Seen & Heard – Weekend Edition

Seen & Heard – Weekend Edition

by mike in boston / @mikeinboston / hatemailaccount (a t) gmail

World Cup media coverage

With the opening round in full swing I thought it would be good to look around at how the media is covering the games, as well as the social and political angles that dominated the headlines in the lead up to kick off. The most notable aspect of the coverage, for me, is an absence rather than a presence. Stephen Brunt is not at the games in Brazil. For better or for worse, Brunt has been a lead soccer reporter and journalist at many if not all of the world cups since ’94. I say for better or for worse because some people find his analysis shallow. I’m not a big enough soccer fan to know.

The reason Brunt’s absence is notable is that last year there was a kerfuffle between him and Simon Houpt at his previous employer about Brunt’s coverage of the Jays for Rogers. Brunt did a TV profile on the Dominican Jays prior to the start of the 2013 season, and was criticized for essentially producing promotional material under the guise of journalism. Brunt fired back that Rogers had given him resources that the Globe never would, and that he was so much happier in his new role. You can read a transcript of Brunt’s reply here.

Sidenote: It’s hard to pick a side on this one. The Globe encourages its writers to produce advertorial content. So, there’s a pot and a kettle here.

How is this relevant to Brunt’s absence from the World Cup? Well, I would have thought that a station with Rogers’ resources would want their most high profile people covering the games on the ground. It’s possible that Rogers asked Brunt to go to Brazil but he declined. Or, it’s possible that Rogers decided it would be too expensive to spend so much money to have Brunt there in person. (If Mr. Brunt wishes to clarify, my contact details are above)

Brunt penned a column on the politics of these games for Sportsnet last week. It’s a decent piece of writing. But what’s more notable is how little material he produces. If you click on his name you are taken to a 3 week old story on the CFL, and then 3 stories from a month ago and then 3 stories from 2 months ago. By contrast, Cathal Kelly of the Globe has been writing up a storm from Brazil, covering all aspects of the World Cup on and off the pitch. Several of the people I follow on Twitter dislike Kelly’s writing on soccer, but as a casual fan I am enjoying reading his daily reports.

We’ve covered the death of Stephen Brunt the journalist on this site in the past, so I won’t spend too much time bemoaning the career exile that is Sportsnet’s magazine or his rather idiosyncratic understanding of conflict of interest. All good things must end. But since Brunt is still appearing on the radio and finding time to write for Sportsnet’s website, I think it is fair to point out that he is not in Brazil covering a sport he has covered many times before. What is the point of buying up established journalists if you are not going to put them to their best use?

Who are you reading/watching for analysis of the World Cup?

Lawsuits!

The Sterling lawsuit is apparently back on. He has hired private investigators to dig up dirt on the other owners, presumably as a way of proving that the league treated him unfairly by forcing him to sell after private racist comments he made were leaked. To be honest, I love this story and I hope he manages to get his day in court. Sterling is a scumbag but he’s not wrong here. He was denied due process and should fight it. I felt the same way about A-Rod’s ban by MLB. The NBA’s reaction was swift but reeked of damage control rather than principle. Sterling was a known racist long before these tapes came out and the NBA did absolutely nothing about it.

The O’Bannon lawsuit against the NCAA is moving forward and the testimony is really interesting. The hill that the NCAA has chosen to die on is that college athletics are about amateurism and paying the players would corrode the pillar on which the games are built. That is of course complete bullshit. The highest paid public employee in 45 out of 50 states is either the basketball or football coach. North Carolina was recently outed as having sham classes for the athletes.

The ideal solution is to cleave off the business of sports from the university altogether. Just create a minor league system like baseball and hockey have. Pay them, and be done with it. The best in-between solution I have heard is to create a separate degree — like a Bachelor’s of Sports — and have athletes enroll in that rather than a regular degree program. It would have lower standards and could allow for stipends and additional funding. But we need to stop pretending that student athletes in the major sports care about education and that the athletics department cares about educating their players.

