Joe Bowen & Jim Ralph Return To Radio?

by TSM

Happy Friday!

While nothing has been confirmed, all signs are pointing to Jim Ralph and Joe Bowen retuning to the airwaves for the Toronto Maple Leafs games. With Bowen specifically, all I’ve been able to get consensus on are the radio airwaves. I don’t know who is in the running for the TV side, but it sounds like Joe is OUT on the tv side. Again, not confirmed but it looks like Bowen’s gig could very well be radio only.

Ask yourself this question though, given the popularity of the Maple Leafs and their presence on the Forbes most valuable sports franchises list, do you think the fans are getting the very best talent on the radio and tv for their games????? Discuss amongst yourselves.

Paul Beeston was on the Fan morning show as I made my way in to work this am. He’s a hoot to listen to and he always has a good story to tell. It was interesting to hear him say, emphatically, that money didn’t play any role in the Blue Jays standing pat on trade deadline day this year. Beeston basically made it sound like Alex Anthopolous only needs to ask for the money in order to get it and that AA, or the baseball department for that matter, never requested any additional funding. The reason, Beeston said, that no deal got made is that the baseball department didn’t feel any of the trades made sense and not for money reasons.

Beeston is infamous for saying that a good accountant could make chicken salad out of chicken [email protected]#@!#!. So words, specifically his words should be treated suspiciously at best.

Whether you believe him or not(based on my twitter account most do not), all signs across the business suggest that the Blue Jays owners are being a hell of a lot more cost conscious in general. The drumbeats are very loud that every penny is being watched and accounted for in the Rogers Media world too. I am told that the changes we saw this week out west are just the beginning of what could be sweeping changes in Sportnet west and sportsnet in general. More than one insider tells me that the sales of the NHL ads aren’t selling as quickly as hoped so far and that’s part of the reason for the recent cutbacks. I am not sure I believe that…but we will see.

Happy weekend!

Dan
Dan
August 8, 2014 11:31 am

Leafs fans probably don’t realize this as they have never listened to any other home broadcast before, but Bowen is just terrible. The over the top shouting and pure, unforgiving homerism is too much for any non-Leafs fan to bare. The only thing worse than keeping Bowen would be getting Bob Cole

How is it Toronto gets one of the worst broadcasters in hockey AND one of the worst commentator pairings in the MLB?

August 8, 2014 12:07 pm

If TSN uses guys like Cuthbert & Ferraro for its regional Leafs games this season that is a major upgrade on Bowen/Millen

Tom A
Tom A
August 8, 2014 3:30 pm

I hope this news means the demise of LeafsTV. The station could have been so much more had they tried even a little

Lloyd
Lloyd
August 8, 2014 5:33 pm

And today’s round table: Butch Carter, Dave Perkins and Paul Jones. What, Shannon wasn’t available? If that’s what’s for dinner, I’ll go to bed hungry.

Sam
Sam
August 8, 2014 6:55 pm

Seriously TSN, Megan Fox as a Leafs… I`m sorry Blue Lunch guest? To promote a movie? Ugh.

Sam
Sam
August 8, 2014 6:56 pm

Sorry to clarify a TSN 1050 radio guest.

quint1964
quint1964
August 8, 2014 9:17 pm

I used to enjoy Bowen but the whole bit seems tired.. However the most enjoyable radio pairing for me in the past was bowan / watters. Watters was great in the 80’s, as it was difficult to listen to the games most nights.
Today,with so many options, I still find it difficult to choose a modern day classic.
I wish a duo would try something different. Since its TV.. why not drop the play by play. Just give me facts, cover replay and analysis but I don’t need the chatter between whistles.

Mullah_Kintyre
Mullah_Kintyre
August 9, 2014 9:10 am

Re LeafsTV — Has anything been said about the future of the three MLSE TV channels? Are all three simply going to continue as they are now, without any live Leafs, Raptor, or Toronto FC games?

