Seen & Heard – Weekend Edition

photo: Adelaide’s awesome new free parking/bike lanes

by mike in boston – hatemailaccount at gmail com

The Sports Media Bubble

We’re in the dog days of summer and there’s not a ton going on right now. One thing that is happening more often is that the people we discuss in this space write to me to take issue with something, or to clarify their side of things, or to correct factual mistakes.

I mention this because a lot of readers have correctly alluded to the sports media bubble that seems to exist in Toronto. The bubble is that nearly every media member belongs to either Rogers or Bell in some fashion, and you can go a whole day on TSN radio or the FAN hearing only members of the same tribe discussing each other’s work. For example, the way Rogers covers the Jays is by interviewing the same Sportsnet employees over and over again. The same is true for the way TSN covers the Leafs … it’s one TSN personality after another, with a few TSN affiliated newspaper people mixed in. This creates an echo chamber, where certain opinions quickly get crystallized into consensus simply because those are the only opinions being discussed.

In the days before media convergence you could count on a range of opinions from the media and not have to think about which giant company was signing the paycheques. But now both teams live in their own bubble. When I reply to people who write to me I try to give them the perspective of a listener/reader who is not in that bubble. It can be really hard to get one’s point across, but I’ll keep trying. This leads me to a few things I want to discuss this week.

Is there still a market for feature writers?

The Score (not owned by Rogers) fired most of their writers this week as they moved to focusing exclusively on real-time  updates for their wildly popular mobile app. Baseball fans will remember that the Score brought a bunch of Jays bloggers under their umbrella several years ago and gave them a much bigger platform for their writing. Sports on Earth — a Grantland-like venture by USA Today and others — also fired most of their writers this week with many of the people in question finding out via Twitter.

Many of the writers for both sites will get snapped up by existing media outlets no doubt. The worrying trend is that companies are getting out of the feature-writing game. Why? We can blame this on Twitter or on the fact that people don’t care about in-depth work anymore, but that rings hollow to me. Most of the statistical revolution we are seeing in sports is driven by in-depth analysis and discussion. A more plausible explanation is that in the current age of advertising you need a lot of clicks to generate revenue, and long pieces don’t generate enough hits.

If true, this is an example of the advertising model being broken, not the content. As someone who grew up reading long pieces and still spends a lot of time doing so, this worries me greatly. One only needs to look at the recent lead columnists for the major papers to see the harmful effects of this “click first, think later” strategy. Cox, Kelly, and Simmons have all resorted to shameless trolling in their recent writing. It’s hard to imagine the now retired Stephen Brunt writing the kinds of pieces these guys have been producing. Somehow he managed to generate quality columns week after week. But I guess that was before the current digital age, so maybe he would be no better than the others today if he were still working as a journalist. (Arthur seems to be the only one who has resisted obvious click-bait, but we’ll see how long that lasts in his new job.)

Media on Media Crime

Andrew Walker appeared on Toronto Mike’s podcast this week. It’s worth your time to listen to it. I’m not sure how Don Kollins feels about his talent doing this kind of “off-script” appearance (Brady was on a past episode) but as a listener it’s great to hear these guys talk about their jobs in a more casual setting. The most noteworthy part of the discussion was Walker ripping Marty York. On Twitter York has been going after Walker for a few weeks now, and Walker took this opportunity to fight back.

I’ll be totally honest with you, I am too young to remember when York was a respected member of the media. Most of my life he’s been this odd character working for fringe outlets or in an adjunct role. I’m not exactly sure what his beef with Walker is, but it’s pretty clear to me that if York were working at a major outlet he wouldn’t be hounding a fellow media member the way he has been.

The same phenomenon was at work in this tweet from Al Strachan

Strachan used to be a personality on HNIC and a regular hockey columnist at the Sun and other papers. Like so many, he had issues with Brian Burke, but was otherwise relatively controversy-free. It was very odd to read these very personal blasts from Al against Rogers’ Moore. One explanation is that Strachan is friends with the recently fired Don Taylor. Another is that he has a past issue with Moore. A third explanation is that, like York, Strachan sees public attacks on media members as a way to insert himself into the conversation. It worked.

