Sorry, Sorry, Sorry, Sorry

By TSM

Newish Job, Newish City, New school, New House and all that comes with has finally caught up with me.

I’ve been slammed.

I’m sorry…..

But……

The end is near – I think.

We move into our own place soon and suddenly my time should be mine again.

Emphasis on should….

Then we will be back on track- I promise.

So… I am sorry.

In the meantime- there was a good old fashion tiwtter MSM fight tonight between James Mirtle and Steve Simmons.

Screen Shot 2014-05-20 at 11.27.13 PM

Screen Shot 2014-05-20 at 11.28.28 PM

Jonah

COMMENTS

WORDPRESS: 22
  • comment-avatar

Why do journalists in general make an ass of themselves on Twitter? I find that for me being familiar with their persona on Twitter often detracts from their actual written work. I often wonder why their employers are not more concerned.

• comment-avatar

Sadly, I have to agree with Simmons here. One journalist shouldn’t be criticizing another journalist without having read the actual piece, and seen the quotes in context. Mirtle lost the moral high ground and gave Simmons an easy way out.

• comment-avatar
    McLean_Deluxe 6 years ago

Mirtle clearly said he read Dellow’s piece which broke down the entire article anyways. He did not miss a single point by not giving Simmons the satisfaction of an extra view.

• comment-avatar

For those not reading the link – Dean Blundell is going to cohost Blair’s show tomorrow. Kind of an audition apparently.

Denial 6 years ago

For the last several months, I’ve kind of been looking for a foothold to give me a compelling moral reason to remove the Fan 590 from my radio preset buttons (with my talent for laziness, this is all it takes for me to forget that a radio station exists).

The tired, predictable glib-fest between McCown and Cox — i.e. the one where they BOTH have a sub-text that goes “wow, I can’t believe we’re getting away with this” — got me close to the edge.

And the mindless hockey central at noon ‘analysis’ (“the team that scores more goals than the other team has a very good chance of winning the game”) pushed me as far as I’d ever been — farther than even Andrew Krystal.

But now, as Blundell is poised to make his (???) sports broadcaster review, I have just one thing to say to the Sportsnet interns who read these blogs and report back: bye.

TSN Radio, you’ve got me by Homer Simpson’s “two” favorite words in the English language: default! default! default!

• comment-avatar

I wonder if Blundell is ‘auditioning’ to be Blair’s cohost, or if his hire would mean he’d host at a different part of the day? Brady, Walker and Blundell?

• comment-avatar

@Denial – That might be the post of the year.

Mike V 6 years ago

If this ends up being more than a one-off, this is a much worse of an idea than giving Andrew Krystal mornings was. Wonder how Blair feels about doing this.

Derrick 6 years ago

Let’s at least give Dean a chance. Judge him on his performance, not on what he has done in the past. Who knows, maybe he’ll surprise us.

• comment-avatar

Blundell’s tryout ended at 11:00 AM and within 15 minutes the people at 590 had sent out a new survey about him

Mike V 6 years ago

At least they didn’t (well, AFAIK they didn’t) cobble together 50 listeners in a room and have them turn dials during the show, like CNN during debates.

• comment-avatar

Early last week the Canada-Czech Republic round robin game at the World Hockey Championships was aired on 1050…………but as far as I know they have not aired any of Canada’s games since then………..this afternoon Canada is playing Finland in the quarterfinals but the game is not on 1050

As I have said before, when it comes to programming decisions sometimes I get the impression that the people at 1050 are making it up as they go along

• comment-avatar

I dunno. I thought Blundell was fine. Probably pretty good for his first attempt at sports radio.

I think people forget sometimes that there is a schtick to radio, and Blundell isn’t going to do the same stuff he did on The Edge while he’s at The Fan. Different jobs with different needs, I’d think.

He showed more sports knowledge than Krystal ever did, at least.

Denial 6 years ago

@Curt: thanks – but the year is young. Just when you figure MSM can’t set the bar any lower, they find a way. It’s kind of like The Little Red Engine that *Couldn’t*.

I’m not here to argue against Blundell’s right to earn a living. In fact, I’ve always been one of those (really annoying) people who remind others that they actually have a choice if they don’t like what’s on TV or the radio — they can find another station. Or they can turn it off and sing the Meow Mix song until EMS comes. Or whatever.

So that’s all I’m doing. I don’t like what the Fan 590 has done here — I think Don Collins is, once again, trying to cater to the ‘young/hip/edgy’ (read: illiterate fucktard) market, and while I was willing to wince and tolerate that with Krystal, and to a growing extent Tim & Sid (they started out so great, but now it’s just that bloody air horn every 2 seconds…they used to be a sports program with occasional wit, and now they just use sports as an *excuse* to get their zingers out there…it’s almost as if sports is just in the way of their comedy routine…I GOT TROUBLE ON MY MIND)

Anyway, my point is that I’m following my own advice and changing the channel. In fact, I did so. Yeah, I’ll still manually go to 590 (are instructions for this in my car owner’s manual?) for Jays games on occasion, and for the Raptors next year as well.

But as far as everything else goes, it’s TSN 590, and to a lesser extent, WGR 550 (listening to them eviscerate the Bills and Sabres is therapeutic…it’s more fun when the company that owns the team doesn’t own the station)

Clair A Fye 6 years ago

I think Denial hit the nail on the head with his analysis…bit of a Freudian slip saying “it’s TSN 590″… ? I didn’t hear Dean but he’s a professional so I would expect he’d be very good first time out. The time to judge him is after a month or so when he has to show he actually does know what he’s talking about. If he doesn’t, he’ll revert to what he knows best, and that’s the crap he was doing that got him fired. That’s when I’ll be listening.

• comment-avatar

The 6pm PTS was a good example that the show can still deliver.

One segment w patrick rhuby about the new painkiller lawsuit vs nfl.

One segment with Cyd Ziegler discussing Derrick Gordon situation at Umass.

I doubt we woukd havegotten the quality ofthose segments with cox or shannon or butch as vo host.

Derrick 6 years ago

What’s with the hate for Butch? As a former college and professional athlete I would’ve appreciated his point of view.

• comment-avatar

Butch would have probably asked how the team prayer group might be affected by having a gay athlete in the locker room.

• comment-avatar

Lots of good stuff on Blundell in tomorrow’s column. Go Jays!

Denial 6 years ago

@Clair: Hmmm…not sure if Freud would certify it as a slip, but maybe you’re right. Perhaps it’s less of a slip and more of a prophecy though — with Bell and Rogers cradling each other in the same Leafs backyard blow-up pool, who knows what they’ll do with their respective radio stations?

As for Butch…his behind the scenes stories are interesting, but it would be really great if he took some broadcast training (if you’re listening to him while playing a drinking game and “Right?” is somewhere on your list, you will be buzzed within 4 minutes and dead within 10).

@Denial, or “correct”