Barkley & McCown

barkley

by Rob G

Had a chuckle to myself after posting my comment to TSM’s rant yesterday. TSM perfectly summarized my thoughts. “I am certainly not hearing the type of information I want to hear”, he said. He questioned whether this is a function of getting old. Some said in the comments section that was the case. I’m not so sure, but that’s a discussion for another day.

My comment to his rant referred to my “writer’s block” for posting on this site, driven primarily by uninspiring sports radio. Ironically, while on the road doing my real job today, I heard something I wanted to make sure you were aware of. Inspiration struck at the corner of Kennedy & Lawrence. Go figure.

Tim & Sid had Charles Barkley on as a guest in the 2 o’clock hour. Do yourself a favour and give it a listen. Barkley was his usual self, if you care for his schtick. Two things stood out for me. One was his comment regarding Miami Heat fans. “Miami fans are only front runners”, he said. He was very impressed with the Toronto fans, not only at the ACC, but more so the crowd outside. His best take was regarding the hyperbole heard in the media today regarding players. So many good players are referred to as great players, when they really aren’t. So true.

Finally, I had to chuckle listening to Grumpy McCown today. He was going on about how the Blue Jays were wearing cold weather gear last season in an early season series in Detroit, amongst the gear being balaclavas. The intimation was that they were wimps. This coming from a guy that rarely misses an opportunity to share with us lately about his “kick-ass” barbecue currently in the final stages of installation, which amongst other things, will be enclosed and heated in the winter to allow him to barbecue year round. Bobcat, join the rest of us on our deck on a cold January night, barbecuing our steak between the 1st and 2nd period (after Coach’s Corner), during a lovely Canadian winter. Man up!

Pot, allow me to introduce you to kettle. Fade to black.

COMMENTS

WORDPRESS: 7
  • comment-avatar
    Jimmy 5 years ago

Tim and Sid are my favourite sports radio show around. I did read TSM’s rant as a direct criticism of them: they often try to joke around and veer far from the subject through the course of the show. I’m maybe a little bit younger than you guys, but not by much. I feel they strike a good balance between making me laugh and giving insight into the world of sport. And they do a much better job of breaking down all the major sports than any other show.

• comment-avatar
    Another Steve 5 years ago

I think it was the 3pm hour.

• comment-avatar
    Mullah_Kintyre 5 years ago

If you want “information”, why are you listening to radio in 2014? Use the internet for information. Radio is for entertainment. I like that there is guys who make fun of all the idiots in the sports world who take themselves way too seriously. Someone needs to do it, although I can understand everyone may not like some of the acts. I think of it like the late night TV talk show hosts. There may be one or two you can watch, and the rest you can take or leave, or purposefully avoid because you find them annoying.

• comment-avatar
    Raptors Devotee 5 years ago

I must be immature, and my real age is not approaching 50, but 17, as I like Tim and Sid. My only issue though is a big one, with the sophomoric and annoying sound effects they employ. If they could tone those down, the show would work much better for me.

• comment-avatar
    Drumanchor 5 years ago

@ Jimmy.

I was one of the old coots who went off on Tim and Sid yesterday. However, I do very much agree with what you say in how they do a very good job of breaking dow all of the major sports. As I said, when they are on their game, they are excellent.

When they veer of and talk about farts for 20 minutes – not so much.

• comment-avatar

In the previous post I commented that I did not like Tim and Sid at all but I have to give them credit for their interview with Sir Charles. The interview was well done….they solicited his opinion on the relevancy of the Raptors….they asked him questions I would have asked (ie. If it is true that players don’t want to come up here to play) and they included him in there ‘cut or uncut’ bit which which worked really well. If we are talking about the quality of guests the various shows have it must be noted that while Tim and Sid had Barkley on the show for a good 20 minutes ….. The Richards show only did a small one minute bit with someone doing an impression of Barkley.

• comment-avatar
    Wefewee 5 years ago

Enough of Butch Carter on PTS, ah right?