Help Me Help You

By TSM

As you all know I am based in Seattle and therefore keeping this website up and current means a ton of time online. The newspapers in Toronto, at least 3 of them have decided to erect paywalls. This wouldn’t be a big deal if you lived in Toronto and got it cheap along with your print subscription. Being way away makes it a challenge. So, I asked the papers for a break and only one responded and they didn’t say yes.

So, I am asking for donations to pay for a yearly subscription to the big three. It’s topped up for processing fees. No one pays unless I get the full amount if I exceed the target the surplus goes to the Children’s Wish Foundation. I will also make a donation to the Children’s Wish Foundation in the name of the site if I hit the goal. Lastly I’m donating starbucks (hey it’s seattle) gift packs of equal value to those who donate at a certain level.

Again, all to help keeping the lights on at this very website.

Donate here

J Robinson
J Robinson
September 12, 2013 10:34 am

Why not just go “private browsing”, or “in-private” depending on your browser? Then most of the paywalls don’t work anymore.

Justorbs
Justorbs
September 12, 2013 1:37 pm

Well, you can bypass the paywalls simply by going into incognito mode on google chrome.

Bobcanuck
Bobcanuck
September 12, 2013 3:19 pm

TSM,

Assuming you reach your targeted donations level, what can visitors expect from this site going forward? Status quo? Minor or significant changes?

Thanks

Chris
Chris
September 12, 2013 4:01 pm

Or enabling private browsing on Firefox. Anybody who buys an online sub for a newspaper is a fool.

Rob
Rob
September 12, 2013 9:13 pm

Clear your history and empty your cache in Internet Options and you can have all the content you like from the Sun, Globe and Star…not exactly on the up and up, but its a loophole. As soon as they close it, I won’t be reading the Steve Simmons and Damien Coxes of the world. …..(Pay?…. for that?…. Really? I don’t pay to listen to them on the radio, nor would I …ever)

September 13, 2013 10:23 am

No, I am working on a re-design and getting more writers again!

great news!

maybe consider having a “reader feedback” post in the coming weeks. i have seen lots of good suggestions here from readers over the last couple of years, and instituting some of it might help with the fundraising effort.

The Meatriarchy
September 19, 2013 3:19 pm

VPN + Fake Name Generator. and you’re set.