Toronto Sports Media Morning Drive Lineups

By TSM

Here’s your drive lineup for your listening enjoyment this am:

On 590 with Greg Brady and Andrew Walker:

7:15am: Pierre McGuire – NHL on NBC/TSN Hockey Analyst
7:30: Sexy Picks of Gold/Bastls 4-Play/Paul Stanley
7:45: Leafs Breakfast w/Darren Dreger
8:00: Dan Shulman – Voice of ESPN Baseball
8:15: Alex Marvez – Fox Sports One
8:32 am – RISKY BUSINESS W/ Chris Schultz – TSN Football Analyst
8:45 am – Ken Sharp – Author “Nothin’ to Lose: The Making of KISS (1972-1975)

October 4, 2013 6:25 pm

Is Andrew Walker the Co Host of the morning show now? Or is it an until further notice kind of thing?

October 4, 2013 7:10 pm

Don’t know…………for the first few days they called it “The Morning Show” but now they appear to have renamed the show “Brady & Walker” so maybe they will be going with just the two of them

If they insisted on removing Lang I was hoping they would replace him with someone……………..but maybe it really was a cost cutting move after all

Mike C
Mike C
October 4, 2013 7:44 pm

Walker sucks. He and Brady are both arrogant clowns who talk down to the listeners and fans. Is anyone else finding Sportsnet 590 needs a partial shuffle in the morning slot 530-9 and 9-12 slot?

Darrell
Darrell
October 4, 2013 10:13 pm

Mike C. – Listening to Jeff Blair is excruiating agony lately. I don’t know how many times I can hear Jeff Blair saying, “This is… Ah…… The Jeff Blair Show!” after how many years hosting the Jeff Blair (his own name) show?

I don’t have much of a view on Andrew Walker (wanting to give the guy a bit more time) but I am sick of Greg Brady’s love incest affair with the Detroit Tigers.

I say they move Tim + Sid to 5:30 to 9 or even 10. If they are insistant on wanting to keeping Walker + Brady move them to 7-11 PM on non radio right sports games and then move Jeff Sammut + return Norm Rumack (for the 3’rd time) to overnight and please for the love of baby Jesus get rid of CBS Overnight programming.

Chris
Chris
October 4, 2013 10:58 pm

Walker was brought in to replace Lang from the get-go. The guy didn’t come to Toronto to read sports updates every 20 mins. I’m sure Brady knew, which makes him a far bigger douche than I thought he was. Makes Kollins a douche for not being a man and just firing Lang, before Brady had his test run with walker, and saying he was ok with it.

As a personality, I generally think Walker is good shit. He knows his stuff and will probably be able to host the show on his own when vacations or sick days happen.

Julian
Julian
October 5, 2013 10:47 am

Really have enjoyed Walker’s humour and chemistry with Brady. If you feel like they’re talking down to you, that’s as much to do with you as it to them. I feel like it’s an intelligent show, although the debates are great, it feels like someone has suggested to them that they debate for the sake of debate, but I’m not sure that show’s ever had two guys in there bright enough at all the sports to do that.

As good as Gord Stellick was with the NHL, was there another sport you trusted that he was really into and following? Not me. I’ve lived here for 15 years and have heard some bad shows, but this so far sure isn’t one of them. I don’t miss Jim Lange, he couldn’t keep up with Brady or match wits with him. This is a better fit.

As for when they fired him, I wondered about that, too. But remember with Andrew Krystal, he moved for a while to 1-4pm? 2-4pm? Something like that just to keep the seat warm for a while. No one I ever heard from really thought he’d stick long with 590 after mornings were so bad.

Either way, I’m sure it’s like any other business. Sometimes it’s more expensive to fire guys one day, and less expensive the next. Just think, 6 or 7 NFL coaches always get fired the Monday after the regular season ends, but the plans were in the works for weeks to get rid of them. I’ve worked in Human Resources, and you have to plan these things out. No one wakes up and just decides to fire someone on a particular day, unless there’s some legal reason to do so.