I’ve also read assertions that the TSN3, 4, and 5 channels vaguely announced a few months ago will actually be merely the present TSN(1) now split into four regional feeds, in the same manner as Rogers Sportsnet, with the present TSN2 remaining as a national channel. Has this been confirmed by Bell? It certainly would seem to make sense, as it would allow TSN to have their counterpart to Sportsnet Ontario for showing their half of the regional Leafs games, and also explains the lack of CRTC licence applications for these allegedly new channels, since they won’t be new channels but simply TSN split into regional feeds sometime showing separate programming.

I also agree with the need to cut down the chatter during TV game broadcasts. We can get all of the extra babble we want now from all-sports radio, TV, podcasts, etc. We don’t want or need it while the actual game is in progress. I would prefer to hear ambient sounds from the arena/stadium as much as possible. It’s TV, not radio, and along with the on-screen graphics giving us any relevant information, we don’t need some guying describing what we can plainly see for ourselves. Play-by-play announcing on television is largely pointless and needs to be greatly reduced if not eliminated, but of course the TV people all refuse to acknowledge part of what they do has now become a pointless and annoying intrusion into the experience of watching a televised game.

yaz
yaz
August 9, 2014 4:44 pm

@Sam Ya, I was a bit thrown by that Megan Fox interview on the Brian Hayes show. Degrades his brand. I think it was in the 2PM hour when there isn’t anybody listening anyway, but still. The studio must pay for it as an advertisement I would think. Why else would TSN 1050 run it? Their demo drools over Megan Fox enough to listen to her blab about her anecdotes about Comic-Con? Tim & Sid were yakking about something equally boring down the dial at the same time, tennis or something, so I flipped back and forth. Can’t wait for Leafs camp to open to drown out all this peripheral noise.

yaz
yaz
August 10, 2014 11:36 am

Wherever Joe Bowen lands on Radio for Leafs games I’ll be listening to him and muting my TV. 5 second delay or so on radio is better than whichever tool they get to call Leafs games on TV.

Stephane
Stephane
August 11, 2014 9:43 am

I too believe that Leaf fans deserve a better TV team. I’m a hug efan of Cole, Hughson and Cuthbert. Ferrero, Ward, and really the rest of the TSN coverage are pretty terrible. The sportenet side isn’t much to write home about either with Kypreos, McLean leading the pack of mediocre delivery. Romanuk will be a nice addition. Bowen is OK, but the jokes and loud laughter at things that arent funny have to stop. He’s almost as bad as Hoggie with his over the top laughter.

Stephane
Stephane
August 12, 2014 10:23 am

Also of note: Butch Carter and bob McCown are possibly the worst combo in the history of people being in the same room together.

WestDale Rocks
WestDale Rocks
August 12, 2014 11:22 am

Bowen on radio would mean no more Jon Abbott, which is a GREAT thing! And hopefully the changes to TV games mean no more Paul “Howdy Doody” Hendrick and Greg Millen. Both were apologists for the team, especially when the games were on Laffs TV. Somebody mentioned Bowen and Watters. They were really good together, but I have to say that I like Ralph and Bowen as well.

Fishtug
Fishtug
August 12, 2014 6:21 pm

McCown may have lost a step but he is miles better then the love in that was PTS on his last week off – The in jokes and cutsey stuff was vomitus – At times it was so syrupy I thought I was listening to 100 Huntley Street at times – Jeff Blair is slightly better – And the real bright spot is McCown never ever has Mike Wilner as a guest- Wilner is the biggest jerk on Toronto radio -As an aside I don’t think Bobcat has any say in the matter but most of the commercials are terrible – Especially that pompous fool who runs the clothing store-

Brent
Brent
August 13, 2014 2:50 pm

McCown is still the bees knees. The rest are riding on his coattails.

While Carter has some good insight, I agree that he’s pretty much the worst. Sometimes he chuckles when a guest is talking and it’s grating. As is the “alright?” he throws in at the end of every passionate point he makes. However, I don’t buy the Bowen hate. He’s been around a while and has earned his stripes. Ralph is a much bigger homer. My ears have been begging for that dude and his pack-a-minute voice need to get off the radio for some time.

