Toronto Sports Media Radio Ratings

By TSM

Sorry this is a little crude but I am on the road so here we go:

Morning Drive

Males 18-49

McCown: 5.1
Naylor : 3.8

Males 25-54

McCown: 6.9
Naylor: 3.5

Here are my thoughts. TSN radio has benefited from the Maple Leafs moving over half the time. There is no doubt that this has given them life. Will they catch or beat the Fan? I doubt it. At least not anytime soon. However, they’ve come a long way from the .9 ratings days (remember when someone said that more people listen to a host who sits on his roof with a megaphone days?)

It’s taken longer than they probably would have liked but they are generating an audience.

Interesting trends to look for: I’m interested to see how the Fan morning show does over the next couple of months. These aren’t bad numbers, but they aren’t the numbers they were getting before. The PTS numbers are very interesting too. McCown was a shoe in to get 8’s in yesteryear. 6’s is new territory for him, is this a trend or just a blip….. Hockey Central still strong with the “older” crowd – MacLean???? Leafs lunch doing well with the younger men……

What does it mean? If it continues, it means that those in the business will be looking at good money down the road as competition will be fierce. I’ve said all along that the consumers want choice. It looks like it only took some time for that to start. Perfect example, McCown led with the Prime Minister today, Naylor had Simmons and Arthur talking the NFL hazing story. TSN won the first segment in my car. McCown switched to basketball with Doug Smith and I decided to listen a little longer with Naylor. I switched after that. Nice having a choice on the drive home….Hope it continues.

Jimmy
Jimmy
November 4, 2013 11:27 pm

What about Macko and Cauz 9-12 on 1050? Infinitely better than Blair’s show. Not even close

Sam in Scarb
Sam in Scarb
November 5, 2013 6:06 am

Macko and Cauz 9-12 are indeed entertaining and interesting.
In a 13 minute segment they can discuss 4-5 current sport topics,while blair takes phone calls on “what would you do about the Leafs goalie controversy”.

Tom In Bowmanville
Tom In Bowmanville
November 5, 2013 7:29 am

Probably better off just listening to Q107 or *shudder* The Edge from 9-10 if you don’t like Blair, because Macko and Cauz are unlistenable. “Macko” was bearable as a side-kick to Cybulski (who was also garbage after about 6 months) but now it’s all about forced shtick and setting Cauz to go on a cringe-inducing rant in a weak attempt to be Jim Rome. I turned it on briefly last week only to find that Dave Feschuk was co-hosting with Cauz and I reached for the dial so quickly I almost put my car into a guardrail.

Good to Hayes driving some strong numbers with Leafs Lunch, he’s the only guy at TSN I like.

November 5, 2013 8:15 am

as always, thanks for the inside info TSM. A few follow-up requests:

– If someone has the time, an analysis of the trends would be very nice.
– Also, if someone has email access to the PD at TSN (Robert Gray) and can get a comment on where the station is relative to its own expectations, that would great. I imagine they are pleased which where things stand.

My own thoughts: I don’t enjoy morning radio primarily because it is designed to incorporate breaks for traffic and news and lots of ad breaks too. It’s not good listening, but I guess if you’re stuck in the car then they can get away with it.

Maybe this explains why Richards is still on the air … i find him to be unlistenable. But i’m at a loss to explain why Richards has closed the gap with Brady. I get that Brady comes across as a dick, but I’m shocked that so many people have switched to Richards.

Look for the FAN to shake up the morning show. The logical move is to make Tim&Sid switch slots with Brady. I would welcome that, since T&S seem more suited to morning zoo radio in their current incarnation. I would also like to see what Brady could do with his own 3 hour show in the afternoon.

November 5, 2013 8:22 am

p.s. – Naylor must be thrilled to getting those numbers against McCown. I think it is well deserved by Naylor & his crew, but i also think it speaks to PTS’ recent run of contempt for the audience.

p.p.s – in the absence of sample sizes, these actual numbers are not very meaningful. there is reason to think the methods used to calculate ratings reflect the listening habits of only a handful of people. trends would be much more telling.

Jerry in KW
Jerry in KW
November 5, 2013 8:41 am

Bryan Hayes is the BEST sports radio personality/host in Toronto!!!!

Robert
Robert
November 5, 2013 9:27 am

“it speaks to PTS’ recent run of contempt for the audience.”

Not completely. It seems the Fan has been listening to someone, since it appears that Shannon is no longer in the co-host rotation. Since the beginning of September I think the only time he’s been on has been as part of the round table.

Hopefully this will keep up.

DL
DL
November 5, 2013 10:14 am

Richards is insufferable. Everytime I switch over to 1050 in the morning it seems he’s playing some awful fake phone call and giggling like a schoolgirl with whoever the hell he has in studio with him. Not sure who finds this crap funny, but it isn’t.

