Changes At TSN Radio

By TSM

Happy Sunday all!

So changes in the air at TSN radio as Robert Gray will be handing over the reigns of TSN radio Toronto to Jeff MacDonald, most recently of the NHL Network. Grey will be heading back to Vancouver but not to be the pd of the Vancouver TSN station, but rather to be an uber revenue and ratings guru for all the TSN radio properties.

What does it mean?

Hard to say.

What I’d like to think it means is that TSN will start to look to it’s radio properties as real media outlets and not just promo tools for their tv network. They have good talent and the medium to deliver quality content when it happens. They’ve actively chosen not to do that in the past. Let’s see of it makes a difference. Having a hockey guy I there should be interesting too.

I’ll say this, there was an article the other day about the future of TSN now that they no longer have hockey games on the tv side. The article in the star in my mind missed the biggest point; their website is an embarrassing joke. I no longer even go check it as the content is simply irrelevant. All it really is, is a billboard for the tv network. It needs to be and could be so much better- Sportsnet kills it.

Later

Bob Roper
Bob Roper
June 1, 2014 10:01 pm

Allan Waters must be rolling over in his grave. What has happened to this radio station since he sold it is an absolute travesty.

Neal
Neal
June 1, 2014 10:05 pm

When they expanded to five stations across the country (Edmonton, Montreal, Toronto, Ottawa, Winnipeg), I figured that they would be treated more of a network rather than five “islands”. That just hasn’t happened. The only presence of a radio network, ironically enough, is when they have one of the personalities go on CTV Newschannel in the morning hours and talk sports with the anchor on a rotating basis. That’s the only national exposure they get. Like you mentioned, maybe that will change now.

June 1, 2014 10:09 pm

the problem with the website is not just about content. the layout is impenetrable. an endless series of small boxes with even smaller headlines all crammed together into fixed columns. just awful.

Neal
Neal
June 1, 2014 10:24 pm

I happen to like TSN’s website. I can get Jays highlights right away on the right side of the layout. Within 2 clicks, I get the MLB scores and standings. Quick and easy and it doesn’t need to be a sports picasa. And the long-form articles are right there on the screen. No need to scroll down looking for information.

Steve
Steve
June 1, 2014 10:37 pm

TSN’s website has LONGFORM articles? LOL

Nan Young Lee
Nan Young Lee
June 2, 2014 12:40 am

Maybe TSN keeps the website layout because they’re happy with the traffic it gets. The recent poll question about the Habs’ unrestricted free agents has over 11000 votes. Also the number of comments for various articles can sometimes reach 25 to 30 pages. These are numbers you don’t see at Sportsnet.ca (yet?).

Has some brain dead simpleton hacked Damien Cox’s twitter account?

Damien Cox @DamoSpin · 56m
Ok boys, we get the point. Now get ‘er done. Fast.

Damien Cox @DamoSpin · 52m
And the insanity continues. What fun!

Damien Cox @DamoSpin · 45m
Kings-Rangers for all the marbles, here we go!

Now that Ron MacLean is working for Rogers maybe they can send him to cover the World Cup in Brazil. What he could do with “Kaka” and “Messi”.

The great Leon Wieseltier is even smarter than Brunt. Not specifically about sports but you might use the “idolatry of numbers” or “information-knowledge-method” to inform some thoughts on sports topics.

Mullah_Kintyre
Mullah_Kintyre
June 2, 2014 2:00 pm

Just in case it hasn’t been mentioned here already — Blundell is on NewsTalk1010 this week, so I doubt his time on 590 was anything except the “guest” temporary arrangement it was called at the time, since he’s now doing the same thing on a different station, one owned by Bell and not Rogers.

yaz
yaz
June 2, 2014 8:37 pm

I never go to the TSN Website. Worse is the little button on my damn controller that when I accidentally hit it, something called ‘TSN Extra’ hijacks my screen. Extra pain in the ass to get it back to regular TV.

Am I missing something? There isn’t a TSN Radio station in Vancouver.

Claire A Fye
Claire A Fye
June 2, 2014 9:16 pm

@yaz Team 1040 isn’t branded TSN (yet) but it’s owned by Bell

kyle
kyle
June 2, 2014 10:18 pm

this is not necessarily radio, but it is TSN related; Randorf leaving for Rogers and hockey. and Romanuk is coming back?!?

Andrew
Andrew
June 3, 2014 11:52 am

Does this mean what it looks to mean?

“Greg Brady ‏@bradyfan590 16m

All the best in the future. Good luck in your move! Thanks for everything. @DonKollins21”

From Twitter

June 3, 2014 12:39 pm

Andrew – we should have details shortly, but my guess is that he’s falling upwards.