Toronto Sports Media Sports Radio Lineups

by Rob G

Here’s your drive home lineups

On Sportsnet 590 The FAN from 4-7pm, Prime Time Sports with Bob McCown. Stephen Brunt co-hosts from 5pm:

400 – 500 – Elliotte Friedman co-hosts for the hour; Mike Zeisberger, Toronto Sun; Brian Cooper, sports business analyst
500 – 600 – Richard Deitsch, SI.com; Dan Ralph, Ontario Minor Football League
600 – 700 – Steve Moore, former Vancouver Canuck; Jeff Hunt, Ottawa REDBLACKS owner

On TSN Radio 1050 from 4-7pm, TSN Drive with Dave Naylor.

5:00 – Bob McKenzie, TSN hockey insider
5:15 – Dave Naylor (On assignment for TV)
5:30 – Chris Nowinski, CTE Expert
6:00 – Sean Pronger
6:15 – Darren Dreger, TSN hockey insider
6:30 – Jonah Keri, Grantland.com

On TSN (5pm) & TSN2 (6:30pm), Off the Record with Michael Landsberg:

TBD

Today on Sportsline:

TBD

COMMENTS

WORDPRESS: 12
  • comment-avatar

I’m guessing Tim & Sid will devote an entire segment to this today. Maybe with special music.

jamally 6 years ago

Was there any specific reason Sid was on the morning show yesterday?

To me it seems they want to see if Sid can handle waking up at 4am for the eventual morning show change.

Julian 6 years ago

Doubt it’s more than exposing him to a different audience. Again, little need to change much for now at 590, yes, TSN seems have got itself out of the ratings toilet but barely. Until they actually draw even in any timeslot in 25-54, there’s not much the Fan has to do.

I would peg Tim and Sid as the more logical choice to replace Bob in a few years. Not sure where else they can go, and it’s a lot like replacing Don Cherry, it’s way more likely to go awkwardly than smooth. If you can’t see that them being all over PTS regularly is leading to that, not much else I can say would convince you otherwise.

I know some of you see Friedmann as that guy down the line but there’s a big difference between being insightful and being an “entertainer”. They don’t go hand-in-hand and his presence and delivery doesn’t work as a guy running the show and calling the plays. He’s slow as a turtle moving things along and getting thoughts out, but I’m not denying I enjoy his thoughts!

That said, Sid and Andrew sounded smooth this morning, but I enjoy Brady and he’d fit anywhere on that station and it would work.

It’s holidays, same as Blair having Vendetta along beside him. Doing something for a few days doesn’t mean a permanent change is coming.

Huge hockey difference in knowledge between Andrew Walker and Sid. Walker’s impressed me more and more with knowing the sport. It’s obvious hockey is just a “casual interest” of both Tim and Sid. I like diverse sports radio but it’s easy to tell who fakes hockey and who doesn’t.

• comment-avatar

Walker has been a massive upgrade on both Land and Farwell. Used to be that show fell apart without Brady.

• comment-avatar

Somebody brought up Vendetta . . . and I really need to ask: What’s the big deal about this guy? When he’s on The FAN, he comes across like he’s trying to be everybody’s pal. This show sounds like an SCTV-esque skit, ie. The Sammy Maudlin Show.

Nan Young Lee 6 years ago

“There’s not much the Fan has to do”
    Then why did they get Walker to replace Lang? Why did they get rid of the 20/20 updates? Why is Friedman now always on with Bob at 4pm? Why is George Rusic cohosting with Sammut at night after Sammut has been solo all these years? Why is PTS moving to 360 from the main Sportsnet channel in January? And so on…..

I’ve noticed with the last couple of ratings books, the hosts on 590 haven’t done that little song and dance in sotto voce, “We’re not supposed to talk about the ratings but they’re way up.” When PTS and Tim and Sid’s ratings were at their apex, Scott Moore would appear on the shows to crow. He hasn’t done that in a while.

After Kollins took over he said in a newspaper interview with Dowbiggen(Globe and Mail June 24, 2010), “…I need a 10 share in the morning.” How’s that going?

Meanwhile Jeff O’Neill is the local sports media personality of the year. He saved 1050. Enormous growth as a broadcaster over the year. When he started with Tatti he would say 5 words then clam up. Now he has the confidence to take on Bob McKenzie, as he did on the TSN panel last night.
    Leafs Lunch with O’Neill, Noodles and Bryan Hayes is now easily better than the nonsense Hockey Central has devolved into. On a recent show even Leafs VP Dave Poulin seemed to imply he listened to Leafs Lunch(but maybe he does this for every show he’s on). When it came out that Rogers went after James Duthie and that ‘money would not be a problem’ it revealed the brilliant Pelley didn’t think Daren Millard was good enough to be the face of his great coup.

Perhaps if the Jays have a good season it will act as a rising tide and will help reverse 590’s horrible downslide, I mean regression to the mean. Are CHUM FM, CHFI, AM680 and CBC also “regressing to the mean” or is it only 590?

mario 6 years ago

Jeff O’Neal sports personality of the year? That’s one homers opinion…

• comment-avatar

O’neil told funny story today about how gary roberts was busting o’neil’s chops on the radio and o’neil called the producer to ask for “rob’s number.”

The producer gave him the 1050’PD phone number instead of gary roberts and oneil calls and tore him a new one and then realized he had wrong person.

Dave in Bolton 6 years ago

Id like to see Tim and Sid take over the mourning show and have Andrew Walker move into the lead in to PTS. Walker is clearly a rising star at 590 and he needs to get away from Brady, who can go back to Detroit for all I care.

FRIEDGE 6 years ago

Julien,

Sources say you will see Friedman working on his radio presence. I think he’s spending as much time as possible listening to his stuff…he doesn’t get to “practice” as much as the regular hosts do because he has another job, and he’s really the only guy who moves from the No. 2 chair to the No. 1 chair (and back) repeatedly.

If Rogers hires him — and I heard both TSN and CBC will make him offers, too — I could see him wanting to do a lot of radio because he loves it. I know some guys who know him well and they say he knows he’s got work to do and feels he can rise to the challenge once it’s a full-time responsibility.

Darrell 6 years ago

The FAN has a lot more issues than solutions, I think. Like what’s been said already – I don’t understand bringing in Walker to work with Brady + axing Lang, or Sammut now working with Rusic, or a few days ago having Blair working with Vendetta?

I would move Tim + Sid to the morning, move Walker to their slot (with Brady if you “find some use for him”?) and put Sammut back on the overnight programs and please for the love of all that is good in this world DUMP CBS Overnight Radio. I am tired of hearing Scott Ferrall’s scratchy radio voice whenever I turn the radio on at 1 AM in the morning.

Don Mandrie 6 years ago

The best way for Rogers to turn a boring National hockey show around would be to import talent from Canada’s coolest and sexiest city – Montreal.