Toronto Sports Media Radio Ratings Preview

By TSM

So I haven’t seen the full books yet and all I have seen in part is the morning stuff between Brady/walker and Richards.

Here is what I’m told so far: Brady/Walker lead over Richards is 1 share point for male audience 18-49 and 2 points share for males 25-54.

The fan morning show has seen some of it not it’s highest numbers ever while at the same time seeing it’s competition generate strong numbers as well. It’s a good news story for the fan.

At TSN it’s also good news as they’ve significantly cut Into the lead. They are in second place, at least on this book the leader is in sight.

What does it mean??

Well, it’s all we have so it’s the system. I’ve written over and over what a lousy system it is but it’s bad for everyone.

Why the spikes? Personally I’d think the Raptors run helped all as well as the nhl playoffs. Interesting to see what effect the jays being on only one network has on both stations. I’d suspect the fan will soar as the jays do and TSN the opposite.

I should have the full report this week

COMMENTS

WORDPRESS: 39
  • comment-avatar

If it is true that the morning numbers for 1050 have improved that much in the last year or two then I am really surprised…………I don’t know anyone who listens to the Richards show but I guess there must be a fair amount of people who do………..if both shows are doing well they must be taking listeners away from some of the other non-sports stations

• comment-avatar

I also don’t listen to Richards, and I don’t listen to Brady Walker either. But when other stations are on commercial I’ll give the Fan first dibs over TSN. I like little things like worst tweet, or follow unfollow on Twitter. But for actual sports talk the Fan is just Brady and Walker yelling over each other, but not in a discussion or argument. It’s just them agreeing with each other and patting each other on the back. Brady can’t stand to be wrong and makes up red herring arguments to win against himself. TSN I go to for their expert interviews like Dan Schulman. There’s a guy whose opinion feels like it matters.

• comment-avatar
    Chris 7 years ago

I used to find Mike Richards annoying, but he has grown on me and I find myself choosing his show over Brady and Walker. Richards typically has better guests and though some of his skits are tired, some are pretty funny.

Like AP said in an earlier post, I feel Brady and Walker yell over each other and come off too arrogant and cocky. The latter is also evident with their Tweets. For whatever reason, they just seem a little to douchey for me as it feels like they look down their noses at everyone else.

I listen to the Fan over TSN in every other timeslot, just not the morning drive.

• comment-avatar

For those of you who crave exhibition football on the radio the people at 1050 have you covered………..they will be airing the Argos-Bombers game tonight instead of game 3 of the Stanley Cup Final

This brings back fond memories of last year when 1050 aired an Argos pre-season game instead of game 7 of the epic Spurs-Heat NBA Finals series, although they were nice enough to switch to the basketball game after the Argos game was over

• comment-avatar

@ Mike, truly mind boggling.

• comment-avatar

The link I posted a couple times has The Fan leading TSN 6.7 to 2.9 in M25-54 overall.

So if Richards is right behind Brady/Walker, the rest of the day for TSN must be well behind to pull them down overall that much.

(Another) Andrew 7 years ago

So assuming they have exclusive local rights to the SCF on radio does that mean it’s not broadcast? I’m thinking here about truck drivers, night workers, etc, who can’t watch it on TV.

• comment-avatar

You’d think they would shuttle it to another bell station. They do that in nyc, with stuff moving to other cbs station during conflicts on wfan.

Mike V 7 years ago

The previous post by MiB had the 25-54 demo at 8.5-4.9, so is the Brady/Walker lead 3.6 or 2?

• comment-avatar

Is it just me or does anyone else enjoy when Ken Reid is Bob’s co-host for PTS? I could see Reid with his own very popular talk show in the near future.

• comment-avatar

Ken Reid is good. I never watch Connected but he is always good on Tim and Sid and I enjoyed him with Bob today. I don’t know how he would be at carrying a show but as a co-host he shines.

Mullah_Kintyre 7 years ago

Oddly, I remember that night about a year ago even though I don’t pay attention to CFL or NBA. I happened to be going along Bloor Street and saw the 5000 seats at Varsity Centre almost full (apparently including Mayor Crackhead and his brother as I heard later on), and switched on radio for a couple of minutes to hear it was pre-season CFL with announcer saying they would be switching to NBA in progress.

Drumanchor 7 years ago

Not much PTS bashing of late, so I thought I might throw in my two cents on Matt Devlin.

Like him. A lot.

