Toronto Sports Media Morning Drive Lineups

By TSM

Here’s your drive lineup for your listening enjoyment this am:

On 590 with Greg Brady and Andrew Walker:

640: Arash Madani
740: Jason LaCanfora
820: Jon Morosi
840: The Turrible Ten Football picks!

On TSN radio with Mike Richards

5:45: Stats Pack – Kevin Gibson/Scott Cullen

7:15am: Pierre McGuire – NHL on NBC/TSN Hockey Analyst

7:30: Sexy Picks of Gold

7:45: Leafs Breakfast w/Darren Dreger (Tie Line)

8:00: Bastl’s Bytes

8:15: Alex Marvez – Fox Sports One NFL Reporter
8:32 am – RISKY BUSINESS W/ Chris Schultz – TSN Football Analyst

8:45 am – Dan Shulman – ESPN Baseball TV Voice

Darrell
Darrell
September 13, 2013 9:53 am

Jeff Blair has Andrew Krystal on the radio today at 11:30 AM? Seriously!?! How in the world is the guy categorize as a sports “expert” to listen to and how is he entertaining radio? Don Kollins is the biggest douche. Thankfully I have a doctors appointment during that hour.

September 13, 2013 10:19 am

when he was dumped from the FAN the company line was that he was being reassigned to “special projects” with Kollins. Maybe he has been training to join the morning show.

Darrell
Darrell
September 13, 2013 3:01 pm

I’ve listened to the FAN since day 1. I’ve lived through a lot of questionable moves at the FAN over the past 21 years. They are on “real thin ice” with me.
Bringing Andrew Krystal back – I am so gone from that station.

Dave in Bolton
Dave in Bolton
September 13, 2013 3:28 pm

Wasn’t Kristal reasigned to CITY? Kollins needs to go his bad desitions are bring down the Fan

Darrell
Darrell
September 13, 2013 3:31 pm

As far as I heard Mr. “Let’s say you” Andrew Krystal was back at City TV. LOL Dave – I agree completely with you about Kollins.

I personally hate the CBS Overnight programming and constant NFL and college football chatter for “Toronto” radio.

Dave in Bolton
Dave in Bolton
September 13, 2013 3:37 pm

Its easy do what I have been doing switch to TSN. Their radio lineup has improved and their guests are far better then the joke 590. Sportsnet as a network is a joke and 590 is no different. TSN nothing but professional. just look at how 1050 treats the jays even though its Rogers owned their treated like every other sports team fairly unlike Rogers who craps on the CFL just because its a Bell property. TSN 1050 will eventually pass Crapnet 590 .

Greg
Greg
September 13, 2013 4:04 pm

Hey, where are the turrible ten picks from this morning posted? I wanted to remind myself of my boy Fabro’s picks…
Thanks.

Poker Guy
Poker Guy
September 13, 2013 5:51 pm

Did you guys hear Blair say “assholes” during his segment with Krystal?

daver
daver
September 13, 2013 6:02 pm

Really Dave in Bolton?

You’re comparing MLB to the CFL? That’s laughable.

primer
primer
September 13, 2013 6:28 pm

Agree 100% with Darrell. I’ve been a FAN 590 listener since Day one and the CBS overnight programming is absolutely awful. I’d rather they replay shows from the day. Another bonehead move from Mr. Kollins in a long list: Hiring Krystal for the morning show/moving PTS to 3pm to 6pm before coming to his senses/playing Bills exhibition games on the station/Joey Vendetta?? Bring back Nelson Millman!

Julian
Julian
September 13, 2013 6:39 pm

I think we’ve been down this road so many times before. The Fan pretty much ignores the CFL. That’s probably accurate. Their ratings are at an all-time high for the key demographics they seek, if you’re to believe Sportsnet’s releases about them, and if they were lies, I think it’s safe to say TSN would challenge them. If I worked at a radio station and my ratings were high not talking about the CFL, I wouldn’t change that.

Tim, Sid, Brady, all key hires in making the station sound younger, feel younger, and attract more advertising dollars in that direction. Don Landry, Mike Hogan, Norm Rumack, Roger Lajoy (?), Jack Armstrong, Gord Stellick, all dudes pushing 50 or well over and none of them were putting up ratings nor making the station sound younger. Thus, some you don’t hear and some you hear a lot less.

