Seen & Heard – Spring Ratings Edition

Seen & Heard – Spring Ratings Edition

by mike in boston – @mikeinboston – hatemailaccount / gmail / com

I really want to talk about the NCAA as well as the Sterling on again – off again lawsuit but those will have to wait until next week. The ratings came out this week and TSM and I are pleased to bring them to you for dissection and analysis.

Radio Ratings

At long last we have an updated picture of how the Toronto sports radio competition is shaking out. Here are the ratings for MALES 25-54. This is the average of March, April, and May:

• Brady & Walker: 8.5

• TSN Drive with Dave Naylor: 2.0

• FAN 590 7-11pm: 7.2
  • TSN 1050 7-11pm: 5.3

• FAN 590 11-1am: 3.8
  • TSN 1050 11-1am: 3.9

Some quick takeaways:

1. The FAN is really strong throughout its entire line-up. All hosts are clearly holding their audiences and no show is struggling. One interesting thing to note is how little variation there is between the daytime shows. The top rated show (B&W) has an 8.5 while the lowest rated show (Blair) has a 7.4. I’m not sure what, if anything, follows from this, but I would have expected the gaps to be larger.

Notice also that PTS and Tim & Sid seem to command similar percentage of the audience, and that B&W are outperforming PTS in terms of share. As much heat as Don Kollins (if that is his real name) gets on this site, his bosses have to be happy with the overall strength of the station in the face of TSN’s entry into the market.

2. TSN 1050 cannot be happy with these numbers. They are getting thoroughly trounced in every daytime slot, except for the morning show. I imagine that when the radio station launched TSN believed that their TV name brand would spill over to the radio side and help eliminate the FAN’s lead. That has simply not happened.

3. TSN 1050 is building their audience but they have a lot of work ahead of them. The good news is that no show is a complete ratings flop that calls for immediate termination. The success of Mike Richards is hard to fathom but there it is. It’s a far cry from his laughable claim to have wiped out the FAN’s 22 year head-start, but he has a respectable number (the only one at TSN radio) and has been steadily growing. That reflects, in my opinion, the fact that the morning show has been the only stable slot since TSN 1050 launched.

It will be very interesting to see if stability in the other time slots leads to ratings rewards. I think the first 3 years are essentially a grace period for TSN, but that they need to show year over year growth going forward.

4. PTS has lost a lot of audience. This will not come as a surprise to most regular listeners. Bob has surrounded himself with people who bring out the worst in him, and until that changes then the quality of the show will continue to suffer.

The most surprising thing to me is that Naylor’s show hasn’t picked up more PTS deserters. It’s early still — his show is only 15 months old — and I expect that stability in that slot will lead to bigger shares in the future. People are stuck in their cars in ever increasing numbers and the average PTS show is not very engaging currently. Remember that Bob is well past the age of the coveted demographic. I think you’re seeing that reflected in his numbers, as well as in the success of Brady’s show since the younger Walker was brought in.

5. Both morning shows are benefitting from Leafs/Raptors radio rights. This is not surprising. A lot of people tune in to hear about last night’s results, and in many cases they will do that based on having caught the 1st period in the car on the way home. So both stations are getting a lot of “passive” audience share in the morning. Given the Bell/Rogers MLSE relationship, this will likely continue going forward. Rogers, though, will get a boost from increased Jays listenership over the summer. Bell will want to counter that in the long run, and I’m not sure the CFL is the answer.

6. If you had the 11pm to 1am slot in the pool, you win. Last week I asked which TSN show had the best chance of beating the FAN in a book. Does anyone know what happens on either station at those hours? Congratulations to someone at TSN for winning a ratings battle.

—-

Tons of interesting stuff here. I’m not in the radio industry so my analysis may be way off. I welcome corrections in the comments or via email. I’m working on getting comments from Rob Gray of TSN radio, as well as comments from the incoming PD for TSN 1050. I will also continue to reach out to Don Kollins for comment.

Thanks for reading,

COMMENTS

WORDPRESS: 62
  • comment-avatar

Hockeycentral at Noon is certainly not 2.5 times better than Leafs Lunch… I think it would help Leafs Lunch to have Ferraro come on in the noon hour. Usually he’s on later than that – presumably because he’s on the West Coast.