I’ll bring this back to my point about the media bubble. Strachan and York are on the outside of that bubble. Many of those on the inside produce terrible work on a day to day or week to week basis. It wouldn’t be crazy for either of these men to ask himself, “why not me?”

As someone who needs to produce a column most weeks, I’m very grateful for these outbursts. But as a listener and a reader I’m not especially impressed by personal attacks. I would rather hear criticisms of the quality of people’s work. (Mirtle is the only media member who seems to care about holding his colleagues to professional standards). But most of what we get these days is unprovoked attacks or one side accusing the other of being a shill.

Quick Hits

Dan Snyder – owner of the Washington NFL team – gave an interview recently where he claimed to have immense respect for Native Americans, and that the Redskin name was not in any way a slur. Here is an excellent reply by the National Congress of American Indians. I can understand not wanting to change the name. But every time he opens his mouth to tell us that it is not a slur he reveals himself to be just another bigot telling historically oppressed minorities what is and is not offensive to them. It’s embarrassing.

Rick Westhead is settling in to his new role at TSN and delivered a good piece on the ongoing efforts at unionization in the CHL. I don’t have a lot of opinions on this subject, but it seems clear that the leagues are making more money than ever before and this might change what they owe the players. I think partial university scholarships are a good idea, especially since most of these players will eventually need another career.

The NCAA/O’Bannon ruling came down yesterday. I have not had time yet to fully understand its nuances but this appears to pave the way for some kind of profit sharing between the NCAA and its players. It will be really interesting to see if this finally demolishes the facade that college sports are about amateur rather than professional sports.

Low Hanging Fruit

• Go to TSN.ca and try to find Westhead’s article without using the link above. I spent 5 minutes before giving up. They claim they are redesigning the site and that can’t happen soon enough. It’s a bloated mess that obscures rather than highlights its original content.

• Nice to hear Tim&Sid back together. That’s all.

• We’ve heard a ton of the B team on the FAN – Wong, Rusic, Ennis, Sammut – this summer. Has anyone stood out to you as the obvious next in line for a promotion? Ennis seems to be getting the most airtime, but I could be wrong about that.

• TSN’s iApp lets you listen to feeds from any of their other stations. This is a well designed feature.

Thanks for reading and commenting,

Until next time …

Steve
Steve
August 9, 2014 10:19 am

In regards to Westhead’s work on the CHL union thing, you said you think partial scholarships are a good idea. THE PLAYERS ALREADY GET THOSE! In many cases players are already getting full scholarships. Try to stay informed.

Strach Fan
Strach Fan
August 9, 2014 11:04 am

Moore apparently fired Al Strachan at CBC, which would explain the animosity!

alex
alex
August 9, 2014 12:04 pm

I remember on WIP radio in philly in late 90s and early 2000s, al strachan was a running joke as a hack who just threw things outbto see whst stuck (a hockey version of peter vecsey).

(Another) Andrew
(Another) Andrew
August 9, 2014 12:46 pm

The only people actually offended by the Redskin name are upper class white liberals and their middle class sycophants. Native Americans who pretend to be offended (ie the National Congress of American Indians) are usually dependent on rich whites to make money. That, however, doesn’t mean that Dan Snyder is not a bigot.

I could be mistaken but I think I heard on a broadcast (about 7 or 8 years ago) that he was a supporter of Israel – a country virtually all people outside of the US and the Conservative Party of Canada consider to be a racist apartheid state. There are numerous other sports franchise owners (especially in the NFL) who are also known to donate money to Israeli “charities”. Given the ongoing theft of Palestinian land (not recognised even by the USA) and the recent killing of nearly 2000 Palestinians I’d prefer to hear our media question these prominent and influential owners about their commitment to Israel rather than status-seeking grandstanding on the Redskin name. Unfortunately that would require a genuinely curious and confrontational sports media rather than the corporate lickspittles we have today.

Ken
Ken
August 9, 2014 1:29 pm

The media bubble as you call is to sports radio what Top 40 is to FM radio. Simply crap.

By hiring much of the print media, they control much more of the message. While these writers turned radio hosts will say they are free to write and say anything, I have my doubts. Anyone who has worked for a large corporation knows that there is always implied pressure to sing from the company song book. So while the corporation may never explicitly tell them what to say or not to say, most know what songs need to be sung.

