Is TSN out of the hockey game?

By TSM

Lots of news swirling around right now about Bettman inc making lots of dough in the Canadian tv market. By all accounts, TSN could be the loser in this on the English side as Rogers and CBC pony up the big dough to get exclusive English rights for Canadian NHL hockey.

If indeed true, tsn’s bob mckenzie has been tweeting about it, it will be a significant body blow to TSN.

Hard to believe the bcc has the money to spend what’s being rumoured out there- but hey it’s just tax payers money right πŸ™‚

More details in the am….

COMMENTS

WORDPRESS: 54
  • comment-avatar

I don’t quite understand what rights these are for… Hockey Night in Canada, national games of the week and the playoffs?

TSN still keeps regional games right?

• comment-avatar
    Gerry 7 years ago

Looks indeed like CBC/Sportsnet have National TV deal, sounds like Sunday night will be Sportsnet Hockey Night in Canada with Saturday remaining CBC.
    Apparantly TVA Sports are partnered with this and will get the Quebec rights which RDS presently have as the National Broadcaster for Habs games.

Wonder if this means Bell/TSN will now become exclusive Regional holder for Leafs Games, I realize seperate deal, but wonder if there is a wink, wink deal here where Sportsnet got the National but TSN will get the regional.

Mike V 7 years ago

yup, done deal. http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/deal-gives-rogers-rights-to-all-nhl-games-through-2025-26/
    Rogers buys all rights (including online) for 5.2billion/12 years and sub-licences HNIC back to CBC.

It raises two obvious questions to me.
    1) This deal is massive, $433 million a year though it looks like about half of that will be picked up by CBC. Will Rogers be able to turn a profit on this or did they overpay to keep it away from TSN? They did the latter with Leafs regional rights all those years ago and it worked out well for them eventually.
    2) Is this enough to dethrone the King? I don’t know the absolute distance between the two but Sportsnet has been gaining ground in the past year (ratings up 20%, won April and June outright). And no disrespect to Bob McKenzie, who’s been tweeting the right things about his current employer TSN, but content is what’s key. TSN now has something like 500 hours of prime-time programming to fill, what’s going in there? My best suggestion right now is more curling because they could feasibly just create a new tournament/league, it’ll be relatively cheap and deliver steady ratings. But after that it’s random NBA game from ESPN, more Wiggins (oh wait – he won’t be in Kansas anymore), 2-hr CFL studio show, and angry Canadian fans beating up a Bettman pinata.

Mike V 7 years ago

Oh, and I just read that HNIC won’t have exclusivity either. City will be airing a game Saturday Night too. So CBC is paying double to get less. Sounds like a crummy deal for them, but one they felt forced to do.

Dave in Bolton 7 years ago

Looks like selling SN to Rogers has come back to bite Bell in the Ass
    Will be intresting to see how many of the TSN on air personalities jump ship to SN.

• comment-avatar

Great way for bettman to bury talk about the concussion lawsuit.

Steve in Waterloo 7 years ago

Rogers owns all content rights to the NHL.
    Watching the NHL is going to cost me more money, at least for the next 12 years I expect. Urgh…

Steve in Waterloo 7 years ago

So, what exactly does “full editorial control” mean?
    I get the rights and the broadcast methods, but does that mean the commentators, what/who goes on between periods etc?

So, Rogers can decide if Grapes is on the CBC broadcast after the 1st period? Or what spot Freidman does during the week for the broadcast?

Mike V 7 years ago

Yes, Steve. Rogers calls all the shots on HNIC now.

(Another) Andrew 7 years ago

If they’re willing to pay double then surely they got some guarantee that they will still get Leafs games and not just stuck with the likes of Winnipeg and Edmonton every Saturday.

Leedog 7 years ago

I mean, who can REALLY argue with MORE Kypreos?

This is gonna be AWESOME!

• comment-avatar

“So CBC is paying double to get less”

– according to CBC, they “will not pay any rights costs for the broadcasting of hockey games on the main network. Rogers will bear the monetary risk and reward of the broadcasts, too β€” they sell the ads, but keep the revenue derived from them”

so, paying something less than double. or nothing?