• comment-avatar

Kudos to these morning shows. I’ve tuned out both since Brady and Walker and Richards, and moved to 1010 Newstalk. But I guess others are tuning in.

• comment-avatar
    Chunky 7 years ago

Richards ratings are proof that if you tell everyone that you’re hilarious and your co host acts like your hilarious then people might actually think your hilarious.

I think the Hayes/Tim & Sid battle is the most interesting. I’m a big fan of both and I almost wish they could tie so that no one loses their gig.

I wonder at what point the podcasts are going to start coming into play. I’m sure both shows do well but to this point neither company seems to have tried to monetize their podcasts.

Nan Young Lee 7 years ago

This old post shows Bob was averaging around 11.0 a year ago. Tim and Sid have fallen from last year too. Brady and Lang did have a couple of good months too, but no 3 month average wasn’t as high as for Brady and Walker.

Julian 7 years ago

Great look at where things are really at, Mike In Boston. A few quick observations:

1. Not sure where all the morning sports listeners have come from. Can numbers for the last days of Stellick and Landry be dug up? Or even Andrew Kristal? Always thought Fan morning show was in the 4’s or 5’s, now you have a show headed towards 9’s, and the competition is almost a 5. Without a lot of help from the sports teams, ok, two weeks of Raptors playoff games, and still, the NBA isn’t going to really electrify Toronto unless you can get out of the 1st round. It’s pretty amazing. I’m sure Blundell not being on 102.1 and listeners tuning out Q107 is helpful to Brady/Walker. It’s a better show than a year ago, and I honestly don’t think it’s close.

2. Yes, Naylor’s numbers and ratings have to be an utter disappointment. He gets a commercial on TV almost every commercial break for his show. So like I’ve argued about Richards, it’s not like people don’t know the station exists or the show exists. They do, and they don’t care. But obviously, a ton more people are listening to sports in the morning drive in Toronto, than in afternoon drive.

3. Tim and Sid should be doing better. Were people really thinking it was great and the “next wave” in the show’s first 12-18 months, and now they don’t? I don’t hear it enough so I’m curious. Like, what else is on at that time for Men 25-54 to get their attention besides news or rock and roll? Honestly, given the lack of competition in that slot, I’d be disappointed getting less than a 10 or 11 share given people do know who they are. It’s harder to post those numbers in the morning or afternoon drive because every station spends money on those slots, and many don’t in mid-afternoons.

4. The link to the Feb 2014 ratings show some good growth for TSN but wouldn’t a lot of that be the fact they ran Olympic hockey games. Like the Hayes show. Canada/USA was at 11am or noon on a Friday, if I remember. I’d bet half the radios in Toronto were tuned to it for 2+ hours, and there would have to be some big numbers for TSN’s morning show running Olympic hockey also. So that makes the increase for that month at least kind of artificial.

5. I’ve said it before and will again: I like that there’s two stations. Some of you wanting this guy to be fired, and that guy to be fired, it’s real unlikely. Most of these hosts likely have long contracts or long non-compete clauses. No one can just “jump” to TSN. The reason Tim and Sid could get right on at 590 is The Score allowed them to and couldn’t stop them if they wanted to. Walker came from another Rogers station. Hayes came from 640, and obviously Brady did too. But Bell/Rogers are too smart to let too much movement happen. The big questions long-term is whether TSN is “happy” with their numbers. They’re never going to win, barring something massive changing in the market, but what are they “content” with? The other big question is who replaces McCown someday or in 2-3 years. Bob doesn’t strike me as someone who will work as he gets closer to 70 and he sure wouldn’t need the money. That may be the game-changer for TSN, but they still need an afternoon drive show people want to listen to. They don’t have it right now.

Chunky 7 years ago

I think Naylor was a bit of strange choice mainly because it’s not like he’s an uber popular personality. He’s not really even one that I’ve noticed people feel strongly about one way or another.

But he is quite smart and articulate. So I think the game plan for Naylor is just to build an audience. It’s a tall order to expect anybody to come in and compete with a long time winner like McCown. You have to give it time, in many ways make an investment.