With respect to the B Team, well that would imply they are a step away from being on the A Team. I would classify them as the D Team at best. There was a time when the Fan nurtured talent, but those days are long ago under different management.

Most of these guys sound exactly what you would expect; young, inexperienced, boring, lowly paid media graduates that can read sports scores. Because you can read sports scores and are a sports fan does not make you a good radio host. To me they are all equally as bad/boring as the next. I cannot say I blame them, as to have an opinion; especially one that counters the Rogers message of the day could mark the end of their hopeful career. I would love to hear one of them go on an anti-Rogers rant and see how long it is before they are doing sports updates on AM 680.

Clair A Fye
Clair A Fye
August 9, 2014 3:02 pm

(Another) Andrew you have a right to make ridiculous blanket statements. You don’t have the right to throw out such unsubstantiated blanket statements and pose them as facts. “Native Americans who pretend to be offended”? You know this how? As for your comments on Israel and Daniel Snyder, you actually believe his views on that topic are somehow related to his views on the team’s name? I’m not sure Snyder is a bigot either. Ignorant? Absolutely. If you want to be taken seriously, back up your arguments with facts.

yaz
yaz
August 9, 2014 3:08 pm

I enjoyed the Walker podcast. I thought he was younger than 30 as well. I still liked Brady/Lang better. I have a tough time trusting a sports radio guy with a deep broadcasting voice. How much can he know about sports at 30? Still, it is the only show I listen to in that time slot.

I wonder if his offer in Vancouver was for more money? Going from a one trick town like Edmonton to another one trick bigger town in Vancouver would have been a sideways move for Walker. ( ok, 1 1/2 tricks if you count the CFL ). Moving to Toronto he’s in a top 5 media market with 3 of the big dogs MLB, NBA, NHL to report on; that had to factor heavily in his decision to move to Toronto. And, given that he’s only 30, he and his agent likely figure after 5 years here he may have a shot at a gig down the road in a U.S. city with all 4 major sports.

Being in Toronto, Walker will mix with and develop a rapport with every major sports media personality & producers and develop lasting personal and business relationships, something that would have happened in Vancouver as well but to a much smaller degree.

August 9, 2014 10:33 pm

Mike(In Boston)to piggyback your point= regarding this media monopoly Personally Im getting sick and tired of the hypnosis attempt
from rogers media. They use this synergy between sportsnet and the fan to totally brainwash people, especially when it comes to the jays. For example last year they pumped up the team across all their platforms, ainointing them champs befor the team even hit the field then when the team fails they have their radio persolalities saying it’s not the media’s fault expectation for last years team was so high. Rogers media engages in mass manipulation, Your culprits specifically Mike Wilner, Jeff Blair, Bob Mcowan. There is absoulutely no objectivity within rogers camp concerning the blue birds, The objectivity offered up by Zaun appears to have been shot down by the Rogers broadcasting suits Scott Moore maybe????? On the topic of objectivity it has always driven me crazy when rogers sports media personalities interview their own people, if this is not a form of media dictatorship I don’t know what is, I guess only sportsnets opinion counts.This an example of a sportsnet reporter question to John Gibbons. ” John the umpires are the reason you guys lost the game tonight, what do you
think

On another note

I think we can prepare to see a stripdown of Rogers Media. I’ve observed an increasing trend of media companies in north America divesting of print media assets.

With guy Lawrence at the top and all the changes which have gone down so far as a cost cutting measures a strpdown ofogers media appears inevitable. Will the jays be apart of that strip down. Rogers right now is squarly focused on 1. Wireless and Competition 2. New Hockey Package. 3. Resolution to cable cutters/subscriber loss. If the jays do not content this year I would have to beiieve that Rogers will put the jays up for sale along with other non stock moving assets otherwaise known as potential liabilities.

Nan Young Lee
Nan Young Lee
August 10, 2014 11:14 am

Even though Marty York is no longer with the MSM in TO it’s nice to see him wishing his former brethren well:

“Marty York @MartyYork · Aug 7
Despite inane ramblings of ass-kissing, media homers who’ll ultimately lose their jobs in Tor, #Jays lose again. #O’s+Yanks better. #toldya”

Surprising to hear on Toronto Mike that Andrew Walker listens to Scott Van Pelt & Ryen Russillo on ESPN (1-4pm) instead of Tim and Sid.