Andrew 7 years ago

Given my experiences with Rogers, I’m a long way from hopeful about this.

Poker Guy 7 years ago

A monopoly held by anyone, is never a good thing. However I wonder, because it’s Rogers, does it make it seem worse to a lot of folks?
    Had Bell been the benafactor of this deal today, I wonder what the reaction may have been?

Mike V 7 years ago

You’re right Kyle. My comment was posted before the full details of the arrangement were released.

I was going off the article in The Globe that said CBC would be paying $200 million per year to keep the Saturday games.

(Another) Andrew 7 years ago

TSN Radio must have been fun this morning.

• comment-avatar

“Welcome to Kipper’s Korner on hockey night in canada.”

“The hot stove with glen healy, pj stock, eliot friedman and john shannon.”

• comment-avatar

I see Bettman will be appearing on PTS with Mcown this afternoon at 4. I guess 5.2 Billion dollars changes his mind about appearing on his show.

Must be quite a somber day over at TSN.

Poker Guy 7 years ago

I was listening to Hayes. He spun it as “Rogers paid 5.2B to keep Bell out”
    Is he right? We’ll see…

• comment-avatar

Hayes just had Ray Ferraro on his show on 1050…………..Ferraro’s world has been turned upside down by this announcement so I was impressed by his honest thoughts…………….in my opinion he is one of the best hockey analysts so I’m guessing Rogers will end up hiring him after the current season

• comment-avatar

Will this expedite bell selling their part of mlse?

• comment-avatar

Of coarse that’s what they did. It’s called smart business.

With one bold move, Rogers has basically vaulted SN into first place in the sports network wars. Bell/TSN can spin it any which way they want, but being locked out of the most popular sport in the country for the next 12 years is an absolute KO shot. Millions of people will be tuned into a SN channel 3-4 times per week to watch NHL. I’m guessing Rogers is banking that a LOT of those people will stick around for post-game coverage, and then they’ll stick around for Connected (hopefully with more Erin Hawksworth). Sports TV is habit viewing. Once people are going to those channels so often for the NHL, they’ll be going there for other sporting events and news.

TSN has a lot of good hockey people, who I assume will be looking for life boats right about now. It’s impossible to keep all that on-air talent when you have no content to put around it.

Raptors Devotee 7 years ago

I never thought I would see the day when Bettman appears on McCown again. Then again, I never thought I would see the day when Doug Maclean appears on McCown again. I jest of course. Bob’s show is, and always has been, about the entertainment aspects of radio, with some intelligent analysis and discussion mixed in should you get lucky enough and he is motivated. Safe to say, as I am listening to it, that Bob is in his element now, asking all of the relevant questions we want to know.

On a sidelight, TSN radio’s show opened up spinning all of their hockey properties they still own, and how although they are disappointed, nothing will change. If you ever want to hear spinning at its finest, you have to listen to it.

Pudge72 7 years ago

Great move by Rogers (especially with the sub-contract back to HNIC). This hurts TSN hard as they have morphed into an NHL/CFL/ESPN filler station, to the expense of most other sports, over the past several years. Their arrogance in overexposing their NHL coverage had really turned me off from viewing any of their programing over the last 12-24 months.

One silver lining for TSN is that this should force them to do something that should have been done quite a while ago. Namely, they should construct a CHL/NCAA hockey package that surrounds their airing of the WJHC. I never understood how TSN could trip over themselves while promoting a 10 day holiday hockey tournament, but then almost NEVER show a regular season game of any of the players that formed the national junior teams.

• comment-avatar

What does TSN become at this point? They have Regional Leafs/Habs/Jets, CFL, Curling…NBA?

I would imagine they will be searching for new non NHL content. Perhaps this will push them toward actually purchasing new teams themselves. There has been suggestion in the US MLB media that Montreal is being seen as a destination for the Rays. Jon Paul Morosi tweeted today that perhaps this would push Bell to look at making that happen for content. Obviously it wouldn’t be huge like the NHL, but it doesn’t seem like a crazy idea.