It’s clearly a tougher sell because your selling someone who is more talented than they are popular.

• comment-avatar

Bob’s contempt for his audience is finally showing up in the numbers. People can only be treated like shit for so long before they finally tune out.

• comment-avatar

I really like the user interface on the CBC live streaming of soccer. Where you have the timeline along the bottom of the screen and can access highlights really easily. Similar to what they had for Sochi. Unfortunately it wasn’t in use during the NHL playoffs, I wonder why.

Sam in Scarb 7 years ago

pts 7.9 Amazing, compared to pts 5 years ago the current show is a scarecrow drifting in the wind. Not a comment but, i guess now a fact.pts listeners are also the majority of Ontario voters.

Raptors Devotee 7 years ago

Lots to comment on, but I can comment on the 11:00 p.m. – 1:00 a.m. show, and listen to Gareth Wheeler, who is often hosting it, although he is now pressed into non-stop World Cup coverage. He has a high energy show ideal for post-game coverage and is a far better choice than what the Fan serves up in that time slot.

• comment-avatar

I think in the past couple years PTS has often been in the 10 range. But, I do remember when the Watters Show with Brady was picking up steam, PTS was around 7 (or maybe 6.5?). So it’s not like these are uncharted waters.

Having said that, the show isn’t quite what it was. But, the funny thing is, I think it’s easily fixable.

McCown is a bit of a BS artist on sports half the time now, but he IS still very entertaining. I think the obvious key is pairing him with a cohost who knows his stuff, and will counter McCown’s sometimes silly ideas. In a funny way, it’s almost like McCown is a bit like Shakey used to be (entertaining but a bit all over the place), and he needs someone with him who’s on the ball.

Brunt is obviously the best choice here. Would make such a difference if he just cohosted all the time. Surely there must be others though. Devlin was a nice change. I think Blair is great when on with McCown. I think Friedman and Grange can be good…but both are a bit dry.

Obviously it goes without saying that Shannon should never cohost on the show again. He BSes even more than McCown and he is *not* a funny radio personality despite trying awful cracks all the time.

Anyway, long story short, if you give McCown a cohost who can intelligently talk sports (not just hockey), and be a good foil to him, I think the show would be completely fine.

• comment-avatar

@Julian – yeah I’m pretty sure that in the Landy/Stellick/Hogan days all the Fan shows during the day had a 4/5ish number, and then PTS was about double everything else.

Swapping Landy/Stellick for Brady, Hogan for Blair, and all those afternoon shows for Tim/Sid has clearly worked out pretty well. I think it’s a much more entertaining station, personally.

Yeah, it’s interesting to think what will happen when McCown retires. He said something once about wanting to go out like Johnny Carson did – slowly doing less and less. Maybe he’ll just do 5-7 in a couple years?

• comment-avatar

I like that there’s two stations as well.

I think the reason why TSN has pretty low numbers is just that it’s quite dull in some ways! Other than Richards I guess, if you’re into his impressions.

But I mean … Macko, Hayes, Naylor, Dave Hodge. Good broadcasters who are knowledgable about sports. But these are not provocative or funny or particularly colourful guys on the air. t’s just… unless you’re a hard core sports fan, I can’t see why you would tune in. Very dry.

Whereas, I could see Tim/Sid and McCown attracting casual sports fans. Maybe even nominal sports fans, if they’re doing something really entertaining. Just a lot more personality there.

As is, I’m actually fine with it. I like flipping over to Naylor to get super rational sports talk if McCown’s doing a bad segment. Same with Hayes v Tim/Sid. It’s just .. yeah, I could see how that could limit their audience.

• comment-avatar

hi Daniel – great posts as per usual, but I disagree with you about one thing: I don’t see Hayes as any less colourful than Blair (both are bland), and I don’t see a huge difference in humour or provocativeness between T&S and M&C (both are going for the same “zany” approach).

I wonder if TSN would benefit from flipping Hayes and M&C so as to compete more head-to-head with their counterparts at the FAN.

p.s – your point about Bob morphing into Jim Hunt is really interesting.