He is polished, knowledgeable and listens well without jumping in to hear his own voice. At the risk of piling on, a marked improvement over Butch Carter (who I believe, given time, will be much better one day).

sinnacle 7 years ago

Agree with Drumanchor

Matt Devlin was great on PTS. I also hope he gets to do a few Blue Jays game again like he did last year.

• comment-avatar

Ditto on the Matt Devlin and Ken Reid comments. They are both very good as PTS co-hosts. Hope they are on more frequently over the summer.

• comment-avatar

It sounds like 1050 will be airing most of the World Cup games live………that means over the next few weeks large portions of Naylor’s show and Hayes’ show will be pre-empted

Nan Young Lee 7 years ago

The Buffalo News has a regular media column by Alan Pergament. I was surprised by this:

“According to NBC, Buffalo was the No. 2 market in the country Sunday for NBC’s coverage of Manchester City winning its second Premier League title in three years with a 2-0 win over West Ham United on the day 10 Premier League games were carried simultaneously on 10 different NBCUniversal TV networks.

Buffalo averaged a 1.13 rating on Sunday on Channel 2, which was second only to the 1.42 rating on the NBC affiliate in the Seattle market. The rest of the top five were Richmond, Washington, D.C. and Knoxville, Tennessee.”

Buffalo, Richmond and Knoxville? Who knew that was where soccer would get big ratings.

Nan Young Lee 7 years ago

And the NY Times had a piece on hockey ratings in Buffalo. I knew Buffalo was a good sports town, but I didn’t think it was this strong. What a shame is they lose the Bills.

Nan Young Lee 7 years ago

So are these new ratings for the Fan and the Jays on TV correct? I remember some on the Fan questioning the CFL ratings on TSN. Was there some problem with the BBM methodology that has been improved or are the ratings accurate only when Rogers employees says they are?

Sam in Scarb 7 years ago

@ Nan Lee…ratings can be dissected,twisted and turned into what looks more favorable to the company.Remember ratings are what SELLS ad revenue.
    As a wise man one said:
    ” A good accountant can turn a 20% profit into a 20% loss come tax time”

• comment-avatar

Buffalo seems to always be high in sports ratings, same with Richmond VA

Raptors Devotee 7 years ago

Reid has an easy going style with a wealth of sports knowledge and charisma. He will never be the lead, but with the right partner playing that role, would be an excellent #2.

Devlin is as dry as paint, and I have never taken to him being the Raptors play-by-play guy. His knowledge of the game is just O.K. He does possess a solid voice, and as a result is able to get some American gigs as well. I was not impressed in the least when he called some Jays games last year, added squat.

Kamlesh 7 years ago

Many TSN radio stations across the country are carrying the World Cup games. Maybe because PTS is popular across the nation when Bob talks about the tournament it will act an advertisement for these stations for those who can’t watch the matches live, and increase listeners. They will be using PTS the way astronomers use the gravity of a planet to “slingshot” to trajectory of a satellite.

(Another) Andrew 7 years ago

TSN and RDS have Formula One rights for the next five years.

Press Release

For much of the last decade it has been unclear until a couple of months, sometimes just weeks, before the new season started until we got confirmation that TSN would indeed be covering that year’s F1 so it is interesting to suddenly see a long term deal. I guess a desperate TSN wants to nail down every sport it can to stay relevant. (F1 gets good ratings, especially when you consider the time zone issues).

Even if you do not follow F1 you probably won’t be surprised to learn that TSN mails in their F1 coverage these days. They used to have a pre and post-race show with Vic Rauter speaking to the Toronto Star’s Gerry Donaldson live from the circuit. They stopped that about 5 or 6 years ago and just went to a British TV feed minutes before the race and sometimes cut off the post-race ceremony to go to Dave Hodge’s show. Of course, TSN has been mailing it in for all events not taking place in Canada (other than NHL) for years now by simply outsourcing all the work to foreign networks. Canadian TV coverage of Indycars has improved significantly since Rogers took over from TSN.

• comment-avatar

re Jays ratings – they drew about a million people last friday, apparently:

That’s … insane considering it’s June. September in a race would be nuts.

• comment-avatar

I presume the onkly way the world cup is discussed on pts is if sid or blair are hosting.

• comment-avatar

@ Alex, one can only pray!

• comment-avatar

I hope TSN does try and put some effort into the F1 coverage in the years to come – seeing as how they might have some extra cash they can spend.

Like Andrew said, I used to enjoy the homegrown prerace with Vic and Gerry. I’ve never understood why TSN just doesn’t pick up the whole BBC feed, or failing that, work out a deal with SkyF1.