It was nice to hear Walker not being overtly partisan. He talked about the advantages the Fan590 legacy has given them over 1050 and called Mike Richards genuinely funny.

Walker also said producer Ryan Fabro was a ‘superstar’ and the one most responsible for the success of Brady/Walker. If Fabro is that good maybe 1050 should hire him as their Program Director.

Apparently Walker reads the posts on this site but not the comments. Reminded me of what Margaret Thatcher said at the beginning of this video about how even the toughest guys can be hurt by things written about them:

Nan Young Lee
Nan Young Lee
August 10, 2014 11:49 am

According to Forbes, Morgan Stanley in ‘panic mode’ over the sale of Bills:

August 10, 2014 1:03 pm

If the Rogers family is so involved in the bidding process an lets just say they come out the winners, what happens to the NHL package. Although we know that Rogers as a corporate entity cannot be an owner of an NfL franchise, we can’t be neive enough to think that Rogers communications will not be involved with the financial and content side of things. The attempt of The Rogers family purchase of the bills kind of ties in to my previous comments regarding the media side divesting of assets. My earlier point seems a bit more tangable in a sense that Rogers would likely free up money from the sale of some of their no or low profit generating assets (blue Jays, Magazines) the sub licensing of NHL games to TSN could be at play here as well. I do believe that with the Rogers family name heavily out there as canadates for ownership of the bills it will be quite embarrassing if these guys get blown out of the water on the bid, this is the Rogers family and their group will go all in. So anyone who is a Rogers employee look out you could be the next sacrificial lamb. Every head in the corporate empire has a dollar figure, a dolloar figure whicn in Ed Rogers eyes can ultimately be used to bring an NFL franchis to Toronto.

Dustin
Dustin
August 11, 2014 1:25 am

It will be interesting to see how the new TSN site is received. Having seen it at multiple stages, it’s definitely a big change! Question is… Is it too big of a change! The last version I saw included tags, inline videos, and a very simplistic design when compared to the current site.

Jerry
Jerry
August 11, 2014 8:10 am

Brunt was the best of a mediocre bunch but let’s not overstate his merits. Cox, Kelly, Simmons have just fully revealed what crappy writers they were all along.

I can think of 10 great writers in the U.S. on ESPN, FOX, Grantland, and elsewhere. Who are the great Canadian writers? Arthur? NO. Blair? NO. Feschuk? NO.

The writing in this country is pretty damn mediocre. Rogers’ pathetic sports magazine is proof of that. Do they still transcribe PTS interviews and treat that as fresh content?

Fan Listener
Fan Listener
August 11, 2014 9:15 am

Hilarious listening to Wilner talk with Walker this morning. Went something like this:

Wilner: after the 9th you just knew the Jays were going to win this one. The Tigers didn’t even threaten.
Walker: … the Tigers had runners on in extra innings
Wilner: really? Well maybe once.
Walker: … twice actually.
Wilner: Well, whatever. Great win for the Jays.

…. Wilner is as bad as his callers. They need to replace him on the post-game with Ben Ennis. He’s so much better.

August 12, 2014 10:43 am

Strach Fan is right…………Moore was the director of CBC Sports before he joined Rogers………….apparently Moore and Strachan didn’t get along too well and Strachan blames Moore for being taken off of Hockey Night In Canada

It is not uncommon for Strachan to criticize people on Twitter…………he is one of the most bitter people when it comes to that………..he loves to take shots at many different people (Scott Moore, Brian Burke, Gary Bettman, Damien Cox, Olivia Chow, etc)

WestDale Rocks
WestDale Rocks
August 12, 2014 11:59 am

(Another) Andrew wins the prize for the stupidest comment ever posted on this site:
“The only people actually offended by the Redskin name are upper class white liberals and their middle class sycophants.”
No, I think people are offended because the name is offensive. Times change. What was acceptable in the 60s and 70s is often no longer acceptable in 2014. Sometimes change isn’t good. But sometimes, when we look closely at something, we realize it isn’t right and it needs to be changed. Just because something has been around forever, doesn’t mean it’s a good thing.
Other changes that need to happen, in no particular order:
1. Cleveland needs to change their name and logo. Indians are people from India and a smiling native American caricature is demeaning.
2. Eskimos is as demeaning a name as Redskins. The proper term is Inuit.
3. The Braves don’t need to change their name, because it connotes ‘strong warrior’, which is a compliment. But the Tomahawk Chop has to go!!