• comment-avatar

As mentioned, Bob would benefit from good co-hosts. But he runs the show and he decides which one of the FOBs will be on with him, no matter what that means for the show. This is an example of what I mean by showing contempt for the audience (along with the nonsensical babble and well-worn stories from “back in the day”). If he really cared, Bob would want to put on the best show possible, but how is that possible when you have co-hosts like Cox and Shannon (and, I’m sorry, Butch). But he doesn’t care and he’s been mailing it in for years now.

For me, PTS is only listenable when Brunt is on because he knows his stuff, presents it well (when he’s not being interrupted by Bob), and pushes Bob to up his game. I’m not really a Brunt cheerleader (I think he’s as “owned” as any other Rogers employee), but I don’t listen to PTS if he’s not on.

The Jim Hunt reference by Daniel is spot, btw. People not old enough to have heard PTS way back when won’t understand just how good it was. That’s what frustrates me the most. I know how good the show could be, but Bob just doesn’t care enough anymore. That’s fine, I’d rather listen to something else.

• comment-avatar

PTS is my favourite show except when Shannon is on, being as I am not a hockey puck. I enjoyed the show last week when they were talking about card collecting- can’t remember the co-host’s name. I’m old enough to remember when Bob had excellent co-hosts like Jim Kelly from Buffalo. He covered hockey but knew other sports too. Bob seems to know most of the guests on a personable level. He never seems to be in awe of them unless they deserve it, as some of the other hosts on the station are. Another flaw is having Butch Carter on too much- good in small doses. I also appreciate Bob’s outlook on soccer and the Leafs.

• comment-avatar

Another great column MiB.

Like RD mentioned above, on 1050 the 11p-1a slot is filled by Gareth Wheeler. On The FAN, on most nights Jeff Sammut and George Rusic take that slot but other nights it’s been genre-specfic shows like Hoops and Raceline radio.

Earlier in the year, and someone can correct me if I’m wrong, that late night slot on The FAN was more often than not filled by (horrible!!) CBS SportsRadio programming – when it wasn’t Leafs’ Postgame. I personally couldn’t stand CBS and would switch to the local talk from Wheeler on 1050. Of late, Sammut and Rusic have been regulars in the 11p-1a slot and I find myself staying put.

I wonder if that has anything to do with the numbers between so competitive during the ratings period between the two stations (i.e. the audience prefers local talk to the American-centric CBS talk)?

Nan Young Lee 7 years ago

Watching the World Cup on the CBC, I’m enjoying the lack of a colour man. One person in the booth is enough. I”m not sure if this would work for Toronto FC games. Maybe it works for the World Cup because these broadcasters must be the ‘cream of the crop” and the World Cup games already have a drama built in that wouldn’t be there for a regular season MLS game.

That’s a elegant set the CBC has for the pre, post and half time shows. Black and gold with a bit of stone brick pattern on the desk.Add to this the chiaroscuro lighting,(or a close as you can get away with on network tv), and the overall effect makes the sets on TSN and SN seen garish and overwrought.
    Unfortunately the panel itself is pedestrian.

Darrell 7 years ago

I really fail to see where the FAN thinks Toronto wants American-centric CBS Overnight Radio with a host who sounds like he’s swallowing a pencil (Scott Farrell)?

• comment-avatar

Darrell – I think someone on this site claimed that CBS was giving away or discounting some of their programming as a way of increasing market share. So, if that’s true, I doubt Kollins likes Farrell but rather likes the fact that he comes for free.

I feel like both stations are in a no-win situation there though. The overnight audience has to be tiny, and so I’m fine with syndicated American programming after 1am.

Nan Young Lee 7 years ago

Where are the male 18-49 ratings? They were posted on this site before (see link). Maybe those ratings are what Richards was tweeting about. I thought the 18-49 demographic was the most coveted amoung advertisers. An article in the New York Times by Brian Stelter (May 12, 2013) had the following quote:

“Now NBC and ABC are lucky to get five million to tune in. Goldman Sachs found last month that broadcast ratings in the 18-to-49-year-old demographic, the one most coveted by advertisers, fell by 17 percent in the winter months compared with last winter. Goldman Sachs called it “the sharpest pace on record.” ”

Although Brady/Walker is my favourite show on either station and Brady is my favouite sports commentator in any medium, I still think it’s unfair to call Richards’ ratings claim laughable until we know what ratings he was talking about. Maybe I’m being naive but what reason is there for Richards to lie when the numbers are easily available. It was reported on this site a little while ago he had just signed a 3 year extension so his job is not in jeporady. Are the 18-49 going to be posted as they were in December?

