Toronto Sports Media Morning Drive Lineups

Toronto Sports Media Morning Drive Lineups

By TSM

Here’s your drive lineup for your listening enjoyment this am:

Harry-Neale-566x415

On 590 with Greg Brady and Andrew Walker:

720: Eric Francis
740: Gord Stellick
820: Jon Morosi

On TSN radio with Mike Richards

TBD

COMMENTS

WORDPRESS: 20
  • comment-avatar
    HUNTER 7 years ago

And so what was the reason Lang was let go? Toronto sports radio fans can only hope Greg Brady and the dumb & dumber duo aka Sam & Ted are next to go along with the idiot program director himself Don Kollins who has ruined the FAN 590.

McCown and Hogan & Tatti are the only 2 shows I would waste electricity on. lol

HUNTER 7 years ago

Strongly disagree with 640’s decision to keep Frost on with Leafs talk. There are already 2 post game leafs call in shows on the FAN & TSN. 640 and Frost is overkill would rather have the option to listen to Coast to Coast AM which is excellent most nights that and the fact Frost is such a notorious flat out annoying MLSE spin doctor.

Nan Young Lee 7 years ago

Some CFL TV numbers:

Jamie Dykstra ‏@CFL_PR 1h
    #CFL also had 4 most watched sports broadcasts this weekend. Average TV ratings compared to this time last year are up 10% #TSN #RDS
    Retweeted by Mike Hogan

Toronto Argonauts ‏@TorontoArgos
    Saturday’s game between the @sskroughriders & the @TorontoArgos attracted an average audience of 1.069 milion viewers on #TSN

And from argofans.com:

1.069 Million watch Argos on TSN
    I just heard on our local TSN radio when Mike Hogan on the Argos Monday show, just announced the unbelievable ratings for the game.
    Being the third highest watched TV program for all of Saturday.
    Winning the Toronto market as well.

Julian 7 years ago

Winning the Toronto market? How do you figure? One million people across Canada watched it? So about 3 percent of the entire country. And what percentage do you figure in the GTA? Half? No chance. Not even close. Maybe 100k. So that’s 0.3 percent. And that’s a huge stretch given it started at 940pm.

Good spin effort. I mean, awful spin effort.

Nan Young Lee 7 years ago

I was quoting from this site which was relaying what Mike Hogan said on his Argo show yesterday.

Do you doubt argotom?

Julian 7 years ago

Well, how can you really? He’s “argotom”.

If a million people watched it in Canada, I’m guessing 200k at most watched in Toronto. I’m also convinced there are 350 thousand Canadians, most of them on the Prairies who watch all four CFL games in their entirety every week. I don’t think that’s a ridiculous concept.

Mullah_Kintyre 7 years ago

When Zelkovich was the Star’s writer for the Argos and the sports media columnist, he would make a habit of reporting how good the CFL national TV ratings were, I assume passed along to him by some PR person from the CFL, but he (or they) would avoid any regional breakdown. Sometimes there was a significant drop off from a game involving two western teams to a Toronto/Hamilton game on the same weekend, presumably because almost everyone watching was out west with no home team to watch in the eastern game. A few years ago BBM also used to release a list of top 30 TV shows of the week for individual cities, with CFL games often making the list and even in the top 10 for Calgary or Edmonton, but nowhere to seen for Toronto (except once for a Grey Cup played in Toronto), when once in a while a Blue Jays game or primetime NFL game just make the bottom of the list for Toronto. (NHL did good in all cities.)

The CFL seems to be very selective and protective about what TV ratings and information they choose to publicize or not. When Dowbiggin was still writing for the Globe And Mail a little less than two years ago —

“when we asked, the CFL and TSN both politely declined to reveal the season’s TV ratings”

Have you ever seen a CFL game on a TV in a sports bar in Toronto? I haven’t. I think it’s been more than 20 years since I’ve heard any co-workers talking about the CFL, and even that was because there was three guys who been recently transferred here from Alberta.

mike (in boston) 7 years ago

hilarious. comment of the week material right there.

I don’t know any causal regular season CFL fans. People either love it or have no interest in it. I suspect most Canadians tune in to the Grey Cup in the same way that most Americans tune in to the Superbowl. Those figures don’t really matter in terms of measuring the league’s popularity.

I grew up during the era where the league was consistently on the verge of collapse. I’m glad for CFL fans that the league appears to be sustainably profitable now.

mike (in boston) 7 years ago

p.s. it seems to me that some people care about the Toronto numbers so that they can engage in a dick wagging contest about the popularity of the Jays vs the Argos, and indirectly about the popularity of TSN vs. Sportsnet.