The NFL is facing a fresh concussion lawsuit which may or may not include Dan Marino. The 765 million dollar settlement from last August was rejected by a judge and it seems this has opened the door to new and potentially more damaging suits. Recently the producer of the League of Denial documentary accused ESPN of “abandoning” the project under pressure from the NFL. I doubt this story goes away any time soon. The careers and life-spans of NFL players are shockingly short, and the league has been largely immune from bearing the responsibility for what happens after to these human beings after the cheering stops.

Low Hanging Fruit

• I spent some time in a Toronto hotel for work recently and saw a few segments on TSN featuring Cabbie. I found them to be unwatchable. Do people like his brand of comedy? He seems like a nice enough guy, but the bits weren’t for me.

• Wilner on JaysTalk – “this team’s struggles have nothing to do with last year’s team’s struggles!!! They are completely different teams!!!” Every other baseball analyst on both stations – “we saw how this team could struggle last year and they brought back essentially the same group of guys.”

• On the dangers of hiring a current athlete as an analyst, Fox learned a valuable lesson after UFC’s Chael Sonnen was banned for PEDs shortly after criticizing another fighter for taking PEDs.

• I wonder why Rogers took so long to announce the hirings of the rest of the HNIC roster. Any guesses as to who, if anyone, gets left behind? Will anyone currently at Rogers become redundant? Will TSN pick through the leftovers?

• PTS without McCown is so much worse than PTS with McCown. Yet TSN allows Naylor to be on vacation at the same time? Kind of a missed opportunity there.

as always, thanks for reading and commenting,

until next time …

COMMENTS

WORDPRESS: 36
  • comment-avatar
    MattK 6 years ago

I thought Cabbie was decent when he started with The Score, but his love affair with accused rapist Kobe Bryant was a turn off. And just his mentality of athletes and girls seems like something you expect from someone in there early 20’s not late 30’s. He crossed the line from jokester to creep for me and is more of a starfuker then a journalist.

• comment-avatar

You’re paying for their reputation “bank” built up somewhere else to get eyeballs. You then deplete that bank with each (thinly) veiled advertorial produced by such journalist.

Having said all of that, the access point is true. I was at Pitchtalks this week in Toronto and Grange gave a really good example of how access helped him in pieces with Delabar (a lot) and Buerhle (not as much). I would also like to mention that Grange is a much better speaker in this format than he is on radio.

Who are you reading/watching for analysis of the World Cup?

Like you I enjoy reading Kelly’s articles and tweets, even if some of the tweets are possibly a little mature/juvenile.

Friedman mentioned the other day on T&S that he asked Rogers to delay negotiations until after the NHL playoffs.

MIB, sorry to hear you’ll be writing less in July. Would be great if we could have at least someone open a new catch-all thread once a week, just so things don’t get too unwieldy.

Oops

I’ll see if I can get the bolding right next time.

MIB – fixed!

Kamlesh 6 years ago

I think Brunt mentioned on Brady’s show 1 or 2 months ago that he was looking forward to going to Brazil. It’s strange because 590 recently sent Momin Qureshi of their “Got Game” podcast of Las Vegas for a trade show.
    One thing I don’t like about the Sportsnet columns is they have advertising for other things on SN right within the piece. Isn’t there some integrity to a column? Brunt can’t be too happy about it.

I noticed Mike Richards seems to be enjoying the World Cup and talking about it more than expected. This week he was talking about his visit to Barcelona and how closely the team is woven into the Catalan culture. I don’t think he’s only talking about it because TSN has the rights, they have the rights to the tennis majors too and whenever they’re on he never fails to mention that he hates tennis, it’s a dumb sport, etc…
    Meanwhile Brady/Walker seem to be ignoring the World Cup for the most part except when Walker wants to make fun of it.

The best coverage of Brazil is the daily wrap ups on 1050 and podcasts by Wheeler, deVos and KJ. Full of passion, knowledge and humour without the horns and other ‘funny’ stuff.

• comment-avatar

The Sonnen story is slightly more nuanced than him just failing a PED test, but prob nit worth elaborating.

I would tout the bbc radio 5 live coverage as you might expect. Also the Men in Blazers if you like comedy along with your hardcore analysis.

• comment-avatar

Regarding Brunt and the World Cup, I thought it was interesting that he wrote an article last week which basically said that in order to watch the World Cup you had to “leave your conscience at the door” – referring to the corruption of FIFA and the ridiculous cost of holding the tournament when there were so many other social issues in Brazil that should be addressed.

