Changes At Sportsnet Fan 590

By TSM

Well, as we suggested a while back things were bound to change at the fan 590.

This morning Jim Lang was let go by the station as the search for a new co-host for Greg Brady begins.

Ill have more later.

However, I’ll say that I’m a Jim Lang fan. Is he the most riveting, shock jock host the city has ever had? No. However, he knows his stuff, especially football. More importantly he’s good people. The times I’ve reached out to him he’s been personable and professional. That says a lot to me.

I hope the finds work soon

Seth Allen
Seth Allen
September 9, 2013 11:32 am

On Lang’s twitter acct it says he’s the football writer for Sportsnet.ca so it looks like they’re keeping him around in a smaller role.

alex
alex
September 9, 2013 11:35 am

If theres an internal move, id add hayhurst as co host for now.

Brent
Brent
September 9, 2013 11:58 am

He was one of the nicer guys there. He took a tonne of ribbing and took it in stride. Classy and never a douche unlike Brady.

Why the move though? Are ratings not doing so hot?

Petti
Petti
September 9, 2013 12:09 pm

He was the half of the morning show duo I actually liked, especially for his football analysis. Brady is knowledgeable, but just find him annoying and always trying to be a smart ass when he really isn’t. Depending on who is chosen as co-host, I may be permanently done with the FAN morning show, especially if its a hockey puck. Too many better options on satellite these days.

Dave in Bolton
Dave in Bolton
September 9, 2013 12:12 pm

What about Jim Ralph taking the co-host spot

Wefewee
Wefewee
September 9, 2013 12:15 pm

Brent & Petti both nailed it for me – it’s a bloody shame!

September 9, 2013 12:33 pm

I’ve probably listened to the FAN’s morning show for a total of 45 minutes in the last two years. My impression is that there was one whiny guy who yelled a lot, and asked a lot of rhetorical questions. And then there was another guy who tried to answer those rhetorical questions. Not the most compelling radio …

favre33
favre33
September 9, 2013 12:35 pm

That sucks. I hadn’t listened to the morning show too much in the last year, but I always enjoyed Jim Lang and the best thing about him is, he know his sports. That seems to no long matter in sports media. If they replace him with some ‘shock jock’ who doesn’t know anything about sports, I am going to be pissed. Such a shame, he seems like a great guy, I hope he lands somewhere else soon.

September 9, 2013 12:36 pm

If theres an internal move, id add hayhurst as co host for now

why would anyone want to listen to Hayhurst talk Bills, Leafs, Raptors? I reckon they will bring in one of the weekend scrubs. Get ready for the extended summer of The Rog!

Steve Clark
September 9, 2013 12:43 pm

Twitter handle still has Jim Lang listed as a football writer for sportsnet.ca, so it looks like he will be staying with the company for now.

Hope he moves to the TV side covering football. It is clearly his passion and he is good at it.

I thought he was made to look bad on occasion when dueling with Brady.

September 9, 2013 12:43 pm

September 9, 2013 12:45 pm

AlexIf theres an internal move, id add hayhurst as co host for now.

Why would anyone tune in to hear Hayhurst talk Leafs, Raptors, Bills? I reckon they will bring in one of the weekend scrubs for the time being. Get ready for the extended summer of the The Rog!

Chris
Chris
September 9, 2013 1:18 pm

There has to be more to this story. You don’t just gas one half of your morning show when its doing well, ratings wise, unless that’s changed. If it has changed, then I’d understand ditching both of them. I wouldn’t even worry about Brady walking across the street. He’d fail as miserably at TSN as he did when he worked for 640 in afternoon drive.

Poker Guy
Poker Guy
September 9, 2013 1:25 pm

I don’t think by TSN adding Lang, it would stenghten anything.

Downtown Mike
Downtown Mike
September 9, 2013 1:34 pm

This is a dumb move by Don Kollins and the management over at Sportsnet 590 The Fan. Clubber had great football and hockey knowledge. So they let him go yet keep a guy like Greg Brady who only knows hockey and tells dumb stories about Jim Leyland and 1980s bands that nobody gives a crap about.

Good call.

I would agree if he does in fact have a non compete clause I could see Jim Lang joining Mike Richards In The Morning over on TSN 1050 as a contributer.

Anyone see Greg Sansone taking over from Jim Lang know that he is a part of the Rogers family???

Kamlesh
Kamlesh
September 9, 2013 1:35 pm

Is 590 planning on moving Tim and Sid to mornings?

Jim Lang could do Leafs postgame with Jeff O’Neill on 1050. I prefer him to Jim Tatti. I would also prefer him to Dave Hodge on TSN Drive.