TSN would snap up Brady & Tim/Sid in a heartbeat to add to their “stellar lineup” because it helps them, and would hurt the competition. Their biggest mistake outside of hiring Mike Richards to a huge morning show contract is that they could have had those three personalities and then what does 590 do when they realize Andrew Crystal isn’t working out at all like they planned?

Anyway, not everything Don Kollins has done has been fantastic, but you guys who knock him all know his name and you write about his shows, and quote his hosts, and rip the guests. At the end of the day, you’re listening. All day long, some of you are. And people that obviously like the shows and hosts are doing the same.

Now, if you’re to suggest Sportsnet Connected overdoes it with Blue Jays and undersells CFL, sure, I’d buy that. But remember TSN always leads with CFL, and I highly doubt any Eskimos-Bombers game is a bigger story than a Yankees/Blue Jays game, unless it’s the playoffs. TSN led with their Friday night football and a couple NHL reports, then went to Davis Cup news, so when it’s not their property, they do the same.

As for radio, it’s make or break for TSN. They got what they wanted in getting some Leafs games on the air, and the Blue Jays aren’t in the playoffs and they’d be thrilled about that at TSN and Rogers would be monumentally disappointed. If they don’t have a good fall and get close to 590, they never will as long 590 keeps their talent. I mean, TSN Radio is almost 3 years old and I can’t think of one person they’ve stolen away from 590 that hadn’t been fired in the first place.

Again, I hear the same things you hear. Brady needed a new partner and U thought Lang was getting worse and worse and louder and louder and maybe this Walker guy is the right one, maybe he isn’t. He may not even be in that slot that long. Blair needs to sound happier and more awake sometimes. The Hockey Central guys interrupt too much. Sid tries too hard to be funny and McCown barely watches sports, so I’d love to see improvements there, but there’s no perfect sports radio station invented yet. I don’t post often as my work has changed and my listening habits aren’t the same, but I’m just glad we have two stations.

September 13, 2013 9:31 pm

Great points, Julian.

September 13, 2013 9:34 pm

And yeah – have to be realistic here. There is almost no pulse for the CFL in Toronto at this point. Hate to say it, but it’s hard to argue with. The Blue Jays have had the ebbs and flows the last few years, but (up until things totally fell apart) there was a TON of buzz.

So, regardless of who owns what, I think The Fan serves itself better talking a lot of Jays and very little CFL.

Darrell
Darrell
September 13, 2013 10:07 pm

I used to listen to the FAN religiously and never miss a segment. Take Tim + Sid out of the equation of it’s current weekday lineup – I can’t think of one single radio personality I can’t wait to hear.

(Another) Andrew
(Another) Andrew
September 14, 2013 12:57 am

I listened to part of Tim & Sid on Monday and even though they spoke to Arash Madani they never mentioned the much anticipated US Open final between Nadal and Djokovic that was coming up in an hour and a half. Instead they discussed Davis Cup tennis (and Dion Phaneuf!) Arash made a passing reference to the US Open final (though I don’t think he mentioned the name of the tournament) but only because it was related to the Davis Cup (ie Djokovic’s travel schedule). Call me a cynic but I’m guessing it’s because TSN covered the US Open whilst Sportsnet covers Davis Cup.

Jamally
Jamally
September 15, 2013 8:26 am

I can agree why there is no CFL talk on the Fan – it has such little interest and despite all of TSN’s attempts to make the CFL seem to be important (and granted, they’ve done a good job) – nobody in Toronto watches it that’s not going to change.

I never get a chance to listen to radio during work, but I do always listen to Tim and Sid via podcast when I’m working out at the gym or at home – great radio.

I love how they make it known they watch more than just hockey and that they poke fun at the Canadian sports media who need to bring up a hockey reference for any non hockey topic….like Damien Cox comparing the the New England Patriots to the Detroit Red Wings – NOBODY but Canadian hockey media does this because that’s all they know.

Nan Young Lee
Nan Young Lee
September 15, 2013 1:10 pm

2 tweets from Steve Simmons:

steve simmons ‏@simmonssteve
One judge scored the Mayweather bout a draw. I thought Money won 10 of 12 rounds easily. Weird. Win for Mayweather.

steve simmons ‏@simmonssteve
CJ Ross, who had the fight a draw, is a woman.