(Another) Andrew 7 years ago

It’s hard to believe it would cost much, if any, more to pick up the entire feed.

Meanwhile CBC’s World Cup coverage is off to a terrible start. First, they are using the bland official FIFA commentary feed using commentators British TV got rid of decades ago. Second, following the laughable penalty awarded to Brazil in the first match against Croatia – there were other bad decisions too, ALL in Brazil’s favour – no mention of it by the milquetoast CBC analysts post-match. The British commentators on ESPN were livid. Apparently, on French TV they’ve already questioned the integrity of the result with a reference to FIFA’s, ahem, reputation. I guess CBC would rather not go there.

• comment-avatar

TSN”s extended coverage of World Cup soccer officially begins its era as ‘The Second Network’ – unless Bell buys the Bills ( which, I for one, hope they do, & you can bet George Cope is having many sleepless nights figuring out how to do it to counterpunch Rogers to win a round – though Rogers still wins the fight ) I can’t see how they overcome that. I’ve said before I think the Rogers deal is good for Toronto hockey fans and good for sports fans: more national games per week means better quality hosts and higher production value more often & TSN will expand its global coverage of every other sport. Hockey resoundingly beats the Toronto sports radio drum and Rogers will beat with it. Imagine how a scroll during Coaches corner might affect 590 or other Rogers sports radio: ‘Don Cherry live on Brady & Walker tomorrow at 7:20’ ? Vs Richards trumpeting Soccer, F1 or NCAA Division III Women’s Badminton in a Victor Newman voice?

Can’t wait to see the rest of the ratings come out.

dave in bolton 7 years ago

590 better have Walker on a long term deal bc you can bet TSN sooner rather then later is gonna come calling. He is by far the best well after McCown at interviews on that station and its not even close. Gonna predict sometime this year Walker ends up at TSN 1050 in the 4pm timeslot challenging the Bobcat

(Another) Andrew 7 years ago

The commentator situation on CBC’s coverage of the World Cup has improved markedly today. It might just be a problem with John Helm (probably well into his 70s by now and totally out of touch) who did the Brazil v Croatia match yesterday.

I heard a couple of minutes of Shannon on PTS the other day. He said Rory McIlroy’s ex-girlfriend won her tennis match that day. He seems to have confused Caroline Wozniacki, who didn’t play, with the Canadian Aleksandra Wozniak, who did play and won.

• comment-avatar

For those of you who like Ken Reid you can hear him on today’s PTS roundtable along with McCown, Shannon, and Perkins

(Another) Andrew 7 years ago

Ken Reid just had a go at soccer because of diving. I agree. The diving in soccer has been annoying me for 30 years! But…he then implied that in hockey it is different. That used to be the case – before the mid-90s I’m guessing – that divers in hockey were looked down on. In the 90s Cherry made a big deal out of Russians in particular doing it and I agreed with him. But today virtually everybody in the NHL, including those “good Canadian boys”, is a diver. They go down every time they have an opportunity to do so.

• comment-avatar

Shannon was pretty good on mvsw today discussing how to grow the nhl, given that big american fanbases often tune out when their team is no longer in playoffs.

Nan Young Lee 7 years ago

Surprising ratings for World Cup vs hockey in US and Canada:

“Retweeted by Greg Brady
    Steve Lepore @stevelepore · 10h
    Brazil-Croatia drew a higher overnight rating than either of the Stanley Cup Final games on NBCSN.”

“Greg Brady @bradyfan590 · 3h
    More than TWICE as many Canadians watched Brazil/Croatia on CBC at 4p eastern on a Thursday as did Kings/NYR Game 2 Saturday. Incredible.”

“Greg Brady ‏@bradyfan590
    Highest Canadiens/Rangers CBC ratings were just over 4 million. So about 1.2M less than Brazil/Croatia, & with benefit of primetime.”

• comment-avatar

(Another) Andrew, I also heard Reid going on about the diving (pulling my hair out at the high-and-mighty attitude); and Cherry mentioned it too – after Zucarello flopped when Doughty cross-checked him in the first. not giving the soccer diving a pass, but they ain’t the only ones..

• comment-avatar

Yep I tried to give Ken Reid a chance yesterday because of comments in this thread. Then I realized he’s just another hockey puck. I guess he’ll do well with Rogers.

• comment-avatar

Prob a numberof factors for us soccercratings.

Espn vs nbcsn is partbif it.

Soccer is a nattional fan base vs regional one for hockey.

It was the first game. And it involves brazil.