Also, anyone have a review of Gus Johnson calling World Cup games. Personally I want the British accent(and knowledge).

Darrell 7 years ago

Mike in Boston, I understand what you are saying and I almost agree with you completely. I don’t like to agree with you on this particular issue as I think the whole 24 – 7 local Toronto sports thing could have really worked. Don Kollins was an idiot and just too quick to pull the plug on the 24-7 idea. To switch to CBS overnight I guess is fine, but are you that lost to talk Toronto sports until at least 2 AM? That way the rest of Toronto doesn’t have to hear Scott Farrell choke over the pencil he swallowed? I am sorry but Scott Farrell is just not enjoyable to listen to and I have learned just to switch the dial off until at least 2 AM, during CBS programming.

• comment-avatar

Gus is not calling the world cup.

He works for fox.

Workd cup is on espn/abc, so its been British pxp like ian darke, derek rae and jon champion.

(Another) Andrew 7 years ago

As alex says Gus Johnson isn’t doing the World Cup. His soccer commentating is without doubt the worst I’ve ever heard in any sport. He’s atrocious beyond words as he doesn’t have a clue what he’s watching.

RichieD 7 years ago

25-54 males is the main sports talk demographic for big advertisers and the only 1 that the company’s will care about. How many 18 year olds do u kno re buying cars and houses and korrys suits? Not saying other numbers are irrelevant but there is only one that matters for bragging

• comment-avatar

In case any of you were wondering, it is the “FIFA” World Cup. That is FIFA: F, I, F, A. Thanks to Scott Russell for hammering that home any chance he gets.

FIFA

• comment-avatar

This is going to be a simple, perhaps painfully naive comment: But I can’t get 1050 on my radio clear to enough to know if it’s good or not. It’s the much stronger 590 signal by default.

• comment-avatar

The only times of day I listen to TSN 1050 are during Leafs Lunch and late night, the only slot they’re leading in.

I’ve posted here before how I’m a big fan of Bryan Hayes. His near encyclopedic knowledge of sports makes him worth listening to, you’re not going to get idiotic opinions out of him like you would with some other hosts. He’s very knowledgeable and listenable, and I’ll take him with Odog and Mclennan over the incessant banter between Kypreos and Maclean any day. Leafs Lunch is just a much better program than Hockey Central at Noon.

• comment-avatar

Darrell, I agree completely! When I first hear Farrell I thought there was something physically wrong with the 590 signal. I just can’t listen to him. Keeping it local until 2am is good for insomniacs like myself. Also, as someone who tends to catch up on things after work (and during periods of insomnia), repeats overnight would be a good (free) alternative I think.

• comment-avatar

… whoops. I apologize everyone – I forgot to close the bold tag.

• comment-avatar

Yikes! Anyone read Richard Griffin’s new pom-pom-shaking column on the Blue Jays in The Star? Yes, the worlds of journalism and PR have grown closer this generation, but this column is evidence why, even today, a PR flack can never be considered a journalist. Embarrassing, really, in a city that claims it’s world class and in a publication that always tries to come off a holier-than-thou.

Another Steve 7 years ago

I respectfully disagree – hasn’t Griffin generally been quite critical of the Jays over the past few years?

It’s one thing to praise a team when it’s bad, but the team has the 2nd best record in the league.

I honestly don’t understand your anger over this one column.

Nan Young Lee 7 years ago

If males 25-54 is the only number that matters for bragging rights. then let Bob brag about losing 30% of his audience since last year in this most important of demos. Giddyup.