In light of the Bon Jovi/NFL stuff, I would imagine this would push Bell to hope for that to occur as well. They’re going to need all the non NHL Canadian properties they can get.

Jamally 7 years ago

Am I correct in believing this deal also includes mobile and highlights. I’ve heard people say or post about how TSN can no longer show game highlights….surely this is incorrect?

Nan Young Lee 7 years ago

Hopefully Bob McKenzie and James Duthie move over to Sportsnet. Personell does make a difference to the presentation. Last years Vanier Cup on TSN had 910 000 viewers, this year on Sportsnet with Tim Micallef the number was 301 000 according to Chris Zelkovich. A 67% decline. I like Micallef on the radio but he’s awful doing play by play.

And the Raptors didn’t even make the top 13 Zelkovich provides. What’s going to happen when they go against multiple hockey games every night?

Pudge72 7 years ago

@ Nan Young Lee…While the Raptors should be given more prominence on TSN, the likely result is that their ratings will take a hit on any night they are going up against a hockey game. MLSE would be wise to try to get the NBA to make the Raptors schedule heavy on Monday, Tuesday, Friday game nights to give them the best chance at a larger tv audience.

@ Jamally. As I understand it, the rights are for all media platforms (including mobile), but I can’t imagine that it would extend to an Olympic-style ban on highlights.

• comment-avatar

@Nan – listening to McKenzie, both in print and this afternoon on 1050, he doesn’t sound like he wants to go anywhere – been there 25 years, weathered the last time they did not have national rights. I guess it depends what TSN’s endgame really is.

@Pudge72 – i agree with both points from your earlier post – TSN’s arrogance has been nausiating (hopefully Sportsnet doesn’t follow suit), and that it would be nice to see TSN invest more on the junior side.

It will be interesting to see if TSN overpays for regional rights is/as they come up. Squeezing Rogers out on NFL, and loading up on NBA and MLB have to be other plays, no?

Speaking to the numbers Nan posted about the Vanier Cup, part of it has to be just the numbers in general that are driven to TSN vs. Sportsnet, old habits, etc. Having no real knowledge of the numbers, my guess would be it will take up to 5 years for Sportsnet to displace TSN as number one, specifically on the highlight desks, and just generally overall.

I also heard a month or so ago about the potential of Sunday night games. This could be interesting. Yesterday’s discussion on 590 with Deitsch suggested (in the US anyway) that Sunday night is a big viewing night. Don’t know what Canadian viewing habits are, but if they are similar that could be found money.

Pudge72 7 years ago

@Kyle…the nausea that I have felt towards TSN transferred over at least somewhat to Sportsnet today. Hockey Central came across as an infomercial for the new deal when it spent its entire one hour time slot pumping the tires of the deal…without even once mentioning the concussion lawsuit that was launched at the NHL…Ugh.

It got worse when Connected @ 6 pm spent the first 1/2 hour (I didn’t catch the 2nd 1/2 hour) entirely on the announcement…after Tim & Sid and Prime Time did nothing else as well. I guess I’ll hold my nose and give them a pass today (and today only) to promote their new $5 billion toy.

TSN was professional in leading the 6 pm Sportscentre with coverage of the announcement. I could see them expanding out their Team Canada related coverage (i.e. greater or full coverage of non-Canada games of Spengler Cup, WJHC, Worlds, etc.) even moreso than they already do. Might they add some additional hockey programming (i.e. a Game of the Week from say the Swedish Elite League or the Swiss League…maybe even the KHL, just to stick it to the NHL a little bit)? I gotta think TSN is kicking around a whole bunch of scenarios right about now…

• comment-avatar

Today’s FAN590 shows were basically just a big press conference about this. Also Gary Bettman is welcome on PTS again because of this. I wonder how much criticism on the NHL we can expect from Sportsnet personalities now.