Fair enough, I actually agree. BUT, where was this article when Sportsnet was covering the Sochi Olympics? Where was his “moral dilemma” then? Ah right, Sportsnet isn’t carrying the World Cup. You see, we all know Brunt is a fine writer – I have a few of his books and never missed an article of his in the Globe. But, since he’s gone to Rogers, he has become a glorified PR guy. He’s owned by Rogers and he knows it. While he would no doubt bridle at that opinion, he can’t deny it. If Rogers had the World Cup rights (which they may in Russia 2018) I highly doubt that Brunt would write about “moral dilemmas”.

As a side not, my CBC feed from Brazil is patchy with the picture freezing once a minute. Anybody else having this problem? Pissing me off.

Bobby Digital 6 years ago

Cabbie was fresh in 2002. I have no idea why they are still giving him a voice and I really dislike the seeming ‘bro-afication’ of TSN

• comment-avatar

Brunt’s absence from Brazil is a mystery indeed … but then again, as MIB accurately wrote, so is much of Brunt’s career over the past couple of years. I suppose, it’s very possible Brunt’s simply cashed in … and truly doesn’t care all that much anymore. Good on him, I guess.

It’s too bad, though, for a nation that is woefully short on truly reasonable, learned sports media personalities.

Sam in Scarb 6 years ago

“I’m going to be posting less frequently in the month of July. Hope everyone is enjoying the first day of summer.”
    Soo this site has turned into a once a week posting…Now it is going to be LESS?

With TSN radio broadcasting World cup games at Noon,3 PM and 6PM where in the hell would Naylor fit in?

Giving him holidays during the World Cup is probably the BEST time out of the entire year to be off.

• comment-avatar

You’re right Sam in Scarb. That was a daft oversight on my part about the WC radio broadcasts.

• comment-avatar

Brunt has become a caricature of himself.

• comment-avatar

Ken: Not sure if you heard the 5 p.m. hour of PTS yesterday. If there was any doubt prior, there should be none now about just who is buttering Brunt’s bread. He was shaking those Blue Jays’ pom poms harder than ever.

Again, on one level, who can blame him if he’s sold out? He had a great run as a credible voice of reason; he’s now trying to earn as much money as he can before he’s done. In that way, he’s not all that different than most of us, I suppose.

It’s not good for those of us who care about this nation’s sports media, but it’s a choice he as a man and father is certainly not out of line in making. I, for one, now take just about everything he says and writes with a grain of salt.

• comment-avatar

Yeah I caught that too GCMike. He’s critical of everything else except property of Rogers Communications. Sell-out. But like you said, who wouldn’t do the same? Still sad though. I’ve noticed also, since Rogers won the NHL rights, how both he and especially Bob have warmed up to the NHL. Both these guys used to rip the NHL and Bettman any chance they got. Now “the Count” is a semi-regular guest on PTS.

Sinnacle 6 years ago

Agree regarding Cabbie. He was interesting back in the score days and I especially liked him when he was recapping the plays of the week with Tim and Sid but now it’s just the same old bro culture/sucking up to athletes that’s lost it’s appeal years ago. He has been around for about a decade as a one trick pony.

As for Brunt I also agree he is quick to throw stones at non Rogers sporting properties but pulls his punches when it comes to anything Rogers related. To be fair however Sportsnet has the same sub licensing agreement with CBC for this World Cup as they did with the Winter Olympics. With Fifa rights going to Bell/TSN starting with the 2015 Women’s World Cup all the way up too the 2022 World Cup it does make it easier for Brunt for be critical of Fifa.

I am convinced CBC and Canadian Broadcasters in general don’t quite understand how massive the World Cup really is. I’m convinced CBC is doing the World Cup on the cheap to collect as much revenue as possible with this being their last major sporting property for along time.

For the Olympics they travel to Sochi and are on set there but for the World Cup they hire a bunch of freelancers to talk about soccer from a Toronto studio.