GreyCountyMike
GreyCountyMike
August 16, 2014 10:36 am

Once a decent play-by-play man, Joe Bowen has become a parody with his unnecessary yelling and over-the-top laughing at his own jokes. It’s particularly bad when the Leafs are losing a game decidedly. Instead of offering any sort of legitimate observation, nevermind commentary, he immediate shifts into the jokester role. He starts making corny barbs, usually about the opponents or the city they represent. What’s particularly immature about Bowen is the way he makes fun of people’s names. I mean, c’mon Joe, are you 13?

Bowen has never ever passed what I consider to be the simplest test for any team’s play-by-play man: Will you deliver the same shot at a guy on “your” team that you just made at an opposing player?

Bowen will make fun of another team’s player and even superstar, particularly one from overseas (purposely mispronouncing their names, etc.) … but will get all defensive about even mild criticism of a Leaf, even a borderline one like Fraser McLaren.

All in all, Bowen lacks any credibility when it comes to commenting on the sport he purports to be an expert in.

GreyCountyMike
GreyCountyMike
August 16, 2014 10:45 am

And one more thing about Bowen …

Any little credibility he had left was completely shot two seasons ago. Remember when McLaren viciously knocked out Ottawa’s David Dziurzynski in a fight? Bowen and Ralph were doing the game on radio and, when McLaren nailed Dziurzynski, Bowen went ballistic … absolutely thrilled that the Senator was down. It was actually Ralph who brought a sense of reality to the situation, immediately advising that it was no joking matter and rather a serious situation for Dziurzynski. Bowen? He was still celebrating … and then eventually shut up … for maybe three seconds.

fan forever
fan forever
September 22, 2014 8:24 pm

Most of you jokers haven’t got a clue! Have you listened to Ottawa games with Dean Brown and Denis Potvin or the American NBC broadcasters on Sundays late in the season. Even watching games on the satellite Centre Ice package!! These people simply put their audience to sleep. Appreciate the Bowens, Hughsons, Coles and Ralphies of the business. On Leafs TV you expects homers, it is not the opponents television station or national station. These guys put life into the game and keep everyone in it. I enjoy the voices you the people you ridicule, try and find better!!

Leafswin
Leafswin
September 24, 2014 2:29 pm

How do we screw this up?? Hey I know, lets put the best guy since Bob Cole on tne radio and put a guy we have not heard from in years doing play by play for Leafs games.Lets take all sense of tradition and kicked it to the curb because it’s about the younger demographic. It’s by no means about the older fan enjoying the voice he grew up with or Ron McClean,who was the best hockey host of his generation.No no, it’s about pizaz. A guy leaning on his elbow on a red couch asking questions. Man has this country has gone and screwed things up. I might just do what another person wrote in.Turn the TV down and listed to Joe Bowen on the radio. Paul Rominuck?? Really?

andy
andy
September 29, 2014 3:41 pm

Worst homer has to be Jack Edwards and Brinkley with the Bruins.

Cathy Ann Collver
Cathy Ann Collver
October 3, 2014 9:38 pm

get joe back on tv with the leafs

Dale Teege
Dale Teege
October 22, 2014 8:56 am

I agree with Yaz. I’ll take the 5 sec delay any time. Nobody is more exciting than Joe! Those others don’t have a clue how to make it humorous, tell stories and do a play by play all at the same time, like Joe and Greg. Goodbye Leafs TV, You’ll be loosing a lot of fans!!!!

Bob
Bob
November 3, 2014 10:52 pm

Joe Bowen,Jimmy Ralph If they locate Harry Neal I wouldn’t even bother turning on the big screen.
Sure they lean the leafs way the announcers on television give me the impression
they would rather be broadcasting Montreal or Vancouver.
These 3 know to laugh and I know some see hockey as religion but I still believe
its about entertainment and Joe and Jimmy add to the enjoyment.

Jim
Jim
January 9, 2015 1:44 am

Losing Joe Bowen from TV has dropped the entertainment value of the broadcasts way down. I truly enjoyed Joe’s laughter and the banter with Greg Millen. Joe also knows how to announce the game so it is exciting. Even useless Henny started to become entertaining. Now with Romaniuk it is boring with no chemistry. Get Joe back on TV.