TSN’s podcasts aren’t posted very regularly, and the Live Drive podcasts aren’t up. Did TSN Radio talk about this much, or were they trying to pretend it didn’t happen?

(Also, hi! I’m back. I was away due to various life issues)

Hey Ami.

I heard Naylor talk about it off the top with a TSN exec. Sounded pretty sombre over there. Hockey and CFL have been TSN’s ‘things’ for so long, they’ll really have to find a new identity. Going to be tough. NBA has limited appeal, and they’re obviously not going to get the Jays.

Honestly, as someone who’s not really a huge hockey fan, I’m not totally sure how I feel on it. Sportsnet’s baseball coverage was good last year. Hope they keep that up. If not, I’d much rather TSN have gotten hockey..

D. Smith 7 years ago

I like this move. TSN’s hockey arrogance might have gotten the better of them. I had grown tired of them. The fall over themselves to promote the World Juniors yet the only other day the cover junior hockey is the draft. I can’t see many of TSN’s tallent heading over to Sportsnet. With the exception of Bob McKenzie I don’t know if one group is that much bette than the other. At least the anchors at Sportsnet don’t sound like bad strip-club DJ’s

Poker Guy 7 years ago

Yesterday’s PTS with Bettman was this renewed fake love affair with Bob. It was esentially, “I’ll suck yours, if you suck mine” It was so phony.

Andrew 7 years ago

I’m no business expert, and I didn’t stay in a holiday in Express last night, but here’s what I would do if I were Bell. Rogers is going to be wanting more money per household for Sportsnet. Bell should make that deal as soon as possible and then drop their overall price to put pressure on Rogers. The new slash and burn CEO coming in at Rogers would love that.

Don Mandrie 7 years ago

It will be fascinating to see how much more $ Sportsnet spends to hire talent to match its new property. How many on air hockey types – PBP, colour, studio, reporting – would be able to bump somebody out at TSN? Maybe Kypreos. They’ll have to do a lot more than just Ray Ferraro & Pierre LeBrun.

Mike V 7 years ago

So Bell would intentionally be squeezing out their own margins from both sides in the TV business? I don’t see that as the strategy they’ll be taking.

Yes, the FAN was overkill with this announcement yesterday but you had to expect that from whoever won the rights. Perhaps more so from the #2 network. However, I tuned into TSN1050 twice during T&S and maybe it was bad timing but both times they were discussion Rex Ryan’s foot fetish. So it could have been worse.

Dave in Bolton 7 years ago

I wonder if now would be the perfect time for Rogers to make an offer to buy TSN as well as TSN2 from Bell. Rogers dosen’t have a national sports network and thats what they would get with TSN. SN1 and TSN2 would have to merge and changes to 360 as well. Don’t forget Pelly built TSN.

I also wonder if Pelly is the heir apparent to Bettman when its time for him to go.

• comment-avatar

On first glance, i dont know if the CRTC would approve rogers buying TSN.

• comment-avatar

I wonder, in order to offset the cost of the NHL rights, if Rogers wouldn’t sell the Blue Jays in the next couple of years – after this so-called window for winning has closed. It’s a 6 month baseball season and almost half of that would be played during the end of the hockey season (playoffs included). Would Bell be interested?

• comment-avatar

@Curt With NHL rights in the winter and Jays in the summer, Rogers has a bit of a stranglehold at the moment. It’s so much content, but they do have 7 Sportsnet stations, plus City, plus this CBC partnership. I find it hard to believe they’d back off now and sell the Jays after going all in like this (both on the Jays and the NHL).

daver 7 years ago

Dave in Bolton, I’m not sure what you mean by “Rogers doesn’t have a national sports network” Sportsnet is as national (maybe not as popular) as TSN is….

Mike V 7 years ago

Its true that April is jammed pack and so is October and Rogers is going to have tough programming decisons (especially if the Blue Jays or Raptors ever get into the playoffs) but outside of that it’s managable.