Many say that the Chicago Blackhawks should change their name and logo. I disagree. First, the logo is the coolest in sports, and portrays a proud warrior that rightly demands respect (Note: I am NOT a Hawks fan!). Second, the team was named by founder Frederic McLaughlin, who named the team after his WWI unit, nicknamed the “Blackhawk Regiment”, in honour of a member of the Sauk nation who was prominent in the history of Illinois.

August 12, 2014 6:34 pm

No No NO please no Ben Ennis, Last week Ben made a complete ass of himself.someone called into the Blair show and Ben was guest hosting the caller said based on what was given up for David Price, jays could have definitely put something together. Ben dismissed the point and had the balls to say that Austin Jackson being apart of the Price deal is equivalent to us throwing Jose Bautista in the deal. Now that is just insanely idiodic, non factual and any other name you come up with that has to do with idiocy. Someone making that kind of apples to orange comparison is not fit to be on radio let alone a guest host. I would definitely like to see Wilner ousted, Sportsnet needs to cancel jays talk and move baseball central to a post game format where there is post game analysis of games and news around the league, i’d use shi divide and Zaun for the show. Wilner is long past his broadcasting shelf life.

Sam in Scarb
Sam in Scarb
August 13, 2014 4:43 am

@ mike (in boston) STOP everything go to your cabinet and resume your medication immediately.
Ben Ennis is clearly in the top 5 of voices whom should not even be on the radio in Toronto.

– Gets facts incorrect on a regular basis
– Repeats stupid unfounded rumors as if they were 100% true
– Makes comments like in tennis ” The Brian brothers will be hard to beat in doubles as they share the same brain”

Then again,he clearly works cheap and with all the cost cuttin at robbers he could be in-line for a promotion.

Antonio
Antonio
August 13, 2014 8:31 am

I generally like Walker but I’m going to drive off the road next time he uses the word “conversation”. For fun, count the times he uses that word.

Bob Canuck
Bob Canuck
August 13, 2014 9:10 am

Mike (in Boston),

Thanks for your contributions to this site; much appreciated.

With respect to the Fan’s B team, I would like to see Alex Seixeiro get more time as a co-host. I think he is underutilized at the Fan; he does a good job on The Fantasy Show and I also remember him to be a polished broadcaster when given an opportunity to be a co-host.

GreyCountyMike
GreyCountyMike
August 13, 2014 12:39 pm

@ MIB

You are bang-on with your “echo chamber” observation. That is the best way I’ve heard or seen this phenomenon described yet. Right now, we hear it with baseball talk. Rogers loads up its airwaves with fellow Rogers employees who, for the most part, express the same tone if not the same outright sentiments.

Re Al Strachan: I’ll cut him more slack than others, because I vividly recall him calling out fellow journalists 20 or more years ago, long before Twitter. I particularly remember him taking the late John Robertson to task for shoddy reporting.

August 13, 2014 6:55 pm

Mike(In Boston) Did you here Ennis’s comments this morning regarding people in Regina. He said that the only thing people do in Regina other than watching the CFL is cow tipping. It sounded like Andrew really took exception to the comment and responed by saying “That’s Ignorant” Ennis is a goof. He pauses for an hour between every single word he utters. Again buddy can’t handle extended air time. He should go back to being a once in a while fill in.

(Another) Andrew
(Another) Andrew
August 13, 2014 7:24 pm

No, I think people are offended because the name is offensive. Times change.

Of course. But in the case of the Redskin name the people taking offence (or rather using it to raise their own status through moral preening) are mostly corporate media personalities/hacks etc. (As recently as 2004 90% of Native Americans weren’t offended – Link

Anyway, that’s not what’s bothering me. I couldn’t care less about the fate of all these nicknames. What I’m complaining about is the sports media (which is almost entirely dominated by large corporations) blustering about easy safe stuff that they all agree on whilst ignoring more obvious, controversial, and, I would say, more important political issues involving prominent sports figures.