RichieD 7 years ago

You are right. That fact should be concerning. My point was that between those 2 networks the only important age group is still 1 sided according to these figurea. More then bragging also advertizing

• comment-avatar

Another Steve: Not anger; more a combination of frustration and amusement. Regardless, I appreciate your perspective on Griffin.

• comment-avatar

Ken Reid is such a troll. That’s right Mr. Puckhead, hockey players never dive, basketball players never flop and football players never feign injury to slow the game down. Only soccer players do these things.

• comment-avatar

Welcome back to this message board Julian

It seems like the ratings for almost all of the shows on 1050 increased dramatically when the NHL lockout ended in Jan 2013 and they started airing half of the Leafs games……….up until then it seemed like most of their shows were getting a rating of well below 2.0 (and some even below 1.0)………..does having Leafs games really make that much of a difference?

The ratings decrease for PTS is significant, mainly because that has been the trend for a while now……….but the listeners they are losing do not appear to be going to 1050 because Naylor’s show also got an unimpressive number

I don’t know what to make of Naylor’s 2.0 rating……….I guess it might be an anomaly but if it’s not it’s pretty surprising………….while it is true the show is still young (only 15 months or so) it’s also true that they have heavily promoted it on television

(Another) Andrew 7 years ago

LOL

It’s even more annoying when he and others not raised in a soccer culture try to fake the whole lingo thing. Russell just said “P.K.” twice instead of “penalty”. Even those of us raised in the British Isles don’t feel the need to say it that way though we occasionally do. The other day he also said some team had “nil points” after one match. I’ve never heard a Brit or any other European use the word in that context. It’s all OTT. He’d be better just using the North Americanisms that come more naturally to him.

• comment-avatar

Two questions, #1, does listening online or watching via TV count in the ratings or is it strictly radio listeners?
    #2, could the ratings sweep for the fan have anything to do with the two station’s signals?

• comment-avatar

@ Andrew – Yup, tourists. That’s all you can say. Every four years it has to be endured. Eye rolling stuff.

Props to Craig Forrest though. For me, he’s the only one who knows what he’s talking about. Wish Kristian Jack could be a part of things and not relegated to TSN, who hold the exclusive “stills” coverage.

dave in bolton 7 years ago

TSN line up is very underrated and their guests are far better then 590. If I were Bell and really want to take at run at 590 then I make an offer to Corus to buy the 640 feed and move TSN to the 640. The only reason 590 ratings r dominating TSN is bc the 1050 feed sucks

Raptors Devotee 7 years ago

Bunch of posters correctly pointing out the sucky 1050 feed, and right from the get go I pointed this out as a huge mistake by TSN Radio. I don’t know how many lost rating points it translates to, but the process of acquiring a better feed and putting the application through the CRTC that I imagine had to be done is long overdue.

For my listening, I can break it down as follows:

Kitchen – Tivoli Audio portable radio I got at Bay Bloor radio and has served me well. Also able to use it remotely in the backyard. I catch PTS without FOB and 1050 on it, and with a dial format, the 590 signal and ease of finding it near the beginning of the dial is far better than 1050, which is dwarfed by the 1010 signal right next to it. The sound itself is always tinny sounding, where 590 is incredibly clear. Mornings I flip a lot mostly to avoid commercials, and am all over the map between news and sports.

TV – Not sure how this is factored in for the ratings, but Tim & Sid are a television medium, not a radio one. To get the full impact of the show, it has to be viewed and not listened to, due to the facial expressions and gags going on.

Car – 590 signal far superior on the dial than 1050 again

Internet – Don’t use it that often, but no noticeable difference here

Podcasts – rarely go there, although I believe both stations format them differently

Bottom line, as Dave in Bolton pointed out, until 1050 moves out of that dead air space, Bell Media is wasting a shitload of money advertising their properties on the radio when they do not have the proper hardware to let listeners in. Their line-up is competing with one hand tied behind their back, and although the bigger issue is the FAN’s longevity and the habits of people listening, if they got a strong standalone station, they would be able to convert listeners a lot easier.

Overall share of M25-54: Fan 6.7, TSN 2.9
    Overall share of M18-49: Fan 5.4, TSN 2.9

TSN shows don’t drop by much in the younger demo, but the FAN sees 20-30% decreases. The sole exception is Brady & Walker, who stay strong at an 8.0. Richards improves to a 5.4 in that demo.

