t have the final books for the last couple of months yet, however I am told from multiple sources that God himself is taking it on the chin right now. Mccown’s PTS has dipped into the human realm of the 7’s on the ratings books. Granted, he hasn’t been on the air all that much, but PTS is usually in the 10-12 range, more on the 12 side of late. A dip into the 7’s has probably woken management up at Rogers enough for the first time to take note.

Is this the dog days of summer? (thanks to AA, Gibby and the boys) or the reflection that perhaps having Bob’s buddies (FOB) as his guests is starting to wear thin on the audience. Perhaps talking to the lads from Tim and Sid about nothing really relevant while big news actually is going on is forcing fans to tune out.

Nothing really to talk about until the fall book comes out. I think McCown will probably bounce back to his 12 number. If he doesn’t it will be a stunning development.

Not sports related but I am hearing that Anne Mroczkowski’s contract isn’t going to be picked up by Global and that perhaps her summer vacation will be more permanent than originally planned. She is a definite presence in TO news and she will be missed.

The fact that Dan Dunleavy took the Sabres gig tells me that the writing is on the wall at MLSE for a housecleaning of sorts in the media side once the Leafs season ends. IF he was sure that the gig was his long time he wouldn’t have jumped. Is the TFC gig a going away present or a punishment.

I am, by the way waiting for our friends over at downgoesbrown to post the photos that new MLSE president is planning on putting up in the ACC as opposed to the ones from the glory days. “Put the Grabovsky photo right here boys!”

The Fan morning boys have a new partner in the third seat, nothing better than an attempt to keep someone from moving west. Could this be the start of a larger change to the morning show? Hmmmmmmmm

Who is going to replace DDL on Leaf radio games when Bowen is on tv? My money is on the voice of the Marlies, Jon Abbott getting promoted for the season. However, I did wonder if they would follow the Blue Jays Buck Martinez model and throw Gord Stellick a bone for the season. Just kidding.

Since we last wrote, Dave The Blanket Perkins decided to stop typing. No one covered the ponies like Dave it. Actually, no one else covered the ponies. Just kidding. A very strong career for the blanket. I really wish he were a younger man today and was on sports radio. A guy with knowledge and an opinion. A rarity in media today.

Happy weekend.

COMMENTS

WORDPRESS: 15
  • comment-avatar

Does the PTS decline come with a commensurate rise for Naylor, or just a drop for 590?

• comment-avatar

Outside of Tim + Sid – the FAN’s programming during the weekdays are a snoozefest. Very blah + you pretty much know the routine of the show before it happens.

Tim + Sid are the best thing on Toronto sports radio today! 🙂

• comment-avatar

The only surprise in the ratings dip is that it has taken this long for people to start tuning out. Years ago, Bob and PTS was great radio with good guests. Now, it’s unlistenable. And Sam and Ted aren’t any better either. I listened to a part of their podcast last night and I just shook my head. Inane.

But regarding Bob, he stopped caring a long time ago and he treats his audience with nothing but contempt. I don’t mind the grumpy act (he’s always done that) but when he does things like ignore breaking stories while rambling on about his wine or his house or his big ass tv. Well, I just don’t care. His guest hosts are equally terrible and I no longer listen to PTS. Occasionally, I might listen to a portion of the podcast if there is a guest of interest on, but that doesn’t happen very often either. Life is too short for it to be wasted listening to this nonsense – especially when there are better alternatives. Like silence.

Dave in Bolton8 years ago

Will be curious to see TSNR numbers i been enjoying the station alot recently they deff improved quiet a bit

Steve in Waterloo8 years ago

Just to echo Curt in case someone from the Fan590 is reading – Life is too short to listen to Bob go on about stuff that no one really cares about.”

I am quick on the dial these days. I start with MCowan, and if there is ANY reference to that shit, I am gone…

• comment-avatar

The dip in the numbers is just the summer being summer. McCown on holiday allowed the dial to be turned here and there. I am guilty as charged a few weeks back – TSN1050 simulcast Mitch Melnick from TSN 690 with Simmons in the Toronto studio (I presume) and it was very good; an alternative for PTS for sure. But for the most part, I stayed with PTS in light of the non-hockey news that was occurring (TSN 1050 is hockey heavy) and I happen to like Friedman. Dunleavy to the Sabres? Huge loss for MLSE.

• comment-avatar

…By the way YYZ Sports Media…any word on the future of Speed in light of the change to Fox Sports 1? What is happening on Aug. 17?

• comment-avatar

Melnick was in toronto and the show was simulcast back to montreal.

They kept mentioning how he was meeting some of his co-hosts for the first time in person.

Dave in Bolton8 years ago

Here’s a thought since we know Don Collins is fake name for the executive producer of the fan any chance its actually McCown running 590

Mullah_Kintyre8 years ago

Canada will keep getting the same Speed TV channel as we have been getting for several years. An article on the channel’s website confirmed this a few days ago by mentioning the Speed brand will continue in Canada, as did Bell Canada last month in a response they gave to someone who asked about the situation. And you can now see the schedule in zap2it.com TV listings for Speed in Canada after August 17. The only noticeable change so far appears to be the discontinuation of Wind Tunnel and Speed Center. The actual racing events — Grand-Am, MotoGP, etc. — will continue to be seen in Canada on Speed, even if they are shown on Fox Sports 1 and 2 in the U.S.of A., and even if there is no longer a Speed channel there. It is a very unusual situation for Canada to keep getting a channel from an American-based company (Fox) that may not be providing a channel with that name in their own country, although apparently there will also still be a fox-owned Speed channel in other countries such as Australia.

Has there been any info or even educated guesses as to what will happen with the three MLSE TV channels when their existing contracts expire? Do they continue without any live games of the MLSE-owned teams? Would there be enough content for them that won’t be on the TSN or Sportsnet channels? Would they continue as they are, go away, or be merged into one or two MLSE Real Sports channels (maybe one Canada, one Ontario)?

mike (in boston)8 years ago

since the ratings are based on the listening habits of a handful of people i’m inclined to discount any given number up or down. long term trends are more telling.

that said, anyone with a functional ear can hear the plague that has descended on PTS. It’s hard to just flip the switch, and Bob has been in senior citizen mode for a couple of years now. I don’t see him being good again, though his producers book good guests, and they still have Brunt, so PTS will still have its moments.

the last time something was this obviously bad was Cybulski. The time before that was Krystal. In both instances it took far too long for changes to be made, but changes were eventually made.

PTS will carry the Fan until Bob retires … no doubt in my mind he will continue to dominate ratings. But, if i’m Don Kollins i’m looking ahead to what happens when Bob’s huge installed base is left with the FOB crew of intellectual lightweights.

Dave in Bolton8 years ago

On Tim and Sid Scott Moore head of SN jsaid that their working on a 8th SN when McCown was being pissy on how many SN their are and being preempted from the 7 SN’s

• comment-avatar

After reading this, three words come to mind……………….small sample size

I feel like whenever I use that phrase I should probably be required to pay some type of royalty to Bruce Arthur

• comment-avatar

The last ten minutes of ‘Tim and Sid’ Friday, featured Bob McGown. Also, Scott Moore stopped by. Those ten minutes were the WORST radio/TV I have ever seen/heard. Bob McGown has got to be the KING of pompous asses!
    Here’s a novel idea: Let’s promote the shit out of PrimeTime Sports on the Blue Jays telecast.
    Yeah, those promos will only work if the host is actually there! Honest to God! He’s never there!