On the plus side, he gets Darren Dreger every morning. On the negative, Steve Simmons accompanies him for some strange reason.

Agree with Mike, T&S should be doing mornings.

Mullah_Kintyre
Mullah_Kintyre
November 5, 2013 11:55 am

I guess the noon ratings demonstrate what a hockey town (and country) this still is. It’s the one time that, if I have the radio on, I will immediately switch away from the sports stations (with one guy calling another “Noodles”) for anything else, maybe even Mike Bullard.

Zelkovich’s list of some national TV ratings for this week:

It would be interesting and probably more relevant for us to see a similar list just for the Toronto market, which must exist because at one time BBM routinely released top 30 lists (of all types of TV programs) for some individual cities including Toronto. The F1 race was early on a Sunday morning (I believe 5 am on the west coast), with the championship already decided and no compelling reason for Canadians to watch. Even as a motorsports fan, I find it difficult to believe the Raptors can’t draw significantly more viewers than the meaningless early Sunday morning F1 race, at least in the GTA.

November 5, 2013 1:48 pm

I agree with you Mike, that the morning show is usually the least listenable show because they’re trying to shoehorn in traffic and recaps of the previous night.

I would like to hear Brady have more room to manoeuvre in afternoons, but at the same time I would be disappointed to see Tim & Sid become more constricted in the AM.

(Another) Andrew
(Another) Andrew
November 5, 2013 2:30 pm

In addition to audience contempt and host dickishness it could also be due to the heavy promotional campaign on TSN TV for these shows (Richards in particular) and the fact that they are now on TV so much that people have got used to them. Despite being a lifelong sports fan I never listened to the FAN until about 5 or 6 years ago when I caught the PTS roundtable a few times on TV late at night. Only after then did I seek out the radio station.

(Another) Andrew
(Another) Andrew
November 5, 2013 2:41 pm

It’s been this way for years. Making it even worse is that this has been one of the worst F1 seasons of the last 30 years with many fans (like me) disillusioned. F1 ratings on TSN are now barely half what they were a few years ago.

The NBA gets way more attention in Toronto media than it warrants especially when compared to soccer, motor sports, and even tennis. But most Toronto media pundits are followers of all things American so it is not that surprising.

Alex
Alex
November 5, 2013 4:52 pm

Gotta love the toronto mayor wearing an NFL tie to his most important press conference. And an out of date one at that (Oilers logo)

November 5, 2013 6:39 pm

I’m not sure I agree that the 590 morning show is overly “constricted”…………..Brady’s show is three 13-14 minute segments per hour just like all of the other shows on 590…………….an hour podcast of Brady’s show is not significantly shorter than PTS or Tim & Sid………….there are no news breaks on Brady’s show and no business reports anymore either

The main difference between the morning show and the other shows is that it’s not easy to get guests early in the morning therefore they have to be a bit more creative when it comes to content in the first 90 minutes of the show

November 5, 2013 6:44 pm

I know this is a sports site, not a food site, but it’s so sad that Charlie Trotter died. That man taught me more about cooking than anyone else in my life.

Nick m
Nick m
November 5, 2013 7:13 pm

interesting numbers. very happy to see Brady’s numbers down. Getting a little cocky on twitter recently tweeting that he was a highly rated morning show in Toronto as defence to someone who disagreed with him. Which leads me to another question. How much does a host’s twitter feed impact their ratings. i myself have stopped listening to both Brady and Blair simply based on their constant trolling online. And i will second the comment that Hayes is one of the best and probably very underrated.

Jimmy
Jimmy
November 5, 2013 10:42 pm

Macko and Cauz is way better than Blair. It really isn’t close. The guests are way better and more varied, and listening to Blair drone on and take calls is horrible. The TSN guys may be a little wacky, but the show is always fun.

Raptors Devotee
Raptors Devotee
November 6, 2013 7:25 am

Robert is right about Shannon, as I literally have not given him a second thought, as since he was removed as a FOB, all it did was allow me, as TSM alluded to, a real choice between the two sports stations, able to alternate depending on the guest/segment, and not worry about doing a full boycott due to a co-host who I just can’t take on any level.

There has also been a ton of Brunt of late, and far less Cox, who I also tend to avoid, but will tolerate if I enjoy the guest/segment, but overall I am quite pleased with the offerings, not to mention the simulcasts that I also catch sometimes. I do not bother with the podcasts unless it is a must listen/watch that I missed, and of late Rob Ford has cut into my sports listening, but that will eventually subside.

