TSN Radio 1050 Extends Mike Richards

By TSM

I’ll admit I’m surprised that TSN radio has decided to extend their morning man, but hell what do I know?

Multiple sources tell me that Richards, who’s been in the morning drive slot since the station launched, has just signed a new 3 year deal which will keep him in the morning slot.

I’ve been pretty consistent that I don’t like the show; in fact I think it’s the weak link on an otherwise good lineup. In all other slots I think tsn offers a good alternative to the fan. There are absolutely segments on each of the TSN shows that I regularly enjoy as mush as of those on the fan. I can’t say that of the morning show. Do they win every slot, every segment? No. Do I flip between the two stations more frequently after the am show? Yes.

Again, I’m but one voice, clearly the tsn folks see or hear something I don’t when it comes to mornings.

CONGRATS to Richards on the new deal

COMMENTS

WORDPRESS: 11
  • comment-avatar
    mario 6 years ago

Yes congrats on the on the new deal. Iam with you TSM also surprised on this as well. I listen to the Fan most of the day and do flip but keep going back to Brady / Walker in this time slot don’t find him funny at all. Just my opinion.

• comment-avatar
    Lee (Oakville) 6 years ago

I don’t mind Richards as a personality, though I can understand how he can be polarizing. As well, his ratings have been steadily improving which is critical for a relatively new entity like TSN Radio. Not overly surprised if the extension news proves to be correct.

• comment-avatar
    Dave in Bolton 6 years ago

Would rather have a team of Hogan and Lang in the mornings and move Richards to late nights after Game night with Tatti

• comment-avatar

I’d rather listen to Jeff Lumby than Richards. He sucks and is not funny at all! He must have pictures of higher ups blowing goats!

• comment-avatar
    Sam in Scarb 6 years ago

Actually,Richards is knowledgeable and listenable.It’s Batil (whom brings absolutely nothing to the show) and that idiot sean whom laughs at EVERY word Richards says that makes me switch at lightening speed.

• comment-avatar
    Poker Guy 6 years ago

I am disappointed, but not shocked that he was extended. If they were going to let him go, they would have done it sooner. So, the longer he was in the slot, the more likely it would be that he’d stick around. I have voiced my displeasure in the past regarding this guy, with his “comedy” bits. However, since I don’t like Greg Brady either, I would listen to TSNR only because I find that the insiders are worth listening to.
    To Sam in Scarb–that laughing bafoon Sean Lavigne adds 0 to a show, that doesn’t have much to begin with. Bastl isn’t too bad. However, it looks like it’s these 3 for the forseeable future, and that’s too bad.

• comment-avatar

“Richard’s has to be the biggest benefactor of the move of the Toronto maple leafs to the split season between 1050 and 590. Those who listen to the game on their drive home are not likely to change the channel before turning the car off and are more likely to have that channel on for their am drive.”

This would make perfect sense if the 1050 signal could be heard outside of Metro Toronto once the sun goes down. Fact is, it can’t be – and most people still commuting when the Leaf game starts likely live outside the GTA, where 1050 is static by 6:30 – 7:00PM.

• comment-avatar
    Westdale Rocks 6 years ago

For me, some of the Richards schtick works: Al Montoya is hilarious. Victor Newman’s Passionate Picks are really funny. Pierre Maguire and Darren Dreger are great guests, as are the openings. But the VERY annoying Candace Devais has got to go. Whoever hired her needs to re-evaluate that decision—awful voice and no idea how to communicate to the listeners. Over on the Fan, Brady’s voice is whiny and Walker just loves the sound of his own voice. Both are very annoying.

• comment-avatar
    Chris Richardson 5 years ago

Mike Richards was a “religion” in Calgary. Always put a smile on our face,made us chuckle and knows his SPORTS. Toronto is lucky to have him!

• comment-avatar
    tj fletcher 5 years ago

No loss with Richards Away. Morning show has always been a HUGE disappointment, the voice on the update girl is as abnoxious as Richards always talking about rye wiskey and women, low budget and the audience reflects that of such a dirty old man…not funny! Send him back to Calgary or Oshawa ! TSN deserves better and their announcers other than Hayes is a reach and is schockingly terrible. Naylor is OK…BUT…McCown is king…naylor should know as his screen writer.
    George Cope should take a serious look at this division and dictate and implement change!

• comment-avatar
    R Chablis 5 years ago

Opinions are like… well, you know. Pleasing all of the people, all of the time, is hard to do (if not impossible). My suspicion is, those who don’t like Richards take life/sports too seriously.

But as I say, opinions are like… well, CRITICS. You’ll find them everywhere. Must be nice to be able to stand in judgment of other people’s hard work, and spell obnoxious with an “a”.