I do like Andi Petrillo however and I do think she is talented. She has made some minor mistakes for example with Karim Benzema scored after the final whistle was blown against Switzerland she said Benzema was denied his hat trick. Technically that is true however he only had one goal in the game so even if that last second goal counted it would only be goal number two. During a recap of the Uruguay-England match she also said Alvaro Pereira was knocked out with an elbow to the head when anyone who watched it clearly knows it was a knee to the head. Overall I do think she handles traffic well in her role.

Nigel Reed is awful however like way too many soccer voices in North America if he didn’t have a British accent he wouldn’t be in front of my TV. So many dumb comments. He has referred to the Dutch murdering Spain in the first game. Not exactly the best term to use. Also during the Iran/Nigeria match after some fair play by both teams he said something to the effect of both players will talk about it at the bar afterwards. Oh yeah I’m sure an Iranian player in a country where booze is illegal is really going to a bar. His only good moment is when talking about fan violence referred back to having a knife pointed at him after a game but didn’t provided context or back story (what game, what teams etc)

Lloyd Barker is alright but he isn’t ready for the role is he in but overall he has been fine.

Since CBC is paying him regardless I believe that is why Scott Russell is working the World Cup. Seems like a nice enough guy but soccer isn’t his thing. He is great on amateur sports however.

Craig Forrest knows a lot about the game but is so bland in his delivery.

Small sample size but I do like Canadian women’s coach John Herdman. He comes off well on TV.

Sorry about the long post btw

• comment-avatar

Wow, someone must have been ripped again by Wilner on Jays Talk.

If you don’t generally agree with Wilner, you’re probably a moron.

He’s, again, 100% correct. This is not the same team at all of last year. For one thing, the entire pitching staff isn’t on the DL like last year.

Oh and Melky doesn’t have…ahh…what’s it called? Oh yes, A FRIGGING TUMOUR in his back. Probably would help a bit. Also, Reyes is healthy.

But let’s start being panicky idiots.

The facts are that the Jays are in first place and really good team with the ability to add a quality starting pitcher and 2B/3B at the trade deadline.

1999 has no baring on what this team is doing in 2014.

So once again Mike Wilner does god’s work speaking pure logic and keeping the morons in check. Love it. Most entertaining show on the station PERIOD.

…and those are the facts and the truth. Maybe Mike is actually “Dave from Toronto” or James, as he went by on Jays Talk today. Get lost.

Sam in Scarb 6 years ago

Four bodies that not should be Seen or Heard in the 5th largest media market in North America:
    All tied at the top

Cabbie
    Cam Stewart
    Ben Ennis
    John Shannon

Julian 6 years ago

It’s funny people mention the decision by TSN Radio to broadcast all the World Cup games and wipe out their local shows. There’s a real lose-lose proposition there to me. If the ratings stink for the games, then it looks like a bad decision. If the ratings are better than the low ratings for the shows of Hayes and Naylor (both shows I do check in on occasionally, but I’m obviously in the minority), then what does that say? If I had a radio show in the city and was doing the best I could, getting guests, and talking Leafs, Blue Jays, Raptors, etc. and a Mexico-Cameroon soccer game did better ratings than me, I’d wonder what my bosses were thinking about that.

But people do have to take vacation in the summer in the radio and tv world. Has Bob not already had two weeks of summer vacation and July hasn’t started yet?

I like having the games on, but I have them on satellite radio too, so TSN just hurts itself by taking away another local option, when Tim & Sid are spitting out bad one-liner after another, or McCown is doing something that doesn’t interest me.

I’m glad someone mentioned Andrew Walker mocking soccer. I said last week I really enjoyed the “upgrade” from Lang to Walker, and again, I’m obviously not the only one. It’s a really sharp, smart show for the sports fan. I wouldn’t expect everyone to like it or “get it” and those are two different things.

That said, Walker’s the only one bashing soccer on Toronto airwaves or making fun of players’ toughness on his twitter account. The fact McCown doesn’t play his decades-old “soccer sucks and it’s so boring” card tells me he’s even evolved to understand it’s a huge deal, and especially during the World Cup. Maybe that’s Brunt’s influence, who knows?