People can’t have it both ways. Lange was a nice guy so people feel bad for him, but I’m sure John Shannon might be a nice guy and yet he gets more crap on this board than anyone else does. That’s how it goes. I would guess any of these guys outside of a Bob McCown are ready to be fired and almost always have a “Plan B” in the back of their minds. There’s a lot of people like Bill Hayes, Don Landry who couldn’t get back into full-time radio in Toronto, and others like Mike Hogan have to take the scraps offered to them.

TSN Radio’s been an utter disaster ratings-wise for almost 3 years with some slight improvement finally according to TSM here, but I think they’ve only fired one person, James Cybulski. Firing people isn’t smart business unless it’s absolutely necessary I would guess in radio or tv, and newspaper writers don’t ever seem to get fired, unless there’s massive layoffs!

Dave in Bolton
Dave in Bolton
October 5, 2013 12:51 pm

The CBC Hotstove will now air in the pregame rather then the 2nd period

Nan Young Lee
Nan Young Lee
October 5, 2013 4:12 pm

Jeff Blair loathes both Don Cherry and Ron McLean. His reaction to Joe Carter’s home run – “meh”.

He also attacked Andrew Stoeten this week (not by name) after a Drunk Jays
Fan Oct. 2, post referring to the Blair-Howarth interview as “idiot-empowering”, and criticized Blair and Howarth for their views on Bautista’s leadership qualities.

Blair doesn’t joke around with Walker as he did with Farewell. He must view Walker and his baseball “knowledge” as a joke. Mr. Blair will not put up with mediocrities talking about baseball.

I see the music is much improved on PTS and other shows on 590. Is the added cost for this a sign of panic or an attempt to increase its lead over the competition. Surprisingly, Bob said last week that now he has pre-show meetings with Kollins.

Alex
Alex
October 5, 2013 4:35 pm

SO, bob comes in at 3:50 instead of 3:58?

October 6, 2013 9:38 am

the reaction to Howarth’s Bautista comments would make a great old vs. new sports media story, if anyone cared to do the research and write it up. Some really clear battle-lines have been drawn.

Most of us who follow the Jays had high hopes for Blair. Unfortunately it seems he is at his best when he is taking calls on who should be playing on the 4th line for the Leafs. It’s too bad … when he actually went to Jays games and spent time doing interviews and research he was a decent baseball journalist.

And I agree with some of Julian‘s points, specifically: it seems really hard to stay fired from a sports media job. Rumak, Stellick, Cybulski, Landry, Hogan, Krystal, Toth …. none of these guys ever seem to go away for good (except for Goddard, but i assume he has moved on to spreading the good news full-time). Is the drop off from these guys to “fresh” voices really that significant?

Nan Young Lee
Nan Young Lee
October 6, 2013 11:35 am

Superb analysis by KJ:

Meanwhile on PTS a couple of weeks ago, Brunt was going on how great the Real Madrid Champions League game on Sportsnet was. When Bob asked who Real were playing there was a pause which Bob ended with, “You don’t even know who’s playing.” Brunt had to ask the producer to look up who was playing. The next World Cup will be one of the most special because it will be in a legendary football country. Too bad Sportsnet has the rights and Brunt will be allowed to toss his confetti of ignorance on the Brazilian parade.

Nan Young Lee
Nan Young Lee
October 6, 2013 1:25 pm

This has a chance to be an interesting weekly read. Although it may be dominated by Cathal Kelly (if a TSN contributor is allowed). Shannon Proudfoot brings a first class mind to Sportsnet.ca. Fire Mr. I don’t Know Who’s Playing and give her and the excellent Chris Johnston a raise.

Steve
Steve
October 6, 2013 4:59 pm

Just listened to last Friday’s 5pm Prime Time Sports podcast. The first segment was perhaps the worst 20 minutes of radio I’ve ever heard.