I’ll post full results later.

• comment-avatar

p.s – does anyone else find these categories silly? Why not break it up in plausible chunks, like 18-25, 25-35, 35-45, 45-55, and 55-65?

I think I know the answer … there would be some demos with 2 or 3 PPMs reporting.

If someone wants to make a million dollars tomorrow, invent an app that can passively collect user listening habits and sell the data to the radio stations.

• comment-avatar

Many US sports talk stations have switched to FM. WEEI did it transitionally by airing on both their existing AM frequency and the new FM one for a period of 6 months or so.

I suspect TSN is stuck on 1050 but they could beat the Fan to FM by airing on both before phasing out the AM side.

Sinnacle 7 years ago

To Mike – As I’m sure you know the ratings exist to sell advertising. The demo’s exist to allow brands to target a certain demo. It makes little sense for a brand to buy advertising against 18-25, 25-35 etc. It’s too narrow of a gap so that is why rating information is very hard to find against non standard demos. (99% sure there is a way to do it however you need to know someone in radio sales or advertising with access to infosys radio) Plus I doubt the sample sizes if you narrowed down the demo to an age gap of 10 years or so would be enough to get a true sample.

dave in bolton 7 years ago

Rogers just announced Freedman and Oak will be joining the SN Hockey team

Don Madrie 7 years ago

TSN’s most talented radio host continues do his thing in Montreal. Mitch Melnick should be in Toronto. If not co-hosting with Naylor at TSN than teamming with McCowan and his old Montreal TSN regular Brunt. Then Rogers also has a logical and talented successor to Bob.

• comment-avatar

Another survey was sent out by 590 today………..it only had one question in it: “if you could make one change to the radio station what would it be?”

My response was this: “more Brunt on PTS if possible and less Shannon/Butch”……….I wonder how many people will end up giving them a similar answer

Darrel 7 years ago

I said, “For the love of baby Jesus, get rid of CBS Overnight!”

• comment-avatar

Wipe the slate clean. New host, new producer(s), new co-hosts (save Brunt), and get people in who are hungry, professional and good to listen to.

Good suggestions above.

I’d focus on a Blue Jays’ Talk revamp. Remove Mike Wilner from interacting with callers. He clearly does not have the maturity, savviness and/or discretion to handle such responsibilities … and, at this point, he’s not likely to change. Rogers has identified Wilner as a valuable member of the play-by-play team. Fair enough. That is even more reason to pull him back from a call-in show, which should always be at arm’s length of the pom-pom shakers who call the actual games. Would you want a Jerry Howarth or a Joe Bowen hosting a post-game call-in show? Of course not. So why Wilner?

Rogers owns the team, which means the company is more than within its rights to use FAN 590 or any of its entities as a platform to promote the Jays. If a call-in show without Wilner is not a possibility, I’d suggest the call-in show be scrapped altogether then. Use the post-game slot to preach Blue Jays to the masses until the cows come in — Wilner can read and re-read those press releases aloud all night. Again, Rogers, you could very well do that; it’s your stage. But don’t continue to allow one of your employees to publicly treat customers with such disdain and vile contempt under the faux guise of professional broadcasting.

Freddie Mac 7 years ago

Wilner is the worst thing on Toronto radio. There’s a reason intelligent baseball fans don’t call in to his show. The man is a joke.

• comment-avatar

Will have a more thought out response later. Got it right though – 590 slaying it from top to bottom. Surprised at Leafs Lunch ratings. Naylor will likely get one more quarter and if he doesn’t get an increase ( and why would he? ) – likely to go the way of Cybulski. Can’t stand Richards but you can see why he got a new 3 yr contract – he’s the strongest in their entire lineup ( ratings, not quality ). But will have to look at the previous ratings to analyze -, this is like giving the location of a ship – ships move, that’s why they call them ships; need a vector, not a location.

allie-cat 7 years ago

Wilner is such an embarrassment, especially when compared to the professionals who hosted Jays Talk before. I understand that he’s a super-fan, but he is so pathetic when the Jays play poorly.