For example, last week both Robert Kraft, owner of the New England Patriots and NE Revolution, and Randy Levine, President of the New York Yankees, celebrated the Israeli army which is currently involved in highly contentious activities (to put it mildly!) in the Middle East. This is possibly the world’s most discussed and controversial political issue yet the same North American sports media who pride themselves on their social conscience (ha!) when they go after soft targets over something as trivial as a politically incorrect tweet, have absolutely nothing to say about the public stance taken on this issue by powerful figures within the world of sport.

Does the Yankee organization and its sponsors endorse Americans serving foreign armies – especially an army engaged in actions on land the USA does not recognize as belonging to the state they are serving? How do Arab Americans in New England feel about Kraft’s pro-IDF views? Does he speak for the whole organization on this? If their views become widely known will it impact merchandise sales, particularly overseas? Which specific MidEast charities do they sponsor and what exactly do they do? There are many angles that could be pursued but the sports media are either too fearful of an actually controversial issue (unlike the Redskin name which they all seem to agree on) or too uninterested to bother.

GreyCountyMike
GreyCountyMike
August 13, 2014 8:20 pm

@ (Another) Andrew

A flock mentality in the North American sports media? Indeed. It’s easy for most of them to fall in line against the Redskins or Donald Sterling or even their own controversial colleague Stephen A. Smith. But take on something as important as the Middle East? No chance. No wonder, sports departments are still considered the toy departments in most media companies.

August 14, 2014 10:31 am

While it may be true that Brady is back next week that doesn’t mean Ennis won’t be there………….I believe Walker is away and I’m pretty sure I read somewhere on Twitter that Ennis will be filling in for him next week

August 15, 2014 12:23 pm

Does anyone know what the status is on City(Formely City TV)? I’ve been hearing that the station is in big trouble financially, bordering on extiction. What’s the scoop?

August 15, 2014 4:09 pm

Today’s PTS roundtable has some potential (in other words, no Shannon or Butch or Kirke)……….hopefully it will be entertaining………here are the scheduled participants:

– McCown
– Devlin
– Doug Smith
– Friedman

GreyCountyMike
GreyCountyMike
August 15, 2014 5:19 pm

@ Mike S

Potential? Perhaps, but the reality so far is a little underwhelming. Basketball apologist Doug Smith just used the word “I” at least 10 times in less than two minutes.

Bob
Bob
August 15, 2014 8:55 pm

The PTS segment on the Jay’s was hilarious and inept. McCown was mixing up Melky Cabrara with Miguel Cabrera several times. Said Miguel or Miggy instead of Melky at least a couple of times, ( I was laughing so hard I couldn’t count), he referred to Melky as wining the MVP in 2012. The other three clowns all agreed and didn’t correct. Friedman made two factual mistakes. In general it was a complete gong show. Kind of embarrassing for a company that owns the team. I don’t listen very often, but when I do it’s for the same reason I slow down and look at car wrecks.

GreyCountyMike
GreyCountyMike
August 16, 2014 12:21 pm

To the folks who want Wilner gone, unfortunately I don’t see that happening anytime soon judging from his performance on FAN 590 just now. He waves that company flag, almost to the point of ridiculousness.

August 16, 2014 2:11 pm

Hey GreyCountyMike

Rogers Communications could care less who waves the company flag. We’ve seen some of the biggest apologists let go, a name that comes to me is Howard Berger, former leafs beat reporter.
This company like all other media companies is about numbers,It’s not good enough for numbers to be steady or in decline, they must always trend up, so if Mike wants to contine being apologists that he is and has been for this many years it’s all good, but when numbers start trending down so will his career at the fan, it’s possible that Mike’s cheerleading may be for another team quite soon.

As I suggested in one of my previous comments I think the fan should move baseball central to a post game format, with hosts Shi Dhividi and Greg Zaun
Fans would no doubt make the adjustment. Cut the call in nonesense after games, tweets will do just fine. Some of the callers drive me crazy always kissing Wilers ass telling him how great a job he is doing, Anyways people will call in to the stations others shows to offer up opinions about previous days games.