I could see the schedule during the 1st round looking something like this
    CBC – 7: series w Canadian team/10: series w Canadian team
    SNet – 7: Jays game/10: Hockey Central/Connected
    SNet360 – 7:30 series w American teams/10:30 series w American teams
    SNet1 – taped programming that can turn into overflow channel

Like Daniel I can’t see Rogers throwing TSN a life raft after taking premium content away from them. Rogers would create yet another channel before doing that.

Anthony 7 years ago

‘More details in the am….’

Still waiting…just to be a great site….RIP

Dave in Bolton 7 years ago

Daver what I’m referring to is that Rogers has 4 regional networks SN east, west ontario,pacific those are regional networks. They also have 360 and One but in terms of a national network they don’t have one that is like TSN. That may change with the NHL deal

Dave in Bolton 7 years ago

On another note here’s a thought on a idea on how Bell might be able to stay in the game. They should rebrand TSN as ESPN and go full out ESPN content mixed in with the talent they have as well as any content they own. Get the rights to NBA on TNT, Nascar and other sports to fill the void. ESPN Canada might be a way for Bell to go up against the NHL and Rogers and maybe not fall too far behind.

Another Steve 7 years ago

Maybe TSN could make it interesting by devoting all its resources to helping investigate this NHL concussion story.

I’m sure there’d be no greater revenge than bringing down the NHL. πŸ™‚

Pudge72 7 years ago

@ Another Steve…what a concept…actual investigative journalism within Canadian sports media? I’ll believe it when I see it. πŸ˜•

• comment-avatar

Listening to Bob MacKenzie on Live Drive last night, the segment started with what seemed like them trying to reassure listeners that TSN will be okay and that Bob MacKenzie has no intentions of leaving.

• comment-avatar

Bob MacKenzie probably doesn’t have intentions of leaving at the moment. However, that’ll likely change when his son (who works at SN) whispers in his ear at a family dinner that his bosses would be interested in his services.

Other than him, I tend to think much of the talent Rogers will have to add for the NHL, will probably be poached from CBC. Friedman, Jim Hughson, Craig Simpson, Glenn Healy, and Don Cherry are probably locks. I believe they’ll try and get Ron MacLean. He can not only do Hockey, but also other things for them.

Nan Young Lee 7 years ago

Listening to Joe Bowen on 590 now. He should do the Leafs games on HNIC not vanilla Jim Hughson. Next season, not in 4 years.

I wonder if Jay and Dan came back to Canada they would now be more inclined to go to Sportsnet.
    One more name – Dan Shulman. Host of NHL on Sportsnet plus Jays TV play by play. The ESPN baseball ratings are tanking. He might not be there long.

I still think the TSN panel is better than the Sportsnet one. Gore Vidal used to say the White House ennobled whoever got elected, even if they were undeserving. Some might say that having the national hockey rights did the same for the TSN panel and then we got used to them. Maybe. Or maybe (my view) they are more talented and do (did?) a better job. For me Kypreos and McLean can be a little too loutish, and the others a little too meh. But maybe $5.2 billion can do a lot of ennobling.

Of course whatever Keith Pelley does will be the right thing. I said in a post he was “very smart”. I should have used the superlative.

• comment-avatar

Is Joe Bowen employed by MLSE? If so, he’s not leaving.

Not sure what kind of term Jay and Dan got at Fox Sports 1, but it’s probably long term, so they’re out.

Would love to see Shulman back, but I don’t see that happening, either. National baseball ratings have stunk for quite some time – he won’t be leaving ESPN because of it. He does a ton of college basketball for them which does do well ratings wise. I also assume he makes an above average wage working for ESPN. He ain’t leaving that gig unless he’s forced to, and I don’t imagine he will be.

• comment-avatar

If this Rogers-NHL deal means much more Millard and much less Duthie then this truly is a sad day

• comment-avatar

This is terrible for the TSN as they basically will lose privilege to broadcasting of NHL games on the Television side. Guess they can still broadcast via the airwaves and discuss/keep the panel? In terms of the CBC they will be hardpressed to keep Don/Ron and their HNIC gig on that channel.. it will all become Rogers property once that short 4-yr deal expires. Not good.