Dave in Bolton
Dave in Bolton
October 6, 2013 7:28 pm

Move Tim and Sid to the mourning show and give Andrew Walker his own show leading into PTS. Walker sounds alot like Dan Patrick and he would make for a great host.

Another Steve
Another Steve
October 6, 2013 8:32 pm

I get it – you hate Brunt.

Well, as for me, the “excellent” Brunt is one of my favourite people to listen to on sports radio, and you’ve written nothing that has changed my mind.

Rather, you’ve merely proven that you hate Brunt.

So there it is – whatever.

Nan Young Lee
Nan Young Lee
October 6, 2013 11:12 pm

You’re free to like someone who’s too stupid to know what team he’s watching. Or maybe you enjoyed him on the SN previewing the baseball playoffs, because he knows sooo much about baseball. I notice you don’t give any specifics about why he’s one of your favourites. It’s not surprising that you can’t point to anything insightful or entertaining coming out of the mouth of that bearded dolt.

I will say that I was wrong and too hasty to criticise Andrew Walker. Probably being a fan of Lang and Farwell coloured my views. After listening for couple of weeks, I have to agree with Chris and Dave that Walker is great addition to 590. Outstanding knowledge of the NHL and the NFL (not sure about baseball yet) and very funny. I’m sure he’ll win over Blair eventually. Lang knew hockey and football but his diffident personality led Brady to dominate their conversations. “Brady and Lang” was good, “Brady and Walker” is better. I should have known better than to bet against the Midas-like(usually) Don Kollins.

If you want a good baseball podcast (now a few days old but still entertaining):

True, Andrew Stoeten and co. can’t match Brunt’s “brilliance”, but they make up for it with expletives.

October 7, 2013 8:53 am

Brunt is miles ahead of the rest of the “old man bitching brigade” on PTS, but he is still dragged down by McCown’s ramblings. As another commenter here often points out, Brunt will say very little when the rest of the grandpas are talking about onions on their belts, and he usually declines to take the bait when goaded into a useless argument. I would love to listen to Brunt with Arthur or Naylor.

I have a soft spot for Brunt since, as a kid, he was the only columnist I made a point of reading each week. But I don’t consider him an expert on any sport, and Nan‘s anecdote about Brunt not knowing the teams playing in a match he was touting is pretty embarrassing.

Roger
Roger
October 7, 2013 10:08 am

@Julian
Agree 100%.

Hey guys, go easy on Brunt – he’s getting over the 25th anniversary of Ben Johnson’s screw up in Seoul.

Going by his doc, it the was equivalent to JFK being shot or 9/11. Plus, the fact he made the cheater Ben out to be the victim was quite laughable.

He just seems intelligent to some when you compare him against Cox or McCown.

October 7, 2013 2:37 pm
Curt
Curt
October 7, 2013 6:14 pm

I was a huge fan of Brunt at one time, but he isn’t all he used to be (like all of us I suppose). I feel he is a little overrated these days. I get tired of his pretentious “essays”, while everyone at Rogers salivates over them. (Are they really that good?) He also seems like a bit of a Rogers lackey and has lost some of his edge. In particular, Brunt, last April, said that if the Jays weren’t playing meaningful baseball come August/September then there will need to be some hard questions asked. Well, last month, when there was a bit of an inquisition on PTS about the season, he simply said that starting pitching collapsed, move on. Really? that’s it? The manager wasn’t shit? The GM doesn’t have any responsibility? Some of the “leaders” in the clubhouse aren’t leaders at all? No, nothing to see here, move on.

Still, that said, for PTS, he’s the only guy who deserves a listen…but that’s really not saying much either.

October 7, 2013 8:56 pm

I honestly think Stoetens writing has become the best baseball read in Canada.

I still enjoy Brunt. He tends to be thoughtful and informed, rather than knee jerk BSers like Cox and Shannon. Plus I think his chemistry with McCown is great.