I also feel that prime time with Bob Mcowan has long run it’s course regardless of the ratings. Is there anyone that has taken a look at the ratings without Mcowan, Unless this has been done there is no way to quantify what the shows success would be for a prolonged period without him. IMO
It’s not Mcowan that is the most listen to it’s the show. When Mcowan offers up opinions on sports he does not really talk about, he generalizes which mean
I could host that show and fill a segment with pure generalizations about teams, players etc. He continue’s to make this statement which drives me crazy he has not seen a wrong call in the instant replay era thus far, yet there’s been several.
Bob’s passion appears to lye in all his time away from the station, and he makes that abundantly clear always talking about his big house, all his vacation time his contract blah blah blah. It may be in 590’s interset to give him a fat package and a plan ticket back to vegas. the PTS brand will survive with some innovative ideas.

GoJays
GoJays
August 17, 2014 6:47 am

Wilner haters are really the worst. You don’t know anything about being a ***real*** fan. Wilner is the best thing on radio. He shows you how real fans support the team — through thick and thin.

I love Jays Talk because Wilner will always tell it like it is about this team, rather than just blaming Rogers for everything. This is a great team and true Jays fans know that. The idiots who call in to Jays Talk to spread doom don’t know baseball. I love listening to Mike destroy people who think this team isn’t great. No team has had more injury trouble, and look at how well they play!! Stroman is going to be an all-star. Every other organization would kill to have Alex Anthopoulous as GM.

I wish the complainers would stop calling Jays Talk and leave it to us real die hard fans. I bet Wilner feels the same way. The show is for people who love the Jays like Mike does. Others can get lost. Go Jays and go Wilner!

Nan Young Lee
Nan Young Lee
August 17, 2014 10:12 am

“steve simmons @simmonssteve · 10h
BREAKING in Sunday notes. Anthopoulos, Gibbons to return as GM-manager next season. And the usual this and that.”

GreyCountyMike
GreyCountyMike
August 17, 2014 5:36 pm

@ GoJays

I guess only “real” fans can justify losing two of three to the White Sox? I don’t care how big of a fan Mike Wilner is, there is no legitimate excuse for a team as enriched as his is to lose two series this season to the White Sox. And, guess what, I am a White Sox follower … but I’m also reasonable enough to admit my team is not even mediocre, never mind decent. As for the Jays, you might say they lead the Majors in injuries; truth is, they also lead the Majors in excuses … many continually rolled out by your Messiah Mike Wilner.

August 17, 2014 11:09 pm

It drives me crazy when anyone says the word injuries when referencing the jays, Yankees at one point were missing 5 starters Pineta, Sabathia, Koroda, Phelps and Tanaka(by the way Tanaka is probably the best pitcher in the majors) now there missing four with Pineta back. Baltimore is missing the best catcher in the league for the entire season and a top 3 third basemen, This after a prior injury Machado is in his second stint on the DL . Rays were dropping like flies at one point which led to them being 18 game under five hundred now they are back in the hunt, Rays were missing 2 big peices from their rotation in matt moore who is gone for the season and Jeremy Helickson. despit the Jays being injured they still had the best homerun hitter over the past four years, former NL batting champ, former NL MVP and two cy young awad winners, not to mention one of the best closers in the majors for the past three of 4 years, yet this was not enough to get past a ravaged yankees and Rays lineup. Mr Go Jays don’t forget that Wilner works for the radio station not for the team, Wilner loses journalistic intergrity when it always appears as though he is defending or cheering on the jays. It’s become very obvious that the jays use sportsnet and the fan as their PR departments.

a couple of things 1. Teams are not dying for AA. AA is nowhere near the manager Rays GM Andrew Friedman is or even Oaklands Billy Bean. These two GM’s know how to draft bring players to the majors and move them at the right time to get back a massive return that will keep them competitive. These are two coveted GM’s. There is an arguement to be made that AA has not drafted bats. Most of the big bats in the lineup right now are from the previous GM
JOse Bautista, Edwin Encarnation and Adam Lind are all products of the previous regime, not to mention Casey Jansen and Brett Cecil.