I find both morning shows awful, and have no interest in either, but regardless, sports radio in the morning was never my cup of tie, as I get enough of it already.

scott
scott
November 7, 2013 4:28 pm

thanks for the numbers, I turned McCowan off about a year ago, he is such an arrogant ass. I do however catch the round table on Friday’s, not live but on podcast. blair is such a whiner, s&t are juvenile, leafs lunch is a riot. anybody know what happened to Bill Watters?

Roger
Roger
November 12, 2013 9:03 pm

I’m surprised Naylor is trending up. I find Naylor a voice great for newspapers; same with Bruce Arthur. Lately its been more Naylor/Hodge and Hodge draws from about as deep a well of knowledge regarding sports as anyone in this market. They seem to be more focused now. TSN tried to drown us with their personalities & it was like listening to a blown speaker. TSN Drive talks more Leafs than McCown. You can count on a Dreger segment leading with Leafs as well as a 5 PM Mackenzie segment leading with Leafs but TSN Drive also pushes TSN’s ‘product’: the CFL, way too much for me & I’ll never listen to that. But there’s no denying the CFL draws viewers so perhaps it is helping as well.

For me one of the major reasons Naylor is trending is because at 5:02 PM they’re talking Leafs mostly, or, the top story of the day – right out of commercial. Either way, they go right into talking sports while McCown is sitting back on his high horse ( earned, now abused ) talking about what he had for dinner or making wisecracks about how Simmons was 30 seconds late. Sometimes they yak about personal stuff for the ENTIRE first segment – and this is prime time sports. Who cares??

If Bruce Arthur is on TSN Drive I can’t turn it off fast enough, great essayist, lousy sports radio ‘personality’. BUT, if McCown is yakking ad infinitum about John Shannon’s lousy tie-of-the-day – of course I flip over to 1050 and if its Bob Mackenzie talking Leafs – I stay, regardless of who’s there and I guarantee that is happening a lot.

Bob McCown is quite proud that he never preps for his shows anymore – he just shows up 5 minutes before the broadcast and his producer hands him a list of how that day’s show is broken down. He’s earned that. But so did Larry King. Each had their time and Bob’s is waning though I’d say its 5 years if ever that TSN Drive overtakes PTS. Bob’s probably only got 5 more years left in him before he retires anyway.

The other story is Brady & Walker – I think, like above, you’ll see people like me sliding down the dial. I never listened to Richards before – found it almost as nauseating as the Tim & Sid ‘show’ ( I never turn the dial from Hayes to those two Podcast turds) but with this Walker guy being almost as serious as Mike Eppel, the show has tilted too far to a class lecture. Walker knows his stuff but who cares? Too bad Jim Lang left for personal reasons.

Needs to be more ‘banter’ish’ and less serious. Lang was a good counter to not only Brady’s serious side but his comedic side as well. There was a great balance there and I’m not sure they’ll ever rediscover it unless they put a consistent, lighter third voice back in the room ( NOT whoever that OHL guy that was there ). If Richards does his Jim Rome or a ‘caller’ calls in to do Scarface I jump out my window.

My favourite show in the market used to be Brady & Lang, now its TSN’s Leafs Lunch. Granted, two different time slots but just thought I’d state that. One on one I think Hayes will overtake Hockey Central at Noon – especially if the Leafs make the playoffs and go deep. Darren Millard starts every HCN show like he’s the White House Press Secretary the day after the twin towers came down; sorry dude, its just not that serious. The other thing is they spend too much time talking Flames hockey. Who the hell cares? This is the Toronto market. Let SN960 talk Flames locally. I don’t want to here bleeping Feaster interviewed 3 times a week.

HCN suffers from their McCown lead-in banter as well though not to the same degree. Meanwhile, down the dial, Leafs Lunch is talking the one team that drives sports in this town. Hayes used to be a bit more serious with Jamie McLennan but with the fresh addition of Jeff O’Neill they now have the best show in town. Unless HCN is interviewing Nonis, Carlyle or someone key to the Leafs, my dial doesn’t change from 1050. And once you hit 1 PM the only alternative is the airhorn show from 1 to 4 on 590 which I will only listen to if they have a key interview because they know little about sports.

Looking forward to the next book to see how these trends develop.

Randy
Randy
May 9, 2016 12:42 pm

What is with “Leafs Lunch” I have been out of Country and come back looking forward to it and it is awful. Andi Petrillo? how is she employed in this “hockey” market. I just found out Hayes is moved to 4-7 pm, I guess to compete with that dick McCowan. Hayes is great!, TSN better not lose him or they will move someone like Steve Simmons in(please no). I miss Leafs lunch but am now forced to listen to McClean boast about almost ruining the Bluejackets. Maybe pair him with Milbury as worst GM’s ever.