I’m not sure why anyone outside of a PR or marketing office should care about any of that.

I have friends who get very excited about the number of PPV buys a given UFC event will garner. I’m constantly amazed at how the UFC has made this a rooting interest for their fans. “Look at how much money we made!!!” … Seems kinda dumb to me.

Darrell 7 years ago

Andy Frost for the Leaf Talk is Mike Wilner in Frost’s body. Perish the thought you criticize the Blue Jays; for Frost perish the thought you criticize the Leafs.

(Another) Andrew 7 years ago

A few years ago when I was trying to find TV ratings for the NHL in the US I arrived at a thread at HF Forums. I was astonished by how many people in Canada were emotionally invested in whether an NBC broadcast got a 1.2 or a 1.4 Nielsen rating.

I liked the old Zelkovich columns with TV ratings. I always found it interesting how sports that are mostly ignored on talk radio, like tennis, curling, and even F1 at 8am on Sundays, often got much higher ratings than sports leagues (NCAA, NBA) that were discussed regularly on the radio.

• comment-avatar

I think people invested in a sport, especially a niche sport (which i would say hockey still in the usa as a whole) want it to be successful, to justify their fandom.

Of course, they also complain about new fans, so its a catch 22.

Mike V 7 years ago

ArgoTom is one of those few diehard CFL fans you see on the internet who takes it way, way too far, believing in farfetched conspiracy theories and sees absolutely everything as some sort of slag on the CFL. He notoriously gets facts wrong and takes huge leaps in logic.

I wouldn’t trust him to accurately tell me the weather outside.

As for being 3rd for the night, it should be mentioned the gane was on Saturday – the worst night for TV. It’s so bad now, the networks have just stopped programming any new shows on it (with the notable exception of SNL). I wouldn’t have been surprised if a TFC could have made the top 10.

Don River 7 years ago

The idea that TSN can get an audience of a million for an Argo game with only 200K from the GTA is pretty laughable. There is no way you can get over a million people in English-speaking Canada to watch anything without a substantial southern Ontario audience, even with this mythical 350K from the Prairies who supposedly watch every minute of every game. Just can’t be done.

It’s interesting that Bruce Dowbiggin, with the resources of the Globe behind him, had no access to detailed ratings info, and tried to fault the CFL for not releasing that info. TV networks seem to regard detailed TV ratings as something akin to a state secret, and when sports leagues do talk about TV ratings, it’s usually in general terms.

But based on the ratings that have been reported by the media in recent years, most Argo games seem to have done quite well — more or less comparable to most Jays games. They are also considerably better than any recent Raptors or TFC game. Could it be that the same 10K-50K people in Nunavut and the Yukon are watching every minute of their games??

Mike V 7 years ago

Well the game before the Argos between two western teams with a combined record of 3-17 was watched by about 725,000 so 200k from the GTA might not be such a bad estimate. I would say that it could even be on the high side for other Argos games that don’t get over a million.

TV ratings in Canada are incredibly hard to come by for reasons I’ve never understood and demo ratings in particular are practically unheard of and so I’m really shocked that Hogan not only had it, but also broke it down to just the Toronto region.

Don River 7 years ago

Actually it is a bad estimate considering some recent Argo-Ticat games have reportedly reached that number.

Mike V 7 years ago

Who’s to say that fans out west aren’t also watching Argos-Ticats? Though I’d agree that more than 200k would be watching both teams from the area.

Don River 7 years ago

Who’s to say a substantial number of fans here weren’t watching the Bombers and Esks? (Conjecture is fun kids!).

Mike V 7 years ago

Always a possibility of that I suppose.

Better idea, let’s go off Hogan’s number. He tweeted that the Argos-RRs had a 1.6 rating in the 25-54 GTA demo. Doubling that to a 3.2 for the rating overall (TV viewing skews a bit older than that demo in general) you end up with 240,000 viewers in the Toronto BBM region (which has around 7.5 million people).
    So is 200,000 a bit low? Probably. Is it THAT bad of a guess? Not really.

Mike V 7 years ago

Another number from Hogan on twitter I found.
    “NFL still wins in Toronto. Den/Balt did a combined 2.9 share on TSN/NBC compared to a 1.5 Argos/Cal. ”

Interestingly, no mention of it being a demo # this time.