Thursday Toronto Sports Media Musings

Thursday Toronto Sports Media Musings

By TSM

Couple or quick thoughts on a Thursday night:

One interview does not make for much of a sample size but the PTS segment tonight where Alex Anthopoulos was interviewed by Sid Seixeiro & Elliotte Friedman was as good as it gets on PTS.

One day McCown will be gone and it’s rare moments like that segment that suggest perhaps life will go on at the fan when he’s gone.

Why was it so so good? Easy. The questions asked were the exact ones we as fans wanted asked. AA didn’t say very much in his answers, it was, to me anyway, all about the questions and the back and forth. Really good radio.

I am reminded each and every day I listen to sports radio that the more the hosts add shtick or gimmick to their shows the less listenable they are. Classic example to me is Richards in the morning and Tim and Sid. Both shows are good when the hosts stick to being sports radio hosts; talking the games, the issues and interviewing guests. Air horns, songs and other diversions make them annoying and instantly force me to switch stations.

I have no clue whether or not he is ever right, but is there a more colourful host on radio than Dirk Hayhurst?

The more I listen to Brady and Walker in the morning, the more it’s starting to sound like Walker and Brady. Anyone else seem to sense a shift in who is driving the show????

Discuss amongst yourselves, who is missed more from their show; David Naylor or Bob McCown???

Anyone else watching the tv show Tyrant??? How about Black Box. I’m liking them both.

I’ve seen one good movie this summer- Chef. It’s good fun for fellow foodies and a good flick to take the kids to too.

If you have never been to the Rogers Cup tournament in Toronto you are missing the best live sports event in the city.

Lionel Richie was at the Molson Amphitheatre last night and yours truly was there. Lionel looked the same, sounded like a lounge bar singer and it was good fun. One thing that drives me nuts. When people refer to Toronto they call it Toronto, Canada. Every time he referred to Toronto it was “Toronto, Canada”. When he plays Detroit is it “Detroit, USA”??????

Lots of opinions on whether the blue jays should or shouldn’t have made a trade today. To me the good news is that we are talking blue jays baseball on or about August 1.

Anyone else notice the morning after the Maple Leafs signed Jake Gardner every radio station led their sports news segments with a recap of the blue jays win the night before. Over at the Fan, it was Leafs first – then Jays. I know hockey town first – just kind of odd given news of the signing broke during afternoon drive.

Happy Friday/long weekend

I wrote this on my iphone so pardon typos!!

COMMENTS

WORDPRESS: 14
  • comment-avatar
    Dave in Bolton 6 years ago

agree won’t be long prob by September before Brady is at a new radio station or time slot and Walker will be on his own. I think they have been testing side kicks for him ever since Brady has been on summer vacation. If I were the new PD at 1050 id go hard after Walker and give him the 4 pm time slot.

• comment-avatar

Yeah, the interview by Sid and Friedman with AA was good. They didn’t shy away from questions about Rogers commitment to payroll. I actually hate Rogers as Jays owners, but I give credit to The Fan because they are clearly allowed to address questions about payroll etc.

• comment-avatar

Hayhurst was fabulous. Terrible move by Sportsnet to let him go. Kevin Barker is OK, but a huge downgrade from Hayhurst.

• comment-avatar

I can’t lie, the Tim and Sid air horn makes me chuckle every time. So it shows there’s an audience for everything. But I admit it gets annoying if a 20 min segment goes by and nothing of substance was discussed. So like anything, moderation is key.

George 6 years ago

I really can’t stand Walker in the morning. Not sure if it’s just my taste, but when he refers to his GF as “my chick” it just makes me cringe. Also really bothers me that he talks to Leafs/Jays/Raps fans as an expert when he just arrived in the city.

Steve in Waterloo 6 years ago

Sid and Friedman were good – I liked Elliot’s “just cause I want to know” question.

There was a day when I thought Friedman was being mentored along as a potential replacement for Bob on PTS. That’s seems to no longer be the case, but I would be okay with it if did.

Steve in Waterloo 6 years ago

ALSO meant to add to my comment.

I like the way AA handled the interview. He’s honest, careful not to tamper nor hang out other GM’s in his comments, but seems to genuinely do his best to respond.

He can’t say things, and we all understand that. But, I don’t feel dirty after listening to an AA interview, unlike his successor.

Another Steve 6 years ago

Since you brought up films – go see “Boyhood.” It’s worth it.

• comment-avatar

I fins PTS is actually an interesting show when that Dinosaur McCowan is on vacation. We actually get to hear about sports instead of his personal life that noone cares about or him insulting the other cohosts.

Antonio 6 years ago

If you follow Arash Madani on Twitter you were treated to no less than 17 tweets during the AA interview. If you don’t believe me, pull up his twitter account.

For the love of God, if I wanted a word-for-word account of the interview, I would have tuned in or later listen to the podcast.

• comment-avatar

Caught a few minutes of the PTS roundtable yesterday. Unlistenable. As competent as Sid is on his own or with one co-host, there is a skill to driving the conversation with the larger group. It was basically 3 guys trying to top each other’s zingers, and Perkins.

I’m on the road this weekend, so no column from me today.

Jamally 6 years ago

Ken Reid is awful – way too many one liners and random jokes. Trying too hard to be funny. Generally adds nothing to the conversation. He seems to be the latest Rogers golden child on every show he can get himself on. Single handedly ruined the roundtable yesterday.

• comment-avatar

If they are trying to cross-promote their highlight show by sticking Reid on PTS, have evanka on too. I presume pts has not had a woman co-host since the last time mary ormsby was on.

Did PK need two segments and the Ray Rice/etc story get thrown in the bullets?

Interesting comment by Simmons today in his Sunday column:

“I hope this isn’t true but I keep hearing that Joe Bowen won’t be doing any Leafs games on television this season. Radio only, I’m told, for the voice of the Leafs”