Listening early in the week and late in the week, I actually felt bad for Brady with him trying to keep the soccer talk and “analysis” on a basic level and barely being able to do that. Then again, is this the same frustration level listeners feel when a lot of Toronto hosts make fun of the CFL and how little people in Toronto care about the Argos? Either way, if the World Cup isn’t your thing, thats ok, but “soccer is boring” is about as popular an opinion when the World Cup is on as “regular season NHL games are boring”.

Toronto FC’s been around 7 or 8 seasons and hosts in this city and even the television sportscasts aren’t dumb enough to try and forcefeed the MLS to listeners/viewers. They know it’s only a really small slice of the population who cares about it.

I’m not bashing Walker’s talent. I think he has a good future. As others have said, if he, and Tim and Sid are at TSN Radio, it’s a more fair fight between the stations. He’s genuinely impressed me since he’s been on that show but given how people did knock Brady for beating up on Lang for various things on the air during their run, Brady’s showing a lot of restraint given he can barely get through a sentence about the World Cup without his partner giving him the business.

I’d share the above opinions on CBC doing this tournament on “the cheap”. I don’t care if Petrello or Scott Russell know that much about soccer, but your analysts have to be credible, and Craig Forrest is and Nigel Reed isn’t. I can’t flip away fast enough during their halftime or post-match. I wish either TSN or Sportsnet had the rights this year to show live matches.

• comment-avatar

Friedman & Oake were announced last week because, until that time, they were holding out for more money & finally settled. Not so for Healy, who has not received an offer or even a call. ( thank God )

Cabbie is a channel changer – he comes on, people change the channel. Not only is he unfunny, his ‘bits’ are confusing to the people he interviews – he interviewed Jack Nicklaus once and Jack looked like he was ready to call the police. Cabbie’s lips move but you can’t understand what he’s saying. Cabbie likely trends well in the 4 to 9 yr old demo so they keep him around.

• comment-avatar

If you don’t generally agree with Wilner, you’re probably a moron.

Another Steve 6 years ago

Excellent Hayhurst piece on smokeless tobacco. Man, I wish I could write as well as he does:

Sam in Scarb 6 years ago

@yaz Friedman & Oake were announced last week because, until that time, they were holding out for more money & finally settled.

Robbers seems to find money to hire “Puckheads”..No one seems to mention the nose-dive it’s baseball coverage has become since they were to cheap to keep Jack Morris & Dirk Hayhurst.

I challenge anyone to say sportsnet baseball coverage is at least 25% worse than last year?

• comment-avatar

@richarddeitsch: ESPN’s telecast of Germany-Ghana drew 5,735,000 viewers. That is a monster number for a non-U.S., non knockout game.

• comment-avatar

Finally caught the PTS Friday roundtable…how many ways can you say awful? Always good to hear Brunt, but that was about the only good thing. Matt Devlin was a total fish out of water. And Jeff Blair…boy, just not a good host. Can’t stand this trend of taking print guys, sticking them behind a microphone and expecting them to be polished radio hosts. Hosting live radio is a skill, developed over years. Maybe Blair will be decent in four or five years, but not so much now.
    And how is it that they spent an entire two hours talking about the Jays (of course), the World Cup, and OJ (!!), and not one word about the Stanley Cup final??

• comment-avatar

The pre-empting of much of Naylor’s show due to World Cup games definitely made it make sense for him to take some of his vacation now………Hayes just got married so he is taking vacation now too

In theory it would probably be good for Naylor to not be on vacation when McCown is away………..but I doubt the people at 590 will be sending vacation schedules for their people to 1050 anytime soon……….having said that, it is common knowledge that McCown will be away for pretty much half of the summer so there will be plenty of opportunities for Naylor to do his 1050 show while McCown is on vacation

Jamally 6 years ago

preface: Big Tim and Sid fan. Big B-Ball fan….

The first segment of Tim and Sid yelling about the Lebron opt out was TERRIBLE radio because a) not funny b) they are SOOOOO much better than this. They are intelligent when they want to be, but this was bad. When they force it as if they HAVE to put on the act, it’s not funny.

