Weekend Potpourri

by Alex

Since there was no Friday Night post, thought I’d throw out some ideas that might spurn some discussion

* ESPN/Frontline schism – If you missed it, ESPN and Frontline were going to co-produce a documentary on NFL concussions. But, ESPN pulled out. And all signs point to the NFL “suggesting” that maybe ESPN shouldn’t be part of it. This brings the whole notion of how critical a rights holder can be with a league partner.

* Jay and Dan on FS1. Can you folks up North see Fox Sports Live? If so, any thoughts on Jay and Dan’s first week on the job.

COMMENTS

WORDPRESS: 11
  • comment-avatar
  • comment-avatar
  • comment-avatar
    Wefewee 7 years ago

I used to depend on you for informing me about the comings and goings of the various Media personalities. I know that the Summer is slow but, it took a radio interview last week for me to find out that Dan Dunleavy had departed the Leaf’s Radio Broadcast for Buffalo.
    So sorry to be critical of the site as I know that the authors are very busy.
    But, things have been disappointing here lately.

• comment-avatar

It appears TSM posted twice about it 3 weeks ago.

• comment-avatar
    The Londoner 7 years ago

I found Blue Jays talk after the two Astro losses to be entertaining. I like a nice train wreck. It is made entertaining by the perpetually pro-Jays host Mike Wilner and how he bends over backwards to defend the organization.

• comment-avatar
    Nan Young Lee 7 years ago

Two tweets from Damien Cox:

Damien Cox ‏@DamoSpin 25 Aug
    Interesting. AA San Antonio Missions 60-80 under John Gibbons last year. This year Missions 76-54 under Rich Dauer, 1st place in 2nd half.

Damien Cox ‏@DamoSpin 25 Aug
    The notion that John Gibbons deserves a second chance makes some sense. Except this already IS his second shot.

• comment-avatar
    Mike V 7 years ago

Leave it to Cox to take trolling on Twitter to new hights (lows?). Can we make that his full-time job atleast so I don’t have to read or hear him anywhere else.

• comment-avatar
    Mike V 7 years ago

Early ratings for Fox Sports Live show that Jay and Dan have a LOOOONG climb ahead of them.

• comment-avatar
    mike (in boston) 7 years ago

Thanks for the links Nan and Mike V. TSN Drive had a sports media analyst on in the last week who was saying that Fox may not see any significant results for 3-5 years.

That’s just the way ratings work. We’ve seen it on the radio side too … inertia is just so powerful with the dial/remote.

• comment-avatar
    Mike V 7 years ago

The 3-5 year timeline to be significant might be completely valid, but at first blush it seems pretty long to me. For comparison I looked up the history for Fox News and – regardless of what you think of the politics – it took them just six years to get to #1 past CNN and they were in a much worse position starting off (something like 20 million homes compared to 70-80 that FS1 is in). Also, with all the hoopla of the launch with Jay and Dan I suspect the heads of the network are looking for returns sooner than 2016.

• comment-avatar