I agree with those who say it’s time time turn the page. Wouldn’t it be nice for Jays fans to have someone objective who is not a mean-spirited jerk to listen to?

• comment-avatar

Surprising Leafs Lunch ( Brian Hayes, McLennanm, O’Neill ) has dropped from 6 in Nov. 2012 to a 2.9.https://torontosportsmedia.com/sports-and-toronto/toronto-sports-radio-fall-ratings-book-results/18554 ( and how was it a year ago there was a ratings book in Nov & December?, then nothing until June??)

Between last November and now is roughly when O’Neill become a regular on the show which for me was a great plus but somehow his addition is reflecting negatively in the ratings. He must score well in focus groups because they quickly put him on every platform TSN has for hockey in Radio or TV.

My only theory is that there is no consistency to Leafs Lunch – you tune in expecting O’Neill to be there and, oops – he’s going to be on with Naylor or he was in Vancouver the night before doing TV, or whatever. I’m immediately disappointed because with or without O’Neill, Leafs Lunch is a drastically different show. Hayes had better ratings without him. Maybe they should just put O’Neill with Naylor as Naylor needs a boost and Hayes may benefit from subtraction. Were they to do that I’d be disappointed because I find the Hayes, McLennan, O’Neill trio the most entertaining hockey show in this market followed by Brady/Walker. Every other show in this market I wouldn’t miss for a second were they to be dropped.

So many here lament the decline of PTS. Who cares. Bob’s got maybe another 3 years and he’ll retire anyway, hopefully taking his gang of ventriloquist dummies with him: Cox, Shannon, Brunt and whomever. I only listen if he has a good guest, which he quite often does.

• comment-avatar

@alliecat @FreddieMac – agree on Wilner. Why take callers when you have such an open disdain for them? If you’re going to disagree in such a snobbish way with EVERY caller, why be on the air? Best was a few weeks ago, Wilner said ( as he does 19 times an hour ) ‘I don’t know about that stat, where do you get this stuff?’ Caller: ‘It was on your network, on the screen during the game I just watched.” Badading.

allie-cat 7 years ago

@yaz – more genius management from Don Kollins. I mean, can you actually imagine what those meetings are like? “Great job last night! I really liked when you told that caller he was an idiot for being upset at losing 3 straight to a division rival. More of that!! Make sure to remind the audience that this year’s team is nothing like last year’s. Go Jays Go! Great work Mike!”

• comment-avatar

This is not new territory for Don Kollins. He had a similar on-air buffoon in Kitchener, a clown named Gary Doyle. He was unable to effectively deal with that situation also.

As I wrote earlier, don’t fire Wilner … just place him in a spot more conducive to his attitude and abilities. A call-in show is clearly not that spot.

Hunter 7 years ago

Ratings numbers mean jack the ratings system is a joke everyone I talk to
    can’t stand Don Kollins FAN 590 and especially his morning idiot Greg Brady & his other goofballs in the afternoon Tim & Sid. The antiquated ratings system is micro sample and in no way reflects the listening preferences of the GTA’s 6 million plus residents.

Agreed Mike Wilner is a moron who should be upgraded can’t stand his attitude on the call in show and don’t care for his play by play calling either.

I find TSNRadio has a lot better hosts discussing sports more maturely and professionally than the clowns on the FAN590. I was a regular listener to the FAN until that idiot Don Kollins took over and turned it into goofball radio.

Hunter 7 years ago

Thanks to Mike for posting the ratings but lets be real…micro polls pulled out of multi million population bases are and always have been complete bullshit! A most recent example of this was the June 12th Ontario election where several micro polls showed the PC’s & Liberals virtually neck and neck just before the masses went out and voted the Liberals into a majority government. LMAO

Greg Brady Sam & Ted Mike Wilner & Jeff Sammutt are unlistenable hacks.

Rishi 6 years ago

I am pretty sure Hunter is also TSN’s Mike Richards! LOL I can’t believe TSN has fallen so much as to post as other individuals on a rating forum! PS polls based on measuring shares are fairly accurate as supposed to random political polls based on a biased sample size.