Another Steve
Another Steve
August 17, 2014 11:18 pm

“despit the Jays being injured they still had the best homerun hitter over the past four years, former NL batting champ, former NL MVP and two cy young awad winners”

What former NL MVP do/did the Jays have?

August 18, 2014 6:08 am

Melky Cabreara is a former NL world series MVP.

August 18, 2014 6:12 am

Correction should have been that season witht the giants he was suspended for roids.

August 18, 2014 6:14 am

He is in the running this year though for a batting title.

WestDale Rocks
WestDale Rocks
August 18, 2014 6:18 am

He removed himself from consideration for the batting title that year. Who is the second Cy Young award winner on the staff? I only count RA Dickey. Unless you;re counting Roy Halladay, who is retired and hasn’t pitched for the Jays since 2009. And by the way, there’s no such thing as “NL World Series MVP”. There’s only one ‘World Series MVP’ and he can be from either league.

August 18, 2014 3:30 pm

Westdale Rocks,

No question your right about Melky pulling out of consideration for World Series MVP due to the PED issue, however my point is that Melky is still the total package and still a big peice that the jays have in the lineup while others are injured. Your also right about Jays only having one cy young award winner right now being R.A Dickey. I don;t know why Im always thinking that Mark Burhule is a former cy Young award winner, nonetheless this guy is a first ballot hall of famer with all he’s accomplished in his career. My overall point is that Jays have enough to feed the flock until the others get back. Simularly Baltimore is missing 2 key peices from there defensive and offensive core Machado and Weiters, yet the o’s have gone in the opposite direction on their way to a division title.

Chef Mike in Burlington
August 19, 2014 4:22 pm

All I know is that we have had AA for almost 5 years and Rogers holding the purse for 11 years. Most years there was no money, rebuilding or re-tooling as it were, some years with money, 2 at least. Doesn’t seem it matter, they are out of it by August 1…again…now needing to win 24 of their last 37 to even see the WC spot (.649 by the way…).

So who is the issue, is it the players, coaching, AA or Rogers??

Sam in Scarb
Sam in Scarb
August 20, 2014 6:41 am

@ Chef ahhhhh Rogers.

August 20, 2014 12:12 pm

The problem here is that Rogers is a publically traded company, which is partly controlled by shareholders. From a shareholder standpoint I can understand why a heavy investment in the blue jays is not a wise move, The Toronto blue jays belong to the media side of the business which generates the least of any Rogers business. I think it’s safe to assume that the Blue Jays financial contributions to the consolidated revenue is Negligable(that is if the jays even count towards the consolidated revenue.)
From a wider company standpoint, Rogers has it’s issues it needs to deal with A. In the wireless sector, with the threat of increased competition, and B large subscriber losses on the cable side. At the end of the day where are the blue Jays in the pecking order of assests to improve on , Pretty low. Wireless in this country is alot more lucrative than a baseball team, they will not generate nearly as much revenue streams as a cell phone company. Jays are just plain a simple not that equitable to warrent spending Hundreds of thousands on.
This type of ownership structure should not be in the business of owning a sports franchise, because accountabilty has many faces in that boardroom and their is too many cooks in the kitchen.

August 20, 2014 12:25 pm

yaz
yaz
August 21, 2014 6:11 am

Thanks Neil. I didn’t hear you the first time.

August 21, 2014 6:38 am

I hit the “Post Comment” button the first time and I didn’t see my comment post,
so I thought something went wrong, so I ended up reposting. To my surprise I enentually saw my comment twice. My Bad.

Bobby G
Bobby G
August 21, 2014 9:33 pm

(Another) Andrew: Maybe it is precisely because the sports media has a moral conscience that they don’t go after owners who support Israel. or maybe they just see through the BS pouring out of Palesrine from their Hamas leaders who care more about wiping Israel off the face of the Earth without any regard to the safety if their own people. Or maybe it’s because they’re sports reporters/columnists and don’t delve into the realm of geopolitics. Like ever. He’ll, neither did anyone on here until you drew up this false equivalency. Don’t like it? Don’t support those owners. Same goes with anyone opposed to the Redskins name. Don’t give the NFL/Dan Snyder your money. They’ll get that message loud and clear.