September 9, 2013 1:52 pm

I think it makes sense.

That morning show really lives and dies with Brady. Lang did pretty much the same thing as Farwell – act as a foil for Brady to bounce stuff off of (only difference being that Lang was billed as cohost).

I’m sure he’s a great guy, but I don’t think he really brought all that much to the show.

September 9, 2013 1:53 pm

“I wonder if TSN scoops him up as soon as any non-compete clause expires. TSN has been going with younger hosts, and this might be a way to strengthen that core.”

Pretty sure Lang is around 50 or so..

Steve in Waterloo
Steve in Waterloo
September 9, 2013 2:27 pm

I don’t know about ratings, but I simply found/find the Fan 590 morning show uninteresting.

IF I happened to stumble on when it was a subject of interest, I MIGHT stay on 590 until the subject changed, but I was/am not a morning listener of their show.

I wish Lang well, and I am a bit encouraged that “change” will bring something more interesting. Conversely, I could regret being encouraged if it ends up with a shock jock like what’s his name from a couple of years ago (sorry, can’t remember!).

Keeping my head down today, Lang is the third person who I know of being handed their walking papers this day so far.

alex
alex
September 9, 2013 2:41 pm

The only time i listened to the morning show was when colinmurray was on friday mornings.

Now he has a mid morning show on talksport that overlaps with bradys show (5-8 ET).

Brent
Brent
September 9, 2013 2:59 pm

Is Andrew Krystal “he-who-shall-not-be-named” or something? Dude sucked, but he was smart. The problem was that he tried too hard to be shocking and didn’t know jack about sports so, clearly, he was a bad choice.

Though Brady is like a shot of urine in my morning coffee and I’ve found his attitude grating, I’ve still listened the odd time. However, lately I’ve been turning the dial. Maybe there are a lot more like me?

590 has a tonne of commercials and for LONG stretches of time, rendering listening to Primetime futile at times and in truth my view of that has spilled over into other shows.

September 9, 2013 4:34 pm

in other news, Griffin has a very nice piece of journalism on the Ricky Romero saga:

chris
chris
September 9, 2013 4:59 pm

for the love of god i hope they don’t bring in jeff samett to replace lang

Steve
Steve
September 9, 2013 5:08 pm

I wonder if Greg Brady will be able to sleep tonight? There’s only one reason why Lang is gone and he’s it.

Chef Mike in Burlington
September 9, 2013 9:38 pm

I listened maybe 10 times in the past 2 years, found them too annoying, not enough content, Mike and Mike were always a better option on TuneIn Radio

September 9, 2013 10:17 pm

I’m a bit surprsied at this news, mainly because the ratings for that show have apparently been very good……………..but I’m not shocked because, as Daniel has said many times, Brady is the dominant figure on the show so the co-host is a secondary consideration……………it’s hard to say whether this is a good or bad move until we see what happens next

The timing of this move seems strange…………….summer vacations are over and this is the start of the most important ratings period of the year………….unless they have a replacement lined up and ready I don’t know why this was done now

When you add in the departure of Farwell to Kitchener it is a pretty big change to a show that was quite successful

Sid
Sid
September 17, 2013 9:15 am

They got rid of the wrong guy! Brady is so annoying. Lang knew his stuff and didn’t have to act like a 16 yr old to get his points across. I’ve been a listener of the Fan morning show since the mid 90s with Derenger and Marsden … I stopped listening when they hired Andrew Krystal, but came back. Looks like I’m going to be listening elsewhere again. I hope Lang lands on his feet somewhere soon.

Brian
Brian
September 21, 2013 9:59 am

2 down 1 to go. Brady is next ! FYI Greg we dont care about your time in Michigan, I wish you didnt come back, you’re arrogant and you’re attempt at comedy is pathetic. As for Tim and Sid in the morning….please put them on at 12am when most are asleep…. they anoy the piss out of me as well….

Darrin
Darrin
October 2, 2013 10:15 am

What I hate about Brady is that he asks these long winded questions to the show’s guest during which he provides probable answers to…leaving the guest with the only answer of “yes…what you said”.
Brady…ask a simple question and let your guest answer…
No one likes a know-it-all

Steve
Steve
October 4, 2013 12:04 am

Brady is a good host, but has trouble being the front guy. He speaks before he is done thinking and that often brings him back to the same areas (Plymouth Whalers, British stuff, Red Wings).

Brady would do best in the Landry – Marsden setup with a compelling co-host for him to manage, similar to his days with Bill Waters.

If they could ever talk Brunt or John Shannon into the 2nd chair, it would be a very strong team. Ken Reid was a good host on Prime Time, but can’t see them pair those two.