Sperk 6 years ago

Long time reader of the blog but first time poster as I felt compelled to bring up a point about Toronto Sports Radio that I’ve been mulling over….I found (as an article by Mike in Boston also points out) that I am less and less inclined to listen to sports radio anymore as:

– I don’t appreciate the constant shilling/slamming of Rogers or Bell’s properties. Nobody on the FAN ever says anything bad about the Jays or anything good about the CFL.

– I used to listed to PTS constantly but, over the past year, have grown tired of Bob going on for an entire 20 minute segment about what pills he’s taking, what’s going on in his backyard etc. It’s evident to me he doesn’t watch sports anymore and now follows everything from afar. His co-hosts (except for Brunt) range from the moronic (Shannon) to the acerbic (Cox) to the uninformed (Butch).

I have found I’ve gone from listening to sports talk 6 hours a day every day (at work, on the road, doing errands around the house) to the point where I’ve not listened to the FAN or TSN for almost three months.

The funny thing is that I feel more connected and informed about what has been going on in sports than ever! I get my info from the web and from league specific satellite radio stations (NFL Network, NBA, MLB Network etc.). As mentioned, I feel more “tuned” in now than ever and am enjoying watching sports more. The thing I’ve realized is that sports radio has gone too far away from actually talking about sports: whether it is McCown grumbling about what young people like, Tim/Sid/Richards various attempts at comedy, Brady/Walker’s need to yell at one another about anything/everything etc.

What I like about MLB, NBA, NFL Network radio is they actually talk about the games! Who’s playing well, what are the games to watch, who won last night. These three basic things are elements you no longer hear on Toronto Sports Talk anymore and I miss it.

• comment-avatar

Sperk: For your first post here, that was perfect.

You nailed it, Sir! Kudos!

• comment-avatar

Agree with GCM — post more often Sperk. Really enjoyed reading your perspective.

• comment-avatar

Hell of a first post. Can’t disagree with any of it. (But to be honest, I did like Bob’s rooster in the backyard story.)

• comment-avatar

@ Jake, “Glad to see Mike Wilner finally mustered up the courage to join the discussion here.”

I was going to say the exact same thing, lol.

• comment-avatar

I believe this week is the 6 year anniversary of this site………..thanks once again to TSM for providing this option to us……………and kudos once again to mike in boston for generating so much discussion over the last several months with his weekly posts

Nan Young Lee 6 years ago

Who thought we’d see Daniel Taylor quoting Cathal Kelly? Good article on Suarez with a link to the excellent ESPN piece.

• comment-avatar

@sperk What I like about MLB, NBA, NFL Network radio is they actually talk about the games!

In a bland, banal way. Everything you said is exactly the reason I don’t listen to those networks. I guess there’s a niche that do but the reason Sirius’ revenues are pathetic is the horrible quality of their content. I do agree with your comments about PTS and those 2 assholes on Fan 590 from 1 to 4 PM. Walker yells at Brady but not vice versa.

Sperk 6 years ago

@yaz…to each their own and I certainly can’t disagree that the quality of the broadcasters on the NFL, MLB and NBA networks is at the same caliber for the reasons you stated, the networks don’t make money so they don’t pay for top talent. Those networks are obviously also as much as a shill for their product as the FAN is for Rogers but I think the difference (for me at least) is that because they want to protect their product, they are less inclined to go on and on about some stupid thing someone said on twitter or concentrate on making fun of athletes for the purposes of getting a cheap laugh (both are two favourite subjects for Tim and Sid) or what athlete is sleeping with what movie star. I find that they do talk about the games and the product in general more frequently which is why I am interested in sports….if I wanted to listen to people fail at being funny I’d listen to a comedy network, if I cared what happened on twitter then I’d check twitter. I listen to sports radio because I want to hear about sports.

Nan Young Lee 6 years ago

This wasn’t bland. Chris Sheridan went on Cleveland radio. The hosts and Sheridan talked about LeBron, when they weren’t attacking each other:

Nan Young Lee 6 years ago

This was a good article on the Lebron chronicles. Opening lines:

“The odyssey that is LeBron James’ grown-up version of free agency hits its ninth day Wednesday with no resolution — only a deepening sense that the finish line is near.
    Oh, and one more thing: Everyone, given the choice, presumably would opt for LeBron’s immature version of free agency from four years ago. At least that was over fast.”